Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Controversial viewpoint: the whole thing is actually created by Vladimir Nabokov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Heath posted:

Please don't waste thread space with ridiculous things like this.

What's more ridiculous is people who cheapen an Unreliable Narrator device with vigorously defended "fan theories" :colbert:

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Tree Goat posted:

Boyd is certainly silly (I think one of the essays linked in the OP accuses him of going "an exegetic bridge too far" which sounds about right), but from things like The Vane Sisters we can see that Nabokov is not above playing the kind of games that Boyd uses for evidence, and the theme of the supernatural floats around consistently enough without a satisfying referent, that it's tempting to play New Criticism style games with the work, even though the Author is stone cold Dead. I think Kinbote's unreliability functions very differently as a device than, for instance, Humbert Humbert, so reducing them both to just lines on a TV Tropes page cuts off some interesting approaches to tackling the work.

I think this book was definitely intended to facilitate interpretations of every shape and size, more so than an average unreliable narration. But I've seen there's a fine line between having fun with subtext and suppressing some actual meaningful discussion. Sharing different interpretations could enlighten your fellow readers and challenge them to see new details, but then it can also devolve into some kind of juvenile "picking sides" where the emphasis is put on who can back up their own reading. Then I get suspicious if someone actually thinks that Hazel is the key figure of the book or if they're just trying to have a unique stance.

• Locked thread