Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Endorph posted:

Trider G7 stuff

This is why I like Trider G7 in SRW. It can be slotted in as a filler super robot entry without having to really work in its "plot." As much as I liked having 70s super robot shows in SRW games, a lot of the time they're "post-plot" and they just kinda elude to "yeah they're famous and did the thing they're famous for" and that's about it. Trider G7 can just exist in the universe without having to shoe-horn in an explanation (unless having a somewhat goofy slice-of-life-ish monster of the week show in the same universe as "hard sci-fi series" and "magic robot series" and "space opera" is too jarring I guess).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm pretty sure they announced DD would be in Singapore and such.

Is there a link for this? I can't find anything about it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hellioning posted:

Is there a link for this? I can't find anything about it.
I've been searching too and now I'm wondering if I imagined that they said this as well would be in a few other countries. T definitely will; they said that immediately.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if Gunbuster will be post series again? I'd like to see those RX units again someday...and training montages!

edit: and I don't immediately recognize the art style of her character portrait. I have some feeling I've seen it before somewhere...

Better get playable Jung :colbert:

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Endorph posted:

Mazinger Z and Getter Robo had plots, in a sense. They were mostly monster of the week stories, but you got some two parters, the status quo changed a bit, characters died or betrayed each other or villains got killed off. Mostly just to keep the monster of the week stuff from getting too stale, but still, if you were bored you could probably edit Mazinger Z into a show that felt like it had an actual forward narrative.

Trider G7 literally doesn't have a plot. Or, well, a plot in the super robot sense. Trider G7's much more a predecessor to stuff like ojamajo doremi than any super robot show, or a successor to mildly high-premise rural town comedies like Akko-chan and Osomatsu-san. It's a show where the focus is on the town where the main character lives, the people in it, building a supporting cast and having them interact with each other and with the main characters. The last episode doesn't even have a single fight in it, and the plot ends when the evil machine empire just goes 'man, why do we keep invading the earth' and goes home. Watta never even meets any of the villains outside of one defector who exists just to explain where the Trider even came from. Heck, the problems of the week usually barely relate to the giant robot or the machine empire.

Imagine a sitcom where all the characters work at a restaurant, and the opening episode is all about how they work at a restaurant, but the fact that they all work at a restaurant is mostly just used as a punchline or as an excuse for all of them to be at the same place from that point on. Trider's like that, but with a giant robot. Adapting Trider G7's 'plot' would involve multiple stages where Ryoma has to tell seven year olds why stealing is wrong, or everyone standing around awkwardly while Watta gets told what a miscarriage is.

I disagree that Trider has no plot, but I will admit it's definitely not standard. I'll try to summarize it a bit: basically the show can be split into two plots, Plot A and Plot B.

Plot A focuses on the enemy side, which are shown directly for only about 20% of the episodes (usually at the beginning and towards the end), and it's the only segment with a contiguous plot: they're focusing on conquering planet Earth and the resources from the nearby planets (the Moon and Mars), and they're actually competent enough to send the Earth in multiple economical, resource and energy crisis throughout the show (in one episode nobody can have a side of veggies on their dishes because they wrecked most of the farms on either the moon or Mars). There is a new commander about every five or six episode, after which they're either executed for their incompetence, or face Trider directly on a Mecha Robot and die in battle. The commander of the invasion, Ondoron, works for Xaclon, the admiral of the invasion, who he himself works for the Emperor of the Machine Empire.
In the final episodes, Xaclon orders Ondoron to lead the battle himself instead of blaming his subordinates. Ondoron fails even with his ultimatum, blaming a super computer called Sigma, who is said to be infallible as it was made by the greatest scientists of the empire. Xaclon decides that Ondoron is as incompetent as his subordinates, and decides to have a showdown with this "Earth Robot" himself. Even Xaclon loses, however, and Ondoron taunts him, saying that Sigma wasn't so infallible, and tries to kill Xaclon; however, Xaclon is of a different make from any other Machine officer (who pretty much look like humans, but they're actually robots), and kills him in retaliation.
In the end, Xaclon retreats all the army from the Earth sphere and reports back to the Machine Emperor, claiming that the Earth is a waste of time, effort and resources, as conquering it would require a long process of reforming the planet and enslaving its inhabitants before they would even begin to recover from the investment, so he suggests abandoning it and moving on to a different system. Xaclon, who is extremely loyal to the Emperor, mutters to himself that he cannot let the Emperor know the truth of this planet, because his own loss would prove that Sigma, the great and infallible mother computer, is not as infallible. Their subjects would lose faith in their Emperor, and it would be the beginning of what would be the end of the Machine Empire. "I cannot let him know of this planet. Never.", these are Xaclon's last words.

Then there's Plot B, which is a slice of life show of Watta as he lives his life between school and his business, the Takeo General Company. The episodes focuses on him for the longest, and each episode is just another day in his life. The typical episode has him go to school and get into some shenanigans with his friends, then the director gets a call for a job (usually from business in space being under the threat of a Mecha Robot) and Watta has to begrudgingly stop playing to get to work (they get paid for those jobs, but between repairs and refueling his company is almost always in the red). As mentioned, in the end the Mecha Robots simply stop coming so the last episode is his graduation from elementary school, interrupted as he gets another job (which is transporting goods, Trider's actual function when not fighting Mecha Robots).

It's worth noting that the Machine Empire never realizes who is Trider's pilot, and they just call it the "Earth Robot" until the end; in fact, I think they're convinced until the very end that Trider has no pilot, but it's just a Mecha Robot more advanced than theirs.
Also, nobody on Earth knows of the Machine Empire. They never communicate at any point, they just send Mecha Robots, and the few times a general is in it they never trash-talk the opponent. Until the end, they were just a mysterious enemy that came from nowhere and then stopped coming.
The good guys don't even know exactly the story of Trider, which is explained in one episode (but it's from the Plot A, the enemy side): long story short, one of the scientists from the Machine Empire wanted to make a better robot, but he couldn't do it working with them, so he runs away faking his death. He's found by Watta's father, they become close friends and at one point he develops Trider, before disappearing once again. Watta's father dies before the series start, so he never can explain the history of Trider to anyone in the company.

At any rate, as you can see, Trider does have a story, but the plot is only focused on the enemy side, which is why Watta himself doesn't have that much plot going on for him.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I won't have time to squeeze it in before T comes out, but you guys have definitely made me want to watch Trider in the future.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Imagine a sitcom where all the characters work at a restaurant, and the opening episode is all about how they work at a restaurant, but the fact that they all work at a restaurant is mostly just used as a punchline or as an excuse for all of them to be at the same place from that point on. Trider's like that, but with a giant robot. Adapting Trider G7's 'plot' would involve multiple stages where Ryoma has to tell seven year olds why stealing is wrong, or everyone standing around awkwardly while Watta gets told what a miscarriage is.

I never knew I wanted a stage where Hayato Jin tells small children why stealing is wrong, but now I am disappointed at the wonders I will never see.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
That's all pretty much what Endorph said, but thanks for the gritty details, MajinZenki.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Arc Impulse posted:

For a lot of these games (mostly gacha ones with no official western release), if you're on Android you can usually get away with downloading the APK through something like QooApp, which doesn't need any mucking about with locales or settings. It just downloads the game and installs it. A lot of the time rooting is typically used for stuff like rerolling starter draws in those games, to delete account data without needing full app uninstalls to do so.

Ah see, I didn't know this because I don't normally go looking around for that kind of thing. I suppose when it comes out we'll have a link for that in the thread here.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I should watch Trider then sometime, that sounds interesting even if the subs out there might not be too great.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Hrmm... now that I think about it, how hard is it to have a JPN switch account on your switch? If T gets DLC, Im assuming well need one?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Looks like you just need to create another nintendo account with the region set to japan.

Log into that with your switch and buy the game through that account and you can use that game with any account on the switch.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you want Southeast Asian English DLC you'll probably need to set up a Singapore account if it's anything like how PSN works. I'll futz with my Switch and see if I can get a Singapore-region account working there this weekend.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if SRW will ever go to having just one kind of save game? for the entire history of the series, every time I have started up the game I've briefly wondered whether to push "load" or "continue". for recent games it automatically puts the cursor over the last type of save you made, but still...

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder if SRW will ever go to having just one kind of save game? for the entire history of the series, every time I have started up the game I've briefly wondered whether to push "load" or "continue". for recent games it automatically puts the cursor over the last type of save you made, but still...

If mid-battle saves overwrote intermission saves, it would be Bad. The moment you make a mistake and quick-save before realizing it, your full skill point run is toast.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

If mid-battle saves overwrote intermission saves, it would be Bad. The moment you make a mistake and quick-save before realizing it, your full skill point run is toast.
So just have a save screen with save slots inside of battle same as at the intermission. And give the option to see the game end skits either place. SRW has become so calcified about stuff like that it's hard to even imagine these simple improvements.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Yeah there should just be a LOAD screen and the very top one could be the latest in-mission save. The exact same way every other video game ever handles auto saves.

KoB
May 1, 2009
hmm I made an account with Region Singapore and it wont let me access the eshop.

e: well I switched it to Hong Kong and it let me in but only gives me a place to enter codes. Could still work if I could buy a code.

e2: vvvv oh lmao

KoB fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 22, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hokuto posted:

If you want Southeast Asian English DLC you'll probably need to set up a Singapore account if it's anything like how PSN works. I'll futz with my Switch and see if I can get a Singapore-region account working there this weekend.

Making an account is easy but as of now the SEA eShop does not exist, so unless they open it in the next 4 months or whenever, you're probably looking at a physical import, which is a nightmare.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Caphi posted:

Making an account is easy but as of now the SEA eShop does not exist, so unless they open it in the next 4 months or whenever, you're probably looking at a physical import, which is a nightmare.

I dunno that giving play-asia a 20% premium over msrp is a "nightmare."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I buy all my SRW games off Hong Kong sellers on eBay for about $5-10 CAD less than what a game costs natively in-store in my country. No customs fees to worry about either.

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Hokuto posted:

An image of Ibis looking at you with her :smuggo: face looms above your head as you stare at your missing skill point.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They could also make the scenario chart meaningful by letting you just click on any of the stages and let you play it again for the skill point, or just to let you experience it again.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ryza posted:

An image of Ibis looking at you with her :smuggo: face looms above your head as you stare at your missing skill point.

:argh:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I buy all my SRW games off Hong Kong sellers on eBay for about $5-10 CAD less than what a game costs natively in-store in my country. No customs fees to worry about either.
Yeah, it's insanely easy and there's tons of pretty reliable sellers. I've bought like three games off some dude named Mario(a bunch of numbers) and they've all come quick and easy and the last time he even included a little greeting card.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Are we going to come up with an SRW T thread title that tops Keith Courage in Alpha Numbers?

I'll start us off.

Super Robot Wars T: See You, Space Pirate

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 22, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hokuto posted:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Super Robot Wars T: Robot Toys In The Attic

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Super Robot Wars T: Tomino's Counterattack.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Hokuto posted:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hokuto posted:

I don't think anyone can top this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'd like to hand off responsibility for this thread to someone else. there's clearly a lot more knowledge than I have about robot anime in this thread than mine and I'm just not the dedicated poster I used to be.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Nearly 250 pages is a good run for a thread. Thank you for maintaining it for so long through so many incarnations, Samurai Sanders!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'd like to hand off responsibility for this thread to someone else. there's clearly a lot more knowledge than I have about robot anime in this thread than mine and I'm just not the dedicated poster I used to be.

I have consistently enjoyed listening to what you have to say, and I hope you stay around even if you don't post as often.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Midjack posted:

I have consistently enjoyed listening to what you have to say, and I hope you stay around even if you don't post as often.

Echoing this, we've hung out a long time and it's always a pleasure.

If anyone wants to try their hand at a new OP they're welcome to, otherwise I'll see about typing one up when I'm home this weekend.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Hokuto posted:

If anyone wants to try their hand at a new OP they're welcome to, otherwise I'll see about typing one up when I'm home this weekend.

Super Robot Wars T: I Feel Old Now

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Samurai Sanders posted:

So just have a save screen with save slots inside of battle same as at the intermission. And give the option to see the game end skits either place. SRW has become so calcified about stuff like that it's hard to even imagine these simple improvements.

G Gen Genesis has all saves being equal so you can have a bunch of mid mission saves as well as your intermission saves. That game's structure is obviously way different but I don't see why SRW wouldn't be able to have infinite mid mission saves, or even one per stage instead of just one total.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Super Robot Wars T: Okay 3-2-1 Let's JAM!

Or maybe Terada Super Robot Wars Terada if you want a deep cut.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Super Robot Wars T: Cowboy BeBop at his Mobile Fighter

Edit: Super Robot Wars T: ˇFusión Final, Aprobada!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Brunom1 posted:

Super Robot Wars T: Cowboy BeBop at his Mobile Fighter

Edit: Super Robot Wars T: ˇFusión Final, Aprobada!

These are both gold

• Locked thread