Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

jeff smisek posted:

Pick how about alpacas. Thank u for the camel thread :)

Alpaca are probably domesticated vicuna, but they've been domesticated a very long time. Actually, what differentiates "species" is a huge argument in biology, so whether they're really "different species" just depends on where humans choose to draw the line. Generally speaking, alpaca are like sheep but a bit smarter but also jerks. Sometimes sheep herders put a llama or alpaca in there because they'll lead the herd around and scare off dogs and coyotes and stuff, because they're bigger and they can see further and they've got higher aggro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bleep.bloop posted:

They are, but all the ones I've known are also notorious practical jokers. Once a horse stole a pencil out of my tool bags and made me chase him around to get it back. Do camelids like to play pranks on people?

A friend of mine has a mad crafty horse who can break out of any normal stall. My great-aunt once owned a horse who was super smart, a Lipizzaner who would babysit children. By all accounts, that horse was a better mother than my great-aunt was. My therapy horse was kind of a dumbass but I miss him. Those are horses. :horse:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i thought you stopped making these threads pick, good to see i was wrong

I used to make them as a break when I was working on stuff for depressingly long hours, or things were processing, but where I am now, if I have dicking-around time it lends itself better to phone-posting. But making these threads that way isn't practical.

Enjoy this collection of other unpredictably informational Pick threads you may have missed:

Living Things:
Sea Urchins and Echinoderms
Shrimp
Crocodilians: Saltwater Crocodiles, Gharials, Caimans, and More!
Let's Celebrate the Wild World of Frogs!
The begrudging rodent thread
If you love me, flip over an upturned horseshoe crab
World of Bunnies
Elves & Shrimp: Ocean shrimp and the shrimp of the land (elves)
Let's Learn how Baby Animals Become Adults Animals!
It's loving Spiders!
Horses with Beards
Chondrichthyes - cartilaginous fishes of all kinds
Overlooked Molluscs

Flavors of Death:
Rabies Thread
Animal Skeleton Thread
Photos of Animals Near Trains (Just kidding! These animals are happy and alive.)
Rust & Corrosion (sort of qualifies)

Botany:
Learn Your Flowers!
Species of Fruit
Peanuts: The Plant

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Motherhood

This guy is a blue-eyed white, which is a recessive thing that means they are usually deaf. He's pretty chill.

The African American

Portrait of a Gumboot Sucker

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ty for posting your alpacas :)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Why the double-l in "llama"? Is it paletised, or like a Welsh thing?

(Not about camels as such, but whatevs.)

death sext
Nov 4, 2011

camels are used by the Kenyan national library service to get books around remote places

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

death sext posted:

camels are used by the Kenyan national library service to get books around remote places

thats rad

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

dromebary

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016
I have a song that I sing to myself to remember the South American camelids

it goes:

llamas and alpacas
guanacos and vicuņas

one of the other benefits of my South American camelids song is that it also helps me remember the wild species/domesticated species pairings (guanaco/llama, vicuņa/alpaca) by the order they go in

I hope that some of you can use my song too :)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

TheUltimateDoofus posted:

I have a song that I sing to myself to remember the South American camelids

it goes:

llamas and alpacas
guanacos and vicuņas

one of the other benefits of my South American camelids song is that it also helps me remember the wild species/domesticated species pairings (guanaco/llama, vicuņa/alpaca) by the order they go in

I hope that some of you can use my song too :)

Thank you, this is very informative.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is a man trying to grab a camel.

http://i.imgur.com/pEN9mgq.gifv

The camel has none of it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Pick posted:

Thank you, this is very informative.

i think it sucks anyways what's the name of the long neck weird deer i was just wondering and where are they found

Tonsured
Jan 14, 2005

I came across mention of a Gnostic codex called The Unreal God and the Aspects of His Nonexistent Universe, an idea which reduced me to helpless laughter. What kind of person would write about something that he knows doesn't exist, and how can something that doesn't exist have aspects?
I was about to make a giraffe gaffe and post a G. Camelopardalis

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Australia has camels.

It should not be this way.

Once upon a time Nevada had camels.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
lovely temper indeed.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That camel did nothing wrong.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I don't think they have a bad temper, they just aren't dumb. Horses are dumb as gently caress and do whatever you tell them to do, but a camel is smart enough to think "nah that is bullshit I ain't gonna do it".

My aunt raises sheep and she has a guard llama named Apollo. He likes apples and having his neck scratched.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah, same

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

the noises that angry camels make is deeply unsettling

reminds me of zerg kinda

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

doom imps make camel noises

Han Solomon
Mar 7, 2015

BOUND
AND
GAGGED
I used to hate camels... but not anymore!

Thanks Pick! (op)

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pick posted:

Dromedary camels, which are large diurnal desert creatures, are obviously more concerned with shedding heat than maintaining it. They don't have large ears like elephants though (in fact, camel ears are itty-bitty). They can however survive high internal temperatures, so yeah they let their interior temperatures reach 105 or so degrees F on a sometimes daily basis. They can go four two weeks without drinking water as long as the temperature isn't too high, since their kidneys are extremely effective at using minimal water for excretion. uhhh yep I think that stuff is right.

In addition to all of the above, there's current research into the expression of heat shock proteins in camels and how that expression aids in homeostatic maintenance.

When organisms get too hot they die as a result of multiple factors all coming together as a confluence of failures. Part of that cascade involves the denaturing (or unmaking, if you will) of proteins crucial to the process of cell biology.

Basically when something gets too hot its cellular proteins get all fucky and unwound, and cells start dying as their processes stop.

Heat shock proteins appear to help keep those super-important proteins from denaturing at high temperatures; when camels are exposed to them, the genes for their heat shock proteins are over-expressed which indicates their bodies are cranking up the protection. After that over-expression, there's a drop in the presence of that gene, and then they're back to normal in about a day.

So glad I finally got to talk about something from my Bio MS classes to an audience that isn't middle schoolers.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
just in case anyone was thinking buying a camel:
https://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/camels-for-sale.asp

and because i like small camels and think it would be cool to have a dog sized camel as a pet heres a cool blurb about the vicuņa:
http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2014/04/01/life-as-the-worlds-smallest-camel/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Camels are alright in my book

• Locked thread