Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
I can't speak for others, but this is going to be my first SRW since OG2, anything worth knowing before I jump is as far as mechanics? I'm especially curious as to how you determine what units are good to pair up and what I should be aiming for as far as upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Thanks for all the replies to my mechanics questions, that was good stuff!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

What should I be saving my PP for? Looks like they got rid of SP regen so there goes my easy answer!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Just beat the game last night, I'm really glad people suggested putting tons of PP into SP up. The bosses towards the end (especially in stage 42) were pretty brutal and I was using every last drop of my SP.

Guessing next up is to do a hard run on New Game +, what carries over into that?

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

KoB posted:

EX Hard blocks all upgrades of any kind, but I assume you just mean SR Point hard mode.

50% of all earned PP, AP, Money and also full kill counts.

Right you are, and thanks!

Didn't know about EX hard, that sounds brutal. Are there any other changes in that difficulty?

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Speaking of last boss stuff, when I did him, he targeted Rishu with every single attack. Was that because he was the only unit adjacent to him or did Rishu just get really unlucky?

Also worth noting that he survived the fight! I think he had 200 hp when I killed the boss.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

So SRW V got me to check out Cross Ange since I'd never heard of the series. I walked away with some pretty strong mixed feelings, but I guess it's nice that the folks who made Ar Tonelico got to make an anime.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm not familiar with Ar Tonelico, but that is some serious shade you just threw on it.

Tell me if this sounds familiar. It's a series (of RPGs in this case) that has some fantastic art direction music and world building, but also is loaded with some downright creepy poo poo that really does nothing but tarnish the overall package.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

I've been watching Patlabor lately and I'm really surprised it's not better represented in the series. Is it not terribly popular, or is a bunch of cops whose ultimate weapon is a robot-sized revolved not really flashy enough for SRW?

Personally, I'd be all about watching Ota try and fail to suplex an enemy super until Noa comes up behind it and rams a baton in its back.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's the fact that it honestly isn't very easy to work. It's in one SRW and to be honest it's like... kinda clear that they don't have a ton of ideas how to make the unit very good. You can just kinda dance around it by giving it ridiculously inflated stats but that isn't very fun. It's better when you have something like Dai-Guard where it's kind of a lovely unit literally held together by its pilot spirits until it gets a few upgrades.

Yeah that's fair enough, although by that same token, they made Bonta-Kun work. Having both of the Division 2 forwards beating on something while Asuma is on the ground trying not to get smashed would be pretty great!

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

My dream cast is R-Type in a SRW.

Oh man, they could probably make a SRW spinoff just based on shoot em ups. Blowing away a big core with a Raiden fighter or shooting down the Stone-like with the Vic Viper would be amazing.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Did they actually get in trouble or was it just internet mad?

This was in the description of the (SRW "remix") videos that Grashbar linked:

On 19th August 2009, Namco Bandai issued an official apology to Square Enix and Taito. The reason for this was the fact that their game title "Super Robot Taisen K" (also known as "Super Robot Wars K") included two songs which were almost identical to the songs "Battle With Magus" from Chrono Trigger and "The One Who Will Save The Earth" from Lufia II, thus commiting plagiarism. Namco Bandai pledged to resolve the issue behind the curtains and reach a settlement with both companies, while promising to not allow anything like that to happen again.

However, in this apology, Namco Bandai failed to mention that they plagiarised another song. This one is almost identical to "Orc 2" from WarCraft II: Tides of Darkness and is used as a battlefield theme in both "Super Robot Taisen" K and W. It is unknown whether Blizzard Entertainment was ever aware of this, nor if they ever held talks with Namco Bandai over the matter.

No idea what the source for any of that is, but it sounds about right.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

So SRW V got me to check out Nadesico since I'd never seen it before, and I came away from that really wondering if the Hiryu Custom from OG was based on the Nadesico. Obviously the designs are a lot different, but it was a lot of little things like the gravity-based main gun, the Captain's uniforms being similar etc. Also got a real Excellen vibe from Minato.

Good show overall (especially since the last series SRW got me to watch was Cross Ange), though the plot was a real mess. I think it was at its best when it was essentially Patlabor in Space.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Kanos posted:

Alpha 3 has a bit of a scale issue where it's a galactic-level conflict culminating in a giant battle against the living personification of entropy, so that's sort of hard to top. It feels like a natural conclusion so that's probably why they've been putting it off for so long.

Honestly, I'd be ok with them reeling the scale of things back a bit. OG1 is probably my favorite SRW because the conflict in that game is a lot more realistic (well, you know, mecha anime realistic) in scale. I mean sure, the later games do lots of cool stuff and the more fantastic units are great, but I really liked how in OG1 the 'special' units (like Cybuster, Alt/Weissritter, pretty much all the supers) really felt like superweapons.

I mean in OG1, when you combined SRX you basically knew poo poo had gotten real, while in MD, I can't remember if I even really used it.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah that's another reason I liked OG1, it had a much smaller cast than subsequent games so the characters were fleshed out a lot better thanks to the extra screen time. To this day, Excellen is my favorite character in the series mostly because her getting under the skin of enemy pilots in the middle of combat and causing them to lose their poo poo was hilarious. Even in OG2 where she's the co-protagonist, it felt like she didn't get the development she got in OG1, and she's barely present in MDs plot/script.

I'd love to see that sort of focus return to the series, but I'm guessing that Banpresto is more in the "bigger is better" camp.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair it's pretty understandable why Excellen wouldn't be overly present in MD. :smith:

Doh, I'd completely forgotten about that. Yeah, :smith: indeed.

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Not but seriously, I never got around finishing OG1 because it gets pretty sloggish near the end with all the HP Monsters of the Aerogaters.

If I could I would just field Gespensts all the time because I love those guys.

That's what we need, an Aggressors spinoff with Kai as the protagonist. Though I guess at this point the Aggressors have gotten hit with mech inflation as badly as everybody else had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silvergun1000
Sep 17, 2007

Inferno-sama posted:

Not as much, really. Kai and Gilliam are piloting Gespents that have been upgraded to keep them useful. Sanger and Ratsel pilot Double Gs, which were made by Zoldark, who already had some crazy supers back in OG1. So the original Aggressors aren't as inflated as you might think.

I mean like the current roster with Lamia, Latooni and whatnot. However I like your idea even better, the old team gets back together to totally ruin somebody's day!

• Locked thread