Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Pretty impressed with the way the clothing wrinkles in real time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Apep727 posted:

I'll admit, I won't be surprised if Nathan's real surname isn't Drake, and that he has - at best - a tenuous tie to Sir Francis from his mother's side. I always got the feeling it was just a story he made up, and his fascination with treasure hunting and explorers/adventurers seems to support it.

They basically say as much in the third game. Someone did a background check on Nathan and his only connection to Drake is the one in his head.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That "4 Hour Baby Game" ending! :argh:

I'm still working on the "Go outside" achievement, where you have to not play the game for 5 years.

You can set your computer's clock ahead to get that one. The achievement I love is the one you actively have to cheat to get.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

It doesn't make you shoot that person though. You chose to play the game. That is the choice you are making. It's easier to blame the game than it is to just stop playing, which says a lot about just how used gamers are to the violence and how obendient they are to things those games ask of them.

This doesn't seem like the right thread to be arguing about the meaning of Spec Ops: The Line.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It's like an actually good version of Heavy Rain up in here.

And by the way, why were you confused that there was only one cargo container underwater when you could see the truck tires right there?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Drake was disappointed that all he found was copper but for real that much copper you would be rich if you sold a whole spool of that off to sombody.

But then the same thing is true about Drake's bookends. I don't think making a lot of money is on his priority list at this point.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think the first stages of Armstrong from Metal Gear Revengeance was a good way to handle a boss fight. You can connect some hits, but the damage bar barely goes down as compared to what happens when he hits you. It's an unwinnable bossfight masquerading as an extremely hard normal fight that continues the story when you inevitably lose.

The trouble in this case is that Drake has one specific way to connect that isn't a normal attack, and the only other way to fight back is through the cutscene QTEs.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Fish Noise posted:

I understand that rifling has also been a thing for quite a while, at least as far back as the 1700s, they were simply relegated to things like hunting purposes for a long time since to get anything out of the rifling, you need a tight fitting ball, and if you thought ramming a tight fitting ball down a smoothbore was already a hell of a time, oh boy.

That, and for a long time rifling a barrel was too expensive and time-consuming to produce in the numbers an army needed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bruceski posted:

Currents go in a loop, it's not a two-way highway. I asked the same question recently when my uncle got a boat through the Panama Canal, why he didn't just sail it home rather than putting it on a freighter, and the answer's that for the Pacific Ocean while he could have sailed from Seattle to Panama easily (nautically speaking, it's still a long trip) the return trip would need him to loop out to Hawaii to ride the current home.

Looking at that map, if they tried to sail straight down the African coast they'd run head-on into the Benguela current.

Incidentally, the Gulf Stream is how the Portuguese discovered Brazil independently of Columbus a few years later. One of their trading captains sailed a bit farther west than normal and discovered land.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Those bells played the first four notes of Dies Irae.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

They already put Jaws on wheels. Or, to be specific, Spielberg put an evil, unstoppable truck in the water.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Threepwood's Tales outfit is based directly on his second game appearance, anyway. And it is his most piratical outfit, so no wonder everyone keeps reusing it.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Mazed posted:

Looking at all those dapper pirate motherfuckers, has there been anything which featured a pirate crew that was nothing but sharp-dressed gentlemen and/or ladies with nary an eyepatch nor peg-leg nor utterance of "yarr", yet otherwise played completely straight as to their maritime domain and marauding inclinations?

Do Errol Flynn swashbuckling movies count?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Wow, Nathan got so injured he actually slowed down to a human level of climbing speed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Quicksilver6 posted:

Guybrush Threepwood is involved. Obviously Libertalia and all the super statues are related to The Secret of Monkey Island (TM)!

Big Whoop!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I think them being related would have been fine, but only so long as it wasn't a shocking revelation or anything. The whole flashback plot would have to be completely different, though, so for how they scripted everything it's probably better that they weren't.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Apep727 posted:

Okay, I'm going to get a bit personal here:

I'm an aspiring writer. I want to write fiction, and get paid for it. I want to see stuff with my name on it in book stores and libraries. I like writing, and like to think that I'm pretty good at it.

So when you jokingly compared my narrative sensibilities to George Lucas's (and I think we all know which of his movies you're referencing) I got offended. You might have meant that as a joke, but it's not funny to me. You're not just making fun of my opinion, you're making fun of a core part of who I am.

But hey, you got a chuckle out this, and that's all that really matters, right?

Screw you, you goddamn troll.

Mate, take it from someone who's already been where you are now: either develop a thick skin or get good at faking it, because random comments by strangers on the internet is easy mode when it comes to negative criticism.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Why did they lift that bookcase instead of pushing it away from the door? I understand gating the player, but that one struck me as weird.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Popsicle is a registered trademark, and the company gets awfully steamed when people use it as a generic term.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

You know, the town is full of archaeological discoveries, the mansions are in pretty good shape and aren't going anywhere, and the location is fairly easy to reach with a helicopter. On top of that, it's pretty clear the Drakes aren't in this for the money anymore, so why doesn't Rafe call a truce, hold a press conference, and then come back later with an army of archaeologists?

I guess it's good that the game has established that Rafe is Captain Poor Life Choices, because the hunt for Avery's treasure is getting increasingly pointless as they explore Libertalia.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

It's worth saying that Rafe also has some serious "penitent/unpenitent thief" parallels going for him, too, enough that Sam won't necessarily have to die unredeemed to fulfill the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this is the explanation given directly by the developers.

Hell, that's officially what hit points represent in D&D since the first edition. A fighter with a lot of hit points can't be stabbed in the chest more often, he's just better at avoiding being stabbed in the chest.

• Locked thread