Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i have a question

what is this exactly supposed to be

http://www.suparobo.jp/popup/20160803.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Helion posted:

I was a huge fan of the game boy games, so I was incredibly excited to get this. Bought from Play-Asia and even paid the extra shipping to get it here as quickly as possible. This morning it was to be delivered, when I realized I had a doctor's appointment. Thinking fast, I left a note asking for it to be dropped on my doorstep, normal procedure for an indirect signature package.

Within the one hour window between it getting dropped off and me coming home, the package was ripped open and the game stolen. Life sucks sometimes.

Typically you can contact such sellers and tell them your package was stolen, especially since you have evidence of it. Sometimes they will be understanding and reship another one to you, since that's really the most that can be done.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
so

what the heck are the Lamalice anyway

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Rascyc posted:

Wow they made even more R original mechs? What is their obsession there when we already two good ones that I'd love to use again..

Something something the Time Flow Engine is a dangerous plot device that's not actually as dangerous as half the plot devices you're now running around with and at the point where you're dealing with some kind of immortal cosmic god emperor that'll show up next game (possibly even two or three) they're likely just going to bring them back.

i kind of want to see how Lu Cobol having a rivalry with Kaisar Ephes actually and he's doing all that he's doing in some attempt to get rid of the greater evil, like some kind of OG Lord Genome

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 23, 2016

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I'd doubt the Skygraspers are that great in Alpha 3. I remember in J the Sword and Launcher were surprisingly useful (especially the Sword) but there's so many more toys to play with in Alpha 3 that I can't imagine you ever have a pressing need to use the little support jets.

also i'm really appreciating the recent spike in SRW-related high quality rips and you were just discussing Live A Live so this is relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdxMl1Sdrys

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
you know, I think Banpresto should've held off on the Ruina

mostly because I think they work perfectly with the Edax, and K works perfectly with Alpha 3. L probably should've been done in 2nd when 'some guy amassing an army of stuff like Destroy Gundams' would be a little more relevant and the first half of W probably should've been happened in MD.

...i also think it'd be kind of interesting if they did UX for next game, mostly because I want to see how Keisar Ephes and Kali Yuga interact, but Kali Yuga seems more like a thing they'd tie into Supreme God Z, since they basically do the same thing

in addition - whatever the unholy gently caress is going on in NEO (the Sigzarl and Sigzarius are sexy as hell, probably one of my favorite Banpresto designs ever, fff i hope we see those, and the Ionia as well, probably the most out-there battleship in any mecha thing I've ever seen)

also: apparently the Arraunzer that Helluga is using in MD is different from the Arraunzer he's using in GC? like it's called the Floraga or something. but they look completely and utterly identical!

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 19, 2016

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Tribladeofchaos posted:

:swoon: That trailer was amazing! I'm especially glad Puru is playable again too, hopefully we'll get to do ZZ's plot as well. Also I guess I'll end up using Ange if her animations are that cool, Tusk however is never leaving the bench.

i hope tusk isn't even playable

or if he is, relegate him to his dumb hoverbike and forget to program in a love bonus (but don't forget hilda's)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Sordas Volantyr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgjhYxh7I64

Kouji looks wrong with no sideburns.

The music's good, at least.

wait did they actually edit out kouji's sideburns

but

but why

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

whichever game IBO debuts in, they need to bring back Layzner for it.

just make an entire game about Mars

you get current-day relevance in almost assuredly AGE and Aldnoah, you get the obligatory 'who even watched this show' in Mars Daybreak, and if we've been good, maybe not-movie Nadesico

(though I'll forgive V if they did what W did and basically bring in their invented movie-verse Gai and his Aesti, that was in every way one of the coolest things the series has ever done)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Endorph posted:

Honestly, Aldnoah and IBO would be kind of hard to integrate because their roles are pretty much entirely reversed. In Aldnoah Mars is super advanced and powerful and Earth is treated as a massive underdog. In IBO, mars is a massive shithole that's only good for warm bodies and mining.

nah, the thing in Aldnoah is that Mars is a shithole, but they have an ancient plot device that can let them make crazy doom robots, and they're invading Earth so they can finally live somewhere that isn't awful. we don't really get to see enough of what Mars is like but the princess is all 'wouldn't it be nice, if we could live somewhere that has things like enough water to drink and air to breathe', and every shot we do see of the planet is indoors, so they might not have even managed terraforming like in IBO

now, how to reconcile Aldnoah's 'we didn't bring enough water' and Daybreak's 'gently caress we brought way too /much/ water' is another thing entirely

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
honestly with how Yamato is pretty much top billing in this game, and how Cross Ange is kind of right below it, it was pretty obvious in advance that in some way the world was kinda hosed. probs a spoiler for cross ange sorta but i kind of figure most of you don't care...actually, I wonder how they're handling that, fine i'll put it in spoiler tags

the place the dragons come from is basically supposed to be the real world, which got reamed so bad that people had to like evolve into dragons to survive, and the idyllic magic kingdom place is like a dimension layered on top of that by the main villain loving with spacetime. with the game's setup it sort of would make the most sense for the earlier half of the show to be compressed into a few maps early on, and the bulk of the game happens during the handful of episodes Ange hangs around the dragon world, sort of like how they did Megazone in D. probably for the best since the first half sorta drags on too long and the second half is much better, that specific arc of the show was IMO its strongest. maybe what they're doing with all the UC people hanging around from the past ties into that somehow? Embryo's the kind of guy Banpresto would have a field day with his plotting after all, I can't wait for him and Kaworu to be in a room together

the Might Gaine theme is sounding a little weak, but every other song seems pretty good so there's that. really really hoping for You Get To Burning like as hinted on that OST disc they're doing, Yurika being around gives me hope, and also hope that they're basically doing W's PoD

also did that combo between Daitarn and Zambot seem a bit weird to anyone else? it didn't look quite right but i couldn't pin down why, just sorta...stiff and oddly timed overall.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Caphi posted:

I feel like it's the motion. I found it most noticeable when they're doing their weapon combo. Something about the animation direction seems really... punctuated, I guess, like there are short bursts of excessively smooth animation frosted over with camera jumps.

The map sprites look gorgeous, though, especially since we haven't had any full body map sprites since... what, the PS2?

were MX's map things sprites or little 3D models? I'm pretty sure Z's were the latter, believe both Alphas were the former

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Race Realists posted:

that iron cutter

jesus gently caress :stare:

first the photon beam, now the iron cutter

i can't wait for Mazinger Zero's ultimate weapon to be THAT WHICH TURNS ALL TO DUST AND BRINGS THE WRATH OF TIME AND ENTROPY UPON SOULS WHO WOULD THINK THEMSELVES IMMORTAL

REEEEEEITOOOO BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMU

(remember when mazinger had that in alpha gaiden, that ultra weak freezing beam you never used because every super robot in that game had weird weak attacks that were in literally every way inferior to a basic thing that cost no resources, Combattler had an entire drat page of em)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Inferno-sama posted:

From what I've seen of peoples thoughts on it, both here and other places, the main three problems seem to be: A poor first half, uncomfortable "fanservice", and Tusk. Did I miss anything?

that's a good summary yes. tusk is literally useless because Hilda is a much better romantic interest

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hell yeah, the mech design is pretty great.

And if you like mechs with figureheads, you'd like the Woundwort.

one day we will get more of the neat side novel/manga things

one day

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
it seems like the end-game enemy everyone is punching in attack videos is some white AI-controlled Para-Mail that I literally don't remember being in Cross Ange

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I can't decide whether if you dislike the Cross Ange crew early on in the game you'll either enjoy what happens later or see it as only making things worse

For what it's worth though you're clearly hating the right people, since it is true that Vivian and Ersha are actually Good and Cool

also I'm not totally sure whether Hilda being even more of a turbo-bitch at first is for the best, I kinda think she was at the exact right level of being a jerk for how she starts redeeming it later on in the show itself, so her being worse might dampen that a bit unless she really pulls off something spectacular

Anyway, verdict on the originals? I feel like the protagonists have a little more life to them than in a while, but I'm not sure about the villains, they're sorta...there-seeming.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Pureauthor posted:

I gotta say that if you're going to include Cross Ange and Embryo in the game, having literally every playable female in the cast chew him out on being a worthless loser and having Leonard Testarossa call you 'creepy' and, I quote, an 'odious wretch' is probably the correct way to go about it.

hahaha, that's great, I knew in some way this would happen and it's better than I thought

I figured Leonard would just be working with that guy and they'd be a smug duo of intolerable shits so I'm glad the guy at least has standards!

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I'm really sad we didn't get any kind of Final Dynamic Special here, or even any combo to speak of between any of the Mazingers. Maybe if there is a V2, Grendizer Giga could be a thing to facilitate it...

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

HitTheTargets posted:

Giga could be a way to add Cutey Honey to the FDS as well. Remember, Hatsune Miku happened, so anything can happen.

you have to at least be pretending to have the trappings of a giant robot show, Tekkaman Blade and Orgun happened because you could believe they were robots if nobody told you otherwise and they hit the same plot beats, Miku happened because it was Virtual On, Yamato happened because battleships are in goddamn every show and I have no idea why since they never have significant merchandise

people that look wholly human are allowed but not as the main character, more or less. only examples I can even think of as side units are that dude from Linebarrels, I think Renais at one point in W, I think one of those Macross 7 space elf people, Fighter Roar going space-surfing, and...does Muge Zorbados count

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i hope whatever they do, it's something like their portable lineups with their weird-rear end unpredictability

BX was slightly disappointing in that regard, sure, it had things like Galient and Gorg that I'd have thought would never show up but other than that it was mostly familiar faces. do something like K (but better) where I periodically get surprised when i remember they did things like Stargazer and Gun X Sword and Virtual On and Dangaioh, on top of how it was mostly Jeeg, Godannar, Gaiking, Fafner and Zoids

i mean drat if you have Ryvius throw in neat things like Strain and the most misleadingly-and-unfortunately-named Kiddy Grade, weird b-list stuff like that everyone always overlooks. cause i mean, the best part of this whole series to me is introducing me to weird shows i might never have otherwise heard of

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i barely remember any action in Lagrange being underwater, just that sometimes there were some things that were in said water. ofc i think they'd give Voxes high water rankings just because (i mean if nothing else Aura was just sitting underwater for god knows how long and suffered no ill effects), and Madoka, aka some kind of volunteer lifeguard and quite possibly the mecha protagonist who is the best at swimming, would be good at water too

i imagine G-Self's packs will mostly be attacks, yeah, they're by and large gimmick equipment. it'll probably get the Atmospheric pack early on so as to fly, and the Perfect might be its late-game upgrade form or it might just be a finisher. as for Barbatos they'll probably just do most every form since most of them do the same thing but slightly altered, only a few of the early ones have major changes going on. maybe they'll skip one here or there, i dunno. honestly I don't see Reconguista being in one of their high-budget games, it might get a similar treatment to AGE, but IBO's pretty drat popular (though for obvious reasons IBO and AGE go well together)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the only thing i can say as to my enjoyment of Reco is that I personally think a good story makes sure there's a clear primary conflict that anyone can sum up in a sentence or two, and self-evident driving motivations for the main cast from which their character traits link to, and I really couldn't tell you off the top of my head what either of those really were in the show. it's been like a year or two and it's fuzzy but like, if you had to ask me what, at its core, the show was "about" i could only really mutter things like 'pirates' and 'the Space Vatican is run by a jerk' and 'i guess these people aren't very familiar with how to war and a lot of posts are more ceremonial'

it'll be interesting to see how that massive free for all works out in SRW, and who each of these groups throws their lot in with

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Blockhouse posted:

I'm gonna loving end up watching Cross Ange aren't I

really what it comes down to is 'can you handle possibly the cheapest and most poorly executed shock value in anime history at the beginning of this show'

if you're prepared for that then go ahead, i hope it has been made clear by now that while it has some extremely low lows there are also good parts that possibly make up for it depending on what kind of person you are. if nothing else it certainly isn't boring

(see i'm always hesitant to bring this show up because it was like a year-long garbage fire people kept yelling about in ADTRW, and now I am worried that will be this thread too and can only hope heads have cooled about it somewhat)

Gyra_Solune fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 13, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I super want Gargantia in a game that makes more sense, one that dives a little more heavily into the lost technology thing and makes that the focus of its setting.

Like Alpha Gaiden but without everyone from the first few stages, or Z but if Setsuko's half of the cast wasn't around at all

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
probably no indications lately due to them working on a new engine, which takes a lotta time

3DS and Vita are both pretty much dead at this point so if they're making a Nintendo one, they're putting it out for the Switch, and for a Sony release, they probably want to upgrade their somewhat aged Playstation engine that they've used since OG2nd and was held back by needing to be Vita compatible

also, no matter what they're making, it entails more work than usual. if it's a normal game a la V, a lot of the previous games' licenses are a bit stale or out of date and need to be recycled sparingly. people are gonna get wary if yet again a majority of Seed Destiny, Unicorn, Macross Frontier, 00, and Shin Mazinger are like half the game, and the star power of those is starting to wane anyway without obvious hot new poo poo to replace it. what's even been popular after like 2008? the biggest successes I can think of are like, Knights of Sidonia, Majestic Prince, and maybe like Fafner, but it also got a lot of anticipated sequels that bombed, like E7 AO, Macross Delta, and Aquarion Logos. IBO did really well but it only just finished so that one might take a bit.

if it's OG3rd: The Big Final Galactic Showdown Everyone's Been Awaiting For Like Ten Years then they probably have to make some updates and decisions on a cast that is getting a little unwieldy and often running around in HD-remastered PS2 renders/animations, and I'm sure they want to put a fuckton of effort into what they've been building up as a finale for everything

i'm pretty positive that they're about to come out with some insanely cool poo poo though. i mean if nothing else they've gotta have the cash for it, and I thought X-Omega was turning out super profitable for them

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
MD's is basically just OG2nd's right? I mean both games look great but they're still built on a PS3 framework designed to be pushed onto a Vita and that comes with some limitations on how much it's built to handle, they probably want to capitalize on the PS4's abilities. And I thought V just used the very same map rendering but with Z3's battle stuff. They probably want something that looks substantially different from both for a 3rd OGs for sure, but maybe for another entry like V they'd squeeze as much as they can out of what they've got.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I really like the general idea of Sidereal in Z3 though. It almost comes across as like, an actual antagonistic counterpart to your entire team, a collection of disparate individuals from different backgrounds with totally different thematics even down to their grunts. If something like ZEUTH can exist with heroes from all sorts of dimensions coming together, why can't another group just like that come into conflict with them?

but it kinda doesn't have much impact so w/e

also I never know what to think about the Fury, they don't really seem like they fit in very well to me...but then, J never had much series integration to begin with, they didn't really pick shows meant for that. They very much went all-in on a theme of 'heroes who have to fight their own family' that everyone's kind of all over the place in the end and everyone can only resolve conflicts related to their own series. The requisite Combattler and Voltes crew hanging out a lot was the only instance I can really think of where characters had any meaningful interaction with anyone outside their canon.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
OG desperately needs more compelling worldbuilding, I think. The Divine Crusade was the one interesting thing the Earth Sphere had going for it, and it was a generic rehash of Zeon, in recent games it's almost entirely been external antagonists from god-knows-where. And if it's going to keep characters around, it needs to give them something to do and some personal conflict to resolve.

It's not getting rebooted at least /now/, since they basically unsubtly yelled out "we're doing Alpha 3 next", but it could do with something fresh. If they can recapture how compelling Z's world was around they same time as they'd actually be using it in a game, it'd go a long way to having a solid foundation.

(and I feel like they blatantly set up that one Not Shu Shirakawa guy in BX to be important going forward)

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
So you have time travel in your game

and you have Gurren Lagann

are you gonna tell me you absolutely have no way of using Buddy Complex's Supreme Time Fuckery to somehow transition between part 1 and 2 of Gurren Lagann and you'll only be using the latter

all you have to do is have said Time Fuckery engulf the newly founded Kamina City and there you go

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Super Robot Wars X: Keith Courage in Alpha Numbers

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
also

when i saw this

i immediately thought of this

...and Code Geass sure is in the game

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the cross angers really need to be filled to the brim with combo attacks since in the end they're just fancy aestivalises

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Tusk I think is meant to be two things. First is a vehicle to upset the people who think like Embryo in some way by being just about everything they could hate to the point Embryo thinks that Tusk is the one he has to fight and utterly fails to realise Ange's strength (therefore reinforcing the mockery). The second is sort of to show that even out of love you can unwittingly be trying to force someone to be something they're not. He talks about being her "knight" and stuff like that, but really Ange wants to be firmly in control of her own destiny so it never really sits quite right (especially for the viewer), but he cares enough about her that she gets her way in the end.

Cause in the end I think that's what Cross Ange is really all about isn't it? It's about Ange trying to find herself amidst a bunch of systems and people that are trying to reduce her to what they think she should be for their own convenience, and upon learning who she really is (not a nice person) Ange fights to stay true to herself in order to truly live.

this kind of undercuts something i've recently realized, and it's this: despite everything wrong with Cross Ange and its utterly overdoing shock factor to the point where half of the internet pretty much denounced it immediately, and every other totally legitimate criticism about how things went too far

the fact that it has themes like this around Ange and Tusk and interactions that reinforce it actually pretty much pushes it very likely to one the top 10 mecha anime this decade. Not necessarily because that's some great virtue, but like. Uh, we've gotten a ton of stuff just...devoid, of anything, and almost universally the big smash hit sequels turned out to be awful so this has been just, a really rough set of years for robots.

like uh. okay, we seriously need to see if we can come up with more than 9 mecha shows in the 2010s that had a better executed story than Cross Ange. IBO, Kuromukuro, ID-0, Gargantia, maybe Lagrange...already I'm reaching for the much messier ones like Reconguista and Sidonia and I still need two more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Inferno-sama posted:

Gundam Build Fighters. Yeah, I know it's Gunpla and not mecha, but it's still Gundam and a love letter to a mecha franchise, so I think it still counts.

Yeah I guess I'd count that kinda. I dunno, it just registers in my head as 'a sports anime, but with gundam branding' since its themes and pacing and weight are more like that.

• Locked thread