Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
Was at Portman Road for the game yesterday and it sent me over the edge on McCarthy. In many ways we are lucky to have a manager with his experience willing to work with a negative budget, but yesterday I saw a man out of ideas, out of motivation and out of enough effort.

It's one thing to have a plan and for the players to execute badly, or for that plan to be a bad one, but it's entirely different to have no plan at all. None of the players new what their jobs were or knew what kind of football to play. We started with with a lone Pitman up front (at home!!) and played long balls but the team wasn't set up for this at all. Despite Sears starting he was no where to be found running underneath and no-one from midfield was getting up to challenge second balls. We were literally just punting it to an island.

Well okay then, maybe we were set up for a passing game? Nope. No-one working to create angles, when the back four had the ball no-one dropped back to provide an outlet. Maybe the fullbacks are supposed to be the plan (hahahahahahaha)? Nope again, static and hopeless. What about without the ball then, were we organized? Well I'll grant that they kept well formed banks of four but that's loving useless when all you do is back off like a dog keeping it's chew toy just out of your reach as they get closer to goal. No-one dropped back to help, the extra man in midfield wasn't put to any use to close down and they didn't seem to know how deep the lines should be.

I don't want to play horrible long ball football but a bad plan is better than the absence of any plan. At least you can learn something. Maybe the style doesn't suit the team, or maybe certain players to don't work in those positions. It can at least show you what not to do. Playing with no plan at all however teaches you nothing. Nothing about the players, nothing about a system and nothing about the future of the team. Playing without a plan is nothing more than wasted minutes on the football pitch and that adequately sums up yesterdays game. A total waste of minutes for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
I agree with that. I'm actually a bit sad that the atmosphere has gone poisonous at Ipswich because the club has a lot to thank him for over the last few years both on and off the pitch. As fans we are often guilty of feeling entitled to more than we deserve and lord knows Ipswich hasn't been deserving of a lot in recent times. The fact that Mick got us a couple years of playoff hopes was miraculous given the tool set available.

In addition to that he has put a lot of personal time and effort in to working with our ghost owner to make the club better run, in terms of sustainability. Whether those efforts were a success is a different discussion (not really) but that's not Micks fault (as an aside; if given a choice between changing Evans or changing Mick, I'd change the ownership 100% of the time).

The fact that it isn't working out here isn't a damning indictment of Mick's abilities, so much as it is simply the natural ending to a once-good relationship where neither party was really "The One". Many Clubs would lucky to have a manager with the integrity and honesty of Mick and he can definitely to a good job in the right environment. A change of scenery would be as good for him as would be for us.

Ideally I'd like him to resign, not because of malice but because I think it would buy him some goodwill. Especially if he is honest about the reasons. I'd much rather see Mick walk out the door with fan's thanking him for the positives, rather than chase him out with pitchforks. Either way though, things on the pitch are dire and the current biggest failing is the coaching. I wish him well but time is up.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
A much, much needed win and without our "left back", who will hopefully now be jettisoned in to the sun. Plus we remembered that scoring is a requirement, not an option to stay up! So that's good.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
If Ipswich announced that McCarthy and the team would be summarily executed on the halfway line; I would watch from the stands, nodding sagely while muttering to myself "it's harsh... But fair".

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

Not sure you'd get a better manager than Big Mick with the resources you've got my Suffolk chum.

Normally I would agree with you if Big Mick was trying and had his heart in it, but unfortunately being in Ipswich longer than a pregnancy term apparently drains all your life force and turns you in to a broken husk of a football manager [see appendix A].

It’s not that I think we should be chasing promotion or be drastically better because this squad is one of… actually come to think of it, it might just be the worst squad in our history. Far worse than that one season George Burley lost his goddamn mind (love you George, please come back I wanted you back instead of Jewell), and as far I know the teams between the Robson and Lyall eras were comparatively competitive. While Mick has made some dodgy personnel decisions in contribution, he can’t really take much blame given the utterly dire situation the club is in.

The problem is that there is a difference between players having instructions and being too poo poo to carry them out; and players not having any instructions at all and also being too poo poo which is the worst of all worlds. I suppose you could argue there is no point giving them instructions if they can’t do it which… fair point, but at least it shows the coaches trying. Mick’s given up.

Appendix A:

Allow your mind to be cast back over an ocean of managerial appointments you probably thought were some kind of fever dream and try to recall what happened to the following sequence of men (all the appointments following Burely’s tenure omitting temps):

Joe Royal - I can only assume taken by aliens, career killed
Jim Magilton - Went mad, went to QPR, sort of assaulted a player or something, ran to Ireland, career killed
Roy Keane - Went mad, ran to Ireland (theme!?!?)
Paul Jewell - Went mad, career killed
Mick McCarthy - Currently going mad

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Does Steven Taylor still know how to play football?

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005

Jose posted:

his contract in the MLS got terminated he was so bad so no

Wonderful. Just wonderful. Let alone we wouldn't even have this problem if we could just get hold of a right back for the first time in about 3 years.

Also is it me or did Taylor's career basically end when Andy Carroll punched him in the face.

This is bonkers.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Ipswich had exactly one shot on target to Villa's nine, that's a little unfortunate for them and must have been frustrating as all hell to watch.

ukle posted:

Next 3 games they probably won't get a point (Barnsley, Newcastle, Derby)...

Yikes. The optimist would say that realistically there is one or maybe two relegation spots left, and eleven or so teams that could fill them. So chances are they will be okay. On the flip side though it's so tight that any team that goes on a bad run and loses confidence at this stage could fill one of those spots super easy.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
While I'm happy with a point at Brighton our only capable goal-scorer picked up a yellow that rules him out of the Norwich game. That game looked unpleasant to begin with but now just looks grim. I might just pretend football didn't exist for the next couple weeks and return to it pretending nothing happened.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
We really should have beaten Leeds yesterday, and probably would have if not for Lawrence being suspended; but I'm not going to complain because that statement marks a huge improvement over a few weeks ago.

Speaking of Lawrence I can't understand why he's still at the club. He's a loaner from Leicester and has almost single-handedly lifted Ipswich out of the relegation fight with equal amounts of effort, ability and goals. Which seems like exactly what Leicester needs. Granted he wouldn't have the same impact in the prem but at least he can put the ball in the net which would be around a 3 million percent improvement, give or take.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Seems like you're right. From what I can find he can only be recalled if everyone agrees to it, everyone being Leicester, Ipswich and Lawrence himself.

This raises an interesting point for McCarthy if Leicester do ask. I can only assume that Lawrence would immediately say yes, but if McCarthy blocks it Leicester may be sufficiently pissed off to not do business with us in the future (provided they stay up). We rely very heavily on the loan system to actually field competitive teams due to financial issues, so it might be hard to close that door. I suppose it will depend on McCarthy's faith in the squad to not get in to trouble the rest of the season.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005

Tunga posted:

You cannot recall half-season loans, and season-long loans can only be recalled in the January window (either by way of a recall clause or with agreement of all parties as you mentioned). The only time you can recall outside of the window is for a goalkeeper if you don't have two fit/eligible goalkeepers.

aaaah thank you for clearing that up for me.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
I like Mowbray and often wonder how things would have gone if he was appointed permanently at Ipswich, instead of the 3 games as a stand-in. Having said that though his philosophy and style isn't too well suited to a relegation dog fight in a scrappy league. If Blackburn survive I think it could pay dividends next season but this year's run in could be reeeeeeaaallly dodgy.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

We're gonna wreck Ipswich today I can feel it in me bones and in the air tonight

By all observable metrics and conventional logic this is correct. Which is probably why it will be dire draw that helps neither of us.

EDIT: this is not a good start. Not good at all we could be two down already.

e2: that was a goddamn penalty you blind twat

Horse Inspector fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Feb 26, 2017

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
We're looking at securing the point now.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
To say we rode out luck would be an understatement. Our goalie got man of the match despite letting in a poor goal at his near post, and the award was deserved. That should tell anyone all they need to know. Despite that I thought we looked light years better than earlier this season and I'm optimistic about the improvement.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Lol how is that given when McGoldrick's wasn't at the weekend. A bit harsh on Newcastle.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
I wonder what the record for consecutive draws is, because Ipswich appear to be determined to get it.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Haha why the gently caress do teams even keep giving McClaren a job at this point, has he made a deal with a witch? What made Derby think *this* time would be different? I would just like to remind people that at one point during his Middlesbrough tenure one fan was so disgusted by him they ran on the pitch, down the sideline and threw their season ticket at his face. What was his next managerial position?

England.

What the gently caress.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
My post was meant to come across a bit more tongue-in-cheek than my poor writing skills probably made it. I just like ripping on him because he's a doofus. As Bizarre career trajectory as he's had I do admire his willingness to try random poo poo out; and to be fair on him that European run was fairly rad. Still think he sucks though.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Actually I change my mind, I think Steve is a football god and Norwich should absolutely hire him.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Ipswich falling slowly towards the zone again...

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

Norwich City have got their man and that man is Huddersfield director of football Stuart Webber. We haven't started looking for a manager yet.

It's Steve. The wait is just to build tension.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
I am the harbinger of doom. I am a sailor in the corner of a hazy, wood-beamed pub. Sitting by the slap-dash, half stained glass window I spill tales of woe, beer and deep sea dangers to any one who will listen. I do this partly to cope, partly to warn others and partly to sound wise. It's all I have left and I would appreciate being humored.

Tonight Ipswich play Wigan at home and if they do not win what follows could be total devastation that would be the end of club in its current form.

Without some kind of outside cash infusion very soon I'm fairly sure Evans will need to cut his growing losses and declare the club bankrupt. This of course means points deductions and other penalties. From the outside it appears the club is clinging grimly and pathetically to the hope we can hold on to survival, before closing our eyes and pulling the trigger. I can't blame Evans for trying to get the best outcome he can but it's a hell of a gamble.

What you have to understand is we will be going down no matter what. It is a case of when, not if. Limping through this season gives us another of Championship football next, and the slightly better prospect for Evans to offload but the club's situation is so toxic it won't happen. Caving now would mean going down in the same instant but at least we'd start at even for the rebuild. If we fail to stay up (and trust me, despite a few short weeks of apparent improvement a bit back, we are more than bad enough) and then have to take the punishments we start next season in League One at minus points and we will go down again. From there the bottom is anyone's guess.

Sometimes when teams go down it can almost be a good thing. Relegation clauses can mean getting out from under bad contracts and can provide an opportunity to "clear the decks". Unfortunately Ipswich already did that. The squad is put together with sofa change, ticket prices are already at the higher end for the league, every expendable staff member culled (even in the bars, I mean everywhere), every possible corner that can be cut has been savagely lopped off. There is no where else to go.

So I extend a plea to benevolent supporters. Pray with me for a win this evening, Wigan are already gone they don't need any pity. If Evans is going with this gamble then so be it I guess we're all-in. We have to stay up to have hope of a future rebirth.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
I'm extatic. That was pretty much best case scenario. Blackburn and Bristol lose and we win. That might just seal it and i couldn't be happier.

Although saying that I probably just doomed it.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005

Ewar Woowar posted:

I am happy for you sad poster :unsmith:

Thank you friend.

I was just looking at insolvency penalties because I'm a really fun kind of guy and for those interested (no one) the relevant section is 12.3.3 here.

If I am reading this correctly, because it is passed the last Thursday in March, an 'insolvency event' prior to seasons end would mean the deduction is applied at the end of the season and consequences decided thereafter.

So if Ipswich went insolvent now the season would carry on as normal and then if we finished more than 12pts ahead of relegation we would eat the deduction and stay up as normal. The difference of doing it after the last Thursday if you are relegated without the deduction, then it would carry to the following season.

So as I understand it if we came out of this season's penultimate game 16pts ahead of relegation, we could fold right then and basically get away with it. Granted it's dirty and I don't think it would happen that way anyway, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
This is why the Wigan game was important what with being away to Fulham today. Luckily Blackburn didn't gain any ground.

Have to say well done to Norwich, look forward to seeing the highlights of that.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Huh that's odd. Well I wouldn't be surprised if Ipswich nabbed him. He'd be free which works for us, and he was here a long time and was a solid part of the team.

No idea if he's better or worse now though.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Status of anus: very clenched.

E: get the gently caress in

Man Newcastle should have gotten a pen there.

Horse Inspector fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 14, 2017

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Aarrrrrrrggghhhh 5mins to not gently caress this upppppp

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
We did it. Hanging on by a hair at the end but I think that - lol I saw that Leeds goal go in

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Looking forward to watching Newcastle give us a not-very-gentle rogering this afternoon.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Well youre playing Murphy upfront who will know exactly how to exploit the back so it might happen.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Honestly we are good for that goal. Also some lady in the Newcastle section keeps wailing in a manner not unlike an ambulance siren. Is she a mascot?

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
I'm fully expecting mitro to come out for 2nd half. Which would be a step up for you guys.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Happiness! I know what is again! Best game I've seen for a couple years.

Ref was completely incompetent though. Comically bad.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005

kcer posted:

Chronicle reckons you can only be docked in the EFL if it puts the club into insolvency

For interest sake as I'm sure people will have theories, I made use of the find function in the rules and you can be deducted points for:

Fielding an ineligible player
Defaulting (not paying on time/at all) on a payment to another club

However I also saw that (emphasis mine):

quote:

The League shall have power to initiate and prosecute disciplinary proceedings against any person subject to these Regulations for breach of these Regulations or other conduct amounting to Misconduct.

I have no idea exactly what misconduct means because by this point I became EXTREMELY BORED and couldn't be arsed to look up their definition. Although it is worth noting that a quick google tells you that:

Watford could face points deduction as EFL launch investigation over alleged false financial documents

That is neither an ineligible player or an insolvency event, but a deduction is on the table so I'm guessing that falls under misconduct. I have no idea if it's likely or not for Newcastle and I wouldn't speculate on that, but it does at least seem possible.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
So are Birmingham trying to be relegated to trying to stay up I can't work out which right now.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
I'm looking forward to relegation dogfight. All 3 are clubs that shouldn't really be in the third tier but one must go. I'm thinking Forest will be that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
Predictions for Sunday's outcomes? I'm going with Newcastle champs, Forest down.

• Locked thread