Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Vargas reminds me of the South American bad guy in Eco Quest 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Wow the animation in that fight.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And this is why Nate will always be poor for what he does. Because being rich in this line of work means you're evil. Nate's too good to be evil!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I love that you can just hold out your hand to move from handhold to handhold while climbing in this game. It makes the entire experience so much more pleasant when you don't have to mash the X button to jump around all the time.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And that's the end of Sam. Nobody in a video game/movie has survived something like that. All the trailer shots of him in later parts of the game were just a hoax, and his presence in the opening boat fight scene was a hallucination.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

And that's the end of Sam. Nobody in a video game/movie has survived something like that. All the trailer shots of him in later parts of the game were just a hoax, and his presence in the opening boat fight scene was a hallucination.

Like Braid, the rest of the game is actually constantly moving backwards until we come across something different in the timeline and interacting with it causes time to resume forward.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Bold new direction, but I approve.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's so disconcerting for Drake to get a new face and then just expect the viewer to recognize him along with all the new faces that they throw at you.

I'm also not sure I like the way how each new Uncharted game has got to up the personal drama for Drake from the last one. Especially since they don't seem to hook into the overall course of the games to make Drake seem like he's growing as a person.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
Man, this really is a gorgeous looking game. Also: that was one hell of an intro chapter. Did any of the other games hold out on guns this far? I know you got a little gunplay in the opening boat scene but not much.

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.

Bruceski posted:

Who knew that Nate is the Raiden to Sam's Solid Snake?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The most important question is can you replay the singleplayer as alternate character skins? All I heard was that there is no longer a Donut Drake outfit, but I dunno if that means in singleplayer in addition to multiplayer.
I'm pretty sure 3 doesn't have that feature.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I wonder if we'll ever know exactly what changed when Amy Hennig left and the other guys took over (unless we already know and I'm the one that doesn't). Apparently they changed a whole lot of what she originally planned, including scrapping some already captured work, and I've always been really curious what it was before because it's not like Uncharted 4 feels radically different from any of the others.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
What was up with the half dozen guards that just didn't have guns during the prison break? Were they all communally smoking in that specific alley when the alarm went and couldn't stop to get guns?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

EponymousMrYar posted:

And this is why Nate will always be poor for what he does. Because being rich in this line of work means you're evil. Nate's too good to be evil!

You have a weird definition of good.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

sout posted:

The most important question is can you replay the singleplayer as alternate character skins? All I heard was that there is no longer a Donut Drake outfit, but I dunno if that means in singleplayer in addition to multiplayer.
I'm pretty sure 3 doesn't have that feature.

Yes, there are alternate skins to unlock for single player, and they stay in the cutscenes this time around since they're all real time! If you've got the Uncharted collection on PS4, they actually added the ability to use skins in UC3.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's
For those who are planning on going to PAX: Amy Hennig is the opening speaker this year!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Homestuck?!

Nerds.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I feel like this opening shows off Rafe better than most of the other new characters. Sam honestly didn't impress me during the intro, other than being Nate's big brother we've never had mention of.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Pfft, that's nothing. Ever get past the tutorial of Deus Ex Human Revolution? Or Splatterhouse?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Sully got rich at the end of the first game.

And honestly? Drake was a bit of a dick just cutting Vargas out of the deal, but Rafe killed Vargas right after Vargas was threatening them all with a gun, which is a thing that Drake will do many, many times throughout his career. When somebody's going to shoot you, that's videogame justification for murdering them.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 12, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also, forgot to mention that it's really cool of them to let you fight a minigun dude hand-to-hand sans armor.

Seriously though, did Gustavo get lost on his way to Mortalk Kombat or is he a secret Jojo character I haven't made it to yet?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
If this game has co-op survival can you do buddy melees there or is that just a single-player experience?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Whelp, I was content to just watch the LP having not played this myself but after this video I think I'm probably going to go pick this up after work tomorrow.

No Man's Sky and Deus Ex were going to be my two games for this month but NMS is sounding like 'wait for a sale' material.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do kinda wonder why the cross needed to be hidden. Instead of "Oh I just found this cross, it's valuable on it's own but no big treasure". Especially since Rafe wants to make sure they have it even though they know about the cathedral already.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bobjr posted:

I do kinda wonder why the cross needed to be hidden. Instead of "Oh I just found this cross, it's valuable on it's own but no big treasure". Especially since Rafe wants to make sure they have it even though they know about the cathedral already.

If this isn't their first time doing a treasure hunt, then they already know that people always hide the keys somewhere far away.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

darealkooky posted:

What was up with the half dozen guards that just didn't have guns during the prison break? Were they all communally smoking in that specific alley when the alarm went and couldn't stop to get guns?

You generally don't give guns to prison guards that are actually going to go into the area prisoners could be or access. That's just a good way to potentially give prisoners the guns.

The actual reason was to reinforce the melee fight mechanics and show that Sam is willing to forgo escape to help Nathan.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

bobjr posted:

Haven't you ever seen a heist movie? Rafe specifically mentioned that the cross is hollow, and you can see it was broken off of something. They're going to have to take that cross and combine it with something else to make a key to get into the real treasure.

Sure, the key itself is worth something, if you just want to stop there. But if you want the REAL money, you have to give up the quick money.

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
Nate's starting to look a lot like George Clooney to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The scene where Sam falls is even more tragic when you play as Donut Drake, I imagine.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Does Donut Drake come with Donut Sam? :v:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I don't think there is a Donut Drake in this game. I remember Naughty Dog saying something about not wanting to make fun of fat people with it and then the internet bitched about SJWs, again.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Nate clearly got all of the dominant bullet resistance genes

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Panama was not a Viceroyalty :argh:

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

GSD posted:

Panama was not a Viceroyalty :argh:

Well, according to Wikipedia, Panama was part of the Viceroyality of Peru until 1821, so :shrug:

Also, are you really expect historical accuracy from a series where the first game included a Nazi submarine somehow having ended up at the top of a waterfall in South America?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Apep727 posted:

Well, according to Wikipedia, Panama was part of the Viceroyality of Peru until 1821, so :shrug:

Also, are you really expect historical accuracy from a series where the first game included a Nazi submarine somehow having ended up at the top of a waterfall in South America?

They covered that, it came from upriver.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

yeah dude, it came from upriver

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Apep727 posted:

Wikipedia must be getting vandalized by dickish history profs again, it was part of New Grenada, not Peru.

Point is that Panama didn't become its own thing until 1903 when the US decided it didn't feel like dealing with the Columbian government re: building a totally sweet new canal. Spanish administration lumped it in with Columbia, Venezuela, and Ecuador, and then it was part of Columbia.

It's kind of weird that Naughty Dog knows the term Viceroyalties in the first place, and then either mistakenly thought Panama was one when there were only four of the things, or just made up that detail for...some reason?

Edit: Ah, I see the confusion, yeah it was part of Peru before New Grenada was formed, and would have still been part of Peru when Avery was sailing around.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 13, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Alternatively its just another Pyrate Falsehood! :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just freakin criminal they used all that old art from the previous games and couldn't fit in The Faces of Victor Sullivan?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That ocean looked soooooooooooooooooooo fuckin' good holy poo poo.

I want these water effects in a pyrate game Real Bad

• Locked thread