Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Con: I can no longer pretend this thing is called the Excessbein.
Pro: I can now call it the Sexbein.

EGSunBro posted:

Having an SRW in English is so cool. The J fan patch and the GBA OG games were my intro to the series and I've really missed being able to read what's happening. I'll pick up a ps4 sometime down the road Im sure. Do we know if the Vita version of V is getting a Signapore release?

Also trip report on impact, I'm at the final stage but I can't get the will power to play it. Especially with SRWZ3 here now, and I really hate the partner system in it so I don't even like it that much it's just way better. Plus it's very pretty.

I'll beat Char someday though. Maybe.

It is not half as bad as pushing through Regisseur's Boss Gauntlet. You're almost there, you can do it! Also it will feel great to have done Impact's version of CCA then immediately proceed to Z3.1 where CCA is done much better and built up for the whole game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My bloke Ryusei is cool and good.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Feeding every kill to specific units for the first chunk of the first run is more masochistic than that one Inspectors stage IMO.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

By the time my PS2 died my 6 year old notebook could run pcsx2 just fine.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't think I've ever seen it romanized anywhere but the name is generally agreed to be "Guardisword".

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

Ten bears, Asakim, and I guess Sacrifi, the only other Angel remotely worth caring any amount about, because it's sure not Doctrine "Midboss" Madocle or Tempty "Not Fought In This Game" Titty.

e: Grumpy Bear is revealed to have been Gunpy Bear all along in a throwaway chapter in which Gunleon is not mentioned.

Is... Is one of the Z3 baddies seriously named Tempty Titty?

...Tomino would be proud.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

When you first meet her she says her name is Titty (Tytty or however you want to spell it) and then later she's Tempty of whatever emotion she's meant to be.

Doctrine is voiced by Old Joseph Joestar and I really want Bullet, Viletta and Shu to fight him because I'm stupid and love voice actor jokes.

You thought Keisar Ephes was going to be the final boss... But it was I, Shu!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Another pairing tip: Characters that are couples get a small damage bonus (8% to 16%) when paired together and people from the same team (SRX team, ATX team, Aggressors, etc.) get a hit/dodge bonus instead (10% to 20%). The bonuses aren't worth pairing a sniper with a melee unit but this is good to keep in mind for pilot switching shenanigans. There is also a spirit command that lets both pilots in the same pair copy each other's better stats for the whole mission, it is amazing.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

Found one.

Basically it says that the unit needs to be adjacent, and the relationship level gets an effective +1 bonus if the units are twinned.

There may be character spoilers (not sure what Masaki and Lune are doing in there).

:allears:

Masaki: Shu Rivalry lv3, Lune Love lv2.
Lune: Masaki Love lv3.
Shu: Masaki Rivalry lv1

I hope these three never change.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Speaking of abilities, does MD have a viable user for the "Beam Damage Up" ability? I think it was the only damage ability from OG2nd that didn't seem useful.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

KoB posted:

Man, these final bosses spamming Iron Wall multiple times is really not fun!

E: doing new game + now, it says it carries over "AP", what's that?

I think it's credits.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It says something about dark prison that AP were introduced there and I thought it was talking about credits the entire time.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

On the other hand, 3d models on a map are super annoying in nocturnal stages and I can't tell half of them apart. I remember missing a few of them that were camouflaged with the terrain in OG2nd too, and that sucked.

Never had that problem with alpha series sprites, those were cool.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Also, "I didn't go out of my way to use Shu, he just happened." is, I'm pretty sure, what Zezenan keeps telling himself at night.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The three secret mechs locked behind early game killcounts are NG+ only IIRC so don't even bother with those.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Tenia is the best offensively, with +200 attack, Accel & Hot Blood. Melua learns Cheer, Bless and Hope, and provides a passive +1 to Movement which is always handy. The best thing about Katia is her +1 Range, because her spirit pool is kind of bleh, but she does get Alert and Focus to let Calvina do other things with her SP if you combo them I guess. I liked Katia a lot in J but I think I'll be benching her this time around. Non-Twinned Hope is bonkers in OG and Tenia is just too good.

But really, just look up their finishers and see which girls get the animations you like best.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

:ssh: OGMD has a secret character

It's a good thing Tenia has the best Granteed finisher and Melua has the best Bellzelute finisher!!

Melua for Granteed and Tenia for Belzellute. :colbert:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Did the flashes of Asakim's sins, fate and DESPAIR!!!!11 during Ray Buster end up being anything meaningful?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The extra 5-10k damage is very useful for retreating bosses but I find it very impractical to set up during all-out fights. I honestly wouldn't spend 400 PP on MB, especially with skill slots limited as they are.

Rascyc posted:

Played a bunch of English MD last night. Lot of fun. I can understand about 80% of what's going on which is an improvement over the 10% using friend's cliffnotes. The parts I struggle to understand are usually when the political plots come up and those filler hard sci-fi segments like warp routes and military doctrine (I'm amazed how many of these there are).

Best discovery so far is that Unison twin ability seems to last all stage as long as you don't split. Was it always like this??? Gonna use Russel for the first time ever.

AP seems overly plentiful. I'm up to like 11 movement blocks in the first 10 stages.

Only SR point I struggled with so far was the kill 14 units and land all your units within five turns.

Unison was buffed in OG2nd to last all stage and it went from a cute trick to Aquarion levels of exploitable. Had I realized it before stage 30 or so, I'd have dumped the PP of applicable pilots on stats.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I've been including people with Cooperative Attack in my Maximum Breaks all along because I did not know it was auto included in the MB. :downs:

Okay so let's see if I got what MBs do right now once and for all:

* 100% hit rate on all four attacks.
* Bonus damage using the F weapons as a combined attack of sorts.
* Support attackers do full damage as if they had cooperative attack.
* Support attackers get their shots in before the target counters.
* Reduces the four unit's morale by 10 afterwards.

Is that everything?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Good to know. While we're at it, am I correct in thinking direct attack ( and combination attacks/MBs) bypass support defend, status immunity and barriers/bunshin but not other bonuses?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

OG now has sad girls in snow.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gilliam always stays silent on important matters and it is getting old. He could have helped make sense of issues like crossgates and XN-Geist XN-L but chose not to. Now he allows his friend to unknowingly order three people to commit suicide by piloting. It is pretty lovely of Viletta too, but she isn't hiding more stuff from everyone all the time forever.

This would have been a good excuse to let the D originals pilot something else for one game (in a game with a ton of decent units that don't have locked pilots, no less) until the Very Moral Robot Science Staff made a safe alternative to the Sympathia.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The only reason the D guys are piloting at all is because they specifically need the system IIRC.

They need the Sympathia in MD? What for?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What are Arado and Seolla's "ace problems"?

Akurasu says these are their ace bonuses:
Arado - If Seolla is on the map, initial will +15.
Seolla - If Arado is on the map, at the start of player phase, will +5.

I guess they're kinda weak but they don't take any real setup unlike some others. Is the translation wrong?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

It's wrong. They have to be in the same twin. Arado starting with 125 Will isn't exciting but its' really strong. 130 if you have resolve!

That's garbage and I'm probably going to ignore the bonus exists then, because Will comes easy but incompatible mechs in a twin are always a pain.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Carla makes up her own attack names and technobabble. She owns.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

EthanSteele posted:

I think she might be my new fave and with unison she can hang out with anybody in anything and be real good at it. Does she technobabble in a unit?

She makes up her own jargon before big attacks, essentially. Usually something about dancing.

It's a shame her ace bonus is "just" +5 will. I wish Yuuki and Carla had Arado and Seolla's ace bonuses and viceversa, they work very well in a twin using Unison.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The entirety of Yuuki's relevance in OG2nd was one scene in La Gias where he schools people about tea, and only because people ask him about it first. I guess it could be worse, he could be OG Wufei.

EthanSteele posted:

"Reverse Lion Sword, Saiha!" and then "Don't ask what the reverse means." I can't believe she has so few good lines in her default robot but puts a lot of others to shame in anything else. And her ace bonus is actually +5 starting will for everyone in the twin! Still not very exciting but even better than just +5 starting will!

I also found out both forms of the Soulsaber count as red for Katina's ace bonus. Melee Katina in any of the red things can hang out with FF and shooty Katina in Yuuki's thing can hang out with GG what a beautiful world. Getting a free +1 movement on everything red just for being with Katina is really good.

I thought about Yuuki and Carla getting the Phoenix and the Turtle, but Carla is the fiery one and Yuuki is the contemplative one so he'd be stuck in Turtle Hell while she does ribbon dances with the snake tail bit when they're combined and that is a worthy sacrifice for Carla to have a good time.

I really miss Ring.

Huh, guess that's another mistake in the wiki. +5 for both pilots is much better, yes. Maybe I should start making corrections... :effort:

It is a shame the bird and turtle gods are going to be absorbed into Shin Ryukooh, Yuuki & Carla need better personal mechs and the Jakubuoh/Bujakuoh would suit them very well. The Razandgrith is alright but the Randgrith is only endgame playable if you give it secret weapons. Both mechs waste their psychodriver talents too. At least let them ride the other Advance mechs or something, let Carla be a magical girl who fires phoenixes.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

So what game had the best Ace Bonuses? I think A Portable was definitely up there.

I think by far the best one in A Portable was Daimos' "Sword Cut always triggers" OP ace bonus, which was amazing at no-selling melee attacks and funnels alike. I can hardly remember any other particularly interesting ones, and I played that game a bunch.

Z3, maybe? Four becomes a proper newtype, Codename Wind casts mass accel on turn 1, Noriko makes miracles happen, etc.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ring will come back and her ace bonus will be 5% bonus damage when piloting the MP Huck Mk II.

Davzz posted:

Huh, I was wondering why I suddenly started getting a bunch of traffic.

So, I'm the creator of SRW DB and if anyone wants, I can answer questions on it - tech support (OK, I might not be able to help that much on this one), gameplay questions, SRW design, pre-planning and technical engine stuff, whatever you can think of really.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm looking forward to it. How was working with the SRC engine?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Very interesting stuff, I like hearing about the thought behind these things. Now I wish I had endless free time so I could subject people to my battle fanfictions.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You only get it for like 5 stages but all money sunk into Cobray's MP Nu goes to the Werkbau, Wildfalken and Wildwurger.

Alpha 2 and 3 are very generous to reals that way.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm also looking forward to replaying OGMD in English with a 2nd hand PS4 in 2020.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not sure a game where most of the grunts have irritating gimmicks is a good entry point. Also a lot of them are set to evade/defend during your turn in many, many missions and that's just unfun.

I'm only in the low 20's but MD is one of the more difficult SRWs so far, not quite A Portable but harder than Hakai-hen. Most of the difficulty is in performing minor acts of wizardry for the SR points and the secrets, but every now and then the grunts put up a real fight and a boss triggers lucky when you didn't have spirits up.

I can't decide if I love them or hate them for that trick. Missing with a 100% hit rate and getting crit'd with a 0% is a dick move but it's kind of hilarious and easily prevented by casting spirits.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 7, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What Terada said was that the Z originals weren't made with OG in mind, which doesn't necessarily mean they won't show up in OG.

Also that same interview had him being deliberately misleading about a bunch of things like when he said SRW Z1 wouldn't have too many secrets or your team wouldn't fight among themselves

EthanSteele posted:

I did the newbie route! You're auto-locked into Touya route. The prologue stage is all cutscene until the first playable bit is Granteed landing next to Touya's house. You skip the stage that is CompatiKaiser vs Soulsaber or whatever its called. After that it's exactly the same as regular mode except the difficulty is locked to Normal and you get more money and 20k money added on for SR points. There might be some cutscene differences in and around the Granteed arrival stage I haven't done the Touya route in normal mode yet. For scenario chart completion Beginner mode and Normal mode have 100% crossover except for that 1 stage on Touya's route you don't do.

Z is a way off so you have nothing to worry about. Alpha 3 is next game, maybe with W (fingers crossed). If current trend of release order continues its W, then Z1, K, NEO, L and then Z2.

Edit: as far as I know lucky isn't trumped by any spirits. Strike certainly doesn't help and that fat fucker will dodge every hit of a Maximum Break if it procs.

I guess I've never had lucky trigger after casting strike and flash, because that hasn't happened to me yet.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Most original storylines and characters are improved when they do get to OG.

Except the R crew, who nobody in the writing team cares about. And maybe the GC cast, given what I've heard about them in this game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Sanger got a fuckton more to do outside of that barebones Alpha 2 plot of his during the entirety of OG. He sort of hangs out in Alpha 2 as well once he is done chasing Kukuru around.

Axel is such a special unique snowflake he even shows up in Endless Frontier. The expanded ATX storyline is whatever but he gets to be a cool standoffish jerk to people who shows up to save the day, which is more than most characters get to do. Also, and this is gameplay rather than story, but the Soulgain has one of the highest base attack power finishers in the game and his skill/spirit sets are insanely good. They really do love Axel and it shows.

Kusuha though... Yeah. But she gets to keep the Ryukooh and the storyline about the Chokijin has been improved with Baral and the Hundred Evils being more fleshed out. It's weird because she gets the short stick on a personal level but the lore around her is better. Also she had a rival in Kanan, I guess.

They tried to give Seolla something more with the introduction of the Argent class in OG2nd but, well, they were mostly just big jerks that got blown up. They clearly cared more about taunting Seolla than Arado or Latooni, and I was hoping Seolla would start a program to look after the remaining school kids afterwards or something. Oh well, still better than just being there I guess.

Mai got more or less rewritten but now she pretends to be a super robot pilot and that's cool with me.

Ibis is one character I'm torn about, because she had to suck for two games and a half before getting her upgrade and Sleigh is a pointlessly huge bitch in OG, but then you do get the Hyperlion and it is the most satisfying upgrade stage in the series since the first combination of the SRX. I will fight anyone who disagrees.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I agree there. Her one scene of making coffee for Sanger was a lot less adorable since Irui was the one looking after her for the most part.

We should have had four Iruis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Ibis was barely able to get her 50th kill before that stage for me. She was really struggling even in the Altairlion.

By the end of the stage she was my top ace and she didn't need any help during it. :unsmith:

• Locked thread