Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

By the way, for anybody who thinks "Surely the Alpha writing from that person can't be that bad," here's a sample of his writing from an old discarded SRW F project.

That reminds me of the first anime fansub I ever watched, Rurouni Kenshin, where they translated basically everything as "gently caress".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
All the robot or psuedo-robot animes ever sure are going into that game that I have no intention of playing again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HitTheTargets posted:

I guess in the MCU even Spider-Man has powered armor.
Toei Spider-Man robot isn't in SRWXΩ is it?

edit: oh yeah, Marveller, that's what it's called.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

OG1 is a very different beast from basically any other SRW. It's the closest SRW has ever gotten to "Fire Emblem with robots" in that instead of a huge pile of flashy but disjoint things where half the fun is seeing how they crash into each other, it's a very coherent, relatively small scale mil-op story about a crew of randos coming together from across the Federation to fight oppressive invading forces, with shadowy assholes of unknown agenda and mysterious power skulking around the wings.

For all the moving parts, the plot is simple: an up-and-coming Federation platoon fights the DC, then the Aerogaters. Weird stuff gets drip-fed in, always contextualized against the baseline - Gespents give way to brightly-colored prototypes, Grungusts and other special mechs are around, and Masaki gets lost his way into the roster. The Schutzwald basically exists to add technological context to the R-2. The first appearance of the Granzon is alarming to every character. Most of the Alpha Numbers have been issued new backstories to fit into the grand unified One Federation setting or fill out the Divine Crusaders.

That's why the Gespensts and Huckebeins are good: not just because they ground the power level, but because they ground the aesthetic.

And then in OG2 it's basically just "Advance and Compact are happening at the same time and RyuKoOh is there," and by MD stuff is just driving through with the only explanation being "there are more aliens, and it's Shu's fault somehow."
Yeah, I agree that OG1 was pretty special and grounded compared to almost any other. I wish OG could be like that again somehow.

edit: in general I think the turning point in SRW game series is when basically every unit becomes a flying unit. I always like it better before then.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

I'll take every unit flying because I don't like my favorite/most usable guys being neutered when the inevitable water stage comes around (and there are never enough adapters to go around).
It's not specifically that they're all flying; I mean in the symbolic sense that they've all gone through their mid-season upgrades, which more often than not grants flying ability, and there's not much further to go for meaningful unit development. But there's still like three more games to go in the series.

SRW is losing a lot of its luster for me. This year I went for months straight a few times not thinking about it at all. I sure hope whatever they announce next month, if anything, turns things around.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Please don't be just another V/X but with a different storyline...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

What exactly does this mean? Don't have the gameplay of V/X? Don't have the cast list of V/X? I'm always prepared to be pleasantly surprised but at this point a new story is all I look forward to in SRW. (If we're lucky, it'll have the same translators, too!)
You don't feel like V and X are way more similar to each other in gameplay and writing and audio-visual compared to other adjacent SRW games? I sure do.

Also don't want another game that has to compromise with the Vita.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Unless they're gonna do something really different and surprising, OG of Alpha 3 is what I want the most.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hunter Noventa posted:

I remember in the past there being some interview snippet where they said the Z originals wouldn't be coming to the current OG setting. Frankly I wouldn't mind if they cut off the current OG world after Alpha 3/W and start up again with something wildly different as far an OG series, even if they use the OCs from later games.
Yeah, that's 100% what I want. A clean break and a new OG series centered around Z. Maybe a few fan favorite units from the old OG can appear as guests.

Pretty much every variation of the name OG is already taken though so maybe call it something else.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You mean Shin SRW?

Seriously though, maybe Original and then some other word, like Venerations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
For me, more so than any cast issue or anything, it's about making the beginning and ends of SRW games fun at all. The first 15 stages and the last 5 or so are always a drag. I'm in the end of X and feeling it again. I assume the final boss will be somewhat interesting like it was in V, but trudging through all the anime series resolutions back to back is rarely much fun.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just remembered that I have to go work-drinking tonight so I can't watch it live. Stupid Japanese work culture getting in the way of my Japanese anime robot culture!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Willo567 posted:

gently caress OFF WITH THIS SERIES ALREADY
It's the only series where I support the idea of all the minor pilots being combined into one with just fake team up attacks sometimes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The boss is sick so no work-drinking tonight after all. Now I can be free to do what I really want to do: watch a video announcing an upcoming game that I will probably be buying no matter how it is.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

cross ange should be in every game

Also, where will the stream be when it goes up?

https://namasupa.suparobo.jp/

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh snap! To almost everything!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The new producer guy just said there will be an Asian version too, I guess that means English?

G Gundam and Gunbuster together I am plenty happy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Light Gun Man posted:

mobile game called DD?

Yeah. I wonder if it will be any good?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In DD the gacha element is new cut-ins. That's...diabolical.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
There's still 50 minutes left in this thing and they've already talked about T, DD and X-Omega. What's left?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ethiser posted:

Big OG reveal.
That's what I'm hoping for but they're talking about plastic models now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The DD robot design proportions remind me of Alpha and that makes me want to give it a try, though I am pretty sure it will be a subpar SRW game overall.

edit: do any of the major enemies in Cowboy Bebop even have vehicles? I don't remember.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 19, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr Pepper posted:

Can't wait to play robots on my Switch.
Yeah I'm getting the Switch version; it doesn't look like the game will benefit any from the PS4's higher power, but it would definitely benefit from being portable and also the Switch's basic system stuff like game saving not being coated in stupid like the PS4's.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reiska posted:

I'm pretty sure those are, in fact, the (most recent) official romanizations - the various official releases themselves have been inconsistent over the years.
It's not like China where there's one state supported romanization system but there are a few similar but different standards used in different aspects of Japanese life...but there are also just mistakes and also SRW's official stuff is just deliberately crazy.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Endorph posted:

Daitarn had a tiny bit of plot involvement in those games, so fair enough on that front.
I've forgotten almost all of Daitarn's story it's been basically unit-only for so long in SRW.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tribladeofchaos posted:

Oh boy a Gespenst :geno:
What if it has the Kick?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if Gunbuster will be post series again? I'd like to see those RX units again someday...and training montages!

edit: and I don't immediately recognize the art style of her character portrait. I have some feeling I've seen it before somewhere...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 21, 2018

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hunter Noventa posted:

Too bad no one outside of Japan can actually, you know, PLAY the mobile games. Like, I might actually play DD if it were something I could get without compromising my phone in some manner. And in English.
I'm pretty sure they announced DD would be in Singapore and such.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hellioning posted:

Is there a link for this? I can't find anything about it.
I've been searching too and now I'm wondering if I imagined that they said this as well would be in a few other countries. T definitely will; they said that immediately.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder if SRW will ever go to having just one kind of save game? for the entire history of the series, every time I have started up the game I've briefly wondered whether to push "load" or "continue". for recent games it automatically puts the cursor over the last type of save you made, but still...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

If mid-battle saves overwrote intermission saves, it would be Bad. The moment you make a mistake and quick-save before realizing it, your full skill point run is toast.
So just have a save screen with save slots inside of battle same as at the intermission. And give the option to see the game end skits either place. SRW has become so calcified about stuff like that it's hard to even imagine these simple improvements.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They could also make the scenario chart meaningful by letting you just click on any of the stages and let you play it again for the skill point, or just to let you experience it again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'd like to hand off responsibility for this thread to someone else. there's clearly a lot more knowledge than I have about robot anime in this thread than mine and I'm just not the dedicated poster I used to be.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks a lot for making that. I'm glad someone more familiar with the English language world of SRW can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Thanks for the new thread.

So long, Space Keith Courage.

• Locked thread