Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ImpAtom posted:

Because most of the 'real robots' hit as hard as a super robot but instead of tanking attacks just avoid the damage entirely. I mean Calvina alone is probably one of the singularly most broken units in the game.

The line between Real and Super in MD is rail-thin anyway.

There's a line, it's just not damage output, because damage output is a baseline requirement. Units that have something else good enough to make up for not being able to drop Valor Maxbreak Combination (cheap High Rouse/Confuse/Bonds, probably) are the exception.

Z did the best at distinguishing them because Reals moved in groups and did damage in aggregate while Supers plodded around with their assistants. OG doesn't have that. Everyone has to be able to move fast and hit hard, regardless of how they survive and whether they're primarily EN or ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

ShiunTouya posted:

:eng101: "凶鳥" Is also disaster chicken and no one will make me think otherwise.

EDIT: It is also what the chinese call the Huckebein.

Here's the official definition of Super Robot according to the game:

It's out of date, half the reals also have special power and control systems.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Well, we are facing a Tronium crisis...

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

BlitzBlast posted:

The Dracodeus is nigh invincible, but that is its only major selling point in my opinion. And that arguably doesn't make up for it being the Granteed for like 20 stages.

Hey, maybe it'll suck less in OG4 when they put Basilius away for half the game, wherever they put the Gunstriker Frames, the ChoKiJin, spare Grungusts, artificial humans, and the Free Electron Cannon.

Which I assume is just one big ready-to-ship transport container labeled "EMERGENCY KIT: SHIP TO WHEREVER C/O UNITED STRATEGIC COUNCIL ONLY IN CASE OF GLOBAL PERIL."

And one of those "_ days since" flipboards on the side.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I wasn't getting Ratsel's ace bonus when parking him next to Sanger so I thought it was just broken, but then I got it when he happened to be next to Haken. So apparently Dygenguar isn't black after all.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't think I've seen Yuuki and Carla talk to each other lately. They're nominally an Alpha pair but they're just sort of there, and so are their default robots, for that matter.

Actually, I feel like I haven't seen Yuuki talk much lately, period. Carla at least hangs out in the mess with the other grunt-kids sometimes. You'd think he'd at least show up to offer someone some tea.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I always used to forget that Carla is weirdly tanky so this time I put her in the Type-2 and let her back up Bullet and Kusuha. It seemed weirdly correct.

I usually just throw Yuuki into the Ashsaber and use him as filler for snipers on route splits (it's pretty much always Ratsel).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
OG doesn't have any of the really insane robot or pilot skills, either. It's mostly "this robot has a good barrier and can tank real hard" or "a former boss so it has Full Block." It's never going to be anything like Z's Overskill: Acceleration or Negotiator, for instance.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MonsieurChoc posted:

I want Ring to come back with CEO, and Gilliam to get Negotiator.

Then Akemi, Akimi, Raul and Fiona should get Salaryman.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ah, the days when combination attacks only used one weapon each and not, you know, all of them, at once. Eternal Darning Needle and TK Double Knuckle would not have worked if they hadn't moved up to unified weapon upgrades.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Touma was just there in @3, but in OG he's worse because his existent plot was "bums around the ship and harasses Minaki until she just gives him her dad's robot."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
He and Ratsel are both memes so they'll never die no matter what any of us think.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The thing is that yes, allied units in SRW are stronger than enemy units at a baseline, but SR points actually do require you to be overwhelmingly stronger than enemy units. If you're just trying to win, the game is pretty trivial. Winning under par is balanced around the idea that you have about 50% more movement speed, 100% more survivability, 200% more damage output, etc. than you actually do, which they're perfectly aware is already enough to sweep the enemy with minimal trying. Obviously how hard that is varies from game to game (say, any Z sequel vs. any OG game) but the point is that SRW isn't really about winning in the same way that Fire Emblem is. SRW is about winning with as much class as possible.

I should get back to playing NEO, which was actually a nasty resources game but did it well.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Rascyc posted:

There are like two gamefaqs posters who LJ their play throughs and they are always all SR point no upgrade runs. It may seem like upgrading is required but the truth is that you probably just haven't mastered the systems.

I meant with spirits chat. You can probably do no upgrades but it makes it take longer and you have to reload more.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
MD is one of the games where you can hold an Awakened turn by not using it, right? Because that got nerfed real hard with Aoi between Z2 and Z3 and it's going to be even worse for Raul if it isn't.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Lamia is weird because she's actually an evasive pilot with Focus but both her default machines are very heavy and survive on Double Image and Prevail (she also has Guard, I guess). I put her in the Wildraubtier for a bit and she seems to have gone all the way to untouchable.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also I'm pretty disappointed with Hellruga Izbeluga because there's a lot a few things going on with his underlings but all the man himself has done is be like "I have to commit war crimes so Goraikunl-sempai will notice me."

I guess you have to do whatever it takes when you're the Fuhrer of a vessel called the Rubble Pile.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Seriously Banpresto give us back the Wildschwein. Put it in instead of the MP Hucky III they dig out of storage every game. Or the Schwert, does anyone actually use the Schwert?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hunter Noventa posted:

Yeah you can put Repair/Resupply on the Schwert and send it out solo if you really want to. But I would love to have the Wildschwein back, give it an upgrade like they did the Wildraubtier.

The Wildraubtier Schnabel alone is a pretty good argument, but they also still have the R-Blade Custom, which... I mean, it's not the Huckebein III, but honestly. Plus they've now reissued the Grungust Type 2 even though I'm pretty sure its codex just admits that its not as good as the original Grungust, which is itself now the Grungust Custom. So with two spare R-prototypes, two to three bonus Grungusts, and four Halloween Gespensts all still kicking around, why don't we have a Wildschwein [German word]?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In non-mechanical news, is the Federation and/or United Strategic Council being total dickbags feeling sudden to anyone else? Because MD is all about secrets but also we've gone from being allowed to beat up aliens and terrorists the old-fashioned way to being ordered to gas a colony of noncombatants (and by the way, I'm surprised neither Ratsel nor Rai had anything particular to say about that). I know we kind of shot the President of Earth but jeez. What happened to those two nice old guys from Gaia Savers that I didn't pay any attention to?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I don't understand why Katina is range-tilted. Even putting aside the issue of all her best robot candidates, her theme is basically called "beat you the gently caress up (with my fists)".

I guess because she can't be the Gespenst C because Kai owns Jet Phantom and for some reason the Type-N's best weapon is the long rifle? But even then she should be a balance type. It looks like the intent with her is to abuse Assail with ALL-W cannon type weapons but that's dumb.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 11, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Katina should just have really high scores in both her attack stats since both of her defenses are bottom tier.

High Skill instead would also work since it enables her to TACONA-GU-RI things more/harder/faster (Counter, Double Attack).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Late:

GimmickMan posted:

If anything, the relationship they'd been building with the Zuvorg would indicate that the hardliners don't have much sway anymore. It's just really weird.

Questions are good, this isn't the fastest moving thread so it's not like you're interrupting anything.

I guess nobody told the Strategic Council. Or Miles.

At least Ginto's cool, I went in all ready to be like "you're not my real Daitetsu."

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Maybe there will be interesting pilot skills when the Sphere Reactors join.

No, wait, it'll still be two games after that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Verranicus posted:

I've finally ordered the PS3 Z games and they're set to arrive tomorrow, can someone give me a rundown on the villains of both games/the world ending scheme I'm trying to stop?

Let's see -

Z1: There's something called "dimension energy" that does all kinds of hosed up poo poo. There are twelve Zodiac-themed items of black technology called Spheres that generate lots of it. They're keyed to people, have different powers, and are unlocked by different emotions. Asakim Douwin is trying to collect them all like Highlander Dragonballs. History is a giant time-distorted cycle of identical wars and destruction designed by something called the taiji (the Asian concept of the fundamental cosmic energy) using Paradigm City as a vector and the Big Army as a catalyst. Large spacetime-fuckery events are anchored by people called Singularities and places called Grand Singularities that have the power to fix/rewrite reality when focused together. The Edel Bernal is aware of this and more and is trying to turn the world into a giant war zone to maximize his own personal firepower fun using super-dimensional magic. Quattro "Char Aznable" Bajeena is aware that he is destined to fight Amuro Ray over a colony that he is dropping on Earth, but does not understand when or why.

Z2: Spheres have power levels. The people from Gurren-Lagann, Gundam 00, Dancouga Nova, Mazinger Z, Aquarion, and some other stuff have been trying to either protect humanity from or prepare them for some sort of huge oncoming event called "Ba'al." So have Gaioh, who is a "Dimensional General" who tries to turn the entire planet into his monster army, and Elgan Roddick, who is literally another The Edel but not a dickbag and totally cool (he got shot). Asakim has the Sphere of the Curious Goat and one more, and steals the False Black Sheep and Unending Water-Bearer. All of both ZEUTH (Z) and ZEXIS (Z2) have been made Singularities of something by some unknown intelligence.

Current Sphere count:
Scarred Lion (Land Travis)
Sorrowful Maiden (Setsuko Ohara)
Wavering Scales (Crowe Bruest)
Curious Goat (Asakim Douwin)
False Black Sheep (Asakim Douwin)
Unending Water-Bearer (Asakim "BRBRBRBR WEEEOWWWW" Douwin)

Did I miss anything?

Caphi fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 13, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z3 is about a succession of space assholes who represent your DAD GOD GET OFF MY CASE AND LET ME LIVE MY OWN LIFE I HATE YOU, and the only superpowered nerd from /x/ (and his unbalanced teacher/girlfriend) who can show them the true meaning of love.

I thought he was asking for the background he needs going into Z3 so that's what I wrote up real fast.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The extraneous bullshit is the second best part of Z3. Any given Sidereal commander or subcommander is a zillion times more interesting than the Envoys.

(Except Dead Space, who had a rad as hell unit concept that was completely wasted on a drab edgelord, and even then his sister was more interesting.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

heavybassX posted:

Is it worth playing the Z series? I'm currently knee deep into Alpha 1 and I already watched the archive LP of Alpha Gaiden.

Z is fantastic.

Z2 is okay.

Z3.1 is solid.

Z3.2 is extremely eh. I just give it a lot of poo poo because it's very full of itself for being so eh.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z3.2 has some specific extremely amazing moments, though, like the revelation that the dumb optional scenes with the dumb mascot character in the intermissions of both Z3 games are actually an extremely critical plot point that goes all the way back to key plot twists in Z1.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Pureauthor posted:

Z2 may not be all that as a game but it's still the high water mark in terms of OG villains.

Z2.2 had like four OG bosses, one of them was bound to be decent.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Ethiser posted:

And the fact that we didn't get to see mechs for the rest of the zodiac is a travesty.

It's really just Fish Robot, Goat Robot, and Centaur Robot, and despite being Pisces myself, I'm not too broken up about it, especially given the powers they gave Fish and Goat. And the Archer Standing Firm is a pretty lame superpower to give a hero, too, dramatically speaking.

On the other hand, have you seen the Quarreling Twins' Reaction, and they gave that deflated party balloon two whole games.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The Spheres went pretty downhill over Z's lifetime, really.
  • The Lion, Maiden, and Scales were solid hero Spheres because they convert heroism directly into sacrifice, and they all do it in different personal ways.
  • The Sheep is kind of a cop-out bad guy Sphere on the surface but its feedback made it one of the most colorful villains around.
  • The Water-Bearer is kind of a retread of the Lion, but on a larger scale. It kind of works because it's more of a matter of principles and goals instead of individual moments of on-the-spot bravery. It's perfectly functional for that noble villain archetype.
  • Goat would be kind of interesting to play the story of, actually, if it had been thought through, but as it stands, clearly only exists to counter the Sheep.
  • The Twins is one big wasted opportunity.
  • The Scorpion, Bull, and Crab are dumb villain archetypes made into magic powers, but at least one of them would probably have been kind of interesting if they weren't all introduced as next-level Sphere Reactors that had evolved beyond feedback :smug:.
  • The Archer is lame. "Gets more power when it's outmatched" are you kidding me.
  • And the Fishes is even lamer than the Archer.
If Ime had been Stage 3, he would have been utterly unbearable. Actually that was pretty much Advent, huh.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I watched Tekkaman Blade because of W and Brain Powerd because of J.

So it's not all a plus.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's a video on Nico titled "Organic Dialogue" that's just a supercut of all of Brain Powerd's most baffling scenes, starting with Hime's "0 to 'you're my boyfriend now!' in one second" kiss and ending with that extended scene where Yuu monologues the entire plot to a sentient building.

There's nothing structurally wrong with Blade, it's just powered by that "your superpowers manifest in the most personally tragic way we could think of, just because" trope I've only grown less fond of since I watched it, and in retrospect I'm not convinced they ever had a decent idea of what to do after Blade kills Evil.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

HitTheTargets posted:

I just don't care about anime teenagers trying to smooch each other. It isn't in me.

Same, friend. We are alone in the world of anime.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Who the gently caress signed off on chapter 41. I don't care if it was imported directly from GC, it's the most frustrating piece of SRW I've ever played, and that includes the three other bullshit stages in MD so far, and there's five hours of it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It really bites that subpilot Ace bonuses seem to be entirely disabled. When I found out I thought I was supposed to stack the Akatsuki twins'. And the Ibis/Sleigh team... it's such a bizarre waste.

e: also Raul's kind of bites because it turns out you can't hold Awakened turns, so it basically means you get a second turn 2 and that's it. Unless you do split/rendezvous shenanigans, I guess, which seems like such a weird thing to encourage you to do with those two that I can't help but think they just messed it up.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 17, 2016

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I paired the Brigandy with the Hyperion. Long range, disgustingly long-range posts and P-ALLs (Ibis only gets 3 of them though), and they're extremely fast. Also I aced them both early and when I get aces I start shifting them over to weakening and boss duty and deliberately getting others kills. (Calvina is still my number 1.)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Yep. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The first Z was kind of apocalyptic. Technology was weird, communications were hobbled, and it was generally the sort of setting where you could have honest-to-god bandits.

• Locked thread