Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

What is Super Robot Wars?
It's a long running tactical RPG series starring anime robots, which has about 40 games in it on almost every platform you can imagine. It's made by Banpresto, a division of Bandai-Namco that does pretty much just this. It's like your thirteen year old self's crazy ramblings about how Mazinger Z and Voltron would totally be awesome fighting evil alongside Gundams and Evangelions and Valkyries and stuff, except it's real and just as awesome as you think.

English?

What does it play like?
A lot like Fire Emblem (the first in both series appeared right around the same time), but with the difference is that each unit is a pilot and a robot each with their own stats, and can be switched around between each other to some extent. The games are linear, but often have branching storylines so you won't see all of the stages on one playthrough.

If there are over 40 games in the franchise how the hell are they organized?
There are three main branches to SRW: main line, Original Generations, and the others. The main line series have all the big name animes and an expansive story that covers four or five games per series. Original Generation has no anime but instead just Banpresto's original characters. The others are a grab bag of one-off games usually on portable consoles and usually of lower quality.

For info about each game, check this wiki in English or this wiki in Japanese

Okay, so which one should I start with?
Good timing! The latest released game, called Super Robot Wars V, is several months old and in English. It’s a one off game in a new world that you won't need to know about the history of the franchise to play. It has a bunch of famous series like Evangelion, ZZ Gundam, Nadesico and Space Battleship Yamato in it.

Soon we will see the release of Super Robot Wars X, which is detailed in the next post.

What else is this thread for?
Other SRW games of course, and also other anime robot games like Gundam Versus, and also SRW-like games like SD Gundam G Generation and Fantasy Maiden Wars for you Touhou fans.

Also Jam Project, the official band of SRW and anime robots in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPMRj0M0cpU

Do I have a steel soul of justice inside me?
If you can appreciate this song then probably!

Hit the gong; it's time to save the galaxy!

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Broken Loose posted:

I was still hoping for "With this crabstick, I will translate Super Robot Wars"
For people like me who didn't get the reference

edit: some conversation about robot animes themselves will also be tolerated.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 5, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1st Stage Midboss posted:

Am I missing an option somewhere, or is there no way to turn off rumble in Moon Dwellers?
I didn't find one either so I turned it off for the PS4 in general. There are so few games where it's used for something meaningful anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Crabstick Ryusei provides literally the most accurate description of the Soulsaber.
It definitely sounds like something my ESL students would write into an essay.

edit: not the first sentence though; I would complement them on that one if they are writing at a level that would generate the last two sentences.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 5, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
By the way did anyone notice that at least in MD, Shine has an attack line like one of the old "I'm gonna do it like Ryusei" lines, except she says "I'm gonna do it like Latooni"? Poor Latooni...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm amazed they got Debudedabide's name correct. I expected them to hilariously butcher it to death.
How else would one spell it? Anyway, I think they got the way he talks pretty down-pat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

DIE GRANTEEEEEED is not in, but in its place we have "Busker Mode".

Granteed kills things via street performances now.

This is the best translation ever.
What was it supposed to be? I never knew.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Watching Eva 1.11 again for the purpose of comparison with Shin Evangelion, I am wondering, outside of Eva and SRWZ2's dimension beasts, are there any other media were rainbows are menacing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I haven't seen all the robot anime ever but is there a banana themed robot more awesome than King Kitan? I hope not.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 7, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gyra_Solune posted:

i have a question

what is this exactly supposed to be

http://www.suparobo.jp/popup/20160803.html
An Umasugi Wave original character called Moimoi I guess.

X Omega sure has turned into a dumping ground for all kinds of weird stuff. I heard Godzilla is going to be in it too.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Captain Rufus posted:

Is the TOTALLY NOT GAY HORSIE MODE COMBO ATTACK still in for this one? It was op as hell in the GBA games and funny as hell. Ok maybe not as rad as SRX and the gun combos but.. the Yaoi baiting made up for it in comedic value.
Man what kind of hosed up world would this be if they had gotten rid of that attack.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

Does Sanger even know how to actually ride? Because Ratsel does since he names his robots after his horse.
I think his ultimate dream was always to become a horse.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Other than for the final stages of the game I just sort by level and grab all the lowest level pilots. It keeps things fresh.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Japanese Gunbuster bluray set finally got cheap enough that I bought it (the cheaper of the two anyway; I still don't understand what's different about the 30k yen one), so I don't have to watch the stupid movie version anymore.

I only watched this anime after finishing Alpha 1, so it makes me wonder, did I come to like the anime so much because it's favored in SRW, or is it favored in SRW for the same reasons that I like it so much?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 9, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Which Super Robot Spirits live album is the best? I have the 1999 and 2003 just because they were what was at the used CD store.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought Gundam EXFB for the hell of it. I haven't owned one of these since Gundam vs. Z-Gundam like ten years ago. There sure are a lot more MSs now. Turn A sure is weird, with double hammers as its main ranged weapons and the beam rifle as a sub weapon. Gyan's shield can release air mines! That's all for now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There were so many loose ends in the original story of the Z series it's nuts. It's like they were planning for like two more games.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

Beach Dwellers is a terrifying thing.
Did it only ever come with the physical version of the game, or if I bought it digitially is there some way to download it that I don't understand? I don't know if I want to though...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

Kin of the Kyocho is a very, very odd way of translating "Heir to the Huckebein".
Kyocho (凶鳥) is what at least Ing calls the Huckbein series.

edit: it refers to a phoenix rising from its own ashes, I guess.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 20, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also gameplay-wise it means Supers won't have equippable weapons since they are completely full of baked in weapon systems.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gyra_Solune posted:

so

what the heck are the Lamalice anyway
Something that should have been a gimmick in like one, maybe two stages tops, but instead were in like fifteen stages straight.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Sakura Wars has robots so I am declaring that it is close enough to SRW to talk about in this thread so uhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxC6wXR9aYQ

The latest game in a series about the glorious Japanese empire...only in Korean. I don't even know what to do with all this irony.

(Android only, of course)

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 23, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of fan games, in the end was there no word from Sanbondo about FMW4 from Comiket? I was just listening to the soundtrack to 3 again for the bazillionth time and thinking about that. Also, I still want to buy the out of print soundtrack to 2...

I lost interest in my Reimu run through the older games. Marisa's side is just more interesting, plus, as others have said, the first game is hard to go back to after the others.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 1, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Seriously, what the hell happened to Bandai Namco to make them change their tune? A decade of "lol gently caress you" turned into "LET'S GIVE THEM EVERY GAME!"
Maybe some intractable bastard somewhere high up in Bamco finally retired or died or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as I know, yeah.

The developers went on record to say that OG MD was full on 3rd OGs and not just another Gaiden, but drat if it doesn't feel like one.
Yeah it's definitely just to fill the gap before the Alpha 3 storyline starts. I don't know why they wouldn't acknowledge that since it's plenty good as it is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Regarding SRW gameplay it commits the cardinal sin of having a million options of how to fight but 99% of the time the difficulty isn't high enough to have any reason to pick one or the other other than that one of them looks cooler than the other. But I am not a priest and this is not confessional and there are giant robots that need wrecking and anime words that need yelling.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

It is also why I like FMW so much.

And for those curious, no, there is still no word as to FMW4's release date. :smith:
Yeah I'm more excited about that than any real SRW game.

Also I can't stop listening to its music like holy poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9mdLsPoZk

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah everything was going relatively ok until 3 when they just decided to throw in all their unused story concepts all at once for some reason.

Except the coming and going of the Insalaum people between Z2-1 and Z2-2, that was really confusing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If only 3 was just about Asakim collecting all the zodiac powers and becoming a mad god, and maybe the shinka stuff too, everything would have been fine.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

Hey, now, let's not go crazy here.
Yeah, nothing else in games including SRWZ ever comes close to the "wait, who am I fighting and why?" feeling of especially the second Xenosaga game.

Edit: despite beginning to descend into chaos, Z2-2 is my favorite of the series.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As a Leo I immediately...chose Setsuko first in 1 since I usually chose reals first anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

The next Gundam Versus is for PlayStation 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5QaPe6YDFo
Are they dropping the EX Plus Alpha parts and getting back to basics on the title?

edit: I suppose more importantly, is the PS4 going to be the primary platform and not arcades? Are arcades finally dead in Japan?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah when I first played Alpha 1 about twelve years ago now (the Dreamcast version...) I only knew Evangelion and Macross Plus. I had seen a lot of anime but not robot anime, for some reason I didn't think of it as my thing. It became my thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Son Ryo posted:

I liked Brain Powerd and Tekkaman Blade quite a bit, it's Macross Frontier and Dancouga Nova I really hated.
I didn't like Frontier either; what are my chances of liking Delta?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

Delta has a great first 13 episodes and then it all goes crashing down.

It's so dramatic a change that there are rumors that the second cour was completely unplanned.
I had to look up "cour" I guess it's a French term used in Japanese TV to refer to half of a season? Weird.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That opening makes me think they're gonna fly some KFC loaded airplanes into important buildings in Tokyo.

Anyway they had great success here, and in China. And the chicken is just better than in the US.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Senerio posted:

Beginner mode gives you a free Grungust, so I picked it for my first runthrough, in case I had someone who needed that.

Turns out I did, because I had nobody to pair Katina with.
Is that the red Grungust 1?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Moon Dwellers soundtrack is out I guess.

Would it kill them to put out a digital version of their soundtracks one of these days?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Verranicus posted:

What is the proper spelling for Satsuko's mech? Nobody can seem to agree. I've heard Balgora, Virgola, Virgora, etc.
I thought it was Virgora but can't say why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I really wanna know how it's changed from the previous information.

• Locked thread