Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Great Joe posted:

That last sentence is p. important. I mean, Bulletstorm's Grayson Hunt is a friendly scallywag but also murders a large number of men in a large number of ways. I think he's a pretty cool guy, though.

AND laughs it up while he is doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Seems it'd be a bit unsporting to totally ignore M.I.B the series.

The animation was stylish, it balanced longer plots with one-offs, and the writing was usually alright, and sometimes even clever. Definitely better than the average.

Ir was awesome. I still quote one episode.

"Well, it's time to bring the pain!"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The 2nd to Last of Us

No, REALLY This Time We Promise: This REALLY IS the Last of Us This Time! SERIOUSLY!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

We're all going to have to live with the puns, no matter what we say.

So, you are saying this is NOT The Last of Puns?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zomborgon posted:

Perhaps the next game will follow the way of Ubisoft and have a sailing focus

The Mast of Us

Or they could just keep up with Nate's light fingered ways and have you stealing your way throughout a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

You know...

The Wrast of Us.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Or they could make a fishing sim, once again in a post-apocalyptic world.

The Cast of Us.

(Also makes a handy title for the inevitable Cloud Imperium style documentary about the voice actors involved in the game's creation.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
So, now that we are apparently done with the Naughty Dog game puns, would it be safe to say that is The Last of Them?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Seriously, unless we want to get the thread locked, this needs to be The Last of Puns.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

Yeah, if we keep this up, naughty dog is going to hear about it and hand out bats and stuff to Baker, Johnson, and Danbridge to have them come and beat the snot out of everyone here. And not just those three, but the whole cast of us.

Well, or rather just me. Because, with my knee problems, I guarantee you I am not one of The Fast of Us.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Go ahead, keep this crap up and Chip will lock the thread, and then it will be The Last Of Posts.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think I speak for the rest of us when I say I'm not sorry

bman in 2288 posted:

Can confirm.

Well, Chip, you give us an awesome LP of an awesome game, then wander off to have fun, leaving us unattended...

Frankly, what the hell did you expect?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Really Pants posted:

as a LP reader I am incapable of making my own entertainment

Well, good thing is, when he gets the new post up and all of us amused, it will be the Last of Fuss.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ProfessorYesNo posted:

Brush it off, guy.

There are times like this I really treasure. Sure, they are little things, but treasures nonetheless.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I have two fully working fat PS1's, one that is a Frankenstein made from dead friends that works fully*, a slim that is fine and the 2 dead friends hanging about so I can donate their organs to Frank if he needs them.

Not that I ever play any of them nowadays.

*No idea how.

And people wonder why my WiFi is called "LANOfTheDead". :sigh:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Nintendo products, meanwhile, survive bomb strikes.

Nope. I have an n64 that only boots when the moon is in the right house. I hope, someday, to find out what house that is.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Alternatively: N64s can also survive getting shot by a shotgun

Maybe that's the solution? :iiam:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
So, you would say that would be the Stretch of Us?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SorataYuy posted:

That would be once a century, when the moon is in the Eighth House of Aquarius, by means of a secret rite. But whatever you do, don't let the dim-witted servant mistakenly grab the ketchup bottle instead of the bottle of blood.

drat it! That was the problem! I guess I know where the next batch of blood is coming from then.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Who's a good gun? Who's a good gun? You! YOU'RE A GOOD GUN! Yes, you are! Yes, you are!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ZeeToo posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only one to keep seeing the skull-and-crossbones-with-big-brim-and-three-vertical-lines as the Straw Hat Pirates logo.

No, but it did bring the Dead By Daylight logo to my mind.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Great update, even IF you did post it RIGHT BEFORE I HAD TO LEAVE FOR WORK.

I am consoled, knowing the dedication of Chip and Ironicus, that we wouldn't get up to a major cliffhanger and have the update be The Last of Those.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AriadneThread posted:

my ghost can not rest until every game is gay

Could you get a nap in if every game was bi?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Wheany posted:

Haha, yeah, I also do not watch butt videos on youtube. Or any other site.

Keep saying that, maybe we will believe you. So, you're saying, and let me get this right, for you, it was The Last of Butts then?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Happy New Years everyone! May you find all the treasures you want (but not friendship or that the treasure was inside you all along, because those are lame), may your brother (you almost forgot you had) never betray you, may your STD laden chain cigar smoking pseudo-Uncle always keep his pants firmly zipped and around his waist, and may you not incur the wrath of ANY PMC's this coming year!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

George posted:

Did anyone make an STD joke yet?

Got it covered, yo. That is why I recommend keeping Sully's Skin Solution away from mucous membranes, BTW.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

So before we get back to seeing what Nathan Drake's up to, let's check out something I'm extremely hyped for: Nier: Automata! The demo's been out for a week or so now, but I've just now been able to get time to record it. It's...... really good. Like holy moly.

A Look at the Nier: Automata Demo

Thank you for the lovely news I will be able to play another Platinum game on PC! Looks pretty drat awesome.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

In this episode, Nate finally finds what I believe to be Avery's true treasure.

Episode 20: CM.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

A] Thank you for NOT posting this right before I left for work. And
B] Uncharted 4 showed up on this Censored Gaming list - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDVvqv93CM, which I saw as suggested after the LP.

Also, I know nothing about Uncharted, but, all your talk about supernatural aspects is making me think that Nate is some kind of Loot Revenant.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jan 5, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Meanwhile, I was going to compliment Naughty Dog.

Still will, as a matter of fact. That timing is brilliant.

Having Elena come in right as Nathan's on the ground keeps the player off balance enough that they're fully distracted by the flashback instead of focusing on Sam being an rear end in a top hat with the Alcazar lie. When it's back to the present (with the flashback further showing how much Nate and Sam meant to each other in addition to playing up the central "don't sacrifice your family life for lost pirate treasure" themes) we get a few moments confirming that Nate and Elena's relationship (the one thing at risk the player might be mad at Sam for, since getting shot at by mercenaries is just, for the player, an excuse for more fun setpieces) is still more or less in one piece before the Alcazar thing comes up, which has Nathan call out Sam and make plans to just extract him and go rather than stay on the hunt, finishing off with a reminder that Nathan's lies did endanger his marriage.

It's set up so that a player in the moment, even a picky one, won't have time to criticize the reveal before being sent to a slightly standalone setpiece, after which (with enough time away for the player for it not to feel cheap, while hitting the characters with it the moment after) we get the narrative beats to soften Sam's position while still acknowledging his jackass move.

The game's story isn't perfect, but it's very good at keeping the balls in the air, or at least at making you look away when one's about to hit the ground. I'm not sure if my earlier complaints are rescinded, exactly, but they were made much, much less relevant thanks to how this whole scene was handled. I'm impressed.

But, despite Elena's save, she has put Nathan on notice. She loves him, but will not put up with his crap forever.

"Hey, thanks for the save."
"I almost didn't."

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

There was definitely a group of dudes in the animation team who spent time in the proverbial doghouse with their spouses and had a serious conversation with each other about those times in some kind of semiofficial capacity for them to so, so so SO perfectly nail that i-love-you-but-i-am-seriously-close-to-losing-my-poo poo-here look Elena gives Nate at the end of the update. That really intense wide eyed gaze set in a too-calm face. Oh yeah. I know that look :smith:

Sure a lot of it is facial capture on a Pretty Good actor, but an art team still has to put the finer touches on that stuff. And they are some fine touches in that scene.

That whole scene was amazing. And I mean movie level amazing, not game level.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

You know I thought for a sec that he might be the serpent.
But I think sully predates that by a good long while.

The universe has been formed
Tiny clumps of space dust begin to display one of the universes basic and most common force, Gravity.
In this, the primordial vaccuum of rapidly expanding space, someone complains that dust got into their eye.

:golfclap:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Whew! Glad to hear the last episode is done. I was afraid the prior episode would be The Last of Them.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tippis posted:

No. Bad.
Not again.

Look. This game is a sequel. My joke was a sequel. LastJoke IV: A LastJoker's End.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 22, 2017

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

biosterous posted:

No no, we're already done with watch_dogs!

RAMP THE POOCH! RAMP THE POOCH!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chip Cheezum posted:

Let's get back to it! Nate has one thing in common with Barry Burton... and that's sluice gates.

Episode 21: Sluice Gate.....Cut Commentary.....Baldurdash

So good, but so over. Well, at least they are still talking. As long as they are still talking, there is still hope. gently caress the Libertalian treasure.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

akulanization posted:

Charlie was kind of suddenly and unexpectedly ejected from the plot in uncharted 3, so it's not that big a surprise that they'd cut him out of 4. Which is a shame because I liked the character.

According to IMDb Charlie does appear in 4 multiplayer...

achillesforever6 posted:

Graham Mctavish is a really busy man unfortunately

One guess who the voice is...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Ramos posted:

Once you've been through the husband nerding out over history a few times, you just got to let that stuff run its course.

The more I watch, the more impressed I am with U4 and Naughty Dog. They really don't miss a trick, not with the facial animations or the writing or the damned pretty, but not distracting, graphics.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

asymmetrical posted:

Huh, I read this completely differently. To me, it looks like she's watching Drake and not really listening to what he's saying. Just kinda going "I kinda like this guy a lot," all over again in her heart.

Or reminding herself exactly WHY she loves him the way she does.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, it says something about the writing of a game when a chapter of an archaeological action game, involving a descent into madness, murder, civil war, betrayal, and the mutilation of the dead can leave me with a big old goofy grin on my face...

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ousire posted:

"The brushes that painted their hearts black."

"The fabric that cloaked their treachery."

"The yarn that wove webs of lies."

"The decoupage that masked the tabletop of their treachery."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, all I can say is that seeing this (the only Uncharted LP I have seen) makes me bloody pissed Naughty Dog is only a console developer. And I mean so pissed I had better never met their CEO, or his wedding tackle is getting punted from her to, ohhhh, Libertalia? (And I don't live too far from you wacky kids, C+I. Almost scarily close if my hypothesis is correct.)

• Locked thread