Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mrfreeze posted:

Hey quick question: is there a guide on how to best buy srw og off psn? I've never messed around with the foreign psn stores but have decided to take the plunge for this.

Go to https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/home/games

Create an account. Use a McDonalds from Singapore for the address. (Google it.) Otherwise it's entirely in English.

Buy a PSN Card for the Singapore region. The easiest way is from Play-Asia if you don't mind supporting them. Otherwise a lot of import retailers sell the cards.

You need $90 SNG to buy it. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/games/super-robot-wars-og-the-moon-dwellers/cid=HP0700-CUSA04713_00-SPRBWA25OGMD2016

Boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crabstick Ryusei provides literally the most accurate description of the Soulsaber.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

I just want to know if Ryusei's attack names ended up getting romanized or literally translated.

Edit:

Huh, I didn't realize the Exbeins had psuedo-Newtype systems so you're not obligated to stick a Psychodriver in 'em. I should have checked that more.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

By the way did anyone notice that at least in MD, Shine has an attack line like one of the old "I'm gonna do it like Ryusei" lines, except she says "I'm gonna do it like Latooni"? Poor Latooni...

She's probably happy to hear it to be honest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm not sure what the issue with play-asia is. I got the last couple games through them just fine.

Basically they are not a problem in terms of service, just kind of have some lovely people doing PR. That's the long and short of it. If you use them you'll get your product without much issue.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit:

I, Kouta, will knock you all down!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 6, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Before they get turned against you by Saint "その喜びは私とともにある" Advent. Hope you enjoy those "eternities"!

I hope Advent turns out to be Euzeth all along.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

An Umasugi Wave original character called Moimoi I guess.

X Omega sure has turned into a dumping ground for all kinds of weird stuff. I heard Godzilla is going to be in it too.

Mecha Godzilla is in, as is Eva-01 Mecha Godzilla piloted by Shinji.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo_Crimson posted:

I just got Moon Dwellers in the mail today and I have some questions.

1. Singaporean PSN thing is just for DLC right? Otherwise I can just pop it in my PS4 and it'll work? I know the PS4 is region unlocked but is there any additional DRM I need to deal with?

2. Is there any DLC worth getting a Singaporean PSN over?

Yes, you can pop it into your console without trouble. There is no DLC at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silvergun1000 posted:

I can't speak for others, but this is going to be my first SRW since OG2, anything worth knowing before I jump is as far as mechanics? I'm especially curious as to how you determine what units are good to pair up and what I should be aiming for as far as upgrades.

General tips:

Accuracy should be the very first thing you upgrade on any unit. You'll want to give accuracy boosts as soon as you hit Hard mode or else you're going to be in for a very bad time. From there you'll want to upgrade Armor (for Supers) and Mobility (for anything dodgy), EN and weapons. Weapons are super-expensive to upgrade so consider only upgrading a boss killer or two until you get later into the game.

When picking what to upgrade consider if it is something you're going to use. The MP Gespensts for example are genuinely not worth upgrading as you CAN find a better unit for those pilots. Anything that is pilot-locked is usually a safe bet to upgrade without worrying about it getting replaced by a new unit.

When pairing up, making sure to keep the following in mind:

A) Both units need to be able to fly for the combined pair to fly.
B) Accelerate ("Quicken" in the English translation) is a very useful ability and you should try to spread it out.
C) Don't pair up units with combo attack. Combo attacks take up both actions and this also can hurt Maximum Breaks. Try to spread them out if you can.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I think the APT-LINK works on Fang Slasher but don't you still need TK for G Sword Diver and maybe Catapult Kick? I'm not entirely clear what no longer needs an actual psychic. I kind of feel like most of it is just to unlock the EX Exbein.

The Exbeins have a psuedo-TK system which allows anyone to use the attacks but not the built-in TK Field.

The ExEx is locked to TK still though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Animus?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silvergun1000 posted:

What should I be saving my PP for? Looks like they got rid of SP regen so there goes my easy answer!

Generally:

Continuous Action (extra action on enemy kill) which makes several SR points much easier and is overall a good skill.
The Maximum Break skill on whoever you want to use as your boss killer assuming they are not someone who has it already.
Break Morale Limit.
Attack Again if someone has a high skill.
Just pump it into their relevant damage stat for hilarious gains.
Support Attack on anyone who doesn't have it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Luceid posted:

agreed that attack stats are a good and cool PP dump, once you get someone completely absurd like Calvina to ~300 ranged you even get two for the price of one by dumping someone like Sally in her squad and casting union.

however, honorable mention goes to getting a shitload of SP Up on literally everyone in the endgame because having a lot of SP to play with means you can be even more fast and loose on stages like 42 where you have to chew through millions of HP of relatively unthreatening units. why settle for clearing the map in 15 turns when you can manage it in 2? :v:

Yeah, it is worth mentioning actually:

If you know you're going to either be using someone as a second pilot exclusively or a subpilot (i.e: One of the Akatsuki siblings, Glacias or Rim, Aya and Rai, ect) get them anything that increases SP or reduces your SP cost because that is the bulk of what they're going to be doing and it hilariously boosts their effectiveness.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

Remember when OG had space colonies?

They technically still do they just somehow remain amazingly unmolested because 99% of the threats are focused specifically on Earth.

Earth goddamn sucks in the OGverse.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Helion posted:

I was a huge fan of the game boy games, so I was incredibly excited to get this. Bought from Play-Asia and even paid the extra shipping to get it here as quickly as possible. This morning it was to be delivered, when I realized I had a doctor's appointment. Thinking fast, I left a note asking for it to be dropped on my doorstep, normal procedure for an indirect signature package.

Within the one hour window between it getting dropped off and me coming home, the package was ripped open and the game stolen. Life sucks sometimes.

That really sucks. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Wow, it certainly is something to finally play an English SRW in HD like this. Can't wait to see SRW V like this!

Anyway, quick question: do upgrades on Compati Kaiser cross over for the different variations? So if I dump cash into getting its Accuracy to 50% in G mode, does regular Kaiser mode reflect that as well?

Generally anything that combines into a single unit shares upgrades. The big exception to this is the SRX which has its own upgrades.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrManiac posted:

This is the reason why I never used 70% of the real robots.

On a related note how do you use fortegigas? I haven't found anyone that will pilot it or any mech that transforms into it.

The Foregigas can only be piloted by Josh. Rim or Glacies can be the subpilot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I could well be missing something, and I've not tried experimenting with it myself yet, but does the SRX have any interactions with the R-Gun Powered or the ART-1? I decided since I picked the "super" route at the start I should just go whole hog with Super Robots everywhere, so devoting yet more deployment slots to feed the SRX isn't too much of an issue for me quite yet.

The SRX has a combo attack with the R-Gun, the strongest combo attack in the game. It has no interactions with the ART-1, only the R-1 does there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I changed my mind again, chapter 27 is the worst SR Point in the world.

If there's a worse one coming, do not tell me.

Huh, you mean the one where the Hagane has to get to the spot in time? I honestly don't recall anything tricky about that one.

Edit: You can also get it by destroying all the enemies IIRC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Nope, the one after that. I took my last screenshot from it.

Oh, the Soulsaber stage?

I actually found that one less annoying than the Huckebein stage because the enemy priority is different so it was easier to get them to target Hagane or Soulsaber and I could move Hagane over to use repair on the one they did keep targeting. It gets a lot shittier once reinforcements show up but at least by then you have twenty people with trust to make them tank it.

No "protect the NPC' stage is good though.

Edit: What the hell is the point of the Coustwell Brachium? I unlocked it and despite apparently being a secret mecha it's way shittier than either of the other J mecha despite being pilot locked even discounting that it begins unupgraded

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 11, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, people say Calvina comes out worse in MD but I honestly don't think so, unless it changes at the very very end. I'm like a stage or two away from the finish and she basically carries the entire early-game plot (whereas Touya is "Granteed can't be captur... oh poo poo they captured Granteed again!") and once she gets over her revenge she becomes hyper-competent and honestly super reasonable. I particularly like how her response to Ju-Mu fighting for his family is "Yeah, a lot of people are fighting for their families, why does that excuse what he did?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

My problem is just that the Granteed is supposed to be the big important powerful doom machine but it's actually really bad. It's very slow and its weapons are unwieldy. If it was actually impressive I'd be a little more inclined to get invested in Touya, like with Ing. Is the upgrade any better about this?

The upgrade is way better, yeah. It's unkillable and hits like a tank, has actual range for post-movement abilities and eventually gets 3 pilots.

However Calvina's robot is still better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

No one liked Calvina for being super reasonable.

"Calvina is super angry, chills out" is her plot in the original too though. Like yeah she's super angry and revenge focused but she gets over it enough to get focused.

She also doesn't like... get less angry? She's still being righteously angry all the way to the end of the game, she just stops screaming and charging at people. Like I said when she encounters Ju-Mu her response is "Yeah, it sucks for you, but you're actually a crazy murderer trying to justify your actions and I'm going to put you down like a dog."

Like when I say "super-reasonable" I mean "she focuses her anger on shitheads" instead of refusing to listen when someone is talking to her. If people preferred the Calvina who snapped at people on a whim that's fine I guess but also seems like a fairly unsustainable character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 13, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lamalice are unfortunately also kind of boring as hell for being such a big part of MD. They're not particularly fun to fight and the last stage in particular is tedious as hell due to their three-tier nature.

In case anyone was wondering, localization company:

Also Calvina? Kind of broken as poo poo:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

How'd the localization hold for the rest of the game, ImpAtom?

By and large it's about what you saw at the start. It averages as dry-but-understandable (with a lot of poor punctuation) but occasionally delves into straight incoherent or obviously mistranslated. (There's a scene where Calvina yells about being trained by Ja-Mu for example though they correctly translate it the rest of the time as her training him.) There's a lot of little nagging annoyances that annoyed the hell out of me but I imagine that for most people it will be good enough.

It's basically in the level of "for something you're importing, it's reasonably coherent, if it was given an official US release I'd REALLY expect another editing run."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

You can tell it's 1 or 2 editing passes from being totally fine. I don't know if it's where I've got used to it but it definitely feels like it was worse at the start. Touya's dream sequence was particularly not so hot.

Nope! Plot declares that only Touya can use it.

Thinking about it, there's not been many characters since the original two OG games that you can actually swap around. Why can't I put Josh in a Grungust? Hugo can't handle a Gespenst? The guys around for the first two games have a pretty big pool of stuff they can all share and swap round. At least the Aile Chevalier is allowed to equip weapons this time.

Oh! And Haken says "Hikari ni nare" for the Boost Hammer, in case anybody else cares!

Josh needs his gimmick system for full piloting potential. Hugo makes no sense though since he canonically piloted a Gespenst.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm really glad the Exexbein isn't pilot locked anymore but I wish the Garmried and Cerberus weren't. It's super-annoying having two units that can't be piloted by anyone else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I'm not using them anyway, I can't even remember the last thing of any note Hugo or Aqua did. Someone probably commented on the DFC suit once. Again. Meanwhile Josh and Laci are supporting the hell out of Calvina's thing, and pretty much all the grunts have passed through one of the many scenes of Touya and Tenia in the mess hall. Maybe I just took the wrong splits but Hugo and Aqua might as well have not been in the game I read.

Nah. Hugo and Aqua are basically Sir And Madam Not Appearing In This Game. They get a small handful of lines and that's about it.

Of the recent characters they easily got the shortest end of the stick. Even Ing does more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Is Gilliam's ace as bad it reads on the wiki? Auto-scan within 10 squares?

Yeah, it's pretty weak and actually annoying because it slows down turn starts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For the record: Dygenguard is black, Haken's ace does count subpilots including Ascen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Jesus I hadn't even thought of that aspect of it. If scan did the evasion down/accuracy up effect that it sometimes does (I think it did it in W?) then that'd be something, but just regular scan? I can see it saving me all of 3 of Eun's SP on the rare occasion I want to scan something.

At least Katina's activates if she's in a red thing which should hopefully cover Red Grungust 2 + 3, Red Gespenst, GIgan, Red Exbein and Yuuki's Randgrith or whatever its called.

Dygenguard is black though? Geez. Thanks for the help!

Katina's ace bonus does count Grungust 3 which is yet another reason it is the ideal robot for her.

And yeah, Dygenguard is black which makes parking it next to Ratsel super-ideal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

I started pairing Ratsel with the Type 0, so I hope that counts as black.

It does but I don't think his sub-unit counts? At least it didn't seem to to me.

I paired Katina with Compikaiser and Brigandy with Gespenst Haken with various optional weapons for a good chunk of the game before I shoved Al Van in there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Contrast the Brigandi, which while incredibly overpowered is also sorta lackluster looking.

... What?

Brigandi has some of my favorite animations in the game and I can't really imagine why it would be lackluster unless you're just comparing melee attack animations to ranged attack animations.

Like most of what you said doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Calvina has pretty much the entire first half of the game (and is only prevented from having the entire first half of the game by the Touya path split where he doesn't even get his robot until just before they join together.) It swaps over to being more about Touya in the second half for certain but that is in comparison to Touya's first half being entirely sidelined or getting kidnapped multiple times. Even then Calvina has a lot more antagonism with Ja-Mu than Touya does (up to and including him having an exclusive Ace bonus just for her).

Basically the only thing I can think them significantly changing is Al Van being most instantly not a bad guy and that's kinda necessary considering how poorly it was handled in J.

Edit: MD's plot is fairly thin overall but if I had to say someone got screwed by it it would be the GC guys who just kind of meander around despite it being their debut game. The GC plot wasn't exactly big in the first place but they turned out any chance to really flesh it out and hilariously murder all the Gardisword so they don't even get the big reconciliation scene like the J guys do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShiunTouya posted:

You need to think out of the box. Axel has drive as his twin spirit command, that turns on Touya's post movement attack along with Orgone barrier and Axel's Attacker. If you aren't using accelerate every turn then I'm not sure how you're getting those SR points. You also need to slot an accuracy modifier item in Touya's slots because that 0 and -5 aren't going to do him any favors when enemies are as dodgy as they are.

Edit: There's also the Ability slots. People seem to forget about them often and they can make or break twins. The Full Block, Range and Movement abilities are pretty easy to get and game changing for any twins.

Even with all those things Granteed lags behind other units. Having to blow Drive just to make him competent looks a lot worse when he's hanging out with a lot of other units that are just plain better. Dracodeus is amazing of course but the regular Granteed is probably the single worst of the new units in the game and honestly probably one of the worst units available to you outside of like the lovely jet or MP Hucke. (Which is partially due to MD having an amazing unit lineup but still.)

Rascyc posted:

In both of those Calvina screenshots I'm more happy to see Shu well represented :)

Shu would basically be the most broken if Calvina wasn't there. Post-move insane-range MAP attack, incredibly high damage, effectively unkillable AND Neo Granzon who does all those things but better?

I didn't even go out of my way to use Shu, he just happened.

Especially in the late game you can effectively end stages by sending Calvina one direction and Shu the other and just having people follow in to clean up after they're done.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 14, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShiunTouya posted:

You are supposed to use Drive at the beginning of the stage to get any mileage out of it. It's also there for a reason, which is to use it during the early game to turn on Attacker when there's not enough enemies and you don't have better things to use Axel SP's on.

Drive is absolutely a "at the start of a stage" spell but also of limited use because of that. It's also Axel's twin spell which means it is draining SP from both him and Touya and with the dodge boost enemies get once you hit hard mode having SP available for Focus/Strike makes things a lot less tedious. Accuracy upgrades can help the latter but it also goes back to the problem of "Almost anyone else in the game will benefit more from this than Granteed."

Like I said, once he gets Dracodeus almost every problem he has is solved and he becomes a fantastic unit because he doesn't need a bunch of babysitting and investment to hit 'competent.'

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Geant Chevalier what did they do to you :qq: ZERO post-movement attacks until 120 morale

Geant Chevalier gets helped a lot once you ace Josh because he gets a low-cost version of the "break barriers + move faster + attack after move" spell, which makes him actually an incredibly good Armor Breaker.

But until then Fortegigas is the way to go. Cheavlier is basically a goddamn waste of time until that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShiunTouya posted:

I've never had issues with using drive because there's Alfimi for any of the few times Axel actually misses or needs sure hit.

So at this point, I just want to be clear, you're going "Touya is good as long as you pair him with Axel and Axel is good as long as you Alfimi to cover his lack of accuracy!" So you're now three people in the hole in order to make Granteed a unit which even you admit isn't one of your top aces.

It's basically the same problem as the Chevalier actually. You CAN invest a bunch of stuff in getting it going or just use something else that requires less to get going and which probably is overall better to boot. The only reason I'd put Geant Chevalier above Granteed is because it is one of your few early-game sources of Armor Breaker which makes killing certain bosses before they run a lot more viable.

Caphi posted:

And then a bunch of Lamalice stages lock in the Chevalier and Neige. :shrug:

At least you have the ability to revert back to the Aile Chevalier which, while not optimal, is more usable if you're not looking to kill a boss. (Pretty much every Lamilice stage)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

While we're talking about formations and Re-Tech, who's y'all's preferred Forte Gigas subpilot? I'm still deciding, my Laci is way behind on kills but I can still work on that.

Rim is pretty much objectively better but I dislike forcing her into the subpilot role instead of deploying her on her own.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShiunTouya posted:

You COULD do the same with Chevalier, but then you'd need to make a bunch of concessions to make that twin decent due to the bad matchup of ranges between Soulgain and Geant and the fact Geant Chevalier can only fly (And gets a ridiculous unusable FUB too). Attacker is also a way to killing bosses and simply using that along with Sure hit when you need it (not often) is not an issue. You're simply using Alfimi for her intended purpose. Granteed being usable is a byproduct of being decent matchup to Axel, but you could replace Granteed with anyone you want.

Attacker is infinitely inferior to Maximum Break though. Like the only thing you could really be doing (which admittedly is what I did) is make Axel part of the Maximum Break but if you do that there are a BUNCH of better partners for him than Touya.

Most of what you're saying is "Axel is a really good unit" which is true. It has nothing to do with Touya and you can pair Axel with, say, Touma and get a better result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say that MD's secret list is honestly kinda crap. Aside from the weapon and the bonus parts none of them are remotely worth the trouble.

Coustwell would be fine if you got it earlier in the game but coming AFTER the upgrades means that at best you'll stuck Touya in there for all of like 3 stages since he's either plot-locked or the Dracodeus has other advantages and unless you go out of your way to gimp Calvina for the first 2/3rds of the game she'll have no use for a melee-oriented mecha that is in every way inferior to her main one.

• Locked thread