Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bananachin
May 1, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Also if you make anything cool with this stuff you have to post it here for me to see.

Will do! Your package arrived at my post office so I've arranged for its delivery to my place tomorrow night. Thanks again for sending it!

Here's a quick and nasty photo of my current (arduous, nasty-if-satisfying) project:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mostly finished my latest critter! lovely pictures because it's late and there is no light:

Still want to poke it a bit but I'm pretty pleased in general with how it came out. Next stop: experimenting with these shiny threads I now have lying around asking to be experimented with.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Needle felting pro tip: watch Westworld while you make things for maximum creeping yourself out

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

I've been needle felting for almost a year now and I love making stupid little animals. I just made Derpzilla for my friend's birthday.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
Here's my finished tort'

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

My mother in law started felting so I decided to start messing with felt too. So far I've only stabbed some wool into other wool and not actually attempted to make anything (I bought the stuff at lunch today) but it's super relaxing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Also if you make anything cool with this stuff you have to post it here for me to see.

I thought I'd start small and gave this dragon some sparkly wings that are very hard to photograph but are pretty cool and sparkly IRL:

Not quite done with the dragon as a whole but I like how the wings came out :D

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Anybody know how some needle felters get really smooth finishes on their pieces, without little hairs sticking out and making it look all fuzzy? I've tried trimming the little hairs off, but they just show up again once you handle the piece.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Anybody know how some needle felters get really smooth finishes on their pieces, without little hairs sticking out and making it look all fuzzy? I've tried trimming the little hairs off, but they just show up again once you handle the piece.

I think that usually involves wetting the piece so that it felts together as tight as possible, but I've never tried it myself.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I cheat by using prefelt sheets I get from a wool store three towns over: http://www.fibregarden.ca

It's an hour drive there and back and never get out of there without spending at least a hundred bucks, but it saves a ton of time and everything I make with it comes out smoother and way softer than I could ever make with roving.

Hoplosternum
Jun 2, 2010

:parrot:

Finished my little fox! I bought a kitset online with all the things needed. I've now been given some loose wool, so time to be creative and think up my own thing to make. Yay for this thread, I'd never heard of needle felting before and now I have a fun, easy craft to do!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I've been dry felting for about a month now, and I think I have finally found a craft that speaks to me. Who knew that stabbing wool could be so relaxing??

This is my most ambitious project yet, a kobold. I'm going to add silver dagger beads like the ones on her head to her digits, and then I think she'll be finished.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looking great! Love the mixed materials.

What glue do you use? I've tried craft glue, fabric glue, hot glue and epoxy, but my best results have come from Aleene's Tacky Glue. Holds just as strong as the epoxy, without the smell or the hassle of mixing it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Thanks!! I've just used hot glue for the bigger pieces (like the eyes) that I can't felt in.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In case anybody has any interest, I'm doing a felting livestream this Sunday, at 4:00pm eastern time. It's going to be geared towards first-time felters, and I plan to be very general with my advice and tips, so anybody with some wool and a needle should be able to make something by the end of it.

https://www.twitch.tv/feltgoodman

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Ooooh felting thread!!

I haven't made anything needle felted in ages, so instead I will share the last thing I made like 5 years ago...

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Daiso Japan, if you live near one has lots of cute needle felting kits for $1.50.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, has anyone seen the stop animation show Buddy Thunderstruck on Netflix? Are those models felted or is it something else? Either way, it is a cute friggin show.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 23, 2017

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's definitely needle felted. You can tell by the surface texture and THAT ONE GODDAMN FIBER STICKING OUT THAT I SWEAR TO GOD WASN'T THERE BEFORE I CAN'T EVEN SEE IT NOW WHY THE gently caress IS IT SO VISIBLE ON CAMERA

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I think this one needs more stabbing.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I can't really judge, I'm currently in the process of stabbing together my own perfect woman:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I was a little suspicious of your hype, thread, but I gave it a shot and I think I love it. Even managed make a slightly :downs: piplup without stabbing myself!

A+ would stab again, thanks thread!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

A) that is absolutely adorable

B) how the hell did you not manage to stab yourself, tell me your secret. I just bought a kit with leather finger protectors and all they mean is me finding new creative spots to stab myself.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks! :3: Partly is I think I'm just painfully slow, haha. The round shape helped a lot too, I've been making a cat and been less lucky when trying to make the skinnier bits. So.. Spoke too soon?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

The trick is holding it above and below or on either side of where you're poking, so that when you poke through it inevitably you just hit air. Or get a bit of foam to rest it on.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The automotive section of the dollar store is great for that. Get a couple of those big yellow sponges and you're set.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I guess my problem is that I don't like felting into a foam block unless it's the earliest stages of something. Otherwise I end up holding it up and felting into thin air because a) it's small and fiddly so I want to hold it up to my face where I can see properly, b) the shapes mean I often can't physically lie the part I'm felting flat on the foam and c) if I stab into the block then it starts to pull the felt out of my project and into the block which makes the opposite side look really ragged.

I bought a kit with some leather finger protectors which have helped to a certain extent but are a bit bulky so I don't use them all the time. Probably I just need to be more careful that I am stabbing air and not finger.

Anyway, I finished Garnet!

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 5, 2017

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looking good! And a hell of a coincidence, because I just finished this!

The one on the right is the second feltie I ever made, and man it shows.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You beat me to it!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well hey, that's pretty much on-brand for the character, isn't it?

It's looking good so far! I think your colours are more accurate than mine.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 9, 2017

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Haha I bought roving to make a Padparascha the other day and never got around to starting on it. I think her colors are very likeable.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

RandomFerret posted:

Well hey, that's pretty much on-brand for the character, isn't it?

It's looking good so far! I think your colours are more accurate than mine.

Thanks! I spent a lot of time staring at fanart trying to work out what the right colours actually are since since she's in shadow the whole time on the show.

Speaking of colours, I got a small hand carder a month or so ago and it's been fantastic for mixing colours. I was doing it purely by hand and it was taking forever, making my fingers hurt and getting the wool all tangled up. The carder is faster, mixes more evenly and makes it all light and fluffy and nice to use!

For reference, for Padparadscha up there the only colour that I actually had as a colour by itself is the orange I'm using for her face. The rest of the colours are all mixed from other colours. It's really cut down on having to buy even more roving to get the perfect one.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 11, 2017

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got this thing the other day and it didn't look much like Bart, so I decided to try felting some more accurate details onto it

I'm going to be honest, it didn't work all that well. I only had a tiny bit of the right colour roving, so it's blotchy and way too loose, but it's the best I'm willing to do for an internet joke. If I'd had more materials I'm confident that it would have turned out a lot nicer, I'm going to try the same technique again on something else.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Just like Bart!

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Perfect as is

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I continue to use needle felting in ways it was never intended.

More photos here: http://random-ferret.tumblr.com/post/164306467511/transforming-starscream-plush

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:supaburn: THAT IS loving INCREDIBLE

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.
:aaaaa:

You should be insanely proud of yourself.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Does anyone have any tips for making a flat(ish) piece with a different color on each side? I want to make something with a wing but I get a lot of bleed over of colors and don't know if there's a technique I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How thin is it going to be? Try sculpting each side as much as you can on its own while keeping the back as loose as possible, then sandwiching them together by stabbing and twisting the needle into the seam between them. If you have a reverse needle that might work best, it'll keep the edge from getting crunched in and distorted.

• Locked thread