Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Aw hell yiss I finally noticed one of these before it was months in.

I kinda sorta ruined this game by attempting the highest difficulty. It's not very well balanced, it turns out. Fortunately, every playstyle other than the mindless trophy-grabbing one (believe me, there are some head-scratchers (and some good ones, don't worry)) results in the game being hella fun.

Honestly, if Uncharted scrapped difficulty modes and weird trophies and embraced adaptive challenge like Crash Bandicoot did it could've been even better than it is.

Why can't I just unilaterally praise video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

morallyobjected posted:

don't they already do this? at least in terms of making it easier by giving you ammo/removing enemies if you die too much?

The closest I found to this were some generous mid-fight checkpoints; I can't say I ever noticed ammo replenishing or enemies disappearing. Besides, aren't adaptive difficulty and scaling difficulty modes kind of opposed? Like, what would be the point of having a hardest difficulty if every time you died the encounter got a little easier?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Just checking in to note how much I loving love the Pirates-of-the-Caribbean-rear end music track that plays during the drawbridge encounter (once you go loud). It's so good. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing that it only plays twice, ever.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 2, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Funfact: If, after coming out of the tower and seeing the "that's definitely Sam's tower" cutscenes, you stand perfectly still for 30 seconds, you get a trophy.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I can't wait to see what terrible secret Libertalia hides.

Really Pants posted:

One word: Bitdoubloons.

You jest, and yet.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Why do I get the feeling that someone in this episode had just watched Sherlock?

Anyway, yeah. I'm starting to think that Naughty Dog is officially specializing in trojan-ing in new developments in animation and expression by way of passable-to-excellent action games.

It's long been a lament of mine - and I think of several of the higherups at Naughty Dog - that you basically can't ever see a game with this level of animation, technology and production values that isn't a setpiece shooter of some kind. The closest ND ever came was The Last of Us, which itself wasn't beyond occasionally locking you in a room and forcing you to shoot your way out. Uncharted 4 lets you stealth into several encounters, and even stealth past certain encounters, but... nope. It's fundamentally just a pretty great shooter (which falls apart on higher difficulties).

I don't think there's any other people who make games like this, where the main draw of a setpiece-action game is the story cutscenes, and not even just for the story, but for the acting, and for the technology by which the acting is portrayed in-engine. The only other example I can think of is Mafia III, which has a real good plot and pretty good voice acting stapled onto a moderately-okay open world sandbox which is mostly devoid of much interactivity (possibly deliberately). Quantic Dream think they're all that, and I guess their one demo of the sad old man was pretty nice, but they utterly fail to sell the fruits of all their labour as anything resembling human once it's all packaged into a videogame. Meanwhile, Naughty Dog don't fill the back of the box and 100% of their marketing with talk about how amazing and incredible their character models are, they just low-key stick all this amazing Emotion Technology into this dinky little action game and wait.

Games are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It's a tad late for the timing to be utterly perfect but uh this happened

https://twitter.com/verizon/status/828425999121530882

• Locked thread