Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This is the best Uncharted. Hands down it's the best one. It plays the best and it has the best story. Plus there's one bit in a video or two that's freaking amazing and will never stop being amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

They've pretended to kill Sully in every game thus far.

Not in 2, but he was barely in 2 to begin with.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I would play the gently caress out of a game of Elena going around to places for her travel guides and running into unexpected problems

A side mission involves going to a game shop and trying to find a copy of Valkyrie Profile that doesn't cost $200.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Apep727 posted:

Calm down. This is an adventure franchise, not a thriller or horror franchise. Nothing too bad is going to happen to Nate or Elena - that's not how the genre works. I mean, they've fake-killed Sully three times now.

*two

He was never fake killed in Uncharted 2. He was barely in Uncharted 2 at all.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Apep727 posted:

No, three. They fake killed him twice in Uncharted 3 - once at the beginning and once at the end.

Oh right, I forgot about the bit in the beginning. My mistake.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

"Despite this being the last game, I guess there's still going to be one more Uncharted LP maybe."

Yeah Chip. When the hell you LPing the Vita one?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

I think unwinnable boss fights are okay if you go back and fight them later and win. The said Beatrix fights in FF9 are loving awful because at no point do you feel like you're making progress with her. She just pulls out that instawin no matter what, and even in the third and final fight you never actually beat her.

Compare this to Anubis in ZOE/ZOE2. Yes, okay, it takes an entire other game to actually get there, but it feels really good when you do beat Anubis, because you were given a clear power level and a clear progression. "Hey, this guy kicked my rear end last time, but this time I'm holding my own" and then "Hey now I'm winning, I'm awesome." This is the first time we've met Nadine, and right now we've been given a clear example of what she is capable of. Give it time, maybe in another half dozen videos or so we'll see exactly how far we've gone (i say like i havent played this game and know whats about to happen).

From a gameplay perspective, yes, unwinnable boss fights can be annoying and seems like it's just the director going "Nah nah I have a SUPER AWESOME character", but from a cinematic standpoint they work pretty well. Uncharted is, if nothing else, an homage and modernization of Indiana Jones, which was itself an homage and modernization of old adventure serials. So of course they're going to bring in some fights you're not designed to win. There's at least one fight per movie Indy struggles with.

What I think is dumb is the whole reason why they're fighting. All Drake has to do is pull out his pockets and show that he doesn't have the cross. I guess it's to show that he's getting back into the whole adventuring life, but once you've been getting your rear end kicked for a minute straight I think even then he'd just go "I DON'T HAVE IT PLEASE STOP HITTING MY FACE".

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Achievement is everything in a video game, except weird experimental ones.

Every thing in almost every video game is based around a feeling of achievement. Uncharted does this by giving you a platforming challenge or a room full of dudes to shoot / stab / punch to death. Tetris does this by giving you a score to beat. Animal Crossing does this by giving you bigger houses. Minecraft does this with better digging and building materials. There's always some carrot dangling in front of you to keep going until the end, and if there's no end then to just keep playing the game. People who enjoy games tend to put more investment into them, not saying "Kratos got killed" but "I died". To pull this achievement out from a player is basically the game cheating, which tends to put a lot of people off.

This may or may not have a thematic or narrative reason, either. It certainly doesn't in FF9 with Beatrix, who is simply there to go "Haha look these guys lost AGAIN" essentially. But since a player is playing for a sense of achievement, unwinnable boss fights can be very annoying. I don't find them too bad if, like I said, I go back to that boss and get to see my power progression throughout the game, but I understand why people don't think like this. You've invested all this knowledge about a game, all these skills, and the game basically says "They're useless now, you can't win because we're essentially cheating". That isn't fun in a medium that's entirely dedicated to testing these skills and this knowledge you've accumulated over the course of several hours in order to accomplish a goal you're working towards.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guess he was too afraid of that actually happening to joke about it.

That and he already did it in the first game.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Xinder posted:

I hope it's a terrible weapon. But it's probably not.

Any gun that's gold-yellow instead of white is typically a one-shot type that holds very little ammo. Sometimes if you only nick a guy in the arm it's a two-shot, but for the most part yellow-gold guns are one shotters.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

One thing I've always appreciated about the Uncharted games, especially the ones after the first one (but that one did it too to a lesser extent), are the breather moments you get after big elaborate setpieces, gunfights, and puzzles. While there wasn't a lot of action going on in Scotland, you were still doing things that were dangerous. The puzzles in Avery's Test Your Might cave were cool, there was a lot of platforming, some small gunfights and then a big huge setpiece (one of my favorite in the game) where you're having a huge gunfight while the final chamber crumbles around you, and you have to leap from crumbling pillar to crumbling pillar while also shooting dudes, so it was pretty strenuous. Then the game very nicely puts you in an area where it not only takes a while to get to any fight at all, but also is huge, pretty to look at, and makes it fairly obvious where to go next, complete with little stops to find treasures and collectables. There's no real danger, no real threat, just you, your buds, and a 4X4 with a winch. It's a good juxtaposition with all the action going on, and Uncharted 4 does it the best out of any of the games.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

As console garbage who doesn't do a lot of gaming on the PC, I'm perfectly fine with playing shooters with a controller, but I understand that people playing PC games for years are far better at shooting than me.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

Or he just has a lot of PTO saved up.

Judging from the fact that he's basically second in command and has been working there a while, probably without taking any time off since that would mean missing sweet dives in the Hudson river, this is probably the case.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

More relevant to Uncharted, it's been confirmed that the DLC to this game is a standalone, which means it won't require owning the base game to play. It's also going to be starring Chole, who will be working with Nadine, and it's taking place in India.

I really hope Cutter's in it too, to be Nathan to Chole's Sully, because let's face it, if anyone can out-nerd Nate on old obscure historic facts, it's Charlie Cutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Not Quite the Last of Us.

• Locked thread