Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Hitchcock film?
The Lodger
The 39 Steps
The Lady Vanishes
Shadow of a Doubt
Spellbound
Notorious
Rope
Strangers on a Train
I Confess
Rear Window
Dial M for Murder
To Catch a Thief
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934 or 1956)
The Trouble with Harry
The Wrong Man
Vertigo
North by Northwest
Psycho
The Birds
Marnie
Torn Curtain
Topaz
Frenzy
Family Plot
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Amazingly readable post if youre high

voted 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

My thoughts on all the Hitchcock films I've seen...

The Lodger - He made two or three before this, but it's neat how "Hitchcockian" this is. It looks more like a German film of the time than British.
Blackmail (talkie version) - First sound feature from England is pretty impressive. Lots of great tricks with sound and not that static.
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) - One of his better British films. Can't go wrong with Peter Lorre as a villain.
The 39 Steps - Not as big of a fan as The Lady Vanishes, but a good thriller. Hannay is kind of a dick, though.
Sabotage - Sometimes brutal between the infamous nitrate fire scene (excerpted in Inglourious Basterds) and the ending.
Young and Innocent - Sort of comes off as a rehash of The 39 Steps, but some cool sequences like this loooong take near the end.
(Still need to see a ton of his British films)

The Lady Vanishes - Absolute perfection. Great story, great characters, and a breathless pace. One of my favorites of his.
Foreign Correspondent - Really good. Some great setpieces like the murder in the rain and the clock tower (one of his best fake-outs ever).
Rebecca - I don't remember much, but it was good. Didn't seem much like a Hitchcock film.
Suspicion - Great up until a stupid ending. Really uncomfortable at times.
Mr. & Mrs. Smith - It's been a while, but I remember it being a charming, even if unimpressive comedy.
Saboteur - Overall silly, but the last act kicks in with a great chase sequence leading up to a pursuit on the Statue of Liberty. Norman Lloyd does crazy well.
Shadow of a Doubt - Another near-perfect movie. Joseph Cotten is absolutely chilling. This would make a good double-feature with Orson Welles' The Stranger.
Lifeboat - I think it's underrated. It makes use of the contrivance of taking place in a lifeboat well. Some odd wartime stuff, though (not exactly German-friendly).
Spellbound - Overall kind of a dumb story. This is the movie with that unintentionally funny slide down a stairwell causing a child to get impaled. This was heavily referenced for Mel Brooks' High Anxiety and to better use.
Notorious - Another classic. Tension is thick, lots of great setpieces, and one of his best cats (Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains).
The Paradine Case - Not seen yet.
Rope - Technically amazing, but the "lol gays" schtick doesn't hold up well.
Under Capricorn - Not seen yet.

Stage Fright - Interesting use of an unreliable narrator, but kind of forgettable. Has one of the worst process shots I've seen in a movie.
Strangers on a Train - Another great one. I like how smugly evil Bruno is played by Robert Walker. Not a bad last movie for anyone.
I Confess - Fascinating for the use of Catholic guilt. Not a great film, but very interesting.
Rear Window - Masterpiece. It's so well acted, shot, edited... it's like a perfectly set watch. Thelma Ritter is hilarious in this.
Dial "M" for Murder - Underrated. A little stagey, but really well done. I'd love to see this in 3-D.
The Trouble with Harry - I don't think it's funny at all and kind of dumb. Still, has some gorgeous Vermont location shooting (the Blu-Ray looks amazing)
To Catch a Thief - High on style, low on substance, but what's not to like about a Grant/Kelly film? I really like the way the opening scene is edited with the cat. Also has Hitchcock's best cameo ever.
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - I don't know if it's better than the original, but still quite good. Takes a while to get going. The Albert Hall scene is excellent (check out Bernard Herrmann's cameo!)
The Wrong Man - Underrated. It's interesting to see Hitchcock try a gritty realistic film. Based on an actual case.
Vertigo - While I think it's an excellent film, it's not one of my favorites.
North by Northwest - Some great setpieces, but kind of bloated. This could have used another round of editing (I think it's his longest film).

Psycho - Masterpiece. I think I like it more with every viewing. It's scary, has some incredible camera work and editing, and it wouldn't have worked without Anthony Perkins' performance. He's brilliant in this.
The Birds - Another near-masterpiece. I like how it builds up as a romantic comedy until the blood starts flying (heh).
Marnie - Didn't care much for this, but it's due for a re-watch.
Torn Curtain - Better than I remembered it. Has a brutal murder scene. Paul Newman and Julie Andrews have good chemistry.
Topaz - Boring, mediocre. Only worth it for a handful of interesting shots, but otherwise trash. Also has John Vernon (Dean Wormer) as not-Castro.

Frenzy - Hitchcock's last masterpiece. Totally inverts his own cliches and it's really clever. Doesn't come off at all like the work of a then-73 year old director.
Family Plot - Not the most intelligent film, but a pretty good suspense comedy. The church scene where they abduct the bishop is hilarious. Also, Bruce Dern stars in it.

good post, you are doing well here and we all appreciate the amount of effort you are putting in at PostCo.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Rear Window is very nearly a perfect film

where the tits

• Locked thread