Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yess! Finally!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah like a max upgraded Daiyousei.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Kingtheninja posted:

Are they usually original stories using existing franchises? Or do you play through stages from the different shows?
Stages from different shows for the most part, but with twists. They only have the absolute bare minimum of storytelling though. It's like Disgaea in the sense that there's a meta level of gameplay above the story, but with even less exposition.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, me neither.

Are those actual 3D graphics or still somehow pre-rendered sprites?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, apart from the FMW2 soundtrack being released online (yay!) there's a new patch which claims to adjust some character's abilities to be like in 3. Which ones, I wonder?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also do they mean Windows 7 and up or literally just Windows 7?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Unless something has changed I don't think the Switch is meant to replace the 3DS.

Honestly it looks like it's gonna bomb like hell to me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KoB posted:

Would be weird to have two portable systems on the market, effectively competing with yourself.
I don't think they are selling this one as a portable console first. For one thing they said they won't be selling it without the base unit and all the 3072 fiddly little parts it looks like it comes with.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Pokemon isn't developed by Nintendo though...?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

GilliamYaeger posted:

This. They did the exact same thing with the DS, claiming it wasn't a successor to the GBA.
Oh, I didn't know that. If they really are going down to just one hardware platform then I'm all for it, because that means it's one step closer to going down to zero.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

Living in japan has screwed up your perception of consoles.
Nah I've hated Nintendo hardware since the N64.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I understand that competition is important I just want it to not be Nintendo for the personal reason of hating all their gimmicks, that's all.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The animations look about on the level of Z so I really want to know more system stuff. That one completely new real robot anime, does it have a number of pilots that will suggest how big platoons will be or anything?

edit: I wonder if the Huckbein will have its black hole engine collapse problems.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Oct 31, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm happy to see that glorious bastard Yazan back. May he never die again.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

HitTheTargets posted:

I just rewatched it and noticed Seabook sporting his post-Crossbone scar in the F91. Here's hoping he outright replaces the crap guy in the blue F91.
Also his name is displayed as Kinkaid.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Daler Mehndi posted:

Which version of Great Mazinger is in the preview?
Something new: Mazin Emperor.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately it's less true in J because it has a hosed-up targeting mechanic where if you're too good at dodging enemies won't even attack you which actually fucks up a lot of units.
Huh, I didn't know that about J. So you can't park a low hp but unhittably fast unit near the enemies and watch them all pointlessly attack it forever? Do any other games work like that?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Caphi posted:

Hope they don't use the Z3 system then. Personally, I'd like them to use something like the Z system. Most of the formations are already V-shaped! You could replace Tri Formation with a spearhead formation where the leader is at the front and recast Center as a defensive formation.
I asked before, but how many main characters does that Crossange or whatever show have? It could be a hint to platoon size.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The local Sofmap made a good choice for a video demo for their monitors.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Confession time: I just now beat MD after a few tries at the final stage spread over months. The final stage was annoying even by SRW standards and the epilogue didn't seem like it would be so thrilling. Turns out it wasn't. Anyway, that's over with and now I'm ready for G-Gen in ten days. I've still never beaten one of those though...

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 13, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

I beat MD, like, three weeks ago. And I'll agree that the finale was irksome, what with you needing to trickle down those big Lamaris... but I wasn't all too bothered because of how much the XO finale traumatized me.

Not since the Dark Brain mission did SRW manage to actively aggravate me like that. And at least in the Dark Brain mission our guys had SP Regen so we could be more liberal with SP! :tizzy:
I didn't even attack half of the Lamaris though. In fact, if you leave any of them alive the boss won't use its map attack and that's the only way I could play without throwing my PS4 out the loving window.

I also did not like having to pause attacking and wait out Faith three times .

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, yeah, I did leave some of the little guys to stop that. But don't you at least need to take out the big guys for the plot to kick in and the boss to show up? I thought you did.

And I guess you didn't see that the game gave you a Mind Blast equipable weapon at some point? :v:

Stick it on someone with Fury like Leona and she can dispel spirit commands - you can end the fight in one round with liberal usage of that and Enable.
If you don't destroy them in 8 turns Dabide starts the ritual anyway. I decided to take my whole army around one side of the gate so I never got to the three on the other side.

Yeah, didn't think of Mind Blast, but had Leona do Armor Break.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it's weird how the The Guests were the least threatening villains in OG2nd, but had the best music theme.
Yeah, whenever I fight them I feel like I'm being threatened by the Crimson Permanent Assurance but drat if their music isn't exciting.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 14, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm watching F91 right now and thinking, the Mother Vanguard is going to be in V right? Or does it get destroyed in the era following Crossbone or anything stupid like that? I loving love that thing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

The Mother Vanguard is destroyed during the events of Crossbone because it's a giant continuity error. It's probably for the best because it even existing is almost as dumb as the Vagans in Gundam AGE being able to move their home the entire time.

But it should definitely be around during the events of V.
I never experienced Crossbone outside of Alpha 2 and that was a long time ago (and due to advice from everyone I never watched Age) so can you explain the continuity error? Also does the Crossbone stuff in V take place before the main story or something?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah I thought from the White Base on every ship that could operate in an atmosphere could do that. How else could it hover like that?

Also when is Stardust Memory going to be back in SRW? The story is nothing special to me but I always liked the characters and mechanical designs among the best of UC.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Nov 15, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What role that that Minovsky Drive or whatever have in Alpha 2? I didn't think the Mother Vanguard had any fancy technology other than that big shield ram thing.

I mean, they went back and forth between Jupiter like it was nothing but they always find a way to do stuff like that in SRW.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pretty much everything the Deep Striker has is powered by its reactor alone. Its reactor which outputs about 11x more power than the RX-78's and over 2x more power than the Ex-S's. They literally crammed a battleship reactor, main gun, and i-field into the thing, then strapped enough boosters to it to move it at ludicrous speed and then enough fuel to it to keep it working for weeks.

It's beautiful. :unsmith:
So the same school of thought as the Neue Ziel and stuff, "how many beam cannons and vernier thrusters can we fit on this thing? Then double that"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I think Z3 and especially Z3-2 has a shitload of good original music.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I have been taking screenshots of early Z3-1 for the hell of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I made Rei the squad leader of some leftover Crossbone units.

edit: despite having made this thread I am not the one to ask for SRW tactical advice.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 17, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Watching Stardust Memory and War in the Pocket again makes me think Chris and Kou should be best pals. Best...complete obliviousness to the awful war crimes their base is involved in pals.

What the hell, those two.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Onmi posted:

The Antarctic Treaty was repealed by the Granada Accords, which did NOT limit the use of Nuclear Weapons. Kou's base is not involved in any War Crimes, beyond the perceived crimes of Delaz who like every jumped up Zeon twit thinks the war never ended. I mean, ignoring that there's nothing at all against the Antarctic Treaty about making a suit capable of firing a nuke.
Huh I didn't know that, I thought nukes were prohibited by treaty all the way through CCA.

Either way he was the only one who was like "Whoa that's where you load the NUCLEAR WARHEADS right? Awesome!" which is pretty weird to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 18, 2016

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Prism posted:

And indeed there's a GP-02 variant loadout when they don't want to use a nuke that uses a giant beam bazooka (it's modified from the Squire weapon platforms, which you might remember being used in Unicorn as makeshift turrets by Geara Zulus but were originally designed for Zakus in the OYW). That loadout is absolutely 100% not violating anything.
Another thing I was never clear on, was that attack that GP02 used that wiped out the fleet the nuke, or that beam bazooka thing?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

It was a nuke, they just animated it as a beam for reasons.
Yeah, that's what I thought. In a practical sense I wondered if they had figured out a way to detonate the nuke in the barrel and have the explosion all forced out one end and in a way that didn't destroy the GP02 and was like holy poo poo Federation technology is amazing, with inertial dampeners and stuff.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is Thunderbolt really not going to be in G Gen Genesis? Why not, I wonder?

Sell it as DLC later?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'll buy it if it has the music.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It always seems to be a race to see how quickly in the game they can make Shinji throw away his coward act. I bet in V it's the same stage when he appears, or maybe the next one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't see how Shinji's character can ever work as intended in a SRW context. Either the good guys do their good guy thing and let him in the club, or they aren't good guys and there's no feeling of heroics to the game.

I guess the other way would be to have him be a guest-only character who only occasionally gets to fight with the heroes and never really bonds with them. I'm sure fans wouldn't like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Hokuto posted:

I'd kind of like to see them treat the third movie as a thing in a future SRW game, where people treat Shinji the same way they did in the movie, for the same reasons. IE, this guy triggered Third Impact and now he's awake again, holy poo poo guys we really can't afford to trigger this kid by telling him what he did, but we also can't do anything to stimulate him otherwise. Conclusion: Nobody talk to the kid and shun him at every turn, until somebody like Shinn speaks up and goes "But that's stupid!" But I guess for that, the fourth movie would have to exist first, so that the third move can have a real endgame to speak of.
Having been very pleased with Shin Godzilla I at least think they put off the 4th Eva movie for a good reason.

• Locked thread