Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I'm glad there's finally a felting thread because it's easy and it barely costs anything to get started. It's more like sculpture than anything else, there's no patterns to follow and no little pieces to cut and keep track of. If you want to make plushies and find sewing is a bit too intimidating, give felting a try. You can fix any mistakes you make and you can put in a lot more detail than anything that requires a needle and thread.

It can even be lucrative! I've been making custom felt dolls professionally for a little while now, and my personal technique starts with making a pipe cleaner skeleton and then winding wool over that before felting on the details:

This lets me do really thin and strong extremities that wouldn't be possible with wool alone, and the finished piece ends up being posable:

You can even make full-on action figures with tons of movable parts!

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I pulled the wool out into a thin strand and wound it around really tightly. That scale effect on the legs was actually entirely by accident!

I bent the end of the pipe cleaner around under the top of the toes after I'd already finished felting, and closed the wool around it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

See if you can find a bag of polyfill to use as core material. It's super cheap and felts really easily. In fact, you need to be careful with it because it'll get hard if you work it too much.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I call dibs on all that sparkly nonsense.

I'd also be willing to take everything else, but I'll wait a while to see if anybody else wants in. I don't want to sabotage the fledgling career of a potential new felter with my greed.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I sent an email to the account you use for paypal, let me know if you can't get those

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

My usual camera's broken, but I just finished this baby therizinosaurus and I want to show it off, so here's a shot from a five year old phone camera.

The claws are the most important part of a therizinosaurus, so I made them out of sculpey. This was my first time combining felting and clay sculpting, and I didn't really think things through. I wanted it to be in a more naturalistic pose, but the claws weigh more than the rest of it and this is the only position that doesn't fall over immediately.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I cheat by using prefelt sheets I get from a wool store three towns over: http://www.fibregarden.ca

It's an hour drive there and back and never get out of there without spending at least a hundred bucks, but it saves a ton of time and everything I make with it comes out smoother and way softer than I could ever make with roving.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looking great! Love the mixed materials.

What glue do you use? I've tried craft glue, fabric glue, hot glue and epoxy, but my best results have come from Aleene's Tacky Glue. Holds just as strong as the epoxy, without the smell or the hassle of mixing it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

In case anybody has any interest, I'm doing a felting livestream this Sunday, at 4:00pm eastern time. It's going to be geared towards first-time felters, and I plan to be very general with my advice and tips, so anybody with some wool and a needle should be able to make something by the end of it.

https://www.twitch.tv/feltgoodman

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's definitely needle felted. You can tell by the surface texture and THAT ONE GODDAMN FIBER STICKING OUT THAT I SWEAR TO GOD WASN'T THERE BEFORE I CAN'T EVEN SEE IT NOW WHY THE gently caress IS IT SO VISIBLE ON CAMERA

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The automotive section of the dollar store is great for that. Get a couple of those big yellow sponges and you're set.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looking good! And a hell of a coincidence, because I just finished this!

The one on the right is the second feltie I ever made, and man it shows.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Well hey, that's pretty much on-brand for the character, isn't it?

It's looking good so far! I think your colours are more accurate than mine.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 9, 2017

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got this thing the other day and it didn't look much like Bart, so I decided to try felting some more accurate details onto it

I'm going to be honest, it didn't work all that well. I only had a tiny bit of the right colour roving, so it's blotchy and way too loose, but it's the best I'm willing to do for an internet joke. If I'd had more materials I'm confident that it would have turned out a lot nicer, I'm going to try the same technique again on something else.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I continue to use needle felting in ways it was never intended.

More photos here: http://random-ferret.tumblr.com/post/164306467511/transforming-starscream-plush

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

How thin is it going to be? Try sculpting each side as much as you can on its own while keeping the back as loose as possible, then sandwiching them together by stabbing and twisting the needle into the seam between them. If you have a reverse needle that might work best, it'll keep the edge from getting crunched in and distorted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am proud to say that I have gotten good enough at felting for lovely listicle sites to mistake my work for cheap mass-produced garbage.

• Locked thread