Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

That's the design from SRW Alpha, as you can see in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKV09ntGCdc at about 25 secs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

GilliamYaeger posted:

So I've just finished playing through the 4 stage demo patch for A Portable, and drat this game is a lot more enjoyable in English, and I like what they did with Lamia's 'accent'. I'm really looking forward to the full release, which should hopefully be in the next year or so considering they've translated 41% of the game (though sadly it's unlikely we'll get a new demo patch that continues beyond the game's intro)

Thanks, I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. I see you also liked that version of Lamia's accent; to tell you the truth, after that one I tried multiple different styles, and I haven't really quite grasped the best way to convey her speech quirk. Speaking of which, how does Moon Dweller deal with it?
By the way, as a progress report, the first 12 (of 39) missions of the game (including splits) are complete, currently working on 13.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Daler Mehndi posted:

Did I miss the discussion for the demo of a SRW AP English patch? It translates the first 4 missions of the game, on all routes. This includes menus, battle quotes, as well as character bios and mecha descriptions (that can be unlocked so far). I thought it was rather polished for a mere demo.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19055.0

I mentioned it in the previous topic (Hi, I'm the translator for AP). Thank you, it's always nice to see people appreciate what we're doing. As a progress report, I recently finished translating mission 13 (by which I mean that both routes in the 9-12 split are translated). If you have any particular feedback let me know!

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

if it's anything like in SRW AP, they just translated the first name and last name separately, and currently they are probably unable to make hard changes to the interface (like swapping the order of first name and last name).

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAjJDagCEI&t=178s English version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNE8UP44mo&t=664s Japanese version

They may not be the best arrangements ever, but to me the removal of "Meikyoshisui" makes a very big difference.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Hokuto posted:

I should point out my favorite example of this. Schwarvenegger has a line in his battle dialogue that says: 「面白い奴だな!気に入った!」 This is literally "You're a funny guy! I like you!", as phrased in the Japanese dub of Commando. There's no way this was unintentional.

It's also worth noting that Ryuzaburo Otomo, who voiced him in this game, was also the Japanese dub voice of Schwarzenegger on The Terminator (1984).

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

a Japanese wiki says it's both Shibaraku and Genryusai that need to fight Shogun Mifune for the factory scenario.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

I figured I should post this here as well:

https://twitter.com/TheMajinZenki/status/1009046242935083008

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Hokuto posted:

I believe they recast Duke Freed in Super Robot Wars Z1 after using the original VA for previous games like Impact.

more precisely, Duke was voiced by Kenyu Horiuchi (Irm's VA) in Complete Box, and Koichi Yamadera took over from Impact onward.
Grendizer may have absent from F because Tomiyama died around the production of SRW 4S, in fact if I'm reading this correctly Duke was one of the few main characters who had no voice acting at all in that game (the other being Zambot's Kappei; only main characters had voice acting in 4S, from what I'm reading).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

Endorph posted:

Mazinger Z and Getter Robo had plots, in a sense. They were mostly monster of the week stories, but you got some two parters, the status quo changed a bit, characters died or betrayed each other or villains got killed off. Mostly just to keep the monster of the week stuff from getting too stale, but still, if you were bored you could probably edit Mazinger Z into a show that felt like it had an actual forward narrative.

Trider G7 literally doesn't have a plot. Or, well, a plot in the super robot sense. Trider G7's much more a predecessor to stuff like ojamajo doremi than any super robot show, or a successor to mildly high-premise rural town comedies like Akko-chan and Osomatsu-san. It's a show where the focus is on the town where the main character lives, the people in it, building a supporting cast and having them interact with each other and with the main characters. The last episode doesn't even have a single fight in it, and the plot ends when the evil machine empire just goes 'man, why do we keep invading the earth' and goes home. Watta never even meets any of the villains outside of one defector who exists just to explain where the Trider even came from. Heck, the problems of the week usually barely relate to the giant robot or the machine empire.

Imagine a sitcom where all the characters work at a restaurant, and the opening episode is all about how they work at a restaurant, but the fact that they all work at a restaurant is mostly just used as a punchline or as an excuse for all of them to be at the same place from that point on. Trider's like that, but with a giant robot. Adapting Trider G7's 'plot' would involve multiple stages where Ryoma has to tell seven year olds why stealing is wrong, or everyone standing around awkwardly while Watta gets told what a miscarriage is.

I disagree that Trider has no plot, but I will admit it's definitely not standard. I'll try to summarize it a bit: basically the show can be split into two plots, Plot A and Plot B.

Plot A focuses on the enemy side, which are shown directly for only about 20% of the episodes (usually at the beginning and towards the end), and it's the only segment with a contiguous plot: they're focusing on conquering planet Earth and the resources from the nearby planets (the Moon and Mars), and they're actually competent enough to send the Earth in multiple economical, resource and energy crisis throughout the show (in one episode nobody can have a side of veggies on their dishes because they wrecked most of the farms on either the moon or Mars). There is a new commander about every five or six episode, after which they're either executed for their incompetence, or face Trider directly on a Mecha Robot and die in battle. The commander of the invasion, Ondoron, works for Xaclon, the admiral of the invasion, who he himself works for the Emperor of the Machine Empire.
In the final episodes, Xaclon orders Ondoron to lead the battle himself instead of blaming his subordinates. Ondoron fails even with his ultimatum, blaming a super computer called Sigma, who is said to be infallible as it was made by the greatest scientists of the empire. Xaclon decides that Ondoron is as incompetent as his subordinates, and decides to have a showdown with this "Earth Robot" himself. Even Xaclon loses, however, and Ondoron taunts him, saying that Sigma wasn't so infallible, and tries to kill Xaclon; however, Xaclon is of a different make from any other Machine officer (who pretty much look like humans, but they're actually robots), and kills him in retaliation.
In the end, Xaclon retreats all the army from the Earth sphere and reports back to the Machine Emperor, claiming that the Earth is a waste of time, effort and resources, as conquering it would require a long process of reforming the planet and enslaving its inhabitants before they would even begin to recover from the investment, so he suggests abandoning it and moving on to a different system. Xaclon, who is extremely loyal to the Emperor, mutters to himself that he cannot let the Emperor know the truth of this planet, because his own loss would prove that Sigma, the great and infallible mother computer, is not as infallible. Their subjects would lose faith in their Emperor, and it would be the beginning of what would be the end of the Machine Empire. "I cannot let him know of this planet. Never.", these are Xaclon's last words.

Then there's Plot B, which is a slice of life show of Watta as he lives his life between school and his business, the Takeo General Company. The episodes focuses on him for the longest, and each episode is just another day in his life. The typical episode has him go to school and get into some shenanigans with his friends, then the director gets a call for a job (usually from business in space being under the threat of a Mecha Robot) and Watta has to begrudgingly stop playing to get to work (they get paid for those jobs, but between repairs and refueling his company is almost always in the red). As mentioned, in the end the Mecha Robots simply stop coming so the last episode is his graduation from elementary school, interrupted as he gets another job (which is transporting goods, Trider's actual function when not fighting Mecha Robots).

It's worth noting that the Machine Empire never realizes who is Trider's pilot, and they just call it the "Earth Robot" until the end; in fact, I think they're convinced until the very end that Trider has no pilot, but it's just a Mecha Robot more advanced than theirs.
Also, nobody on Earth knows of the Machine Empire. They never communicate at any point, they just send Mecha Robots, and the few times a general is in it they never trash-talk the opponent. Until the end, they were just a mysterious enemy that came from nowhere and then stopped coming.
The good guys don't even know exactly the story of Trider, which is explained in one episode (but it's from the Plot A, the enemy side): long story short, one of the scientists from the Machine Empire wanted to make a better robot, but he couldn't do it working with them, so he runs away faking his death. He's found by Watta's father, they become close friends and at one point he develops Trider, before disappearing once again. Watta's father dies before the series start, so he never can explain the history of Trider to anyone in the company.

At any rate, as you can see, Trider does have a story, but the plot is only focused on the enemy side, which is why Watta himself doesn't have that much plot going on for him.

• Locked thread