Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
like can it actually support itself without collapsing once sponsors withdraw their support or people just switch to the newest game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

no its not ask again next year and don't post until then

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

could you not have asked this question in countless of other threads instead of posting this insipid bullshit

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
e sports can chug a meaty and stout cock

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im sorry for taking my anger out on you im just having a really bad night you see my favorite thread got moved to what is basically a desert island without the hot bikini babes

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJfLKtGlfw

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Celluloid Sam posted:

could you not have asked this question in countless of other threads instead of posting this insipid bullshit

Look at this tough guy bullying people. Well guess what bitch, your rear end is mine now you little fucker.

I'm gonna punch you in the chest until you choke.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

esports is never gonna be a real thing its just gay poo poo devs push now so people can justify spending 2000 hours playing a game cause they might go pro one day

its a way to make ppl spend more time in a game so they buy microtransaction poo poo

imo esports was way better back when it was 20 drug addicts playing cs1.6 in a depressing convention center

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Wait poo poo I didn't see your reply. Hmm. Feel kinda bad now.

Maybe next time, but keep your eyes open.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Would spectator anything survive without sponsors?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I sure hope not

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Celluloid Sam posted:

im sorry for taking my anger out on you im just having a really bad night you see my favorite thread got moved to what is basically a desert island without the hot bikini babes

but filling gbs with insipid poo poo is the perfect response becaause these are the threads that our favorite thread was created to get rid of

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
glad there's room on GBS page 1 for this type of quality thread

voted 5

very insightful

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i have a coworker who once mentioned he watches the twitch

i ended up truth-bombing him on how loving pessimistic and whiny he was whenever i had the misfortune to walk to the subway with him.

he has since stopped walking with me to the subway :q:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
all the good threads are in the gas chamber

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

same!!!

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
literally shaking

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

thathonkey posted:

literally shaking

literally shanking

anyone who comes within arms reach

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I walked into an esports bar by accident once. They had big screens with Hearthstone games on and a whole wall of WoW figurines or some nerdy poo poo like that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

It's more popular than the NBA according to Valve

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
What do you mean when sponsors drop out. That's how sports work lol. Having real sponsors is success , because they think they're gonna make money off it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Don Tacorleone posted:

It's more popular than the NBA according to Valve

by what metric

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

thathonkey posted:

by what metric

percentage of fans who will never get laid

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Iron Prince posted:

percentage of fans who will never get laid

:thurman:

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
I watch the Alliance tournament and The International and I hate the games they play but watching cool games that people are good at can be fun. Especially if you're gambling.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

thathonkey posted:

by what metric

I don't remember

Try this article from 2014
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/05/league-of-legends-popularity-world-series-nba

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The 2014 Super Bowl was watched by an estimated 111.5 million people, but eSports viewership has doubled over the last year. In January, League of Legends creator Riot Games announced that the game has 67 million monthly users (worldwide). For comparison, an estimated 24 million play basketball in the United States, and less than 9 million people play football.

From 2014, it's only grown since

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

I think it is, but maybe it isn't? :shrug:

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Is there competitive shower with your dad simulator yet?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Wtf is this hahaha.

My friends and poo poo used to seriously not talk to each other after MKII fights for a day or say but we never said suck my dick bitch. Simpler times.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I don't know why they call it Esports, as video gaming is not a sport. The standard definition of sport is 'physical exertion'; Burning Dorito farts into your chair does not qualify.

Honestly they should call it Egaming. There are professional chess players, and I guarantee you they don't consider what they do a sport. Video games is in the same realm as board games, just on a video screen.

Also both are for children and autists.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Gravy Boat 2k
Rocket League is a fun game I enjoy playing and watching.

hth

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

PyPy posted:

Oh, so like GBS then? This is relevant to me

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

PyPy posted:

I don't know why they call it Esports, as video gaming is not a sport. The standard definition of sport is 'physical exertion'; Burning Dorito farts into your chair does not qualify.

Honestly they should call it Egaming. There are professional chess players, and I guarantee you they don't consider what they do a sport. Video games is in the same realm as board games, just on a video screen.

this is all accurate also maybe they should gamble on the games to make it interesting if they are gambling this months rent money so they have to live on a street and suck balls for money if they lose the game then it might be interesting

but probably not because who the gently caress wants to watch someone play a video game

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

jackyl posted:

this is all accurate also maybe they should gamble on the games to make it interesting if they are gambling this months rent money so they have to live on a street and suck balls for money if they lose the game then it might be interesting

but probably not because who the gently caress wants to watch someone play a video game

a bunch of people gamble on counterstrike matches

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

The 2014 Super Bowl was watched by an estimated 111.5 million people, but eSports viewership has doubled over the last year. In January, League of Legends creator Riot Games announced that the game has 67 million monthly users (worldwide). For comparison, an estimated 24 million play basketball in the United States, and less than 9 million people play football.

From 2014, it's only grown since

that is the dumbest loving quote. they briefly admit that despite few people playing football many people watch the superbowl. they only provided the number of people who play lol and not how many watch their gay pro tournaments.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This weekend there is The International DOTA 2 tournament, where the top teams in the world are playing for twenty million dollar prize pool. Outside of this one event, no, E-sports aren't real.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Chocobo posted:

This weekend there is The International DOTA 2 tournament, where the top teams in the world are playing for twenty million dollar prize pool. Outside of this one event, no, E-sports aren't real.

but, and this is gonna be a stretch, what if they were

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I think the term "esports" comes from the desire of the participants to self-identify as "professional athletes," as if it makes their life choices less shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
E-sports is a fad and a bubble that will collapse sooner than later.
Competitive gaming is going to be around forever.

• Locked thread