Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It doesn't even get its finishers, which is a goddamn travesty.

They better give them to it in the next game I swear to loving god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Caphi posted:

Hey, maybe it'll suck less in OG4 when they put Basilius away for half the game, wherever they put the Gunstriker Frames, the ChoKiJin, spare Grungusts, artificial humans, and the Free Electron Cannon.

Which I assume is just one big ready-to-ship transport container labeled "EMERGENCY KIT: SHIP TO WHEREVER C/O UNITED STRATEGIC COUNCIL ONLY IN CASE OF GLOBAL PERIL."

And one of those "_ days since" flipboards on the side.

I hope in OG4 he gets to pilot a Vorlent until Basileus wakes up from its dragon nap or whatever, let it hang out with the chinese gods.

I also keep hammering on about this but I also want them to give Coustwell its loving finishers in OG4.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Pureauthor posted:

How much longer until the new SRW V info?

20 hours and 44 minutes, give or take a half hour if they do dumb talking heads for a bit.

(There's gonna be a stream)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hokuto posted:

Here's a translation of the preorder bonuses:

Bonus 1: Get a gift scenario that lets you get useful parts and money at the start of the game
Bonus 2: SRWV original theme
Bonus 3: Use SRW 25th anniversary special addition robots Grungust and Huckebein right from the beginning of the game

My general impressions of the trainer:

I liked Athrun's Char Kick? F91 is good. Puru had good animations. And maybe this time we won't have any reason to do a bunch of griping about the female lead being relegated to support pilot. :v:

So wait, this implies that you get the Grungust and the Huckie eventually regardless. I wonder if their early preorder appearance is plotless then?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I wonder if the Huckie and the Grungust will get upgraded to new variants within the game, or if it's going to be pure nostalgia bait and they only get their classic moves with maybe a new finisher as the mid-game upgrade.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hope the Original music in V is good, because the last good original theme is in, like, Z2-1 or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGTEcTVOdjs

:colbert:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If at any point the game starts to grind you down with sheer numbers, take a little bit to figure out how to abuse the Ideon, then never worry about large enemy forces ever again.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MechaX posted:

I managed to completely forget that BX existed until roughly 5 minutes ago.

What was the reception for the 3DS SRW games anyway?

UX was a bit messy and had incredibly obvious signs of animators learning things as they went along with some main character units having kinda lackluster animations and late game twin filler having really good ones (what the gently caress Andrei).

BX kinda evened the whole thing out. Its only major weakness is having kind of a lame OC, which is impressive considering it's a sentient robot, but they manage to misuse it in really boring ways. But BX also has the motherfucking GIANT GORG, and GALIENT, and therefore is the best forever in my heart.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Everyone OYW Story in a nutshell:

"Wow, I am a (Federation/Zeon) Ace Pilot! How convenient that I found a (high tier mobile suit) and happen to be on the vague outside of important events. Oh look, a thematic rival who also has a similar (high tier mobile suit)! We must fight to the death. Fortunately I have my team that contains one older guy (probably blond), one younger guy and a girl (probably redheaded) at my side."

On the other hand you have Zeonic Front where it's like "gently caress you have some Zakus, maybe later you can upgrade to a Dom" if I remember the game correctly. I don't think you ever got anything higher power than maybe a Gouf in the main story.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

Even Zeonic Front had the high-tier mobile suit and thematic rival, it just happens to be your enemy!

God, Amuro was loving terrifying in that game.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I already got BOTH my dream shows in a single game (Galient and Gorg), and they both were really solid in their own right with pretty good animations all things considered, so I'm pretty much set for the foreseeable future as to wanting series in the games.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As I don't have a Vita or PS4, I will be living VICARIOUSLY through youtube videos and streams. God, I can't wait to see an all attacks video of the Mazinger Zero...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Here's a video of one of the possible upgrades to the OG unit. Spoilers, it's loving rad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1-RErw-68g

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

NotALizardman posted:

Here's the other Vangray upgrade, I guess it's called Vangnex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6HlxBDKFAY

Wow that... Is actually painfully generic looking. I'm pretty sure the Vangrey itself had more unique animations than this. I know for sure which of the two upgrades I'd take (if I could have the game, anyways).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm still so mad that they literally had the perfect excuse to give Yuuki and Carla an upgrade with the whole Phoenix and Turtle thing in OG2nd and then didn't do anything with it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hivac posted:

I'd probably say 2 but the 3 gen 1 games are pretty enjoyable as well (Well, maybe not project phantasma). The gen 3 games are sorta hit-or-miss in my experience but 3 was allright and Silent Line is probably ok

I've never played the 4 games and I've heard nothing but bad about 5

The 4 games were pretty cool but they were a really radical departure from the original 3, it focuses a lot more on going FAST.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Policenaut posted:

Armored Core V and Verdict Day have a really good soundtrack though so check that out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNvBmhJe_L4

I really like this one, especially in the context of the fight it plays in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6gOSF5SR-s

For those who are curious, you're basically fighting a reference mecha from the 4 games. Which are way bigger, way faster and way stronger than what you're piloting in 5/5V. It really gives that feeling of being a mook pilot vs the protagonist machine. The song itself is a remix of a song from 4, too.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ethiser posted:

AGE was in the last 3DS game and it seemed fine in it. They just started with the third generation. Also I wish they'd continue making Nintendo handheld games because that's where they had the weirdest series lists.

They also did the things anyone could possibly want out of an AGE representation in SRW (besides maybe start from the first generation), since they have a combo attack between all three main pilots, a combo between Asemu and Heartman and Grandpa Flit even gets to keep his RACISM NUKE to toss at things.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

No way, this is finally the game where Ginguiser makes its debut. Either that or this monkey's paw I bought is broken.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The GIG posted:

https://youtu.be/55HaxBAOivw Localized gameplay of New Gundam Breaker oh wow they're really going with that name huh.

Oh man you can grab parts and equip them on the fly? That's so loving cool.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Good things about Eureka AO:

- The first OP is pretty good.
- The early fight scenes are actually pretty well thought out and cool.
- Uhhhhhh

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hot loving drat Zelguard has officially won me over with this one.

People are saying it doesn't actually get a unit upgrade, just more attacks, but if the more attacks it gets are all like this I don't even mind.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

EthanSteele posted:

It not getting a proper upgrade would be weird, when was the last time that happened? I could see it being true, but I'd be sad cos upgrades are usually cool as hell. Unless this is part 1 of a 2 parter so we only get a little boost like the Brasta oh noooooo

L and technically Z2.1 were the only games where the original mech does not get upgraded to a fully new form. Maybe one of the really old ones? I haven't really played a lot of the pre-Alpha stuff.

No wait, Gunleon didn't get a new form, just more attacks. So it's actually not that uncommon.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

You know, I've realized something watching that video. It certainly has a lot of fancy visual effects but the actual attack choreography is rather bland. Like, compare it to Sirbine in BX. They have the same three attacks, but the BX attacks are CONSIDERABLY flashier despite the much lower graphical quality. Perhaps because of it? Plus that DK is just super rad and the hyper aura sword itself is much cooler. In X it's basically a long flashy buildup to a single 'projectile slash'. It all looks very pretty, but seems rather unstylish. And man let's not even talk about X's aura sword which is just two really basic sword slashes which lack any sort of real impact to them. While the BX version, while it probably relies too much on SPINS (a common trend in BX is that they add a frankly unnecessary amount of spinning to every unit they can get away with) still has that really cool cut in slash finishing things off.

I don't know if I'm explaining too well here, it's just something I've noticed I dislike about the newer 'mainline' SRW games. Due to the whole thing with REALLY FANCY HD GRAPHICS it feels like they spend a long time on making each frame look really fancy and not enough on making the overall animation look cool, certain special units aside (No one can complain about Nu Gundam's treatment in the PS3 generation).

Edit: Maaaaan the Emperor + Kaiser combo attack is really... Underwhelming...

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Mar 29, 2018

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

Well, generally series tend to have their own animators, right? Compare the G-Reco animations to the Cross Ange animations, for instance. That's why you sometimes wind up with B/C-listers who look better than the main mechs of other shows, like that 3DS game where the random GN grunts from the 00 movie have better animations than 90% of the cast.

UX was a really strange and messy game. I think that one was less different teams and more them having made the animations in order of appearance for some reason while also learning how to animate at all. So early joiners get really bad animations while people that join super late (Like the aformentioned GN grunts) get really good animation.

Luckily the mess that was UX led to BX which, despite having a really lame original, has really drat good animations for everything in it. Plus it has both Galient AND Gorg, making it one of the best SRW games by default.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's kind of amusing because 3 was the only game with those parts, 1 and 2 played just fine without em.

Also, the 'meta'? The hell? If you actually built your gunpla for stats in these games you were doing something incredibly wrong.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MonsieurChoc posted:

But why would you deploy Bullet? He's just a spirit battery for Kusuha.

No, the problem there is he keeps taking over Katina and Russel's mech for some reason. It's really annoying.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Getsuya posted:

The dude from upthread making his fangame put Powerpuff Girls in his so sure why not.

Edit: the only limits are your own imagination.

Fake Edit: my SRW would be nothing but JRPGs with giant mechs in them, of which there are a surprising amount.

Are you including only games where the player has access to giant mechs or games where giant mechs exist at all? The number of the latter is way too massive, but I don't think there are THAT many of the former.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The fun thing about Dexter's Lab is he even has a clear upgrade path. Maybe he starts with the dodgeball robot for a couple early stages, upgrades to Robo-Dexo 2000 and then you can either get 3000 or an upgraded 2000 later on, like Layzner in J. And then you get the full Family bot as a TTGL-type end-game upgrade.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Aithon posted:

Final Fantasy IX has a mecha that is also a winged holy spirit that is also a castle. :getin:

You mention FFIX and don't mention the actual literal transforming mecha ship in it? Whose summon animation might as well literally be a SRW attack, up to and including a big earth-view explosion?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p82ZY3wubL4

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, they're a cosmic-horror level threat and those can be defeated by the powers of friendship and love in SRW.

Or just Demonbane, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MarsDragon posted:

and maybe they'll finally give Leona and Tasuku an upgrade.

Sieguarlion is still a drat good, if not particularly exciting mech. The Gigan is really showing its age though.

I'm still salty they didn't give a heroic version of the Turtle + Phoenix mech to one of the other Alpha pairs. It was RIGHT THERE.

• Locked thread