Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm playing through Z1. What sort of pilot skills should I get? I used to automatically give everyone Ignore Size Difference and Break Morale Limit, but I've been thinking... I played the two Z2 games and remember giving everyone Continuous Attack, but it's expensive...

Any character with good All attacks you're expecting to use a lot: Focused Attack.

Any character you're going to use mostly as a squademate: Backup Attack

Any character with primarily support Spirits: SP Up.

Other then those which I feel are needed I feel it's best done on a case by case basis. Pick what you think will fit each character.

For instance, when I LPed Z I saw that Banjo and Duke have very good Skill stats, comparable to Amuro and Kei's, so I taught them Attack Again and they worked very well. For Shinn I wanted him to ram to SEED activation as fast as possible, so he learned Will+(Evade)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Betting a Great Ace is 100 kills.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Z1, the last major SRW to not be a sequel had 20 series. And of those 5 of them (Daitarn, Xabungle, Char's Counterattack, Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger) were unit only. So effectively 15 series.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Crossange.jpg

Shinn continues to be the best in SRW. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Please tell me the entire game has Shinn not putting up with Cross Ange's crap. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Shinji's completely baffled expression makes this perfect.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Supremezero posted:

... weird. Upgrading Black Getter before getting Shin Getter upgraded Shin Getter, even though you keep Black Getter. That... normally doesn't happen in these games, I think.

Nah there are plenty of times in the series when a unit will pass down upgrades even if you keep it.

For example the Zeta and Destiny Gundams in Z1 will get all the upgrades you give the Gundam Mk. II and Impulse respectively.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

RoyalScion posted:

I was never really sure how much attacker is worth vs raising the stat; since attacker is so expensive (2k PP) you can pay for 100 CQB/RNG stat upgrade.

The way damage is calculated in SRW it's 2 points In an offensive stat to up damage by 1%.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 1, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty much every modern SRW uses that formula. Don't know when exactly it came into being, maybe Alpha or Alpha gaiden?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm pretty sure the only time there's been any cross series pilot swapping has been when Turn A Gundam is in the game, in which case they're thrown into the UC Mobile Suit pile, and in SRW 4 where the Real Original could also pilot UC Mobile Suits.

And the plot based instances in MX and Alpha 3, but those aren't freely swappable.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately not really. Most protagonist units are locked to their designated pilot for plot reasons.

And sometime just because.

(I wanted to give Luna the Akatsuki game! :argh:)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

My complaint about the Akatsuki is from Z1, I don't have V yet. :shobon:

Akatsuki doesn't seem to be in V. As for Z1, it's locked to noted war criminal Neo Roanoke.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Just put Code Geass, Valvrave, and Gundam SEED (not Destiny) in the same game Banpresto tia.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Endorph posted:

I think in the 3ds games?

edit: Also like the first half of G-Reco is mostly water-based so it'd be good to pair it with some stuff with a similar setting so you could have some mechs with decent water ratings. and give you getter early so you can have musashi/benkei. maybe rinne no lagrange would fit?

Lol if you think Getter will be put on any water routes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tiger Shark posted:

So I finally received my copy of SRW V from Play-Asia. This is my first SRW game so there's a ton of stuff that I don't understand and the game doesn't seem to explain. Like what do all the stats mean? HP and EN I figured out, what does Armor, Mobility, and Sight do on a Mech? I can guess CBQ and RNG refer to melee and range, but do they affect damage or hit rates? What does the Potential Lvl affect? Should I be rank up Mech stats, Pilot stats, or open up the skill tree first? How long is it going to take me to get used to O for confirm and X to cancel? Actually the controls in general always throw me for a loop when I'm in menus. I always find myself wondering if I should hit Triangle or Square to bring up what I need. This is actually the first game in a long while that I wish I had a printed instruction manual for.

CBQ and RNG effect damage. Hit rates is based off the Mech's Accuracy stat and the Pilot's HIT stat.

The way Potential Works is that it increases a units Hit Rate, Defense, Evade, and Criticial Hit Rate as the unit's HP goes down. The level determines at what point the skill starts to take effect, while increasing the range of the effect. Level 1 Potential will trigger when the unit is at 10% HP or less. This same boost will happen at 90% HP or less at Level 9, and the boosts will increase the lower the HP and the higher the level. So Level 9 Potential at 10% HP will actually be rather tough, accurate evasive, and crit like mad.

Mechs and Pilots are developed on seperate tracks with seperate currencies, so don't worry about that. Upgrade who you like.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

No, it's not possible to see everything in a single playthrough. There are always route splits that send half your units on different directions.

And yes, equal spreading out of upgrades works fine.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think OG1 is the lowest power SRW.

At the very least it's one of the most Real Robot heavy.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

Not in Z1. A ton of those missions are just like 2-3 hour fests, like the one mission that basically requires you to pre-aim an AoE at a spawn point of Titans. Or that one map where you have to kill like 7 series bosses across a huge map.

Of course, Z1 didn't have buyable SP Regen.

On the other hand, Z1 had so many SP battery squadmates by endgame I didn't need it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

Nasu: Please hurry up and release the Double G Unit 4 (*). Telling you that is the whole reason I came today. (laughs)

:same:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

As someone who got into SRW and mecha thanks to OG1 and OG2 I love the originals.

Setsuko is one of my favorite video game protaganists.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

MightyPretenders posted:

I was sure that the theme of J was Human offshoot/Human aliens/Human faction is space-racist against those who live on earth''s surface - Copy-paste 12 times.

The theme of J was people being forced to battle their friends, family, loved ones, "own kind" etc.

Like, take every plot used and you'll see this connecting thread.

Plot wise they didn't do a great job tying all the series together but the vast majority of the series have this theme.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ibis is like, the best/second best Real Robot pilot in OG2nd do it's your own fault. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

Look at the screencap above—She's my fully upgraded top ace and yet this still happened! How much more Ibis can you ask for?!

You did not believe.

I have no idea how things went wrong for you I found that stage really easy when I played and even got the secret weapon tied to it without even trying.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

I can't believe they literally had a stage of "kill grunts for 4 turns" and nothing else on stage 51.

That's what we call a Breather stage.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I hope it's a Squad System based game. I love Squad SRWs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm bored, so I'm going to be trying trying some casual streaming of

Edit: And of course I get an emergency popping up. Never mind.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 10, 2018

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Stardust Memory takes place post OYW, which would kind of go agains the idea of an SRW with the OG Gundam as a central plot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I am deeply saddened that Ange's Pop Out of the Cockpit to Shoot You Attack is her second weakest.

That should be her finisher.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

Ugh, hearing Main Title being used for the gorillionth time for CCA disappoints me. Seriously Banpresto, what did Beyond the Time do to you to make you so adverse to using it?

They only use it when they're actually doing the plot of CCA. When it's Units only or Post-series it's just Main Title

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

AradoBalanga posted:

That argument might hold water, except D used Beyond the Time, and that was post-series/units only.

Technically no since the game starts with Axis Drop happening, just Amuro failed to prevent it. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They were actually real handy what with having A Ranks in all terrains.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hokuto posted:

By the way, for anybody who thinks "Surely the Alpha writing from that person can't be that bad," here's a sample of his writing from an old discarded SRW F project.

So did he do the translation for SRW3.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tae posted:

OG1 suffers from 90% of the units being some sort of gespent

I'd say this isnt totally a downside.

OG1 is actually pretty interesting in how it's the lowest power SRW ever. You mostly have cobbled together Mass Produced units for much of the game and very few explosive powerhouses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Can't wait to play robots on my Switch.

• Locked thread