Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
A significant part of the player base of The Line still didn't get what it was going for after all that you described as "heavy handed", so it was by and large still too subtle in getting its message across. I guess you can describe that as "failing".

Yes, people are THAT dense.

edit: i was extremely tempted to write gamers instead of people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Its almost the worst cliche TV bullshit; the worst is of course "He's/She's standing right behind me isn't she/he?"

That one's kinda okay if it's played for humour instead of drama

but only once.

edit: and also if it's not actually said out loud

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Since Nate doesn't know he lives in a cover-based shooter with regenerating health and he's dealing with murderous psychopaths he might be concerned about, y'know, his wife's life or something

edit: there's literally no way Elena wouldn't muscle her way into the operation if he told her what it's about

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

If he doesn't know by this point the boy may be a little slow.

Well yeah, but them's the breaks on being a protagonist, you're not allowed to notice unless you're Deadpool.

I mean we all know Elena's going to be involved in this whole mess later on anyways, but again, Drake doesn't know he lives in a scripted piece of entertainment media

edit: to be honest, i wouldn't notice either with the amount of detail in that house i'm living in, it's VERY convincing

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bman in 2288 posted:

So we've seen the swords, but where's the worm?

Noooo you don't want to go there, you face the risk that Sully delivers the punchline to that one

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

They keep walking without rhythm.

You mean, like this?
http://i.imgur.com/z70pKqs.gifv

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With the amount of detail the game has demonstrated so far, i am somehow sorely disappointed that we don't see any inertia drag on Sam when Drake steers the boat around.

It seems like the kind of thing this game would do.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was expecting The Second to Last of Us. Missed opportunity.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're lovely people, Joel

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
god damnit

Please accept my sincere apology, i just wanted to make a fun pun about a game, i didn't mean to spawn three pages of the worst posting this side of The Dark Id's threads. :cry:

Please come back Chip

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I agree that Nadine's invincibility and general inactivity in the conversations is pretty annoying. Where I thought the game was going to go is "hey, gently caress this guy, you're a smart lady and are in this for the money, join us and we'll share the treasure with you" and then Nadine becomes a Friend To The Drakes and thus actually plot-invincible like Sully Elena et al. Y'know, play to her interests in a last ditch attempt to stop getting chucked out of windows by her. Maybe not now that the brothers Drake have killed a lot of her people, but earlier on perhaps. But it's obvious they're not going that direction and imo the story is less interesting with her stuck as a generic bad guy.

Uh, didn't you watch the video? The reason for why she won't team up with the Drakes even at the start of the game was revealed just then.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Please do not bring For Real things into character evaluations, or we'll have to take a look at Nate's by now four digit head count on various murder charges for the umpteenth time

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Everything in that demo looks fantastic, except for the character interactions. I really couldn't care less about 2B and 9S, their dialogue was banal and bland, and in no way justified the drama in the climax, resulting in the entire thing feeling extremely forced and :rolleyes:-worthy. For human-like AIs/cyborgs, they acted more like what C-list actors think robots are like. Let's just use strangely out-of-place honorifics and occasionally intersperse dialogue with *beep boop no emotions allowed* lines, while still allowing an overdramatic singular sacrifice/rescue scene.

I'm holding out hope that all or most of this can be blamed on the constraints of a demo presentation. As i said, everything else seems fantastic. Let me especially fanboy over the fact that you can uninstall your own OS for a self-induced Game Over. Even if this function never sees any practical story use in the full game, it's the most Yoko Taro feature to put in the game, and i love it.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh and if you want to hear entertainingly written AI vs AI dialogue, you should play The Fall, it's pretty short and currently also pretty cheap.

Most of the interactions between the AI actors in that game left a smile on my face.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am so ready for Nathan + Elena buddy combat animations

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe he should take up treasure hunting instead of writing, because he sure keeps digging like a champ.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

I am so ready for Nathan + Elena buddy combat animations

The wait was so long, but worth every second

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I like how Sam is the only person who doesn't get the symbolism in this game.

He's new to this, it's his first gig. All the others are seasoned veterans from all the way back to the first game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi posted:

If I never see the phrase ludonarrative dissonance again I will have lived a fantastic life.

What else would you call it from now on

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Spec Ops: the Line is good, but this isn't really the place to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Imagine being so loving sick of people pointing out the blatantly obvious unrealistic parts of a video game. Like Chris Redfield punching a boulder into lava.

Sounds like a miserable existence so i'll pass, thanks

• Locked thread