Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ImpAtom posted:

Also Calvina? Kind of broken as poo poo:

So can I put Calvnina in the Granteed like I did in J?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Idea: Getter Armageddon and Eva 2.0 have their conclusions at the same time (instead of Zeruel its Shin Getter?). Come the interrogation scene in 3.0, Shinji's about to mentally tell Rei where he is when KNOCK KNOCK ITS GETTER, and Ryouma's here to bust Shinji out since the last time he saw the kid, he was doing something awesome and his current treatment is bullshit.

Watch Ryouma just flat out tell Shinji "hey man, that's not your Rei, your dad just made clones because he's a jerk. But come with me and we'll do badass things, gently caress these guys."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I managed to completely forget that BX existed until roughly 5 minutes ago.

What was the reception for the 3DS SRW games anyway?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

you can just import an asian english copy off play-asia and be done with it if you're okay with paying for shipping

if not, you have to make a singapore PSN account and then buy a singapore PSN card

Just to add on to this since there are older guides floating around, better just stick with a Singapore PSN exactly (Hong Kong accounts used to work all the same to get the Asian English versions at the start of the year, but apparently the HK PSN only has the Chinese versions now as opposed to the English versions).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I picked up Moon Dwellers and I'm checking out some of the early stages of this route split.

Crystal Dragon Dragoon's speech amuses me for some reason. It's like he tries to use the least amount of words possible in a sentence at all times.

I'll probably still settle on Calvina's route, even though I definitely got more than enough of her antics in J. Can I still put her in Granteed?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Holy hell, being on the receiving end of Orgone Cloud kinda blows. I am only on stage 10 of Moon Dwellers, but those Fury units were on steroids (and parked in forests on one stage with insanely high dodge rates even though I upgraded everyone's accuracy, and felt like Advance Portable all over again).

I was playing through Calvina's route and I'm noticing that a lot of the SR Points so far have been "use the dual action twin spirit, park your beat-mech as far up the map as possible around a bunch of enemies, hope for the best." It felt like some of these points were just flat out impossible until I realized how to use this spirit.

I am glad I got some of my favorites back at least (Lamia will always be shoved into Vysaga because gently caress Angelg, Hugo/Aqua can drill stuff in the Garmraid, Rim needs to get the gently caress back in the group so I can use Forte Gigas, and Leona and Ing are still my best grunt killers). I dunno what to make of some of the other cast this time around, though. SRX team (save for Rai) hasn't been all that useful even though I can foresee needing the HTB Cannon Spam in the future. Viletta keeps dying to everything and is currently my Confuse button. Kyosuke and Excellen are just kinda along for the ride, and I straight up forgot Arado and Seolla existed

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Holy hell, people were not kidding when they compared the Yamato to SRW J Nadescio.

I wonder if the Wunder from EVA 3.33 made it in as well.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I just met up with Might Gaine and to be honest... I am having a way better time playing through V than I did with Moon Dwellers, and I even tend to like the OG stuff more than the licensed games.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Oh my god these Cross Ange girls are terrible people why didn't I do the Might Gaine route

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I am not going to lie, I am really close to kicking Hathaway out of the Xi and putting Seabook in it (or any other newtype if possible). Hathaway's spirits are just... not great, and the thing is moderately upgraded and he still manages to gently caress things up a lot of times.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Oh my God, I just got the point where they finally explained the histories of the dimensions and Okita is just literally "The same wars happened in our world. But some of it is pretty freaking different."

Yeah, the thought of a certain group of individuals running off to cause Second Impact at the end of the One Year War is somewhat humorous to me.

Man, the crossover/fanfic levels haven't been this high since W and I love every second of it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

IIRC yes, it's by turn 5, not 6.

To add to this: Fat-rear end captain in the ship also flees at 10,000 HP, so be on the look out for that too. The stage may seem daunting in 5 turns, but it's doable with a few units using Multi-Action at some point.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I binge-played SRW V for the past 7 hours instead of just going to sleep and I just got to Stage 36.

I... am slightly worried that I might not make the end-game secret route that requires 25 Ace Pilots. I have been getting a lot of Proud Aces for folks, but I kind of don't really want to rotate people in and out at this point. But I can say that Hathaway is getting kicked the gently caress out of the Xi Gundam the moment he reaches 50 kills.

For the main, I picked the Super Robot-type upgrade. Good loving God does this thing hit like a truck.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I can understand that. VangNex really does look more like an upgrade and it also kinda fits the tone better since you're facing a dude obsessed with speed.

VangNex definitely looks like a legitimate upgrade.

But in my head canon, Nine picked GranVang for Chitose because Chitose is secretly a super robot pilot that would do better with strategies consisting of "run up to robot, punch robot really hard" than crazy speed maneuvers.

And it worked out, because gently caress speed, I'm going to kick a giant energy ball at you for causal 20k damage.

Edit: Cross Ange seems like a pretty lovely time, but to be honest... *Stage 40 spoilers and probably a relationship spoiler for the show* Hilda's confession of love for Ange, Ange not turning her down, and Setsuna essentially eavesdropping and telling Tusk to gently caress off or get in a three-way was actually kind of sweet, even though Hilda... was not a good human being early in the game.

MechaX fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 12, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

Time for Gauron to dunk on me in a whole new IP.

Personally, Gauron was awesome and I never really cared that much for Gates. Should have kept Gauron around for a lot longer.

My only exposure to Leonard is from V, and the only thing I remember about him was that even he decided to poo poo on Embryo despite being anime villain partners for 40 stages.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

RangerKarl posted:

Hopefully a little more V than MD? I suppose it'll be the guys who translated the SRW games doing this.

V would definitely be the best case scenario; MD often read like people were having strokes mid sentence

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

If you have to pick one of the PS1 games, go for Master of Arena. The story kinda retreads the first game but better, and the amount of arena fights is probably the best in the series (and it also has a bunch of legit Japanese tournament ACs or something like that). The first and Phantasma are... okay.

I loved AC2 and Another Age because I was a kid that knew no better at the time. But they are alright; Another Age does have a few missions that are like "you didn't equip hover legs for this 99% ocean level? Get hosed and go into debt in repair fees loser." Gameplay is also a bit slower than the PS1 games.

Can't really go wrong with AC3 and Silent Line; gameplay is faster and they introduced some poor man's funnels that never really caught on (especially when you have to trade it for your temporary overboost). Story is okay, and the music is pretty rad.

I am convinced that Nexus, Ninebreaker, and Last Raven were solely designed to instill as much suffering as possible for the series's loyal fans.

AC4 was clearly one of those early 360-gen proof of concept games. For Answer is a lot more enjoyable in comparison. Also has a story route where you can murder 90 million people for the equivalent of $50,000.

If From could have gotten the games to run above 10fps, V and VD actually might have worked.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I have been kind of thinking about going back to Moon Dwellers (only left off at Stage 10 or so), and something about some of the "do enough damage but don't kill these grunts!" just seemed all kinds of wrong to me in an SRW game. The SR Points also seemed hella annoying to get and yeah, the translation team has definitely come a long, long way since then. That, and we are at absolute cast overload here (although, I guess that makes it easier for me to just pick people I like + the J mains).

But it still looks pretty, but those SR Points man...

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

"Do enough damage without killing the enemy" has been a thing in SRW for a long time. It's like 50% of the reason the Mercy spell exists. It's basically born of the Gundam episode where Amuro has to shoot down a nuke though,

I have played a fair amount of SRW over the years, and I honestly cannot remember this being nearly as prevalent as it is in Moon Dwellers, like ever. At least in some of the other titles, "Reduce unit to [x] without killing it" is reserved to boss/boss-ish units where you can kind of just ballpark big attacks and be fine due to massive HP pools. But grunt units? Nah, keep that poo poo to Kira Yamato (which is funny because the last time I remember having to use Mercy was on some SR Point back in Z1 in which Kira's assistance was greatly appreciated).

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 16, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

If Iczer-1 works, they should do something like Guyver next.

I mean, Gigantic is pretty much a mech, it counts.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want R-Type to make it in, because I think the BYDO would make a really good HOLY poo poo-level threat.

Yamato got in, it's possible!

BYDO is pretty much the ELS done right in a sense. Thinking about it, has the BYDO even been completely defeated in the R-Type series?

Every time they try some "OPERATION FINAL ATTACK" kind of plan, the BYDO come back and things manage to get even worse.

If not... put it in SRW so it'll be a first!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

Yes, in (appropriately enough) R-Type Final, although there is some ambiguity from on how the multiple endings relate to one another.

It's also unclear how the strategy games relate to the STGs. They may have separate continuities.

Yeah, I was not sure how Final factored in because I always thought the PSP games were in the same continuity (and good God do things get worse in those games), and.. well, one of the Final endings pulls some time Loop shenanigans.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

RIP Yuuki and Carla's Plot Relevance
2005 - 2005

Who were Latooni's friends with the jets again? I think they had the sense to get out of the plot entirely, maybe other characters can take the hint.

But I do want Lamia in every game though, preferably if I can shove her in the Vysaga. Give her Axel's mech too because gently caress that dude.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Caphi posted:

Wait a loving minute.

What the hell is "Sword of the Big Five" supposed to be? I can't think of anything that'd have come from.

I too refer to 80 meter giant bright purple crystal dragons as "mashed sweetened chestnut fellas."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I want them to do a swerve and put in not only VOTOMs, but Patlabor, and also Front Mission just to gently caress with people (preferably 5, with some added in stuff to account for the series-wide references).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

majestic prince, fafner, and gundam seed, all in the same game

"At last, I can deploy three Athruns in one map."

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

They should have just given us a music theme where Nineball's theme plays on loop in the PS4 menu.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Irisize posted:

I'm really interested to see if they do anything with Cross Ange now that the "play it mostly straight the first time" immunity is gone.

On one hand, I want to see if its units only with Cross Ange (well, just give me Ange and the Vilkiss, everyone else can kick rocks).

On the other hand, I do want to see how badly the villains in this game can dunk on Embyro (especially now that the Anti-Spirals might be involved).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Nephrite posted:

Do not play Impact.

I wonder if there is a soul that exists in this waking world who would do an LP of Impact.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

As a brief aside on the subject of Spirit pools (and since I had no actual human being to rant to on this subject while I was playing SRW V), I wish the game threw me a bone and gave Shinji a few better Spirits. I wanted to just rampage as God EVA Unit-01 all late game since it was nearly fully upgraded (FUB went to Unit-13), but man, Shinji desperately needed that second pilot and Zeal (which made Unit-13 a pretty good killer of the beefier end-game grunts).

I also hope that Mazinger Zero is just as OP, if not more, and that Mazinkaizer is a separate unit so I can put Boss in it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Hokuto posted:

I mean, I kind of get the gripe, given that out of a roster of 23 IPs, 8 of them are Gundams, making up over a third of the roster. But the point you're making still stands.

Besides, practically NOBODY gets an SRW that has all things they like/are neutral on, and nothing that they dislike. Everybody's got a pet peeve in every roster, and that's by design. You can't please everybody all the time, etc.

I was going to bring up W as a counterpoint, but then I remembered Prince of Darkness (which was handled as well as it possibly could have been).

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

Glad they're keeping all that SRWV stuff, I really liked it.

Yeah, I usually have a grievance or two with how SRW games handle stuff like that and also the progression of its characters, but I felt pretty satisfied with how V did it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Never forget

Ibis will always be up there with Aqua in getting the "oh, so that's what they're wearing from the waist down?" reaction from me.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, not really feeling the MCs on this one, but I like the male design and theme music better. This is kind of different because I gravitated towards Chitose immediately in V (and only liked her more the farther I went into V).

Also, looks like Glemy is back. Unless they're just going to revive dead villains/write it so he survived after ZZ, are they going to go through ZZ story?

If the latter, I demand a two-part Moon Moon Chapter.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

It is always the former.

Embyro's best trait is that he is so bad that he'll make the most heinous villain rethink their ways.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I'm going to play the male, even though I usually find the females to be more interesting in comparison.

I mean, there was Calvina... Setsuko... Lamia... Chitose...

For what little I played of Alpha 1, I really liked Yuuki. Too bad my faith in him was rewarded in the worst possible way in the OG games.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I honestly forgot how SRW W handled Natarle, but that was just one of those problems with J in that it tried to play everything so straight even to its detriment.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

You beat Rustal and his faction up by saving Mika and Space Guts with your army of super robots.

And then in the intermission, Rustal is suddenly working with you because you're the winning side.

Iok stays dead.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

I want SRW to adapt Bokurano.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

For me the stages that are the worst are the early game ones where you are dealing with a full enemy load but you only have a couple units, at least one or two you just got so they aren't as useful as they could be, those ones are often annoying to play(the stage in V where you first get Great Mazinger and Black Getter is a prime example of this)

I swear every SRW game that I have played to completion have a bell curve with this poo poo.

The early stages are very meh because you're fighting either no enemies on giant maps with very few ally units, or you're fighting a poo poo ton of enemies on giant maps with very few ally units.

The mid-game is always great because units are going through mid-series upgrades, you're getting more units, and the enemies have HP ratios that aren't complete slogs but they aren't total push overs either.

And then you get to late game where every enemy is Broly.

• Locked thread