Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Anyone still wondering about the bargain, it's 駆け引き, which can be bargaining (in the sense of wheedling or haggling) but more generally can mean negotiation, reading the opponent, mind games, the subtlety of exchange. So the intent would be don't hold back, don't play games, don't poke with weak attacks, just come at me as hard as you can.

This has been a serious post about the OGMD translation from Caphi. I promise it won't happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think it's still pointed outward so it's more like "You don't have to play any games with me."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GimmickMan posted:

Con: I can no longer pretend this thing is called the Excessbein.
Pro: I can now call it the Sexbein.

XXXbein.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Before they get turned against you by Saint "その喜びは私とともにある" Advent. Hope you enjoy those "eternities"!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The real problem is that by the time he got twelve Care Bears (are there twelve?) to form a new, awful, pastel Supreme - which would, to be fair, still look less terrible than Z Supreme - you'd never be able to get one of them to cut themself off. Hell, we barely got an Eternity to rebel who'd been angry for the lifetime of a jillion universes.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ten bears, Asakim, and I guess Sacrifi, the only other Angel remotely worth caring any amount about, because it's sure not Doctrine "Midboss" Madocle or Tempty "Not Fought In This Game" Titty.

e: Grumpy Bear is revealed to have been Gunpy Bear all along in a throwaway chapter in which Gunleon is not mentioned.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It helps to try to match the ranges of ranged attacks, (P) attacks, and ALL attacks across the twin. It's tempting to pair e.g. Arado and Seolla, or Dygenguar and Aussenseiter, for reasons other than combinations, but practically it generally means any given combat action is not working for somebody.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Arado/Seolla and Kyosuke/Excellen pairs actually work out decently if you give Arado and Kyosuke equippable long range weapons. Rectangular launcher etc. But in practice if you're using both it's probably better to have Arado/Kyosuke and Seolla/Excellen and just always keep them together.

My current arrangement is Kyosuke+Arriere, Excellen+Seolla, and Arado+Latooni (Wildraubtier). I'm trying to find either another machine or another position for Lat though because Schnabel Assault doesn't really work with the setup that well, even though I love Stagbeetle Crusher + Blade Sai. It's a real struggle.

I do need to dig up a Rectangle Launcher for Kyosuke though. I keep forgetting.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Exbein Boxer? Lat isn't a TK but she kind of doesn't need to be.

I think the APT-LINK works on Fang Slasher but don't you still need TK for G Sword Diver and maybe Catapult Kick? I'm not entirely clear what no longer needs an actual psychic. I kind of feel like most of it is just to unlock the EX Exbein.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Notably, Excellen has this command, and it lets Kyosuke not be poo poo with ranged weapons :v:

Is there a list of relationship bonuses for MD yet? A lot of them are kind of...random. And several huge bonuses are for pairs you would probably never use, like Shine's level 3 (!!!) love bonus with Rai.

Found one.

Basically it says that the unit needs to be adjacent, and the relationship level gets an effective +1 bonus if the units are twinned.

There may be character spoilers (not sure what Masaki and Lune are doing in there).

quote:

Shouko: Michiru Friends L1
Michiru: Shouko Love L2

:allears:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Does Sanger even know how to actually ride? Because Ratsel does since he names his robots after his horse.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

They technically still do they just somehow remain amazingly unmolested because 99% of the threats are focused specifically on Earth.

Earth goddamn sucks in the OGverse.

Didn't they get blown up by Nashim?

Earth sucks in most SRWverses. I believe in both Alpha and Z the planet is basically one big McGuffin, connected to the main villains' backstory in a way that makes half the galaxy want to conquer or destroy it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I changed my mind again, chapter 27 is the worst SR Point in the world.

If there's a worse one coming, do not tell me.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

Huh, you mean the one where the Hagane has to get to the spot in time? I honestly don't recall anything tricky about that one.

Edit: You can also get it by destroying all the enemies IIRC

Nope, the one after that. I took my last screenshot from it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

Oh, the Soulsaber stage?

I actually found that one less annoying than the Huckebein stage because the enemy priority is different so it was easier to get them to target Hagane or Soulsaber and I could move Hagane over to use repair on the one they did keep targeting. It gets a lot shittier once reinforcements show up but at least by then you have twenty people with trust to make them tank it.

No "protect the NPC' stage is good though.

Edit: What the hell is the point of the Coustwell Brachium? I unlocked it and despite apparently being a secret mecha it's way shittier than either of the other J mecha despite being pilot locked even discounting that it begins unupgraded

Once the Hiryu shows up all the NPCs are overflowing with courage, some of them started attacking Vort on their own turns and he kills them at obnoxiously high health with no non-Confused chance to miss. You can make them tank it, it's just frustrating. Lamalice Carna are less reliable suicide even for those poo poo-rear end Huckies.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
サービス roughly means "on the house". It's a cheeky way of saying "and here's another one!"

"Fire and pierce" is one of Kyosuke's catchphrases, the one associated with Revolver Stake/Bunker - どんな装甲だろうと撃ち貫くのみ (no matter the armor, all I have to do is shoot through).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
My problem is just that the Granteed is supposed to be the big important powerful doom machine but it's actually really bad. It's very slow and its weapons are unwieldy. If it was actually impressive I'd be a little more inclined to get invested in Touya, like with Ing. Is the upgrade any better about this?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Did the text of that Lamalice' cry just change mid-line?

e: no it made another noise my bad, it looked wrong for the text to change right there though

Caphi fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 14, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm not using them anyway, I can't even remember the last thing of any note Hugo or Aqua did. Someone probably commented on the DFC suit once. Again. Meanwhile Josh and Laci are supporting the hell out of Calvina's thing, and pretty much all the grunts have passed through one of the many scenes of Touya and Tenia in the mess hall. Maybe I just took the wrong splits but Hugo and Aqua might as well have not been in the game I read.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

Is Gilliam's ace as bad it reads on the wiki? Auto-scan within 10 squares? And I wish Aussenseiter proc'd Ratsel's by itself but I guess he'll have to hang near Gilliam for a while. IS there a list of what counts as what colour, I'm colour blind so it would be nice. For Haken's ace: do subpilots count? If so then twinning him with Ibis gets him +20% from Aschen + Ibis/Tsugumi/Sleigh and I don't think there's anything else with as many girls. Kei's ace in Z3 counted subpilots for sure, but it was a much more subtle effect damage-wise.

You don't even need to be colorblind, I paired Katina (Gigan) with Sanger last time but now I have no idea if Dygenguar is considered black, red, both, or neither.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I feel like the Type 0 should go with the Type 3 just on grounds of being the Grungusts with P-ALL chest blasters.

P-ALLs are weird. I'm feeling like putting Lamia back in the Angelg now that I have the Brigandy so they can do that together and also snipe things together.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
5 move and 1 P range until Will 120 isn't exaggerated.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
6 move and a hard 1 range post movement is still pretty bad. Burning Accel to have the same effective attack range as (or less than) most attackers have on normal power is still pretty bad. And who were you going to pair that 1 range with?

And it's not like he's a King Gainer who gets insane once he reaches his Will requirement. Orgonite Buster isn't exactly efficient as a bread and butter attack, and that's assuming Touya gets to that point with any expedience given his issues reaching or hitting enemies without leaking SP. This is why Granteed and any twin including it has consistently fallen behind on every front every time I've had to use it.

And yes, I gave him the headband. And a booster.

At least I think I'm about to get the Dracodeus.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You seem like you're determined to use the Granteed because you like it, which is extremely cool and a good way to play Super Robot Wars, but that doesn't mean it's actually effective because you can sink all your resources into making it kind of okay.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah the Chevalier is useless. Maybe someone really wanted you to use the Fortgig.

And then a bunch of Lamalice stages lock in the Chevalier and Neige. :shrug:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
While we're talking about formations and Re-Tech, who's y'all's preferred Forte Gigas subpilot? I'm still deciding, my Laci is way behind on kills but I can still work on that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Oh Snapple! posted:

The event with Calvina putting the fear of God into Jua-Mu so hard that even after stopping time all he can do is cower away is :allears: as gently caress. poo poo like that is why I hold it against Z3 for cheaping the gently caress out and not having full 3D map sprites.

What, that's not what happened, he ran because he used the Wrathailem in reflex and it instantly shattered his entire self-image and pride as a knight because doing that is taboo. He realized he hosed up. He pushed the button because of Calvina but she's not why he turned tail.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
When is OG going to get its own Fire Bomber?

Actually if the Faerlions did Fire Bomber stuff I might use them. It'd probably be five times as skeevy, though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Lamia only says one thing every ten chapters but she messes it up every single time.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I looked the animations up and I like Melua for both of them best, send help.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

It's okay, it's better for Masaki to be benched anyway. "hey guys, Shu rejiggered the Cybuster to run off evil energy, I can't imagine ANY way this can backfire!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElFwqs5OJc

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

BlitzBlast posted:

And if you get it you miss out on the gloriousness of Insane Yelling In A Kung-Fu Robot.

That's what they said about Geminion 0. I'm not sold.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Yeah okay the Dracodeus is borked. Who gives a machine a free reductive barrier?

Maybe it gets nerfed in OGs3 or 4 or whatever.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This game definitely feels like a followup to OG2, in that alien assholes in endgame-tier units will regularly crash early and mid stages, make a mess, and then peace out at 30k.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

The G-Thunder Gate DOES have a MAPW so if you grab her Continuous Action, you can have her pop out, MAPW some stuff and kill at least one.

Other than that, I'd just grab SP Ups.

You can do this anyway, any combined unit at any time only uses the active status of the main pilot. You can use the actions of the Vegalion, G Thunder Gate, G-Bison, and RyuOhKi/KoOhKi for free and then recombine them. (This is also why the 2x Formation R into HTB Cannon trick has worked since way back when.)

I believe, actually, that if you divide your ChoKiJin, act with the secondary, recombine, and then flip them, it actually spends the unit's turn (since that pilot has acted and they now can't transform back).

e: beaten I think

Caphi fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 17, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't think the attacks automatically hit. Though I think they might pass barriers.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Speaking of poo poo that no one cares is dangerous, isn't there some dimensional fuckery going on with using the Wrathailem that Granteed Dracodeus just gets as a passive? Or is blinking it to evade supposed to be within tolerances? Because I don't know how strict the Knights' taboo is compared to the actual dimensional veil or whatever, but that was definitely too much for Jua-Mu.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I am so done with guardmechs turtling with Orgone Clouds.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

EthanSteele posted:

There are so many guys that defend or evade this game! I think in the whole of 2ndOG there was only one instance of enemies defending which was the Ruina intro with the weird dog ones forming a defensive ring around the base entrance. In Moon Dwellers there's been guys on every stage where the SR point is to kill everything if there's a special victory condition. At least the MP Huckebeins defend when attacked instead of trying to die using a 30% accuracy counter attack.

Didn't Gan-Eden's guards also defend? They know they're there to boost Divine Shield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I think the "defend these Feddies" missions are actually impossible without Confuse.

• Locked thread