Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
If V ends up being the start of a series I want them to add Godzilla Final Wars so we can have the Gotengo as a unit(not to mention it's the easiest Godzilla movie to use in a SRW context)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is Thunderbolt really not going to be in G Gen Genesis? Why not, I wonder?

Sell it as DLC later?

Yup

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

It always seems to be a race to see how quickly in the game they can make Shinji throw away his coward act. I bet in V it's the same stage when he appears, or maybe the next one.

While it will probably never happen, I'd love for them to just throw out 3.33 plot and have Shinji's attempt at rescuing Rei at the end of 2.22 succeed without initiating 3rd Impact or getting halted by Kaoru

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The GIG posted:

I really wish I had the money for this. Hoping this somehow gets brought over or I magically get a payraise so I can import.

Making a Singapore PSN account is really easy(as they use English for all aspects of it), as is getting the needed Singapore money

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

HitTheTargets posted:

I read the OP for the ADTRW Cross Ange thread. It's seems like a fine, sensible show.

To be fair that guy is a cyborg of the "pretty much just a brain in a robot body" variety

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

So my first effort trying to order from PlayAsia to Finland is a hassle (UPS here sucks, turns out). I've decided to just make an HK account instead to save myself the trouble. It seems easy enough to create the account, but do I need a separate memory card as well (separate from the current US based account mem card I have)?

Hard to say, don't have a Vita, doing it on a PS4 is much simpler, also I'd recommend going with a Singapore account instead, should be easier(as it's all in English), also I'd have to double check but I think Singapore PSN funds are cheaper to buy(but that's admittedly here in the US, might be different in Finland)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'm more surprised that Majestic Prince hasn't gotten in yet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Well just bought GGG, partly cause I heard that if you bought it before December 6th you'd get some of the DLC for free, hopefully that applies to the SEA release and not just the JPN version

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Incidentally on Japanese Amazon Prime they just added a shitload of new (old) anime series, including lots of robot anime. GaoGaiGar, Dragonar, Daitarn 3, Escaflowne and a bunch of other super robot shows I don't recognize.

edit: so I gather from all of this that Cross Ange is skeevy as hell? Well...it wouldn't be the first time such an anime entered SRW with all that stuff removed.

You know how Gundam SEED has several scenes that are ludicrously violent for both the art style and age group it was marketed to, well Cross Ange has a fair amount of that too, along with a lot of weird sexual stuff

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nyeehg posted:

Got Z3 part 1 as a late birthday present and am enjoying it so far (only prior experience with the series was MX portable, alpha 1-2 and the OG series. Couple of observations:

-Boss Borot seems suprisingly awesome in this game. Lots of spirits, decent attack and a lot more durable than i've come to expect.
-On a similar note, the Eva's are still ridiculous early on. The AT FIELD is weaker but they seem a lot better at dodging. I'm finding Rei to be the most useful right now since after upgrading her armour she makes a very good support.
-I'm kinda eh on the squad system. I like that it lets you use more units but i hate how long it makes some battles drag out.
-is there a way to keep track of how many destiny points you have earned? Havent seen one so far but i'm guessing I missed it.

At any rate i'm enjoying it so far. My only concern is how long the game seems to be. While i'll probably finish this playthrough the number of route splits is intimidating. Hopefully not a problem provided the last third isn't a slog ala MX portable.

Unrelated question: is Gundam GGG worth getting? If so, any difference between the vita/PS4 versions?

PS4 version is easier to deal with, as making the needed PSN account is simple to do on PS4 and a pain in the rear end on Vita

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Hokuto posted:

I have a question for peeps who bought Moon Dwellers in English - Can you recommend a reliable store that sells codes for Singapore PSN cards?

Play-Asia is pretty reliable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Race Realists posted:

pretty sure you have to have japanese email and a japanese zipcode to create a jp psn account

Only the zip code(which can be anyone, as they only check to see that it's Japanese, not where in Japan it actually is), the email can be an American one(I made mine using a regular Gmail account)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Caphi posted:

I wasn't following Z2R's advertisement, did they actually pretend like Esther was the protagonist? Crowe was established as the Wavering Scales but she could have been something else (in retrospect, the Dreaming Fishes - as a Pisces I'd have appreciated it) and Crowe would have completed his arc as a supporting character, like the Alphas. All his development centered around Esther anyway, even in the Z2R we got.

Speaking of which, remember when I thought Suzune was going to be half of the Twins?

They dropped the ball pretty hard on the whole Zodiac thing they had going on in the Z series

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Neither did Gargantia.

Well at least with Gargantia the robot is a main character

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

I forgot that the Xi Gundam has funnel missiles. That sounds so incredibly wasteful...just like a real military project!

Also, how many times does Anaheim develop a Gundam without the federation or anyone else knowing? In my mind the conversations go like

Federation guy: Anaheim are you developing a secret Gundam right now?
Anaheim guy: no
Federation guy: That's what you said the last five times but you really aren't this time?
Anaheim guy: no
Federation guy: Well okay....I guess we'll get back to oppressing spacenoids now.

If I recall properly Funnels have never been all that expensive to produce(look at Neo Zeon deploying dozens of Quebleys during ZZ), the main thing that kept the Federation from fully embracing Psycommu weapons was that Newtypes are both rare and incredibly unreliable(and Cyber Newtypes are expensive and even more unreliable) which lead to the Federation all but giving up on using them in their military after Hathaway's Flash

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's kinda telling when it comes to Cyber Newtypes that the most stable and competent one we see is Iron Mask, and when you're talking about someone who thought using drones to commit global genocide is a good idea, you know a concept needs to be shelved

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

From what I've seen of peoples thoughts on it, both here and other places, the main three problems seem to be: A poor first half, uncomfortable "fanservice", and Tusk. Did I miss anything?

There's also the really poorly done Uber Violence that is a consistent issue with Hirai shows(if not quite as horrid as SEED's was)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

Ah, so this is the Fister Roboto he mentioned.

Makes me sad that no parts in Gundam Breaker 3 can do a proper Rocket Punch or I'd have made a Fister Roboto by now

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Caphi posted:

You don't have to switch accounts to play them, just buy them. I've played all my digital imports on my main US account. I assume you have to keep the owning account around, but I'm not sure how that works.

This assumes of course that the PS4 you have it on is set to be the primary system for it

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I actually legitimately like the FTB version of Lalah. I never was a fan of the nightgown/hair buns thing, hair down looks so much nicer.

Of course that's glossing over the weird proportions but hey.

Edit: Also I guess I'd be lying if I said I hated the mechanical design. There's some nice ones in there:

Everything pales in comparison to Mr Ball though

:allears:

Well that first image is fanart actually(if really good fanart), but yeah the For The Barrel aesthetic is a really good one(and I agree about Mister Ball being an excellent design)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

If I did custom BGM I'm not sure whether I'd use which the most of; Gorillaz, Dethklok, or David Bowie

All are pretty tempting

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

on the topic of the more visually unique Gundam artists, I really love the works fo Kazuhisa Kondo and Makoto Kobayashi;

Kondo

Kobayashi

and a PC98 game that they both contributed designs to;

http://imgur.com/gallery/LXx8B

would love to see them be the primary mecha designers for a full TV series some day

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Nephrite posted:

For anyone who didn't know, you can Pre Order the English version of V as of right now.

Shame I have no Internet at my house right now or I'd go do it(don't trust doing this sort of thing through a phone browser)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Last night I realized that Tony Takezaki wrote a Eva parody manga so I got it right away.

And it reminds me that I still have no clue how they will implement the movies in their unfinished state, or just say gently caress it and have the Evas along for the ride and nothing else. I hope against hope that there's one stage with the giant red teeth in the ground and stuff though.

Personally I'm hoping they'll have 2.22's ending be subverted and have Shinji successfully rescue Rei without triggering 3rd Impact

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I think how much I would like this would really depend on how its written. If everything plays out the same way it does in 2.22 except 3rd Impact just doesn't happen, that would be pretty disappointing.

True, had some ideas on how to change things around for a hypothetical SRW concept I had a long time ago(back when the SRW E project still seemed possible), Rebuild was a fairly important series overall to my idea, although I ended up cheating a bit by merging in parts of the TV series(such as sticking in the Angels unused in Rebuild), End of Evangelion, and some of the side stories(stuff like the Jet Alone Prime for example), it's been long enough since I last did anything with it that I can't remember too much at this point though, except these two bits; Bardiel instead of infecting Unit 03 tries to take over the Devil Gundam but ends up getting absorbed by it instead(leading to the Devil Gundam developing an S2 Engine), and that a fully awakened ADAM was going to be one of the final bosses

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

The Devil Gundam with an AT Field would be hella cool.

One of the recurring things in that idea was that Devil Gundam would keep taking over more and more ridiculous things over the course of the game, including that huge Zentradi ship from the end of Do You Remember Love? and the corpse of Unicron(the former would be instead of taking over Neo Japan for the G Gundam finale, while the latter would be a ploy by the OG villain towards the end of the game)

G Gundam would in this idea have several interesting connections to other series, the Devil Gundam being derived from the Zonders, and the Mobile Fighters originally being made as anti Invader weapons being two of them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Levantine posted:

So to get the DLC stuff for SRW:V what region account do I need to create? Hong Kong?

Singapore as their PSN is entirely in English

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

I still can't quite believe we're getting a new SRW in English in a few days. When I first got into the series about four or five years ago I just accepted that this wasn't going to be a thing that happens, barring the occasional fan translation.

Should SRWV have its own thread?

Imagine how it feels for someone who's been a fan of the franchise since approximately 2005

And I say keep it here, if mostly because the thread would become pretty dead without the V discussion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

chirico cuvie posted:

I remember hearing rumblings of a localized Alpha on DC back in 2001 or so. Even then, young as I was, I thought it was a ridiculous pipe dream and that I'd never play a (licensed) SRW in English, and yet, here we are.

Apparently that actually got pretty far towards actually happening, got torpedoed by Harmony Gold though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Inferno-sama posted:

Wow, everyone's been playing for so long. I only started playing SRW about 8 years ago, and even then it was really just roms. First one I bought was Z2, if only for Gurren Lagann.

While I became a fan around 2005 or so, didn't actually get a chance to play any of them till around 2008-9(can't remember if it was 3 or Alpha Gaiden though)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

according to the /m/ SRW General the series are divided as such;

New Calendar: Yamato, Crossbone, Main Character

AD: Zambot, Daitarn, SEED Destiny, 00, Might Gain, Nadesico, Cross Ange*

UC: Gundam series (Minus Crossbone), Getter, Mazinger, Full Metal Panic, Evangelion

*technically this makes for 4 worlds since there's also the Dragon Earth from Cross Ange

Male Character initially goes to UC, Female to AD

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I am really glad I preordered now. I'd be annoyed if I couldn't play today

Agreed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

maou shoujo posted:

What's the story reason for the Huckebein and Grungust being in this game? I love the Grungust and expected to never again see it outside of OG. :stare:

In the initial Yamato/Crossbone world they were created as new prototype mobile weapons(since the Gamilas attacks destroyed almost all Mobile Suits besides the Crossbone, F91, and what the Jupiter Empire remnants have)

Also it seems the theory that which world you go to depends on which OG character you pick is a pile of bunk, as I picked Souji and still ended up in the Might Gaine world

Dr Pepper posted:

Z1, the last major SRW to not be a sequel had 20 series. And of those 5 of them (Daitarn, Xabungle, Char's Counterattack, Mazinger Z and Great Mazinger) were unit only. So effectively 15 series.

Part of me still wants to see an SRW game someday that gives all of its series full representation in both units and plot(it still feels like including unit only/post plot series is cheating)

Also while Xabungle is post series, it had enough importance to Z1's overall story that I'd say it counts as a proper series inclusion

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Caphi posted:

Can I also just say how much I love that the Gamilas are like "are we having trouble with humans? Seriously? Their civilization thinks giant robots are a good design for space weaponry."

They put a surprising amount of work into Yamato's integration in the story and setting(especially since in the initial setting Crossbone is the only other show natively around and they bring up fairly often that barely anything is left from that series on a technology aspect due to the Gamilas attacks), makes sense though considering how it's Yamato's debut and how beloved a franchise it is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I've heard that there's a Z-esque split at least in the start that Chitose and Souji each get half the series. Anyone knows which bots go with which MC?

And, FYI, the Full Armor ZZ has been confirmed. There's hope for some Hi-Nu money! :swoon:

I think that first point has been debunked, everyone was saying Chitose as your OG leads to the Might Gaine world, but I ended up there with Souji as my chosen character

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Raxivace posted:

One of the weird things about this game for me is that its the first one I've actually played on a console. Almost every other SRW I've played was on a broken PSP that would shut off if I pressed on the battery too hard and had a broken charging port anyways so I couldn't just plug the thing into the wall.

Also I'm still in early game but coming off of J these stages are delightfully short.

In terms of enemy count I agree, but enemies in V are definitely more damage sponges than in J, which can make some stages tedious after a while(the stage where the Invaders first show up and the one where the OG enemies first appear are especially annoying in that regard)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The whole Dimensions setup in V means it'd be really easy to do a sequel if they wanted to

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

Please tell me the entire game has Shinn not putting up with Cross Ange's crap. :allears:

I saw a screencap which I think is when Shinn first shows up that has him call Arzenal "an island of Terrible Women" or something like that

Personally I plan on heading back to Japan as soon as I can though, because I hate fighting the Dragons, and assuming they don't have any forced deployments for the rest of the game I'm probably going to bench the CA units full time(cause they're pretty drat garbage), except maybe Ange herself(and even that I'm unsure of)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's that second part I wanted to know.

Still though I'm gonna go with "because anime" for the most part.

At least in V "because anime" is a good justification considering CA is sharing a setting with Might Gaine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

I just wish they'd have included the transformations for the Grungust instead of rolling it into an attack but oh well.

That's the case for a lot of units

• Locked thread