Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I waited 10 years for Ibis' storyline to pay off, I can give Touma a few more considering his plot hasn't really started yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The gameplay of SRW is unique in that they're merely okay but very challenging SRPGs until you factor spirits in. When you do, you have 100% hit rates, 100% evasion rates, do double damage, take 6 turns in a row and a bunch of other fun things that let you steamroll everything assuming you've been upgrading your team properly. I kind of dislike spirits because of that, but also they're the most unique thing about SRW, and being able to say "okay now is when things get serious" then you spend all your SP and dish out hundreds of thousands of damage all at once" feels COOL AS HELL.

I'd say the games being super easy during the 2nd halves is a feature of the super robot spirit shenanigans, rather than a bug. I like the gameplay.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think spirits are to blame so much as the game being designed around upgrades which are entirely optional.

That's a major thing. SRW is designed around having a set of units with the game balanced around those units at their absolute bare minimum power level and then offers you ways to significantly boost their power. The end result is that any given unit can end up far more powerful than expected because they can't design the game in such a way that you can't finish it if you don't level up Boss Borot or whatever. (Barring some of the older games where forced leveling for points was a thing and it sucked.)

It would probably make more sense to remove or tone down upgrades rather than spells but the ability to take your favorite unit and make it a god is also a selling point of SRW. That is why it has things like EX Hard for people who don't want to do that.

I agree with this in the sense that the SRW damage formula cares too much about base weapon damage. I would say upgrades don't really break the game until you have 5 weapon upgrade bars or so, any more upgrade bars than that give progressively larger bonuses, which is when things start to break down. Multipliers like Attacker, Ryoma's ace bonus and Hot Blood are the next most important thing, and when you have both these and weapon upgrades things get silly.

But I would say that cash and PP make one-turning endgame bosses easier, while Spirits make it possible and that's a big difference. There's also a more fundamental design issue in that balancing around spirits is why most bosses are speedbumps with tons of HP that pose little threat. There's just not much you can do when player units have cheatcodes on demand so they just inflate stats, give them multiple turns and a MAPW then call it a day.

More recent games tend to have lower SP pools, start you without a full SP pool, and don't let you learn the really big spells (Hot Blood, Awaken, etc.) until very late in the game. They've also all but deleted most purchasable damage multiplier abilities. Meanwhile they've been more generous with money (I don't think I've been strapped for cash since, like, Reversal) and weapon upgrades are now shared, because those are game breaking but not as much as spirits.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I suppose my problem is with the general SRPG ability manipulation mechanics then. :v: I'm with you that the game mechanics are often at their most coherent without upgrades, particularly weapon upgrades for games like Z where it makes or breaks the TRI system.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Upgrade accuracy, it's like 20k for 5 bars, which is very cheap, and there's many enemies in this game that are super dodgy. I say this as someone who doesn't bother upgrading accuracy in most SRWs even though nearly everyone will recommend doing so.

Give your SP Drinks to Alfimie so she can cast Inspire on people and give them 100% hit rates. The Concentration skill (350 PP, reduces SP costs by 20%) is ideal for anybody with Inspire as well.

e: Latooni has the Fairlion from OG2. It's a great mook sweeper and she does top tier damage with the combination attack. There's many pilots and units better than her though, the cast has expanded considerably in the past 2 games and you've got super robots everywhere now.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 9, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dabudedabide really grew on me in spite of his stupid name and tendency to hang around Lamalice, he's such a hammy goofy dork and the two attacks he unlocks during his last stand are cool. RIP you dorky super robot villain.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Gunstrikers are cool and strong units but their primary function is spamming ALLs and those run on ammo instead of Energy, which is what they regen. Banpresto! :argh:

Deathpenis is an amazing support pilot and Raji/Mizuho have good spirits too. I'm glad the R cast got to be cool again.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

In non-mechanical news, is the Federation and/or United Strategic Council being total dickbags feeling sudden to anyone else? Because MD is all about secrets but also we've gone from being allowed to beat up aliens and terrorists the old-fashioned way to being ordered to gas a colony of noncombatants (and by the way, I'm surprised neither Ratsel nor Rai had anything particular to say about that). I know we kind of shot the President of Earth but jeez. What happened to those two nice old guys from Gaia Savers that I didn't pay any attention to?

I... What the hell? When did this happen? I knew the brass were being dicks in MD but this is a bit much. They all were very manipulative but not comically sociopathic in 2nd OG so them suddenly turning into the Titans is a disappointment. IIRC only one of the three federation bigwigs was actually somewhat nice (must be part of hanging out with Gilliam) and he had asked Lefina out on a date by the endgame. Not sure what came out of that.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If anything, the relationship they'd been building with the Zuvorg would indicate that the hardliners don't have much sway anymore. It's just really weird.

Senerio posted:

Oh cool. I legitimately don't remember it so I probably never played OG2. I was trying to figure out where I stopped. I know I had the cartridge because I bought it and OG together.

Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm not trying to be annoying with all these questions, I just know how these games tend to be with regards to secrets.

Questions are good, this isn't the fastest moving thread so it's not like you're interrupting anything.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Also in OG2.

They can't decide what to do with her for some reason and they probably will keep messing around with what she's supposed to be good at until the end of the OG series.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Senerio posted:

Does the sub unit in the twin get credit for the kill too?

Whoever reduces the enemy to 0 HP gets the kill, including support attackers or MB supports. I find it useful to put whoever needs kills in a sub so I can have the the main unit use an ALL to weaken both enemies while the sub finishes them off.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: The Vysaga is super good and he's one of the few people who can pilot it so putting Haken in it is a good idea. The Gespenst Haken is one of the best units available to your dodgy melee pilots as well, of which there's quite a few, so it is also worth using.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"Hey guys I wrote another four binders of plot for the Z series, we've got enough games to use all of it, right?... Wait, what do you mean it's the last one?"

It feels like Xenosaga, except Z got 5 games instead of 3 and it is even more of a disjointed mess.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not going to even try to defend Xenosaga 2 but 3 is the one that had to condense 4 games into 1 and not only does it somehow make sense but it still has room for character arcs.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's odd, because the Spheres were a perfect excuse to make a bunch of quirky characters with unique special abilities, they could have just used those to do cool stuff and move the plot of the games along. But then they made a new set of themed characters and reduced half the spheres to character-less plot devices. It's like they didn't know what they wanted to do.

Also the whole Zodiac thing made the Spheres cool to everyone who looked for a bit of self insertion in these games. You'd think a game company would be aware of how powerful a thing like that is before they throw it away.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Z got me to watch Aquarion and Eureka 7 and I'm glad it did because those are cool and fun shows both.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Brain Powerd did give us CHRISTMAS PRESENTO and that's an amazing antagonist motivation.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Senerio posted:

For moon dwellers is there a better route for The Paris/Karachi route split (chapters 23-25)? Looking at the cast list it splits my team almost evenly as far as units I use so which one is recommended? (Note that the only Ace Pilot I have is Calvina but I have a ton of pilots around 25-30 kills if that affects the decision)

None of the route splits in this game matter unless you really want to unlock the Coustwell (which isn't worth using) so just pick the route with the characters/robots you like.

I went with the Paris route because it previews some Alpha 3 stuff for the next OG game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Liege Geios is basically Yon's upgrade mech and helps her keep up better than the Pfeil III does.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Leonisis Varga is the perfect partner for the Belzellute Brigandi. Flies, snipes and has a post-movement ALL. I put Ryoto in it to give Calvina extra turns. Carla, Sally or Russel would also make okay partners using their ability to synchronize stats with Calvina.

Yon's problems are bleh stats and a merely okay spirit set and there's not much you can do for her to fix that. If you pair her with Excellen then Yon can copy her stats, which helps her issues somewhat.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dear Banpresto,

Please just give your bosses spell cards already if you want to force players to not 1-turn every boss. Iron wall is just awful to play against.

Regards,
An addict.

PS: That last cutscene with Granteed going Epyon on the Crossgate was p. cool.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Beginner mode gives you more money per SR point and, IIRC an extra Grungust. But you start off following Touya instead of being able to choose between him and Our Lady and Savior Calvina and that's a sin.

I dunno about other significant changes.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Ashsaber was exactly my 22nd mech, barely edging out a deployment slot over the Lazandgrith Raven who got benched. They're about comparable in performance, but the Ashsaber has funnels and there are some things you can't buy with money or upgrade parts.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Huckebein Gunners are incredible at wiping twin formations without having to stop to resupply for ammo and I dunno why people would bench them. They're so good that I didn't realize until stage 40 or so that I never gave them equippable parts or upgraded their mobility/armor.

Like if you'd rather sword surf at people that's cool but calling them bad just confuses me.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

^^ The Huckebein Exbein Gunners have two ALLs that are ammo based and hit quite hard with very good range. I put Carla in the 2nd one and she was my first aced pilot. They're very good at wiping twins if you pair them together.

Ashsaber posted:

Having last done the first stage that those purple blob ghosts show up in, are they going to be as annoying as they look? 130 Mobility + Double Image on the weakest ones does not fill me with confidence.

5 bars in accuracy is 20k, super cheap and so useful you should give that to all the mechs you plan to use. MD has tons of enemies that aren't just dodgy, but also like to evade during the player phase instead of counterattacking. You can go without upgrading accuracy in other games but in this one it is just going to frustrate you.

e: The hit and dodge rates remind me a lot of A Portable, except in this game you have to get SR points.

e2: poo poo I just got the joke.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 25, 2016

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Rob is the nerdiest of all the techs by far and I'm glad he got to live the dream working for the SRX team.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Axel has rivalry bonuses with a bunch of people, who often get the same bonus from him. I paired him with Lamia in the Gespenst Haken and they were critting constantly. The AngelG is not a good pair for the Soulgain though. Kyosuke would probably be a good option too.

The Soulsaber-GG and the Sexbein are both very good snipers with ALL weapons, Ing can move them into position with continuous action and Akemi can hit & away to safety afterwards. Ing rarely needs to cast spirits to hit, so you can put Akemi's Twin Spirit to good use and earn tons of PP wiping squads with them.

Ryukooh + Pachinko Kaiser gives you two multipilot units with awaken and hot blood in separate pilots. Together they are easily as good as the SRX at dishing out tons of damage quick.

The Garmraid Blaze and the Armorlion both have ABBA terrain ranks so you can save an A-Adapter for someone else if you pair them together.

The Excellence Rescue works well with any of your ladies who have SP Regen, particularly Mai who regens more SP than other pilots thanks to her ace bonus, but Alfimi will also do. Deathpenis can boost everyone's Will during turn 1, then your other pilot will have regenerated their SP by the time you get to the boss.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

There's still a very lovely SR point later (Stage 44 IIRC) but it is not half as sadistic as that garbage.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I had been using Ryoto (because he learns Awaken) but he was in an unupgraded Armorlion so... He ended up using the defend/evade command a lot anyway. :v:

By total coincidence, Ing got to the 2nd top ace slot after that stage and never left my top 3 afterwards.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I partnered Shu with Gilliam just to abuse Gilliam's multiturn shenanigans. The units kinda sorta work well together so that's a bonus. Fun fact: The Mahakala system acts as a super repair kit! What's more fun than MAPWing a bunch of guys twice (god bless continuous action) and cleaning up with an absurd ALL weapon afterwards? Doing it four more times in the same battle.

I tried partnering Amara with Glacies (they're both ranged units with ALL finishers) and setting up a conga line of Josh->Glacies/Amara->Shu, the weapon ranges juust work out that way but honestly neither Amara or Glacies are worth the trouble imo.

Masaki is pretty bad, the Cybuster still lacks an ALL and his MAPW is not what it used to be. Lune is solid though, and the Valsione R's weapon ranges are similar to the Lichkeit's, so I put her on Alfimi Bodyguard Duty.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Bian was the visionary who realized first that Shu is the hero OG needs.

Shu is OG Batman.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Just leave 3-4 squads behind to one-turn her or 5-6 if you want to deal with the Liege Geioses quickly too (Calvina and Shu work best). Honestly it is not that bad, it took me by surprise and it made me insult whoever came up with it when I saw I had to send people back, but I'll take it over bosses casting iron wall.

Deploying Yon and Russel (for Bonds/Trust) is a good idea just to be on the safe side.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It is Hot Blood, not Valor.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

They use Quicken because that's the closest we'll ever get to having Rebuild 4.0 Q (Quickening) in SRW, deep down we all know the movie is never coming out.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

KoB posted:

Thats what its going to be in every game from now on. Dont be a grognard and just say quicken.

e: who am I kidding, they'll probably change it like every game and be inconsistent.

With this logic we should also use Hagwane and Kurogwane.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Grenkaiser when.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If you're playing real route male, the MP Nu's upgrades also carry over to the Werkbau, which carries over to the Wildfalken, which carries over to the Wildwurger.

You get all these units really early, so you can't take a lot of advantage from this but free money is free money.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Its been many years since I played Alpha 3 but here's some of what I remember:

Most of the newtypes learn Awaken and make excellent squad fodder.

METEOR Freedom and METEOR Justice are a strong candidate for best non-Original reals in the game.

Ideon's IDE power goes up as enemies target it and gets a big bonus when under 10% HP. The IDE barrier will activate and protect it from most grunts once this happens, so you basically want it to be at 10% HP or under pretty much all the time. Give it HP upgrades but no evasion or armor, don't bother upgrading its weapons because the Ideon Sword and Ideon Gun already have 9999 base attack power. It loses IDE power when it destroys anything, so casting mercy is key to abusing its MAPWs.

Speaking of Ideon, the unit is deservedly famous for its ability to wipe the whole map at once, but one could argue that Banpreios can do the same thing with less setup work by spamming awaken and resupply on its MAPW.

The 3 Evas in Alpha 3 have a combination attack, and Shinji's leader bonus is strengthening all AT Fields in the squad, so you could also make an argument for slapping 2 Cost Downs on 00 and making a single all-Eva squad. The abundance of combination attacks, synergistic leader bonuses and decent spirit pools in most squad fodder units means that Alpha 3 is a game where you generally want units from the same series to be in the same squad.

Making sure everyone has a Repair/Resupply squaddie is nice but this is one of those games where you can clear stages in 2-3 turns by the 2nd half of the game so it is not as much of a big deal as it is in the grindier ones.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Hyperlion is like the Grungust Type-3 and Ryukooh, they deploy precombined by default and use nearly everything equipped on all of its components. You can check what applies and what doesn't from the intermission screen. Give the Vegalion a booster and the movement range of the Hyperlion should go up. IIRC everything except the ability slot parts on the subpilot and submech should apply.

The SRX does count as its own separate unit but it's always worked that way for balance reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Right, it takes whatever Ryu has in the R1 for ability parts but has its own (single) equippable parts slot and upgrades.

• Locked thread