Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

It's good you people are explaining this now because my main series strategy has been

- upgrade weapons a lot
- get base stats to 50% upgraded
- ?????

Good to know OG is different

My SRW strategy was always DEPLOY ALL MAZINGERS AND GETTERS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Other than for the final stages of the game I just sort by level and grab all the lowest level pilots. It keeps things fresh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Animus?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Take his with a grain of salt because I'm bad, but also this works even in the hands of an idiot like me.

A real cool combo setup is Kyosuke + Sanger and Ratsel + Excellen. Sanger has quicken and that's pretty much all Kyosuke needs out of a partner. Excellen gets to steal Ratsel's ridiculous stats and he gets enough of her evasion to tip him over into dodge master territory. The actual powerful bit is Ratsel has enough skill with his ace bonus that ~20 points will allow him to support himself against everything. Excellen has the stat share move so she can do it too if you get her the same self support skill and you end up with Ratsel and Excellen throwing out double Tornado Blades and Rampage Ghosts every time they attack. The downside to this arrangement is then Sanger is in the back of a twin and that hurts me deep inside.

Kyosuke + Arriere is good because she has the zoom spell and their attacks are incredibly compatible, but also not so good because it means you can't EDN with her and EDN is really freakin' strong. I tend to pair her up with a super that needs accel, like Irm or the Chokijins.

The easiest mondo megapowerful maximum break setup is Viletta + Seolla, Ryusei + Latooni, Kyosuke + Sanger, Ratsel + Excellen because then each team has accelerate (once Ryusei is in SRX) and both Viletta and Kyosuke can Maximum Break a full round of Rampage Ghost + HTB Cannon + RHB + TBS. WIth that all you have to worry about is where Arado and Shine are and you can put them together if you want, but I put Arado with Kai so Kai can Maximum Break 3 combo attacks and Shine just floats around with Resupply units to keep the spam going. I think Arado + Arriere is impossible to place in a position where she can EDN and he can TBS with this setup, but I am really bad at that sort of thing. Basically if you're going for maximum damage a turn you want someone capable of a combo attack with a Maximum Break initiator so you can arrange the most combo attacks from it and you NEVER want both halves of a combo attack in the same twin because doing so limits the number of them you can fire off per turn. The +1 level of relationship for being in a twin together doesn't make up for being able to fire off 1 less attack.

MarsDragon posted:

His ultimate dream was to be ridden by Sanger. This is Fact.

EDIT: Shine's crush on Rai is actually pretty good, because last I checked, OG let subpilots count for relationship bonuses. All you have to do is put Shine next to the SRX for a nice little damage boost.

Subpilots do indeed count, though they only count as being adjacent rather than the +1 level for being in the actual twin. Ryusei gets +20% accuracy and evade in SRX from the double Level 2 friendship from Rai and Aya

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Subpilots count as being adjacent for the main pilot.

If you twin a robot with someone that has a relationship bonus with a subpilot, pretty sure the twin gets the extra level.

In other words:

Ryusei gets a level two Friendship bonus from Rai and Aya just for sitting in the SRX.

If you move Shine next to the SRX (not in a twin), she gets the benefit of her level 3 Love bonus with Rai.

If you twin the Fairlion G and the SRX, Shine gets an extra level of her Love bonus. Ryusei gets nothing.

If you twin Mai and the SRX, she gets all her benefits from level 4 Friendship with Aya and level 3 Friendship with Rai. (levels 3 and 2 normally, plus an extra from being twinned) Ryusei gets a level 3 Friendship from Mai and the same level 2s from Aya and Rai he always gets. Rai and Aya don't get a bonus (or it's irrelevant) because they're subpilots.

That said, I last seriously tested this in OGS. If anyone wants to break out a save and do some testing, be my guest. The whole bit with Shine was all I wanted to say, but it seems I wasn't clear enough and everyone misunderstood me. I hope this is better.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
What should I be saving my PP for? Looks like they got rid of SP regen so there goes my easy answer!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silvergun1000 posted:

What should I be saving my PP for? Looks like they got rid of SP regen so there goes my easy answer!

Generally:

Continuous Action (extra action on enemy kill) which makes several SR points much easier and is overall a good skill.
The Maximum Break skill on whoever you want to use as your boss killer assuming they are not someone who has it already.
Break Morale Limit.
Attack Again if someone has a high skill.
Just pump it into their relevant damage stat for hilarious gains.
Support Attack on anyone who doesn't have it.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

ImpAtom posted:

Generally:

Continuous Action (extra action on enemy kill) which makes several SR points much easier and is overall a good skill.
The Maximum Break skill on whoever you want to use as your boss killer assuming they are not someone who has it already.
Break Morale Limit.

agreed that attack stats are a good and cool PP dump, once you get someone completely absurd like Calvina to ~300 ranged you even get two for the price of one by dumping someone like Sally in her squad and casting union.

however, honorable mention goes to getting a shitload of SP Up on literally everyone in the endgame because having a lot of SP to play with means you can be even more fast and loose on stages like 42 where you have to chew through millions of HP of relatively unthreatening units. why settle for clearing the map in 15 turns when you can manage it in 2? :v:

Luceid fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 9, 2016

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

... Animus?

Not the worst translation of Soul.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Any tips on the master point on chapter 18?

Also what's the deal with pilot/mech abilities. Is it like monster hunter where they don't do anything until you hit a threshold?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

DrManiac posted:

Any tips on the master point on chapter 18?

Also what's the deal with pilot/mech abilities. Is it like monster hunter where they don't do anything until you hit a threshold?

Correct, abilities don't activate until you stack 3 together.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hunter Noventa posted:

Not the worst translation of Soul.
I feel like the translators didn't really get that the spirits were meant to be mecha cliches, and just tried to translate them as sci-fi/fantasyish.

Which is fair considering they probably had barely any context to work with.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Speaking of abilities, does MD have a viable user for the "Beam Damage Up" ability? I think it was the only damage ability from OG2nd that didn't seem useful.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Japanese Gunbuster bluray set finally got cheap enough that I bought it (the cheaper of the two anyway; I still don't understand what's different about the 30k yen one), so I don't have to watch the stupid movie version anymore.

I only watched this anime after finishing Alpha 1, so it makes me wonder, did I come to like the anime so much because it's favored in SRW, or is it favored in SRW for the same reasons that I like it so much?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 9, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

GimmickMan posted:

Speaking of abilities, does MD have a viable user for the "Beam Damage Up" ability? I think it was the only damage ability from OG2nd that didn't seem useful.

Excellen is the most viable I think. Other than that I think the most beam attacks on a unit is the Gespensts in the cannon mode. It's definitely not the most widely applicable damage buff.

ImpAtom posted:

Generally:

Break Morale Limit.

I always grabe Resolve (+5 starting will) as a default too. It's boring, but solid, though slots are at a premium.

Speaking of slots, how long until the deploy slots ramp up? I know I'm early game still but being able to only deploy 9 teams at most when there are 21 full teams available is forcing me to make some tough decisions on who my favourites are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luceid posted:

agreed that attack stats are a good and cool PP dump, once you get someone completely absurd like Calvina to ~300 ranged you even get two for the price of one by dumping someone like Sally in her squad and casting union.

however, honorable mention goes to getting a shitload of SP Up on literally everyone in the endgame because having a lot of SP to play with means you can be even more fast and loose on stages like 42 where you have to chew through millions of HP of relatively unthreatening units. why settle for clearing the map in 15 turns when you can manage it in 2? :v:

Yeah, it is worth mentioning actually:

If you know you're going to either be using someone as a second pilot exclusively or a subpilot (i.e: One of the Akatsuki siblings, Glacias or Rim, Aya and Rai, ect) get them anything that increases SP or reduces your SP cost because that is the bulk of what they're going to be doing and it hilariously boosts their effectiveness.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Anyone figure out how to redeem the DLC theme packed in the English version? I tried HK and Taiwan accounts, but it didnt work... maybe I made them wrong?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Remember when OG had space colonies?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Remember when OG had space colonies?

They technically still do they just somehow remain amazingly unmolested because 99% of the threats are focused specifically on Earth.

Earth goddamn sucks in the OGverse.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Does anyone have a picture or video of the Moon Dwellers PS4 theme? I'd like to see it before going to the effort to making a new PSN account just to redeem it.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone figure out how to redeem the DLC theme packed in the English version? I tried HK and Taiwan accounts, but it didnt work... maybe I made them wrong?

I believe you need to redeem it on a Singapore PSN account.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

They technically still do they just somehow remain amazingly unmolested because 99% of the threats are focused specifically on Earth.

Earth goddamn sucks in the OGverse.

Didn't they get blown up by Nashim?

Earth sucks in most SRWverses. I believe in both Alpha and Z the planet is basically one big McGuffin, connected to the main villains' backstory in a way that makes half the galaxy want to conquer or destroy it.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

Didn't they get blown up by Nashim?

They got shot at, yes, but they're still around. Same way Alpha 3 had UC colonies (didn't even share in SEED's plot armor).

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I was a huge fan of the game boy games, so I was incredibly excited to get this. Bought from Play-Asia and even paid the extra shipping to get it here as quickly as possible. This morning it was to be delivered, when I realized I had a doctor's appointment. Thinking fast, I left a note asking for it to be dropped on my doorstep, normal procedure for an indirect signature package.

Within the one hour window between it getting dropped off and me coming home, the package was ripped open and the game stolen. Life sucks sometimes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Helion posted:

I was a huge fan of the game boy games, so I was incredibly excited to get this. Bought from Play-Asia and even paid the extra shipping to get it here as quickly as possible. This morning it was to be delivered, when I realized I had a doctor's appointment. Thinking fast, I left a note asking for it to be dropped on my doorstep, normal procedure for an indirect signature package.

Within the one hour window between it getting dropped off and me coming home, the package was ripped open and the game stolen. Life sucks sometimes.

That really sucks. :smith:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Policenaut posted:

Does anyone have a picture or video of the Moon Dwellers PS4 theme? I'd like to see it before going to the effort to making a new PSN account just to redeem it.

I believe you need to redeem it on a Singapore PSN account.

I'll try it tonight and take a screenshot if I get it.

Will the theme persist across all users on the system? I would rather stick to my main US one if I can

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Helion posted:

Typically you can contact such sellers and tell them your package was stolen, especially since you have evidence of it. Sometimes they will be understanding and reship another one to you, since that's really the most that can be done.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

did I come to like the anime so much because it's favored in SRW, or is it favored in SRW for the same reasons that I like it so much?

Yes.

Really though, it owns, a lot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Helion posted:

That blows. Sadly with the customs declaration form on the outside it's often really easy to tell what's in there.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, after the lesson earlier this page, it turns out I suck at SRW games.

...I just select Basic Order.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Wow, it certainly is something to finally play an English SRW in HD like this. Can't wait to see SRW V like this!

Anyway, quick question: do upgrades on Compati Kaiser cross over for the different variations? So if I dump cash into getting its Accuracy to 50% in G mode, does regular Kaiser mode reflect that as well?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Wow, it certainly is something to finally play an English SRW in HD like this. Can't wait to see SRW V like this!

Anyway, quick question: do upgrades on Compati Kaiser cross over for the different variations? So if I dump cash into getting its Accuracy to 50% in G mode, does regular Kaiser mode reflect that as well?

Generally anything that combines into a single unit shares upgrades. The big exception to this is the SRX which has its own upgrades.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

I only watched this anime after finishing Alpha 1, so it makes me wonder, did I come to like the anime so much because it's favored in SRW, or is it favored in SRW for the same reasons that I like it so much?

I watched Gunbuster long before playing any SRW titles and I'm feeling it's the latter. It really is just a very good series with a lot of love and charm.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Policenaut posted:

All CompatiKaiser upgrades apply to all modes, even Shouko's little plane.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sakura Wars 1 stream going up!

Edit: Stream done, the Iris nightmare is over

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 11, 2016

KoB
May 1, 2009
Closing in on the endgame, mission 39. Crystal Dragoon spawns in and slowly comes at me. I dont move and skip two turns. He pulls back and summons Lamalice. I skip a turn and they all fuse, Debuduebduebdu appears and pulls everyone out. Mission over.

I literally didnt even move.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

EthanSteele posted:

Speaking of slots, how long until the deploy slots ramp up? I know I'm early game still but being able to only deploy 9 teams at most when there are 21 full teams available is forcing me to make some tough decisions on who my favourites are.

Just gonna echo this annoyance. I'm entering mission 20, have 10 sortie slots for it, and 22 total teams. It's kind of messing with my enjoyment quite a bit, honestly.

I haven't even deployed the SRX at all aside from one forced sortie because with slots at such a premium there is no way I'm devoting 2 teams worth of them to that thing. Anyone who doesn't eagerly await Banpreios putting an end to that stupid poo poo has brain problems.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Hell no, I want to be able to use the AR-series.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

Just gonna echo this annoyance. I'm entering mission 20, have 10 sortie slots for it, and 22 total teams. It's kind of messing with my enjoyment quite a bit, honestly.

I haven't even deployed the SRX at all aside from one forced sortie because with slots at such a premium there is no way I'm devoting 2 teams worth of them to that thing. Anyone who doesn't eagerly await Banpreios putting an end to that stupid poo poo has brain problems.

This is the reason why I never used 70% of the real robots.

On a related note how do you use fortegigas? I haven't found anyone that will pilot it or any mech that transforms into it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

DrManiac posted:

On a related note how do you use fortegigas? I haven't found anyone that will pilot it or any mech that transforms into it.
Only Josh can pilot it, and you can use either Glacies or Rim as the subpilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fortegigas is extremely good and belting out its finisher to Drumfire still owns a loving lot.

• Locked thread