Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

I can see it now: the newest version of Royal Heart Breaker literally becomes a music video. Possibly with the rest of the New Aggressors as the backup dancers. Yes, even Kai.

Kai becomes Ray. Lamia becomes Viffidas

ActionZero posted:

I'm sure someone told me that at the end of OG2nd Shine makes Latooni start moonlighting as an idol singer in Riksent. Is that true or was it just a fever dream?

Meanwhile I've barely started Moon Dwellers and I keep being confused by some of the design decisions. Why does Hugo get Hit and Away but Aqua doesn't? Why does the Gespenst Type N have a chain attack but the Type G doesn't?

A lot of weird design decisions are usually for character reasons but it doesn't make them any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tribladeofchaos posted:

It breaks my heart to hear that Granteed sucks in MD, he was literally invincible in J. Same with hearing about the weak secret list, now I remember why I don't like OG games nearly as much as the mainstream SRW.

The OG games can have really amazing secrets. OG2 had a whole bunch of stuff for example.

MD just suffers from being obviously a more budget game. It has an incredibly small number of new units and was clearly more of a stopgap game.

Granteed Dracodeus is effectively invincible though. Even the last boss wasn't able to penetrate his barrier.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 15, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Probably should have asked this days ago but which powerpuff are y'all preferring for the relevant mechs

Katia is basically objectively the best for Calvina. They synchronize amazingly.

In terms of Touya basically: Tenia is better as an offensive choice, Melua is better for giving you Bless and Luck and support spells. I preferred the latter but YMMV.

Rascyc posted:

NOOO not the skill module system!! I hate this system!

Are those translations accurate, you need to equip 3 of a kind just to get the effect?

Yes, but basically you can toss three on and not worry about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Double

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I will bench Masaki forever.

It's okay, it's better for Masaki to be benched anyway. "hey guys, Shu rejiggered the Cybuster to run off evil energy, I can't imagine ANY way this can backfire!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

What was the 3rd robot in J besides Granteed and Belezute? That was my favorite one... :(

Coustwell. It is in MD but as a secret unit.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Yeah okay the Dracodeus is borked. Who gives a machine a free reductive barrier?

Maybe it gets nerfed in OGs3 or 4 or whatever.

I assume you'll get the original mecha back + maybe the Coustwell and they'll justify reupgrading partway through.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technically there's no reason they shouldn't just be able to shove a Powerpuff into the Coustwell AFAIK. Calvina's entire thing is that she is a completely normal person who can pilot the robot only because a Powerpuff is in it and Granteed is the only one locked to a specific pilot. (Plotwise.)

Well, Al-Van's Raftclans is locked to him because it is tuned to him, not because nobody else can pilot it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I was gonna say maybe its because the Bellzelute was built with the human/powerpuff combo in mind as part of The Project and the Coustwell is pure Fury tech, but you can put Calvina in the Coustwell if you want right? Which completely sinks that reason for why it shouldn't be allowed beyond "it's from J only people from J can pilot it"

Yeah, if Calvina can pilot it there's absolutely no reason nobody else can, not even the usual "well, it's designed for a specific person."

Maybe they'll open it up next game the way they did the Exex

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

When they say the Haken was meant for a pilot no longer in this world, who are they referencing? Kyosuke's alternate self or something?

At the time they didn't realize W-00 was still around. They assumed that he was lost in the transportation because nobody knew he ended up as Haken in the Endless Frontier

The original Gespenst Haken data was what was used to make the Phantom in Endless Frontier too. It was (as you'd guess by the name) designed to be his personal mech.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 16, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In addition it's worth remembering that Shadow Mirror's stated goal is eternal endless war and all of the stuff designed for Haken is specifically designed to be for his protection. The Phantom and Aschen both are there to be his bodyguards and the Haken is custom-programmed to effectively be piloted by pressing a few buttons which is why completely untrained Haken can hop right in and kick things in the face with some Aschen help.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

This game definitely feels like a followup to OG2, in that alien assholes in endgame-tier units will regularly crash early and mid stages, make a mess, and then peace out at 30k.

The major difference here being that you have Maximum Break; :getin:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ShiunTouya posted:

Maximum Break also removes damage penalties, so it's always going to do more damage than support attacks/attacks from a sub unit.

Yeah, Maximum Break will always do more damage than a twinned/supported combo attack in every situation even ignoring the initial bonus damage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Maximum Breaks are insanely powerful and are pretty much Continuous Action level of turn efficiency but for bosses instead of grunt clearing.

Hell yes, thank you for this lesson!

I think it doesn't let you transform. I had this happen the other day. I did Dragon stuff, recombined and thought I was really clever and then couldn't transform and was too far away for Tiger to do anything.

I've been doing Beginner Mode because I wanted to see their attempt at that sort of thing and scenario 39 is apparently only half of the regular version of the stage. Attack Crystal Dragoon twice for the SR point, ghosties show up, kill 3 of them they leave. The end. I'm guessing from akurasu having requirements about getting the battleships to a point that there's meant to be more steps to it than that. Geez though, what a waste of time. I got like 27k money from it and 20k of that was the SR point.

That stage is a waste even in the regular level if it's the one I'm thinking of.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I don't think the attacks automatically hit. Though I think they might pass barriers.

Yes, Maximum Break attacks can miss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I missed something regarding Josh. I guess I'll start spoiling since I'm like 12 stages in now:

Why's he resistant to Run/Glacis coming along for the ride and what does Kai not know about the ruinea ruins that Gilliam/Viletta know? That it was sabotaged or something?

Glacias is dying of plot cancer and has only a short while to live. Rim got badly injured (sort of) in the end of the D plot and the Chris part of her personality died. I don't really remember the second thing you mentioned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

Gilliam always stays silent on important matters and it is getting old. He could have helped make sense of issues like crossgates and XN-Geist XN-L but chose not to. Now he allows his friend to unknowingly order three people to commit suicide by piloting. It is pretty lovely of Viletta too, but she isn't hiding more stuff from everyone all the time forever.

This would have been a good excuse to let the D originals pilot something else for one game (in a game with a ton of decent units that don't have locked pilots, no less) until the Very Moral Robot Science Staff made a safe alternative to the Sympathia.

The only reason the D guys are piloting at all is because they specifically need the system IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

I dont think its ever mentioned. MD doesnt even have the "goes nuts" part. Jua-Mu just went regular crazy.

MD just says they have a limited supply of the stuff to run the thing, yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GimmickMan posted:

They need the Sympathia in MD? What for?

It's one of the things that can deal with the Lamilice problem IIRC.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

What kind of hero sits back and lets someone else do all the work?

Shine Hausen. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So.

Final boss then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAg1r6zw7Bg

I'm just gonna have to weep in the corner for this one I think.

What's giving you trouble?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GilliamYaeger posted:

So what do you think they'll cover in OG3rd? Alpha 3's a given, but I'd at least like to see the DS trilogy get adapted as well, if only because L's storyline would serve as a perfect finisher for the Shadow-Mirror/Einst/Beowulf subplot.

I'm assuming we're going to get W (with Valzacard filling the Ideon role in Alpha 3) and probably K or L or Neo. I assume we'll get some sort of surprise like, I donno, Scramble Commander 2.

BlitzBlast posted:

As I understand it, MD is 3rd OGs. They just ditched the numerical naming scheme since this game was supposed to pick up new players.

Nah. It's as much 3rd OGs as Gaiden was 2nd. It's absolutely more a 'sidestory' game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Doing damage, even with MB, is going painfully slow. Plus, I tend to prefer reals and tend to spec for evasion, so my supers are pretty hilariously weak, ditto their pilots. So when the boss is accurate enough to just plow through any evasion, it's hard going. The last few bosses I've gotten by with gratuitous overuse of the 50% all heal spirit, but the people with those tend to be my front line too so they're getting sealed.

I might need to fail this a few times to afford powering up my supers.

A few things you should do:

Give Leona or Rai your Armor Breaker (preferably Leona) and have her use Smite and then attack with it. That will massively debuff the enemy's armor.
If you have Excellen or Aschen deployed use their Dishearten spirit to reduce his morale which has a tremendous impact on his combat abilities.
When he does his "power up" thing and uses Iron Wall on himself stop attacking. Just let the round end. You're going to eat a LOT more damage from counterattacks after that point but most of those buffs will wear off the next round and the one that doesn't (Flash/Alert/whatever) will go after the first attack you do so save a crappy attack (battleship maybe?) for that.
Remember that some pilots can undo sealing. Kusuha is the optimal deploy for that because she has a super-cheap spell that recovers status effects. So does the Granteed's locked subpilot.

The last is the most important. You'll sacrifice your turn but attacking after he powers up is a HUGE downside.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KoB posted:

I'd say they main problem here, that you didnt have in OG2, is that you have enough supers to basically fill out a team, all the main slots at least. Why use a slow rear end real robot with a little armor when you can just go the whole way and get the invincibility and firepower of a super robot?

Because most of the 'real robots' hit as hard as a super robot but instead of tanking attacks just avoid the damage entirely. I mean Calvina alone is probably one of the singularly most broken units in the game.

The line between Real and Super in MD is rail-thin anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

Ok how on earth am I supposed to get the SR Point in Stage 3 Space.

Two turns to kill four enemies. I have to use one turn to approach and only three get in range.

You need to use Ing and Ryoto. Both of them have a twin spell that applies Accelerate + Assault to the units. Twin them with whoever your best attackers are. (One of whom is probably Calvina.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

And I had not paid attention to Twin Spells at all. Figuring they were too expensive to use early game.

They're very expensive but basically required for several SR points.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I think the "defend these Feddies" missions are actually impossible without Confuse.

They're technically possible (enemies don't have a 100% hit rate) but the sheer amount of savescumming involved would make you want to jab a knife in your eye.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OG's dividing line between Supers and Reals seems to basically be "is it garishly colored and kind of tanky? It's a Super! Is it more plain and probably used by a military pilot? It's a Real!"

Even then you've got the Soulsaber which is explicitly the prototype for a mass-production super robot. Which to be honest I kind of want to see in the new OG game. A mass-production single-pilot Soulsaber that doesn't have the backpack would be a neat unit to get.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MarsDragon posted:

What about all the super robots in use by the military, such as the Giganscudo, Grungust, and SRX?

The Giganscudo was explicitly the first attempt a 'military' Super Robot and the SRX likewise explicitly is three real-types who combine to form a wonky super type.

It's not a perfect lineup but it basically amounts to "dodge vs tanky" with some minor tone things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Man, when you guys were arguing about Granteed I was only on like stage 5 and now that I'm around 20 I'm like holy poo poo why does this thing have no post-movement attacks until his Will gets high enough?! It makes me want to bench or make him the twin then stick someone with actual utility in there.

I did the latter basically. You'll want to use Granteed enough to keep him on-par because he's a near-constant deploy and Granteed Dracodeus is absurdly good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr Pepper posted:

So it's not just me, right. Moon Dwellers is a starting out a bit harder then past games.

I mean, blowing up 14 units with you having 50% hit rates pre-focus, some of whom evade or defend, then you have to be in the ship by turn 5.

Don't remember anything like that in OG2nd.,

That is, to be fair, probably the hardest stage in the game BY FAR if you're going for SR points. Nothing is remotely as bad as that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yo, thanks for these. Dragging along my super low level Kushua as a Spirit monkey, throwing Dishearten around a lot, and ending the turn right after he buffs himself got me through it with no trouble whatsoever. Probably would've been even better if I had remembered to drag an armor breaker. Whoops.

What's so special about Leona/Rai for that weapon though?

Basically the spell Smite breaks through special defenses, including the pilot/unit skill that prevents status effect weapons from using.

Only a few people have Smite and most of them are either unit locked, effectively unit locked, or can't equip Armor Breaker. Leona is one of the few pilots who learns it naturally and doesn't have a better thing to do.

You can also just give it to anyone and pair them with Fiona but that's kind of an excessive amount of SP for that. A few units also have built-in Armor Breaker on skills (the SRX's finisher for example) but it's a lower level than the Armor Breaker weapon (level 2 instead of level 3.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

I was thinking about switching suits around but I really don't know much about who should go where. So far all I've done is throw Josh into the Fortegigas and I can't remember who off the top of my head but someone went into the Garmraid Blaze. Anyone have any standout recommendations?

Generally:

The Gespenst Haken is good for Haken but it's also good for pretty much anyone who focuses on melee attacks, while Haken can hop into one of the spare Shadow Mirror mecha so it's actually worthwhile to swap him out. Kai is probably the mechanically optimal choice but there are very few bad choices.

The Grungust Type-3 is incredibly powerful and a fantastic choice for slotting in some of the MP Gespenst pilots you get. Russel or Radha make fantastic back-seaters while the front seat is a great choice for Katina or one of your lesser Psychics. I recommend Russell and Katina. Katina has a great skillset for it and her ace bonus powers up red mecha and Russell's super-cheap Iron Wall compensates for her weaknesses and makes the Grungust Type-3 basically unkillable.

The Vysaga is a very solid machine and generally worth giving to either Lamia or Haken. It can also go to Axel but frankly the Soulgain is so goddamn good you shouldn't be swapping Axel out.

The Grungust Type-2 is a solid choice for Tasuku. An important thing to note about the Giganscudo is that it has no psychic requirements and thus is a very good unit for a non-psychic pilot. (Again, Katina or Kai top the list here.) Moving Tasuku into a Grungust Type-2 or Type-3 lets him benefit from his Psychic powers while freeing up his unit for someone who needs a better one.

Most pilots are best in the unit they begin with but anyone who begins in a Gespenst probably can benefit from moving to something else.

Edit:
Latooni should be piloting the Fairlion as soon as you get it unless you plan to not deploy Shine. Even then the Fairlion is an incredibly good unit for her due to being almost unhittable.

Anyone with a combo attack should never be moved out of their default unit. The one big exception to this is probably Mai as the ART-1/R-1 combo attack isn't worth keeping Mai out of a better unit than the ART-1.

Anyone with a pilot-locked unit (Gilliam's RV or the Ryukooh for example) probably should remain in that unit or else you're benching a good unit for no reason. Almost every pilot-locked unit is the optimal choice for that character.

If you are not going to use Ing Wish then give his Exexbein to the best psychic you have who doesn't have a good unit. This is probably Leona or Mai. Exexbein is incredibly strong.

Hugo and Aqua can pilot both the Cerberus and Garmried and both are perfectly usable, choose whichever flavor you prefer more.

Fortegigas is a significantly better unit than Aile Chevaier but requires you to put either Rim or Glacias in the subpilot seat so you lose access to at least one of their robots. In the long run this is better for you but it's worth keeping in mind.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 20, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Petridish posted:

So I'm around episode 24 and I still don't have the Armor Breaker weapon. Did I miss it from a previous stage or do I get it sometime later? Also I always have to use Strike in order to hit bosses, otherwise my accuracy is always around ~0-14%, is this normal?

I hate moving Josh from Alie Chevalier to Fortegigas, I know Fortegigas is better, but Alie Chevalier looks so freakin cool

It shows up relatively late in the game but it's automatically given to you so don't worry.

It's fairly common for bosses to have extremely high dodge rates. Your options are to use anything that reduces their mobility (Spider-Net in this case) or to use Strike or Inspire. Alfimi is a must-deploy in a lot of stages because she has cheap inspire AND SP regen.

However an important thing to keep an eye on for several bosses: Bosses benefit from terrain too. If a boss is sitting on something that aids them, try to bait them off it so you're not dealing with a boss with extra-inflated stats.

If you REALLY want to use Cheavlier, remember you can remove the heavy armor frame and use the default suit. It's not as good but until later in the game it's actually better for him than his upgraded mech.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

The Raid twin command does Smite too as well as Accel and making all attacks P so you can use Raid and then fly in with an armour breaker post movement! I remembered this after spending all my SP on Leona for Smite + Strike + Quicken and then Impetus on Ryoto so she could go again after getting into position!

That is true, I didn't think to mention it for basically the same reason as Fiona: It's a lot of SP to spend on that specific thing, but it's totally a viable option.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

So apparently boss AI won't use MAPs if there are enemy units in range.

That might be useful to know if you're having issues with the last few bosses.

Oh, huh. That explains why the last boss never actually used it. I wondered about that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Couple of questions

1) What am I supposed to do again with taking down bosses? I did Stage 21 where you have to fight the three bosses at once and I figured I could get the SR point by using Maximum Break and even only a few hundred above the retreat mark I was still well off by a few thousand. I see Smite exists and apparently bypasses barriers, and there are attacks that break through barriers. Is there anything else I can do to help cut down on the defenses?

2) Do special skills stack/carry over for sub pilots? I'm looking at Compati Kaiser and I just got Continuous Action for Kohta, but I see Shoko is also considered part of that mech so if I get her Hit & Away will it register that skill even with Kohta as main pilot?

3) Did anyone ever redeem that dynamic theme? I'm really curious to see what it is but I don't want to make a Singaporean PSN account just to try.

1)
Check to see if the boss has Robot or Full Block. If not use something that breaks armor. Geant Chevalier and SRX both have an attack that does as well as the Armor Breaker item. If someone has Smite or Raid they can use it to break Full Block and apply the armor break to the enemy anyway.
Use the Twin Spell Militate which assures a critical hit. Critical hits do a LOT of damage.
Surround the enemy to gain a bonus.
Reduce the enemy's morale with Dishearten
Barrier penetrate and barrier ignore are different things. Barrier penetrate reduces but does not ignore. All unite attacks ignore barriers by default which can be very useful.
Speaking of Unite Attacks: Do not pair the Unite Attackers together. That way you can use unite attacks in Maximum Break.
Be careful that the enemy is not standing on a tile that grants improved defenses. If they are move them off it ASAP by baiting them away.
Remember that most enemies have Prevail and so their stats go up as they get low HP.

2) The only skills that matter for sub-pilots are SP related or the PP/EXP boost ones, unless you decombine and recombine them. For someone like Shoko it isn't worth giving them an extra action instead of more SP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

I'm near the end of Mood Dwellers and I love that every stage seems to have Shu's bird asking him if he just wants to use Neo Granzon and kill everything himself.

If not for SR points he could probably do it too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Jesus, I don't think anything's ever made me decide to put a game down for the night quicker than seeing an SR point balanced around 15 turns just did.

That one's way overbalanced. I finished it with tons of turns to spare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

I haven't played MD yet, what makes Calvina so good? The Bel-whatever was pretty bad in J but a lot of that was because the AI targeting priorities made Reals really bad in that game. Does she gave a post move or giant area MAP attack or something?

She has a fantastic robot, a fantastic spellset (with some customization due to the powerpuffs), really high base stats, an ally-friendly insanely powerful MAP attack... basically she has no one singular "this breaks her" thing but instead is overall extremely good at everything.

• Locked thread