Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

cheerfullydrab posted:

People who didn't answer Barry Lyndon are people who are wrong about movies and, by being wrong about movies, show that they are probably wrong about other things in the world and in their own lives specifically.

You could take stills from almost any scene in Barry Lyndon and frame them and put them in the hall of somebody's apartment and nobody would ever question that they were regular normal art while on their way back from the bathroom or something.
Agreed. Objectively great movie. I bet if a kid had never watched tv before and you put it on in a room adjacent to where they were playing, the kid would sit right down and watch the whole thing, even if there wasn't any popcorn.

_Loser_ posted:

Alright, well you fuckers did it. I went and grabbed a copy of Barry Lyndon and holy poo poo, beautiful. How the hell have I never heard of this movie before this thread?
My only guess is that it gets overlooked because people don't really go in for period drama that isn't Les Miserables (bullshit soaps for mental midgets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

hemophilia posted:

Eyes Wide shut was the last Kubrick movie I watched for the first time. I haven't seen Barry Lyndon or a few others, I'll get around to it, but Eyes Wide Shut legitimately scared the gently caress out of me. The sex and relationship stuff took a huge backseat for me as Kubrick managed to make the Illuminati stand-in the scarriest poo poo i've ever seen put to film.

People talk about the Shining like it's spooky, especially people old enough to have seen it during the theatrical run, but that poo poo is just standard spooky to me. Eyes Wide Shut gave me a full blown mental crisis.
I don't really get that. The weird Illuminati stuff was vague enough that it wasn't really that menacing. I mean, the chances are equally good that it's just as it appears - a wealthy group of socialites who want guilt-free sex and make a kinky masquerade about it. Stuff like that is probably as old a civilization. Of course they'd try and suss out any interlopers, but that's just 'cuz scrutiny and scandal might hurt their vanilla lives.

It really didn't make me think "oh wow, evil Satanic cabal that controls global affairs" so much as "horny dentists with a flair for the dramatic."

Then again, I didn't really like the movie. There were some good scenes. Nicole Kidman's confession was well done and surprisingly heartbreaking.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Rewatched Barry Lyndon. That dude needs to chill the gently caress out and realise when he's got it good cause he is the common denominator in causing his problems.

Like 4real dude you have a hot super rich wife and live in a manor. What loving more do you want
It's a tragedy. "Chilling the gently caress out" is taking the ammo out of Chekov's gun.

• Locked thread