Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

What's with the 4:3 aspect ratio? And why is the resolution so low? The subtitles are barely readable.

UZworm posted:

Imperial or Stormcloak?
Imperial, because the Stormcloaks are obviously the bad guys and not even fun or entertaining bad guys.

Kopijeger posted:

I always thought it made no sense to join the Imperials when they were going to execute even though they knew you were innocent.
Well, that was just one person, probably not representative of the entire empire. And they didn't know you were innocent, they knew you were part of a group of prisoners and they'd lost your records.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FrozenCherry posted:

Question is: should Mr. Puffles get married?

It is pretty convenient to have a shop in your house.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

UZworm posted:

Yeah, since she was added in Dawnguard she was made like 10x better than any other follower. She'll even interact with objects nearby when she's left to her own devices and poo poo.

Well, go with her then.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cabbage is delicious. Chop it up, put it in a frying pan with some butter and garlic. Add some bacon or salami if you like. Or throw it in a salad, stir-fry or stew. Cabbage is great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So this Esbern guy, he's saying that the world is going to end, everyone is going to die and a dragon is going to eat our souls, and there's nothing anyone can do about it, but no one listened to his warning. What exactly was he hoping people would do? Is there some action that could have been taken to avert this unavoidable apocalypse?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

At 3:46 this video just stops playing and any attempt to skip past that just results in endless loading. Is this just me, some issue with YouTube, or something wrong with the video?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

White Coke posted:

A McGuffin has no purpose to the narrative other than to cause characters to do things because of it. The Elder Scroll in this game isn't a McGuffin because it is actually used for something. If the pursuit of the Scroll was used to advance the plot without it ever being used for anything then it'd merely be a plot device.
I have played far enough into this game to get it but I don't remember what it does at all, so what does it do?

UZworm posted:

A bit later into the game, we're going to be presented with a choice. Kill Paarthurnax or Don't kill Paarthurnax. We're going to piss off either the Blades or the Greybeards depending on our choice there, so choose wisely. But vote on whether you want our new droning dragon friend to stay alive or you want his skull to meet Mr. Puffles' hammer.
He's a tedious exposition dump, kill him.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Every time I watch one of these episodes it makes me want to play Skyrim and I have to remind myself how tedious and repetitive playing the game actually is.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ScreamingLlama posted:

I did Meridia's quest early in the game. while I was mopping up side quests from Whiterun because sidequests are my jam and stop looking at me like that.

I think most games with side quests would benefit from having their main quests excised to make room for more side quests. In Skyrim I kind of forgot what the main quest was and never finished it. In the Deus Ex games I always felt disappointed when I finished all the side quests in an area and had to progress the plot.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

silversatyr posted:

You could get Enderal (the Skyrim conversion mod) which makes it similar but the story and quests are very different. It's a newer fresher Skyrim with different husbandos and waifus. Also loot. Loot for days. And sidequests. Sidequests for days. Did I mention a huge-rear end city that has 5 different districts that are, themselves, the size of a normal town in Skyrim?
I tried that out and it did not work for me at all. I think I was still in the tutorial when I encountered a monster that regained health faster than I could damage it. And that after the prologue that goes on way too long.

ScreamingLlama posted:

I don't see how Skyrim is repetitive unless you're constantly spelunking or doing bandit raids. I'm in Solstheim at the moment (went there after giving the Horn to Arngeir, just to shake things up a bit) and things have just been crazy story wise.
I don't even know what the story is most of the time. I know the broad strokes, but it all boils down to "go to a place, kill a bunch of dudes, take a thing" and there's not really any variety to any of it. It really doesn't matter which particular quest you're doing, it's just more of the same. It's OK when you're still getting new spells and stuff, but that's just a tiny fraction of how long it would take to actually do everything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ScreamingLlama posted:

It seems to me like RPGs aren't your speed, then.

You're right, I clearly hate RPGs, especially Skyrim.

Like I said, it's fun at the start, it's just that after a while you've seen everything but the game isn't even close to finished and you just find yourself doing the same stuff over and over. You can like something and still criticise it, you know.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

UZworm posted:

Windstad Manor

Nearby Major City: Morthal

Quests: Murder mystery involving ghost of young child and vampires and poo poo.
Well, this sounds like the most interesting option.

Poil posted:

Dragonrend, a powerful shout that comes from the pure hatred of dragons and is said to force dragons to know what it's like to be mortal. What it actually does is "Excuse me, would you please land for a moment where it's convenient for you?"
Yeah, I tried it out when I got it because it's played up as a super-weapon, but mostly it just makes fighting dragons even less convenient than it already was.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Am I the only person who actually prefers the original inventory screen to SkyUI? SkyUI just makes the text really small and adds unnecessary complexity. And unless you're just carrying around garbage for no reason, how much stuff do you even have in your inventory?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rubberduke posted:

The 2 story DLCs were probably the high point of Skyrim. How come none of the base game questlines were that interesting? Nothing about the main questline really makes you want to complete it. I only ever did it once.

Nothing about any of it really makes you want to complete it. There's so much game and it's all so samey. If you've played for half an hour, you've seen everything the game has to offer, and yet it goes on and on.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

UZworm posted:

Highwang seriously can't tell any of the characters in this game apart.
Can anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cruel Summer is a good song.

• Locked thread