Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

achillesforever6 posted:

The Mummy Returns is also good fun even though the CGI has aged terribly;

has the greatest NOoooooooooooooooooooo scene put on film too
The Darth Vader NO is still more ridiculous given how that character was portrayed in the original trilogy. That Mummy movie is pretty camp by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The character animations in this game are amazing...during that section of the prison break it looks like almost a movie set. You can tell a lot of effort was put into making those animations flow in a pretty amazing way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I knew there would be a sequel but it seems like a bad idea story-wise. I thought that game ended pretty perfectly

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The whole story seemed like an appropriate one for what is basically the twilight of humanity and I'm not sure where they go after this plot-wise that will be interesting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Those are American P-47 Thunderbolts which were also WWII era

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Last I heard there was a report that Valve tried a few different approaches with HL3 and none of them were up to their standards. So as of now nothing is happening with that. I don't think we will ever get it at this point. October is the 10th anniversary of the release of the Orange Box for God's sake

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not sure if it's still online but one of the lead devs for Mafia 2 quit after 2K screwed with his game and spilled the beans about the messy production that game had. I was a huge fan of the original (mostly for the story), but 2 was a giant disappointment. The story has no real resolution (I think maybe in the DLC it was added?), you have to go back and forth across the same map multiple times during the same mission while being careful not to speed, and I thought the characters sucked.

In the original Mafia the protagonist gets involved with the Mob because he drove a taxi during the Depression which gets destroyed by one Mob family. Basically to make ends meet he joins up with the other family and things go from there. The characters are way more fleshed out than in 2. It's actually a perfect Mob story because while it does initially play up the money and glamour things eventually go downhill when greed and paranoia take over and characters have to take sides against each other. It's very underrated IMO. The gameplay is dated now but at the time it was great.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I also didn't like how Mafia 2 has the two main characters re-enact the epilogue scene from the original. In the original it was both sad and brutal, but the way they do it in the sequel as a one-off mission is not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I really, really did not like that last boss fight. The timing was not good and I had a really hard time for whatever reason judging what direction the attacks were coming from. I can't tell you how many attempts I had to make on it. It's frustrating that they never introduced this beforehand as a game mechanic.

I'm also kind of torn on whether it was a better idea to kill Sam at the end or not. I'm find with how it ended, but it did seem like they were trying for a theme of 'obsession can lead you to your doom' which they had going on the entire game with Sam but in the end he survives.

Otherwise the game is very good, but I do think it drags out a bit too much at the beginning with the flashbacks. They did serve as alright tutorials but it went on a bit too long.

Some other general comments:

-I wish there was more Sully in this game, as he is the character with Nate most of the rest of the series, and he seems to have been sidelined due to the inclusion of Sam. It does make sense to a degree since the character is older, but it's a bit disappointing that the last time he really appears in a playable sequence it's mostly for the conversations and you don't have any gameplay beyond pulling and jumping.

-The Madagascar sequence where you are hanging onto the truck is amazing and I wish there was more of that in this game, it improves on the section from Uncharted 3 where you use the horse to get around a convoy of vehicles.

-The game looks absolutely amazing, no doubt about it. They really took advantage of the move to next gen.

-I felt like the gunplay was less frustrating in this game compared to some of the earlier ones. I didn't have to restart sections nearly as often as I did in the others. I think it's the most satisfying combat of the series.

• Locked thread