Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It doesn't seem very useful. If you can give Sayaka 50 kills, you can probably do 60. Now, an ace bonus at 30 or or 35 kills would be a lot more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It was actually Job John, Newtype Prodigy, who guided Amuro back to White Base.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

My dream SRW is one that comes out on Steam.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I don't blame the translator for not wanting to shorten Analyze to its first few letters.

Scale is still weird though.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Invincible/Grit spell wasn't in the GBA versions of OG1 and OG2.

It could be from Endless Frontier, which had spirits that used mostly the same names, and got an official localization.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

If it was in OG2, then Akurasu is wrong. I'm fairly sure Ryusei had Alert instead of Grit in the GBA games and I've never not used the SRX a lot so I trust my memory there.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Now we need a few of the KURISMAS PRESENTO scene and we can summarize the entire series in a couple screenshots!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The problem with combining the SRX early is that half of its weapons require high levels of Psychodriver and Ryu won't unlock those until the midgame.

And yes, MD is rather nasty with how annoying the grunts and SR points are. When you're not playing A Portable against the Fury you're taking status debuffs from the Lamalice and hoping they don't trigger afterimage. And when you're not dealing with either of them you have to keep NPCs from dying to Guardisword swarms. Also the last few boss fights of the game are garbage.

It is not terrible but it is a step down from OG2nd.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

why is sayla topless

what the hell is char wearing

why is everyone but lalah white

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

When I was a SRW newbie the latest game was Alpha 3 and I was both impressed and horrified that Cobray's finisher was a minute and half long.

These days a finisher like that barely registers as lengthy.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did that Nadesico game show what Saburouta was like back when he was a hardcore super robot groupie like the rest of the Jovian special forces guys? His description says the way he is now is not even a shadow of how he was then.

Saburouta shows up in the series as an ace pilot and fights the Nadesico a few times. I only realized they were the same person because of Shinichiro Miki's voice.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

In SRW R you could even make Raul/Fiona befriend everyone, simply by ending the turn next to them enough times a la Fire emblem. Tthey both start with support attack/defend, so you have a good reason to do this.

I remember that in my run Fiona's first friend on the Nadesico was none other than Gai. Granted, the friendship revolved about her keeping him from exploding during the enemy phase but hey, it's something.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 25, 2017

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't care, I'm gonna FUB Cybuster in any game it's feature because it's my favorite mech of all time. :colbert:

It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Midorikawa. I've always been a fan of your work.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The subject of trailers was considered taboo to speak in public.

More seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if they're simply transported from another Earth.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

For the record, psychoanalyst Wilhelm Reich, who invented Orgone and the science of Orgonomy, lived and worked at his home, the Orgonon, and you can read all about his exciting discoveries in his book, The Function of the Orgasm.

To add to this, Orgone energy was taken semi seriously a hundred years ago. Reich even got Einstein to try out some of his experiments.

Too bad real life Orgone Accumulators don't grow magic green crystals.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

This interview is super insightful stuff.

quote:

Nasu: What I've gotten out of this discussion so far is that if you had to sum up SRW in a word, it would be dreams. Many players wish their favorite characters got more screentime, but stories are made to be consumed. Once you're done consuming them, they're in the past. But even when the story is a thing of the past, the characters still remain. SRW embodies that player dream of giving their favorite characters more screentime. The dreams of the players, the characters that the writers want to make, and the wishes of the corporate bigwigs. (laughs) It's those three things combined that make SRW what it is, in my view.

I've never been interested in anything from Nasu but this makes me want to buy him a drink. Reading him and Terada geeking out together is good. Also, I'm amused that the idea for how to handle the TTGL finale in Z3 came out from the script writer and. Knowing that they also ask creators just how much of the original story can be changed is very interesting, especially when you think that Fukuda supposedly wasn't too excited about how much people in general (including Shinn's VA) liked Z's changes to GSD. I'd love to be a fly on the wall listening to these conversations where the staff figures out how and why to change each series' plot.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The interview continues to be very enlightening and knowing Cu Chulainn is in it almost makes me want to get into Fate. Almost. Hokuto, you have a stray exchange between Anno and Terada before the question about giving Gundam weapons to the Mazinger.

Repeated posts from people in these threads and discord servers have gotten me to watch Cross Ange and I am unironically enjoying it now that I'm halfway into the series.

Looking forward to playing V, picking Chitose and making all the Cross Ange characters superstars in like four years from now when PS4's go on sale.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I remember Terada saying several years ago that he would like to make a simple SRW without story. I'm glad that he now thinks the scenarios are a crucial part of what makes it work. Maybe he changed his mind after OE?

Thanks for the translation, Hokuto.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Originals are one of my favorite things about these games and Z3's originals are so uninteresting that I still haven't played either title. Not even the strength of 3-1's CCA into TTGL finale can convince me to do so.

I still think Insalaum made for a good cast of antagonists. Every time they get one of their plots rolling you lose one of your originals to stop them, making them some of the most effective and threatening OG antagonists to date. The BGMs, mech designs and animations are top tier. The idea of using the last game's DAMONs and mass-producing them is loving terrifying, though they are very much neutered from their 2-1 nightmare versions... Which is gameplay-story integration... kinda? Uther also convincingly pulls off a Zero Requiem better than Zero and finishes off the last game's antagonists for good.* Everything about Esther in the 2nd half of the game is utter garbage though.

On another note, I really liked Aim and Shiony as well. Honestly I have no complaints about Z2-1 itself, but the way they tried to have the plot of Z2-2 do its own thing only to tie it back and retread 2-1 at the end does weaken it somewhat.

I also liked Z1's Edel more before his alternate universe versions were popping up in every other Z game. At times it feels like Edel should have been the protagonist of Z2 or Z3 himself.

*Until Gaioh comes back for bullshit reasons and becomes a boring-rear end end boss. The reveal about the nature of DAMONs was good and Hagane no Resistance is like my favorite opening song turned into a final battle BGM but that asspull was dumb.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Caphi posted:

This is one of the most teeth-grinding things about Z3! It's baked right into the plot that an off-kilter and potentially fascinating The Edel - a woman, no less - was going to be its hero, and then it tells her to shut up and sit down immediately behind the most boring boring boy who ever bored because... love, or something.

And imagine how grand it would have been to finish out the Z series with The Edel finally taking their place as the hero! I guess that would have been too much like Alpha. (No, AG doesn't count.)

What amuses me about this is that I was talking about Elgan and AG being friendly driving forces for the plot... I didn't know Suzune was yet another Edel. It is kind of amazing how, every time I learn something about the plot of Z3-2, I only dislike it more.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'd start by making Kyosuke the main character, so we get the wombo combo of the Einst being mysterious douchefucks every other stage and featuring a different brainwashed girl for him to save each game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

sword quick slash 1500
sword heavy slash 3000
sword really heavy slash!! 5000

The enemy units can have more variety though.

You joke but in Compact 3 Escaflowne has exactly 2 attacks for the entire game. It goes up to three if you count the one attack it has in dragon form.

That game was the most :effort: SRW I ever played.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Majestic Prince is not an amazing show but it has fun and charming character dynamics and some surprisingly good 3d action scenes. Watch it if you want goofy dorks being dinguses at each other with some cool mecha scenes and avoid it if you're looking for a particularly memorable plot, novel setting or well-developed themes.

A game with MJP in english would be a treat just for the shenanigan intermission skits alone.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Looking forward to the reveal of SRW S, coming this year to Steam including Pacific Rim.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I actually screamed "WHAT" at my TV when Masaki showed up. I'm easily impressed.

Looking forward to making my friends Shou, Ange and Masaki team up in the next decade when I get a PS4.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Are there people really boycotting this game in outrage that it has a robot cartoon they don't like? :psyduck:

Davzz posted:

I don't think any game actually did G Gundam's tournament plotline, at best they make reference or joke about it.

Most of the non-Shuffle Alliance tournament fighters don't appear either, except in 64, which I think had Mandala Gundam playable for reasons.

SRW 64 mentions the GANDAMU FAITO exactly once, I believe as part of its backstory, and also features the ZEUS GUNDAM as an enemy. I don't think any other game does either of those.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Judge doesn't understand what is going on half the time and is perfectly fine being led by the nose by any sufficiently charismatic lawyer. If Fudo was in AA he would have the Judge eating out of his hand after the first koan.

With that said, Fudo would work best as an assistant, giving uselessly cryptic advice and offering koans to the whole courtroom when it is time for the turnabout.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

These are always a nice read and I'm glad to learn you didn't get as much vitriol as other translators for this series sometimes get.

I hope the same goes for Gideon, outside of the eternal jokes about delays, and that people don't tweet him with how angry they are that the game is ruined because Ankoku Daishogun is General Dark or whatever.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

When you boil it down to the essentials of SRW design, most units only really have four weapons: Spammable ranged, spammable melee, finisher ranged, finisher melee. Usually the first two use ammo and the latter two energy. MAPWs are the optional fifth slot. The overwhelming majority of the time, when a robot has more than these 4 or 5 weapons, some of them are largely extraneous and don't matter.

This is an accidental consequence of most SRW's boring approach to weapon design, for the most part. Actually committing to this idea and giving every single unit 4 or 5 weapons would make the units interchangeable and a lot less interesting to play with. What they really should do is give every other weapon strong status conditions or other special abilities (like the knockback from NEO) to make them worth using.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It won't be this year or the next but at some point I'll get a PS4 and play Hokuto's game.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I carried Amuro in the RX-78-2 all the way to the end in A Portable, feeding him like half my accuracy skill parts the whole game. He was in my top 5 for most of the game but still had like 3X% hit rates against the final boss. Just accept that you want to field all the people packing Strike/Lockon and Inspire/Attune you can get and you'll save yourself a lot of frustration.

I think it's a pretty good game on a purely mechanical level. Yeah, you have to tryhard (or cheat) but it's very rewarding and it feels nice to have a game that is mostly about knowing how to use basic mechanics well instead of having to fiddle with squad systems or tac-p or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

All I want is SRW on Steam.

• Locked thread