Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So i stopped watching this LP around Christmas because i got the game as a gift from my uncle (who is also the person who introduced me to the franchise and took it from and took it from bland amalgamation to wonderfully detailed adventure), and i decided I'd play through it and see the ending for myself. I'll of course finish the LP, because it's wonderful, but i have to say now, watching the credits, this goddamn epilogue brought me to tears. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's after Mad Max. The people in Nier are like the world after one of Drakengards apoclypses and are trying to put their poo poo back together and kinda have up and now mostly try to live off the land and not get murdered by monsters or robots or whatever. Dark Id did LPs of nier and Drakengard and you should read them.

Automata looks fun as balls though. Gonna have to download that when i get home so i can suck at it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Evelyns death and the boys going on the lamb has to happen to propel the boys further on their street urchin careers. It's the final severing of ties to their current lives that lets them go adventuring. It's not in believable that Sam and Nate would be connected to the break in considering Sams record and Nate's inevitable missing persons report from the orphanage. The cops sporting them is just a dramatic way of reinforcing it and the thing breaking instead of just being spotted by the cops is just more drama.

And the million cops responding to a not too serious crime is the most realistic thing. That house costs a gajillion dollars. Of course the cops will respond in force.

Also i thought Evelyn would end up being Rafes grandmother of something.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's a pretty classic thing to have the hero be roped into one last adventure more or less against his will. It helps makes the protagonist appear more sympathetic and less greedy, which is why Sam can't just ask Nate for help finding the treasure for fun and profit. The narrative becomes more than just Find The Treasure and instead becomes Save Sam's Neck (By Having a Treasure Adventure). Nate lies to Elena for all the reasons we lie to someone we love, ie, because we want to protect them from truth and by them we mean us and by the truth we mean how they'll react to the truth. He starts to get the old team of thieves back together and they go on an adventure, which is motivated by a wholly good thing and not just finding treasure.

Sam is motivated by ego and pride. HE wants to finish his family work, and he wants it to be Drake/Morgan boys to find the treasure, not the insufferably whiny Rafe and entirely motivated by money Nadine. Sam may also like a giant pool of gold to swim in like a McDuck, but he does genuinely give a gently caress about the history of the whole thing. If you go back and watch a lot of the discoveries with Sam with the foreknowledge that his neck isn't on the line, it's way more obvious he's both in love with the chase and the history. Dudes been into pirates since before he knew his mom was a Super Historian. Then he finds out that his dearly departed mother may have found the trail of a massive Secret Pirate Treasure. Imagine what that does to a kid who is, what? In his late teens? Dude feels like this ordained from on high, and then he gets stuck in a Panamanian prison for fifteen years.

Also Nate has probably been beating himself up over Evelyn's death his entire life and numbing the pain with copious amounts of thievery, daring-do, gunfights, no safety free climbing, and cursed ancient treasures.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Yeah, it's entirely relevant that Evelyn's last communication with her family is like years old and it's her son telling her to go gently caress herself, and stay out of his family's life. Evelyn is to stand in for what could happen to Nate if he pushes Sully and Elena away for the sake of adventure, fame, glory, and mountains of pirate treasure. It's where Rafe is headed, presuming he doesn't serve as final boss or meet his end in some poetic, thematically fitting end. Nate could end up there too, if he pushes his family away. Assuming he doesn't join the mouldy old pirate bones.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Sully may not have been in the ideal career to be a father, but he probably broke off ties with Marlowe after he the incident when he met Nate. Sully is still a great dude who taught Nate how to properly light a cigar, pour a beer, and steal a man's wallet, watch and girlfriend.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
If you look carefully, throughout countless pieces of historical record, you can find mention or image of a tall, grey haired man, with a preference for bright shirts and cigars. He is, when mentioned, inevitably recorded as a thief, of both valuables and of the beautiful wives of the rich and powerful.

Sully was the third thief at the crucifixion, the Third Thief, The Thief Who Didn't Get Caught.

E: Dunno if this has been mentioned before in the thread, but did you know that Dismas isn't actually a canonized catholic saint? Dudes not even named in the New Testament. You can thank Nicodeemus for that one.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It wasn't actually "let there be light" as much as it was "where'd that goddamn lighter get to? Ah, there it is."

Also i'm seeing a lot of Sully jokes but ya'll seem to forget that his name is Victor 'Goddamn!' Sullivan and i'm not seeing nearly enough goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
As I think I mentioned towards the middle of the LP, this games epilogue made me cry. Its so wonderful. Especially the dog.

• Locked thread