Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cool that Windows 10 broke ds4windows recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
even without a working controller atm I can say this game is fully sick. Absolutely play this

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did Metroid 2 poo poo this many powerups at you? I'm like 20 minutes in and have charge beam, spider ball, 60 missiles and 2 energy tanks.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 7, 2016

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

Did Metroid 2 poo poo this many powerups at you? I'm like 20 minutes in and have charge beam, spider ball, 60 missiles and 2 energy tanks.

Yes. You need a lot of missiles to kill stronger metroids.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This is really cool. Nintendo has the best fans.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hope they use this engine to build some original Metroid fan games, it seems like it could make good 2D Metroids.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
i like metroid 2 a lot for being the weird half step between 1 and super. it doesn't have the masterclass level design of super but it does have a lot of cool additions it doesn't really get credit for. anyway i'll play this

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The Milkman posted:

i like metroid 2 a lot for being the weird half step between 1 and super. it doesn't have the masterclass level design of super but it does have a lot of cool additions it doesn't really get credit for. anyway i'll play this

Its hot garbage and you cant see poo poo much like rick james darkness charlie murphy and doom 3 ,

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

If you select "hard" and find that the difficulty ramps up way too high, do dis

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

edit: double post

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Doctor Nick posted:

If you select "hard" and find that the difficulty ramps up way too high, do dis

The torizo boss is too hard but I'm not giving up and switching to normal.

Doctor Nick
Dec 27, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

Just wait until you get to the tower and the zeta metroids.

Soral
May 30, 2009

i loving love metroid

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Breh - u were trying to do some blaatant trollon my last night. noiw u doing it again?

bruh...berh. I dont give no fvufck. MIDEWST CHIOOPPEST TOYLE BITCH. FUAWK YO rear end NIGGA
TO ALL YALL AHATAS - FUCKEN PEASANTS

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's really easy to infinite bomb jump and do crazy sequence breaks. But now I can't find super missiles or the speed booster lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Evil Eagle posted:

chorizo boss

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
drat this is really good.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this is good but theres too much "odd" tiles that make you think there's a breakable block or hidden path, and several 1 tile high tunnels that are just dead ends and it drives me nuts.
i also sequence breaked over what ended up being the power bombs, but i think you can only get the spider ball charge beam and some missile tanks before the bombs become necessary to progress.
i played for about an hour and already have like 18% completion rate which is a bit worrying, especially given you get 3 major powerups in a span of like 10 minutes. hidden items havent been particularly tough to figure out, and im not fond of how some of them require you to shoot at some weird crystal things that trigger movable blocks. That seems very unmetroidlike.
level design isnt mindblowing but its fine, hopefully poo poo gets interconnected in clever/secret ways.
it controls fine but theres also a lot of places where ramp tiles could have been used but instead they are 1 tile higher floors which makes samus stop and if you jump she just mantles over them, somewhat throwing me off when i expect a jump.
its really really good for a fangame but im remaining skeptical

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ArfJason posted:

this is good but theres too much "odd" tiles that make you think there's a breakable block or hidden path, and several 1 tile high tunnels that are just dead ends and it drives me nuts.
i also sequence breaked over what ended up being the power bombs, but i think you can only get the spider ball charge beam and some missile tanks before the bombs become necessary to progress.
i played for about an hour and already have like 18% completion rate which is a bit worrying, especially given you get 3 major powerups in a span of like 10 minutes. hidden items havent been particularly tough to figure out, and im not fond of how some of them require you to shoot at some weird crystal things that trigger movable blocks. That seems very unmetroidlike.
level design isnt mindblowing but its fine, hopefully poo poo gets interconnected in clever/secret ways.
it controls fine but theres also a lot of places where ramp tiles could have been used but instead they are 1 tile higher floors which makes samus stop and if you jump she just mantles over them, somewhat throwing me off when i expect a jump.
its really really good for a fangame but im remaining skeptical

Yeah, the 2-3 major powerups + several missile tanks in consecutive rooms thing is really throwing me off. And then I got varia suit and it doesn't seem to actually let you go anywhere, just fight poo poo longer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

18% after an hour sounds about right, Metroid games are usually like 4 to 5 hours long

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

metroid 2 wasn't very long either nad had lovely level design iirc, in addition to being impossible to see

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

18% after an hour sounds about right, Metroid games are usually like 4 to 5 hours long

super metroid was absolutely not a 5 hour experience.

mysterious loyall X posted:

metroid 2 wasn't very long either nad had lovely level design iirc, in addition to being impossible to see

ah, that explains it. Hopefully the guy takes some liberties with level design later :/

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

supes metroid you can finsih in 5 hours if you aren't a 10 year old atm

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ArfJason posted:

super metroid was absolutely not a 5 hour experience.

ah, that explains it. Hopefully the guy takes some liberties with level design later :/

he definitely does

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

supes metroid you can finsih in 5 hours if you aren't a 10 year old atm

yeah but not the very first run where its all new and you're getting your bearings. like im sure i could do it *now* but going in blind its different

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the first time I played super Metroid I got like 100% in 6 and a half hours

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah 2d metroids are all very short. its about doing challenge/speed reruns.

this is a fanmake of a fairly bad metroid, done on some dudes free time. its gonna have issues and i think its unfair to attack it tbh

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i said its really really good for a fangame, i havent forgotten that!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's fair to criticize stuff, but I think the bosses have been neat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hope you got the download in folks

https://twitter.com/MetroidDatabase/status/762432458641936388

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I can't believe it took them this long

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

its nuts that the spider ball is basically the first thing you get

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You get it early in Metroid 2

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's still available on the actual AM2R site.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

theres a torrent for it so w/e

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the boss in the hydro station is really fun

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

frank.club posted:

You get it early in Metroid 2

i've never played that before. the metroid guys have lost their minds.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

you're pretty much required to use it constantly if you're playing the game totally blind without a map. spider ball also totally breaks some things, even in this game. If you can pull off an infinite bomb jump you can luck in a spider ball grab on a wall.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mabels big day posted:

i had to play it with a map open the entire time and still got lost a lot because Metroid 2 kinda blew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

frank.club posted:

you're pretty much required to use it constantly if you're playing the game totally blind without a map. spider ball also totally breaks some things, even in this game. If you can pull off an infinite bomb jump you can luck in a spider ball grab on a wall.

im glad the timing for bomb jumping is not as strict in this game, got to that one missile tank over the first miniboss after he opens the ceiling with it. you dont really need to luck in with it to cling on walls, maybe sometimes with ceilings

• Locked thread