Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Also I think failed death star trench runs have a different video from successful ones? There's a weird attention to detail in this game. I guess it was made in that early period of CD-ROMS where they went "700MB, we can put everything in there!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah. That is always something that makes me go "Huh" when it happens. Did you know death star sabatoge missions have their own videos both for success and failures?

alright that's pretty neat, i knew there was a sabotage success video but not a failure video

double nine posted:

Also I think failed death star trench runs have a different video from successful ones? There's a weird attention to detail in this game. I guess it was made in that early period of CD-ROMS where they went "700MB, we can put everything in there!!"

it does, i remember watching it play out with my entire body flexed when it first triggered when i was a wee lad

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

double nine posted:

In the real early days of cd roms, devs went, "700 MB! Do you know what this means? We can fit our 35 MB game AND the 60 MB speech pack!"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

In the real early days of cd roms, devs went, "700 MB! Do you know what this means? We can fit our 35 MB game AND the 60 MB speech pack!"

ah yes, the System Shock treatment.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

double nine posted:

ah yes, the System Shock treatment.

Or TIE Fighter.

Wasn't Drayson the one Lando saved when Thrawn was using his new mole miner cloaking devices to engage in Space piracy?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Or the HOMM2 treatment: 35 megs of game and 665 MEGS OF CD QUALITY AUDIO BABY :unsmigghh:

this game did get it right by just shrugging and going with Star Wars music. Pretty abrupt cuts between tracks, though, especially where the Imperial March was concerned.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Veloxyll posted:

Or TIE Fighter.

Wasn't Drayson the one Lando saved when Thrawn was using his new mole miner cloaking devices to engage in Space piracy?

I believe that was Afyon.

Man, I am totally gonna binge read all the thrawn books next week again.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

bunnyofdoom posted:

I believe that was Afyon.

Man, I am totally gonna binge read all the thrawn books next week again.

Well, I just finished dark force rising on audio, and they're still pretty great.

Afyon was the one that Wedge was attached to at Sluis Van, where the mole miners were being used in space piracy, yeah. Lando saved the fleet so yeah I guess he saved Afyon too.

Drayson was the one who was in charge at Coruscant during the "asteroids comin!" part of the third book that I haven't gotten to yet. With such memorable descriptions as "Drayson?? Why's he in charge? He doesn't have the tactical ability for this. Why isn't Garm up there?"

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Drayson was later in charge of New Republic Intelligence - I think in the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

wedgekree posted:

Drayson was later in charge of New Republic Intelligence - I think in the Rogue and Wraith Squadron books.

I thought that was Cracken?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

I thought that was Cracken?

Yeah that was Airen Cracken. Pash joined Rogue for a while but then left cause he found his inner mojo or whatever.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hiram_Drayson

I think the guys were right with the him being sent to collect the Katana Fleet and his kid did join Wraith Squadron. Essentially his role in the Rebel Alliance seems to be the third string backup fleet commander.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 23, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Weird. I just listened to that part of the books, and his name wasn't mentioned as far as I can tell.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I should read those books again clearly.

The only good EU books ever written.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Veloxyll posted:

I should read those books again clearly.

The only good EU books ever written.

Assuming you're including Wraith Squadron in your list, yes.

Wraith Squadron trilogy
Starfighters of Adumar
Thrawn trilogy

That's p much it.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Also the Wraith Squadron swan song book that came out in like 2012, that one is also fun. Mercy Kill, I think?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

biosterous posted:

Also the Wraith Squadron swan song book that came out in like 2012, that one is also fun. Mercy Kill, I think?

It's...man, it's kinda rough. I like the caper, the action...but the flashbacks, the weird three team thing...I dunno. I had problems enjoying it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, ws Airen Cracken, I got mixed up.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

was wraith squadron the one that expanded on zsinj?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

hard counter posted:

was wraith squadron the one that expanded on zsinj?

Yeah it did, they were pretty great at that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yup! It basically expanded the question of "what the hell was Han doing while Leia was off doing Hapan crap" I think. It ends basically as The Courtship of Princess Leia starts, which by the way is an insanely horrid book holy gently caress.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

silvergoose posted:

, which by the way is an insanely horrid book holy gently caress.

Really with a few exceptions that's a pretty evergreen description of the EU.

Zahn, Wraith, some of rogue. Vs the entire Yevetha saga, Yuuzhon Vong, a slew of crappy one-offs...not a good ratio.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 24, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

OAquinas posted:

The Wraith Squadron books are good. Rogue Squadron and I, Jedi can be tolerable to good depending on your tolerance for Corran Horn.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Yeah but the entire premise of Courtship is Han kidnaps Leia and forces her to go to a world full of dark force witches to try to woo her. I'll take "a hutt builds a mini death star which falls apart instead of working" or "teenagers with the force are still teenagers" or even "weird intergalactic plant aliens kill chewie" over that.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

silvergoose posted:

Yeah but the entire premise of Courtship is Han kidnaps Leia and forces her to go to a world full of dark force witches to try to woo her. I'll take "a hutt builds a mini death star which falls apart instead of working" or "teenagers with the force are still teenagers" or even "weird intergalactic plant aliens kill chewie" over that.

Well, yeah, if you're going to start to grade the crap and savor its nuances (or lack thereof) then you'll get an interesting spatter pattern.

For most people "These books are terrible and you'll want your hour(s) back" should suffice. Think I've beaten this horse into a drum well enough now though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Well, yeah, if you're going to start to grade the crap and savor its nuances (or lack thereof) then you'll get an interesting pastiche.

For most people though "These books are terrible and you'll want your hour(s) back" should suffice. Think I've beaten this horse into a drum well enough now though.

Yeah but we're in the SW Rebellion thread, we're all about hating on the EU and gabbing about random minor generals and admirals and stuff. :3:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Yeah but we're in the SW Rebellion thread, we're all about hating on the EU and gabbing about random minor generals and admirals and stuff. :3:

Keep this up, and I'll start posting excerpts of the Crystal Star in the updates!

(Not really. Even I am not that big of a prick)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

silvergoose posted:

The Courtship of Princess Leia starts, which by the way is an insanely horrid book holy gently caress.

This is why I was skeptical of Zsinj. He was introduced as that awful book's one-use throwaway villain: an overweight, pompous, absent-minded and downright goofy man with a handlebar mustache whose unceremoniously killed in the book he's introduced while stuttering to find the perfect insult across a dozen languages. That's fine, not all antagonists need to be super spooky and comedy villains do work in the right context but then, out-of-sync with the rest of the characterization, someone credible in the courtship of princess leia described him as 'the most dangerous single man in the galaxy, his personal demesne covers a third of known space and both the alliance and imperial remnant actively fear him.'

:what:

hard counter fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 24, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

Keep this up, and I'll start posting excerpts of the Crystal Star in the updates!

You may notice that I did *not* include a brief summary of that book in my "I'd take this over Courtship" sentence. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hard counter posted:

This is why I was skeptical of Zsinj. He was introduced as that awful book's one-use throwaway villain: an overweight, pompous, absent-minded and downright goofy man with a handlebar mustache whose unceremoniously killed the book he's introduced while stuttering to find the perfect insult across a dozen languages. That's fine, not all antagonists need to be super spooky and comedy villains do work in the right context but then, out-of-sync with the rest of the characterization, someone credible in the courtship of princess leia described him as 'the most dangerous single man in the galaxy, his personal demesne covers a third of known space and both the alliance and imperial remnant actively fear him.'

:what:

And fortunately, Wraith Squadron revises him to just be a highly competent leader, just also a ham who puts on an act because it amuses him.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

And fortunately, Wraith Squadron revises him to just be a highly competent leader, just also a ham who puts on an act because it amuses him.

And it makes his opponents under-estimate him.

Melvar too. Goes from generic badguy with metal press on fingertip claws, to the actual serious snarky commander under Zsinj.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Back when I was ten or so, and had no sense of quality, and loved all Star Wars books, even then I could still tell that Crystal Star was terribad.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Use Black Fleet Crisis instead?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

biosterous posted:

Back when I was ten or so, and had no sense of quality, and loved all Star Wars books, even then I could still tell that Crystal Star was terribad.
I remember being genuinely confused about how it was possible to be reading a Star Wars book and not enjoy it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Calax posted:

Use Black Fleet Crisis instead?

You rear end in a top hat,.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Starfighters of Adumar is the single redeeming feature of the EU, everything else was utter garbage.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Sonderval posted:

Starfighters of Adumar is the single redeeming feature of the EU, everything else was utter garbage.

Wedge and the gang is basically the best.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
RIP Aaron Allston, may your wacky X-Wing adventures serve you well in the next life.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Everything is downhill after the han solo adventures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Splinter rhe minds eye. Incest undertones and all

• Locked thread