Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Mister Puffles was clearly arrested for copyright infringement following charges placed by Tony the Tiger.

Skooma Flakes were really cutting in on their business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Imperials might have an actual retirement plan!

Also, when Ulfric's political stance is based around being a tough guy viking, and the first thing the Stormcloaks do is run from a Dragon fight while even the underpaid town guard tries to handle it? They are probably a pretty poo poo fantasy viking regardless of race relations :colbert:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 11, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mauman posted:

This.....this has got to be the most beautiful anti-Stormcloaks argument I've ever seen.

I never thought of that.

I still need to get around to "Play farther than the first dragon fight", but that's basically been my main justification of wanting to side with the Imperials over the Stormcloaks... even though I never got around to the civil war stuff anyways.

"Hmm, yes. Overworked secretary who didn't want me executed anyways helps lead me to saftey, while the Stormcloaks all gently caress off after talking up how viking they are as Not Valhalla gets a sudden influx of town guard souls."

I'm sure the Imperials end up to be terrible at their job. But at least at first appearance, they are at least trying to do their job :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I've heard there is apparently some kind of violent smurf?

Alternatively Use whoever you like that quests won't screw with using

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Jenassa

It also means you can offload decent light armor onto her without missing out personally.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I've been getting back into this game after never having gotten particularly far, and good lord are "I float backwards just fast enough to avoid all your melee attacks while spamming magic. Maybe with a side of sliding 90 degrees up a large rock" enemies loving obnoxious.

"Well I just slayed multiple dragons pretty okay, life is good-Oh it's a wispmother/floating undead wizard/etc. gently caress my life." I am going to make a voodoo doll out of these wisp wrappings.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 27, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UZworm posted:

You can cast the same spell with both hands? Huh. I always thought you could only duel-cast different spells.

Shows how often I play with magic in this game!

Fuuuuuuuuck Spriggans.

On the bright side, you have commentary buddies handy to offer sympathy!

Theoretically.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I just did that dragon mound story mission the other day myself for the first time (Finally), and something I thought was a fluke happened to you too.

What's with the lone random dead stormcloak?

I mean, he wasn't there when I naturally happened across the mount earlier (You get to tell Dolphin Blade that you already know where it is, if you've passed by it). But his corpse was there for me when I went back for the quest, and there he was for you.

PS: I just settled for cockblocking Sven via sidequest.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I tried the whole stealthy thing but people would immediately go from commenting "Must be new around here" to trying to kill my disguised Orc (even if I was wearing stuff I stole from a previously living wizard instead of the free robes laying around).

So gently caress it, sneak only as long as it takes to get a free battle axe swing. End up dressed in a smash up of elven armor with banded iron torso by the time I leave. I only smuggled lockpicks and a Battleaxe out of paranoia for 'we'll give you your stuff back' mechanics :v:

One of the side benefits of this LP, is reminding me the Main quest exists. So I do one or two then get distracted again, like becoming Thane of 99% of Skyrim before the Embassy Party-Oh wait I'm trying a new character, send help.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

MinistryofLard posted:

Fun fact about that mission: you can definitely get through it in disguise, it just depends on your race and forethought.

The conversation between the guards at the start is meant to clue you in to the fact that of you disguise yourself as a wizard using the wizard robes, you can walk past them up to a point. Nearby you can find a set of wizard robes, but you need hooded robes (because naturally, they can see your face otherwise). You can't get hooded robes in the embassy iirc - you have to take them in with you.

Even then, if you are an Argonian or Khajit, they'll be hostile immediately (yelling, "hey, is that a tail" right before) because you're obviously not a thalmor. If you are one of the humanoid races, you can get through without hostility to the guy at the door to the solar, where you need to talk to him to get through and he realises you aren't a thalmor - then everybody turns hostile.
Looking that up after the fact, seems Orcs are supposed to get a "that PROBABLY works!" situation. I only knew about the buggy freebie robe, when I stealth battleaxed that mage upstairs first thing, putting on his clothes and unequipping my weapon seemed to make the Thalmor chime in with things like "Oh, they must be new around here" while rushing over to kill me with swords and summons at the ready in the middle of saying cliche disguise reaction lines :v:

Tin Tim posted:

Poor Malboro Man. He pretty much always dies on your first try at this because you have no idea that the guards will spawn in while you're loving around in the cells. If you're on the ball you can get back up the stairs in time and the whack the guards to save him. Bows usually don't work cause the guards will just stab him before you can kill them. Keeping him alive enables a small follow-up quest where you help him to leave skyrim cause the thalmor now want his rear end dead

Yeah, they talk long enough that just going "Oh gently caress" and sprinting up the stairs with a battle axe got the job done for me. I imagine if my aim with sprinting power attacks was slightly off though, I'd probably have killed them harder than Puffles did.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Good luck with your rampage through the lands, and happy birthday UZWorm :buddy:

I finally finished off the civil war and main quest for the first time, and I discovered personal reason number two to tell Ulfric to go gently caress himself. (First one being Stormcloaks reaction to the Helgen dragon. Become huge babies and ditch me while the overworked Empire grunts try save me).

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

silversatyr posted:

Because they're fun despite the bugs. There's something that's forgivable about your horse riding off a cliff and killing itself because it's not a necessity to playing the game. It helps that they allow mods for their games, too, meaning that we don't have to wait forever for some kind of patch to fix any issues that pop up.

But yeah, mostly because they're fun.

Yeah, when it gets lovely is when the fanbase gets super overly defensive or player blaming about it.

Like that one quarry in Fallout 4 that would have horrendous rendering errors for tons of people. Or bringing up the quicktravel points that will place you on top of respawning landmines. "Well I NEVER use quicktravel! Therefore you are the problem for being too casual, not the game's fault! :smug:" "Then what about the bomb traps respawning in the concession stand of the drive through settlement? While I own it. While I'm placing furniture. For the 3rd time... Oh I'm worse than Hitler, okay then."

Christ, it's amazing how many people were screaming for follower permadeath in Fo4. Considering how 90% of my follower KOs involved them phasing through terrain (Catwalks in particular), or even knocking themselves out because they walked between a pair of road cones the wrong way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Five Apples posted:

I can only laugh at the number of times I've fully charged my gauss rifle, carefully lined up a shot, and watched my companion's head slide right into my cross-hairs as I release the trigger.
BOOM
*use stimpack on Deacon*

And that option and end result, is thankfully, what makes it usually funny instead of :argh:

If only I were so lucky whenever I attempt to use destruction magic when it comes to Skyrim followers :sigh: Faendal, buddy. I removed your dagger so you would use your bow out of harms way more often, not charge in to punch things in a corner I can't fireball into without killing you.

I should probably add something to deal with that to my steadily growing mods list.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Basement chef is a cannibal, so it's totally okay to kill them.

Sad veteran was the only guy down there who doesn't attack you, though :mad:

Killing innocent people is for quest rewards, not for table scraps :pseudo:

PS: The best book in Skyrim is the choose your own adventure book.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Fish Noise posted:

uffles has not slept for- what the hell are you d-

dude why

Look, that bread has been sitting on a shelf in a cave/keep for years. At this point it makes for a more sturdy mug than an actual mug.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I had a Dragon awkwardly show up and leave during my embassy mission, while I was in the courtyard.

Though I think my favorite place to see dragons show up (repeatedly) is the big courtyard at wizard school. It seems to happen a lot when I show up after a long while, and thus most of the population is in a conga line moving through it already getting their pathing sorted again.

It turns out about as well as you'd expect for the Dragon. And also tends to make me leave crying at dire my Destruction game is at that point even when I'm using Mods, and run back to my comfort zone of casting every single other spell type while I smash things with an enchanted axe.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 9, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Yeah, take care of yourself first, Mr. Puffles frustrated funtime adventure second.

It's no good when forcing yourself to LP a game is ACTUALLY killing you inside :smith:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Hmm. Finally get around to starting FF15, or Mister Puffles...

This decision is starting off beautifully.

Welcome back, UzWorm

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UZworm posted:

You know what we haven't had in here in a bit? A good old fashioned thread vote! And since we've now met Paarthurnax I think this one is obvious.

A bit later into the game, we're going to be presented with a choice. Kill Paarthurnax or Don't kill Paarthurnax. We're going to piss off either the Blades or the Greybeards depending on our choice there, so choose wisely. But vote on whether you want our new droning dragon friend to stay alive or you want his skull to meet Mr. Puffles' hammer.

Also yes, even though it does make a few appearances in Skyrim it is pretty lame that Skooma is literally just a low-grade stamina potion with no ill side effects to it if you take it.

Don't Kill, it's the laziest way out as well and Mister Puffles already has enough dragons to kill on his schedule as it is :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ScreamingLlama posted:

The quest reward - Dawnbreaker - is well worth the trouble, though, since it is ridiculously overpowered in the early game. Ditto with Mephala's quest.

Dawnbreaker is pretty cool and all, but the usual reason it ends up on a shelf somewhere for me most of the time is down to how many hands are involved wielding it.

Mister Puffles strikes me as the sort of upstanding guy who prefers to take on problems with both hands.

It is of little surprise what my personal favorite Daedric weapon is, when I bother to use them (Not that I've got all that many playthroughs past learning I'm the Dragonborn under my belt, I only just finally beat the main plot this year :v: )

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As much as I'd love to see Mr. Puffles take up the nearly useless hobby of baking with easier access to home ground flour (Garlic bread curse disease :pseudo:)?

Lakeview because it's not near a loving swarmp, and it's also the least freezing all the time. Also I forget offhand exactly, but I think Lakeview also comes with the coolest House butler?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
You prevented the end of the world! And now to get next to zero respect for it in the postgame.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UZworm posted:

As of right now it's just SkyUI and the Pretty Cool Gem mod.

I feel that even "Mod Free" playthroughs should get to use Sky UI. Holy loving poo poo what a difference.

Whenever I get back into Skyrim with "I'll beat it THIS time!" (which I finally did), I start Vanilla and they get immediately reminded how much of what I assumed was there by default, was Sky UI just adding basic QoL stuff you don't expect to need a mod for.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RareAcumen posted:

Like what?

Like, think of something you would consider "Basic RPG UI" or "Basic PC Game UI" (Though they did add proper gamepad support, so no "PC Master Race" antics)

UZworm posted:

First thing that came to my mind is the fact that you can actually see a large portion, if not all, of your inventory instead of having to scroll down a giant list of poo poo. There's also an easy text search you can use on your inventory if you need to find something quickly. Useful!

Skyrim doesn't have that. Sky UI Adds it.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3863/

The first two "Before, After" images alone start the sum up very well.

1/4 of the bottom left corner of your screen for scrolling through the names of all your items/spells/etc. Vs "Actual Inventory/Spell/Etc screen. with Damage, armor value, type sorting and poo poo-holy gently caress this also works on the crafting screen?"

Also if you're planning on getting into more modding, Sky UI is basically one of the big two mods that 90% of mods want you to have (Because a large part of it is "Enable menu options for other Mods" type stuff, as well)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 16, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UZworm posted:

Well yeah, that's what I was saying.

I was repeating your statement to emphasis "Good things you now have thanks to the mod", but yeah I did kind of mangle the delivery :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Garlick doesn't hurt vampires in Skyrim. But Garlic BREAD will cure disease :pseudo:

Which would also be a much more fun thing to loot, than yet more scraps of paper with a recipe to craft a cure disease potion :sigh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Even if I had made it to the two minute voting window I just can't imagine Mister Puffles, growing pyromaniac that he is, appreciating Vamparism's many downsides.

I mean, at least Dawnguard apparently lowers your vulnerability to fire compared to without the DCC. But fire is Mister Puffles's friend. Any vulnerability is just wrong :colbert:

Cathode Raymond posted:

I also vote against Vampire Puffles on the grounds that Mr. Puffles is a cat, and I think making him a werewolf would add kind of a nice identity crisis to his story arc.
The biggest strength of Werewolfism, is that you can just forget it's there because it has zero downsides of penalties :v: Well, unless you can't live without the well rested bonus.

Which as much as anything, is why I go "Yeah sure I guess" for that questline.

Oh my god gently caress frost dragons so loving hard. Even with mods.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Time to start catching up. Why yes, I needed some consistent laughter today :allears:

gently caress undead wizards

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 21, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"You went white as the snow" He's a CAT. How can you tell? Did his hair turn white while his stripes popped off like a cartoon cat seeing a ghost?

I hope it did.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I've got a question. How, exactly, do people in the Elder Scrolls fight? We never see battles in the games due to technical limitations, but is it described in the lore? I'm just thinking, from a practical perspective, they cannot fight in the manner of Medieval warfare because large tightly compacted infantry formations are vulnerable to magic. Further, any combatant who doesn't know magic is screwed because they can be picked off from range, although that varys based on the skill of the wizard. Further, there seems to be a profusion of plate armor, or at the very least breastplates, even though Imperial armor is based on that of Rome and later Byzantium.

Well, everyone from the common man to government officials being dirt poor is keeping everyone from just picking up casual wizardry. "Oh no, the legion lost their book on small unit tactics!... Welp, guess we can't train our new recruits unless someone finds us another copy of this super common as gently caress book". This also goes towards why most Imperial redshirts are wearing the cheap stuff that doesn't even come towards a breastplate, but then all you need to to is ask if you want heavy imperial armor when joining up after all. It's how I got mine :pseudo:

Along with the fact most wizards are kind of poo poo even if they did buy/loot Idiots Guide to Fire Bolt. So it's not worth worrying about unless it's the exception. 90% of the time enemy casters are like if Mister Puffles is trying to kill them with spells :rolleyes: then there is that 10% of the time where it's like Mister Puffles annihilating things with dragon breath :supaburn: And the Stormcloaks are not exactly rolling in undead floating wizards.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 19, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

UZworm posted:

The next video contains possibly the worst thing I have ever created in my entire existence as a YouTube video maker, and I apologize for nothing.

You marry the Vampire and the next five hours of video is you rebuilding a fresh house to accommodate adopted children?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I never got around to Dawnguard. I get the feeling that even if you had used your dust collecting dash shout past the bridge, you would still end up falling somehow.

Or maybe just confused by a dead end past the bridge until you just say gently caress it and jump down :downs:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
UZworm, your loving around in video games has improved my mood after getting my proper PC back after a week and still some kinks to iron out.

Hope things go okay for you.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So finally catching up with Miss Puffles, and that certainly improved my day :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Console in a matching outfit when the time comes for Clown Vs Clown deathmatch

• Locked thread