Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Kai Tave posted:

To be fair though, Sully has had four games to get that way. I don't think any antagonist in Uncharted has ever been especially deep.
Rafe probably has the most depth of any in the series. The motivations of the previous three were money, power, and, uh...magic power? (I kinda forget UC3.) Spoiled rich kid playing at a life of adventure is a change from the rest, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Did UC3 have a supernatural element? I thought it turned out to all be :catdrugs: in the water.

bobjr posted:

Imagine if Rafe revealed himself to be Alcazar.
Read this first as "revealed himself to be Archer".

Hey Nadine, would you say this pirate island is some sort of zone...of danger?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The pirate leaders all escaped to the one place that isnt corrupted by imperialism.

SPACE

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ometeotl posted:

It's high time someone admits that a game can have flaws pointed out and still be a liked game.
Why is it a flaw for a character to make a bad decision?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Quiet Python posted:

If Nate is 40 in Uncharted 4, how old does that make Sully?
Sully was born with a full head of grey hair and a mustache. Doctors still aren't certain where he got the cigar in there.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

That jump-swing-punch move was :sicknasty: and straight-up Indiana Jones.

Shame on not picking up any Condors during the cave fight, though. :colbert:

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 5, 2017

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Yes, the motherfuckin Condor :hellyeah:

Zomborgon posted:

I'm pretty sure that the compass arrow was way out of sight from Libertalia.

That could actually be a far more reasonable test for potential residents, actually, seeing as going to an unknown destination given only a vector would be a decent test of sea navigation.
The last clue was a spyglass on the compass island, which Nate saw the Libertalia island from.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

To me the big ~*~ludonarrative dissonance~*~ in the games isn't the killing, it's the whole recurring theme about how treasure hunting is dangerous and Nate could die. Because in the gameplay, he literally can't. Just about every jump he does is insanely dangerous and would probably kill someone who wasn't the PC of an shooter-platformer, but in the game they're all just simple navigational obstacles. The peak of this for me is in the chapter where you're heading back to the plane and Nate has decided he no longer wants to risk his life on this, and then a few minutes later, with everyone's full cooperation and consent, makes a fifteen foot leap over a chasm to grab the other edge by the skin of his teeth. For someone actually concerned about safety, it would be insane, but the game never treats it as anything but Nate's normal way of moving about.

So it creates this weird situation where in the actual plot of the game Nate is a mortal human being who we should empathize with his wife's concern for his safety, while in gameplay he's Superman and will never miss a jump or be killed in a gunfight unless the cutscenes dictate it. And unlike the killing thing, that part isn't optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

chitoryu12 posted:

Nate can't die doing his dangerous stunts (minus the player loving up and restarting from a checkpoint) because the game ends there. This critique applies to literally every action game in which the player character isn't killed off midway through.
Right, but most of them don't make a major running theme of everyone in the game being concerned that the main character will die. Like, Elena's entire emotional arc in this game is based around the idea that everything Nate does in the pursuit of treasure is risking his life. From the player's perspective, though, all that perilous climbing is a straightforward way of getting from point A to point B, and the most dangerous moments in character are for us amusing little cutscenes where Nate shouts "Oh crap!"

I'm not saying this is a game killer or anything - I think I enjoy UC4 most of all the series, in fact - it's just something that stuck out to me. Particularly in the last video, where he has a heart to heart with Elena about not risking his life and then immediately makes a dozen death-defying stunts that a normal man would die trying any one of.

• Locked thread