Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Stanley Kubrick film?
Fear and Desire
Killer's Kiss
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Spartacus
Lolita
Dr. Strangelove; or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Apollo 11 Moon Landing Footage
2001: A Space Odyssey
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
Eyes Wide Shut
View Results

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dave Concepcion posted:

I love Barry Lyndon to a degree that is probably not healthy

edit: if your local art cinema puts it up, drop everything you have and go see it on the big screen, the cinematography is probably the best in history

I went to a midnight showing of The Shining at the SIFF Egyptian theater in Seattle a while back, it was incredible. Giant screen, fantastic sound system, it was an experience.

While Clockwork Orange was my gateway drug and I adore 2001 and Full Metal Jacket, The Shining is my favorite of his works, and one of my favorite films, if not my favorite film period. The cinematography, direction, sound design and production are remarkable. I hate jump cut, loud noise, cheap scare horror - The Shining, to me, is perfectly executed psychological horror. It still creeps me out to this day, especially seeing it in the theater again.

I need to see Eyes Wide Shut again, I remember liking it when it came out, but I don't remember a whole lot of it.

Oh wow the Archives tour is currently in San Fransisco, that's seriously tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

OMFG FURRY posted:

the shining owned

https://vimeo.com/143734339

it was a haunted house on film

Seriously I cannot praise it enough, The Shinning owns and it's ruined me for other "horror" movies that aren't blatant camp

Also I got a copy of Barry Lyndon gonna watch that this weekend I think

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
The man was a genius at lighting

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Watched Full Metal Jacket again last night after having not watched it since my early 20s and boy that movie is kind of hard to watch, being older and having a different frame of reference on the world

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Moridin920 posted:

in what ways?

I think it's that I appreciated it more for superficial reasons before, like the cinematography and acting. Watching it now, I found myself focused more on the deeper message of what war and military service does to people, and how horrible everything about Vietnam and war in general is. I guess that's a side effect of my stupid decision to pay more attention to politics/the world since I first watched it, hence me saying it was a different frame of reference, I guess I just pay attention to different things now.

Maybe "hard to watch" was a little dramatic, but I guess what I mean is that seeing it now makes me feel sad in a more "boy humanity can suck sometimes" way, instead "man it sucks they shot those guys" way.

Also I'm Private Pyle, AMA

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

full metal jacket was, i think, a direct reflection of the vietnam era, maybe even an exaggeration, idk. id hesitate to equate it with much these days, especially the dehumanizing paris island and the behavior of the enlisted men in nam and, well, much of anything else

Right, like I've heard that stuff during basic doesn't happen anymore or not to that degree, but it's an interesting historical piece. Curious what the sources for this were, how much is first hand accounts and how much is playing things up for dramatic effect

Vegetable posted:

There are folks who watch the first half of FMJ without any sense of how hosed up and uncomfortable it is and that's just terrifying

Yeah pretty much

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Ein cooler Typ posted:

we don't need the drill sergeant to dehumanize young people and desensitize them to violence anymore because videogames have already done that

I was thinking something similar when they showed the guys near the end creeping through the building, like it made me wonder what effect realistic military fps games have had on the psyche of young people who go into the military now, vs poor kids getting drafted back in the vietnam days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

gleebster posted:

What is your major malfunction, anyway?

SIR I DON'T KNOW SIR

*smiles retardedly*

• Locked thread