Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Having a cig break in the nice little backyard at work, can't complain about a drat thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

UPDATE: I have completed my chill work day and am having a drink on the rooftop patio of the bougie trash bar closest to my place of work. I like that I can smoke up here and watch the street life and enjoy the smell of woodsmoke, plus the staff all like me because I'm polite and also give them pot. Not a fan of the clientele, but I'm sure they don't like me either so that's fine.

Somebody paid in old silver certificates today so I'm rolling around with a couple dollars from 1935, that's pretty exciting. Not worth anything over face value but I like to sort of passively collect old/foreign money, so that's a good comeup for me. About to get baked as gently caress and have a nice long walk back home, which is a thing I initially started doing to try and get less fat and is now just my favorite part of my day. All in all, everything's basically great. Y'all motherfuckers need to buck up. Get real high and take a walk for an hour or two, it'll do you good

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Another successful day at the pot shop. Been at it about eight months now and I'm still not accustomed. I was working mostly in kitchens up until this point, so I'm used to "work" meaning "that place you spend ten hours a day trying your best not to scream." This is not that. The owner is pretty cool because he's getting rich the easy way, the manager is an old friend instead of a powertripping moron that's only there to yell and gently caress servers, I don't end up pulling eighteen hour shifts because the guy that was supposed to come in is in jail, the customers aren't sending back their habanero-radish relish covered tacos for being too spicy, I'm not working over a flattop and fryer in a room that was already a hundred degrees due to busted air conditioning, I don't come home cut and burned and bleach stained and soaked in dishwater and broken. I just hang out and talk about weed and stoke out elderly tourists all day, all while making two bucks an hour more than I did getting hurt for a living. It's a weird transition to make. I kind of miss cooking. How long does it usually take for Stockholm syndrome to wear off?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

the great deceiver posted:

hell yeah you can never go wrong with curry. i still got more chicken to use up so im thinking enchiladas tomorrow, i gotta find a good recipe for homemade enchilada sauce tho

Fresh enchilada sauce is kind of a process. Based on what we did at the best restaurant I worked at, you want to get some dried guajillos, stem and seed them, soak them overnight in cold water, and then you blend those with fresh water in a food processor. the ratio is basically however many chilis you have and enough water to almost cover, you want a kind of wet goop consistency so it's smart to do several little batches so you have some control. Then you toss that into a fine mesh strainer over a container and scrape at that with a metal spoon. This pushes the good stuff through the strainer while saving you from big gross bits of skin or errant seeds. Do a couple rounds with the processor so that you can figure out what's too thick or too watery at this step and adjust. From there it's just a seasoning game. I'm sure it wouldn't be that tough for a family size batch but man oh man making three or four gallons of that at a time is tiring. Any leftovers you end up with can and should be used to make spanish rice.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Aug 7, 2016

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

right on thanks for the info. drat i was hoping it could be done in a couple hours instead of overnight but i probably should have known better. i have a bag of dried chilis but they arent the kind you mentioned and the mexican market near me isnt open til tomorrow. depending on how i feel tomorrow i might just get some premade enchilada sauce or else put them off til later this week.

It might be worth the wait. Our normal-style chicken on that menu (we also did a tinga that would make you want to move in next door) was a slow simmer, shredded meat kind of thing with a shitload of that encho sauce in it, it's great for spanish rice, you could try your hand at a nice rojo salsa and use that in there, it's super versatile if you want to make enough for leftovers. It's a pain in the rear end at first but once you've got it you're basically on autopilot.

I miss working at that restaurant so much. I'd been eating there for years before finding myself unemployed and running into the owners at a bar, I can't describe the level of pride I took in cooking the food I'd already loved and talked up for ages. Plus I'm a loving monster at mexican food now, which is a good trait to have at cookouts. My guacamole game is hideous.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 7, 2016

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

oh man i'm jealous. i've never had any formal training with mexican food or worked in a kitchen that did mexican despite that being the type of food i want to cook the most. everything i've learned about mexican cooking i've had to learn at home.

It's a huge pain in the rear end when you have to do it at home with ingredients you bought, that's for sure. I am incredibly lucky to have been able to just try stuff out in an encouraging environment that already had good recipes.

If you ever make salsa, blacken those tomatoes HARD in a pan before using them. Burn the gently caress out of them. The insides will still be nice and tomato style, but that char is where the flavor lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

i'm definitely gonna make salsa today with blackened tomatoes. i have 5 tomato plants in my garden that are all ripe right now so i have more fresh tomatoes than i know what to do with.

How'd your salsa come out?

While I'm here let's talk guac: it's good. For our recipe you'd take fresh squeezed lime juice, a lot of cilantro, a few habaneros (these were huge batches, like half of one at most is realistic for a normal batch), pickled jalapenos and the juice they were pickled in, and some simple seasonings and blend that up until it's a bubbly green liquid that smells like heaven. Pour that over your prepared avocados. When I started there they wanted me to use this big potato masher, after two batches I wasn't wild about I said gently caress that and threw some gloves on and mashed it by hand. Always do that, you get an incredible level of control over the texture when you do it by hand. Then you just dump some pico in there to add texture and onionyness, mix it up gently, and you're in business.

We did two kinds of molé as well, but that stuff is way too complicated to remember. I'm amazed I even pulled it off the couple times I had to make it, it was like twenty+ ingredients and four hours of careful cooking for either of them. All this in a tiny shotgun kitchen attached to a strip club.

Real Mean Queen fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 8, 2016

• Locked thread