Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like the pacing in this game compared to the others

you can tell they took a lot from tlou with them into this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

Don't play Uncharted 4 on the hardest difficulty. When I played it on Crushing to platinum it there's a fight near the end that took me a full two and a half hours. Of course, there's also the fact that modes harder than Normal Moderate deincentivize the great run-and-gun gameplay of the series.

it is nice that you can actually stealth through most of this game tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Crash Team Racing 2 through 18

edit: In this universe Crash Team Racing is actually a long-beloved series akin to Need for Speed or Burnout

crash team racing is already similar to burnout in this universe in that they don't make them anymore

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I finished the level but elena's score was higher than mine so nothing in the scene changed iirc

idk what happens if you beat her score, or even if you can

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the darkness games were better than the comic they're based on by a lot as well

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

Yuuuuup. Someone mentioned earlier that because this is an adventure game, you won't see Elena horribly murdered in front of Nathan or anything. But it looks like their homey normal lifestyle is going to be murdered all the same.

well yea, there wouldn't be a game if nate just stayed at home

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sliding and shooting is mostly done in multiplayer, tho it doesn't happen that much there tbh. unless they added some more sliding spots in the dlc maps (never played those)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

malkav11 posted:

The combat seems way better paced in this one than the previous three. I completely refused to finish the first Uncharted after how bullet spongy the enemies were and how much of a slog the fights were as a result, and even in 2 and 3, which were better about it, it felt like any given combat sequence was going to be a minimum of like 7-8 minutes, often substantially more. Here we still haven't seen one take more than, like...4.

the combat has become infinitely better across the games. uncharted 4 definitely has the best combat in the series. they've definitely gotten a lot better at this stuff over time. I wasn't a fan of combat in the previous uncharted stuff, tlou was much better but mostly just serviceable to me (I liked it more in the mp), and now in u4 they've improved it again. this game has the best gunplay they've ever done

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo this is the best looking area in the whole game. like drat they did an amazing job with this place

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kalonZombie posted:

One thing I've always appreciated about the Uncharted games, especially the ones after the first one (but that one did it too to a lesser extent), are the breather moments you get after big elaborate setpieces, gunfights, and puzzles. While there wasn't a lot of action going on in Scotland, you were still doing things that were dangerous. The puzzles in Avery's Test Your Might cave were cool, there was a lot of platforming, some small gunfights and then a big huge setpiece (one of my favorite in the game) where you're having a huge gunfight while the final chamber crumbles around you, and you have to leap from crumbling pillar to crumbling pillar while also shooting dudes, so it was pretty strenuous. Then the game very nicely puts you in an area where it not only takes a while to get to any fight at all, but also is huge, pretty to look at, and makes it fairly obvious where to go next, complete with little stops to find treasures and collectables. There's no real danger, no real threat, just you, your buds, and a 4X4 with a winch. It's a good juxtaposition with all the action going on, and Uncharted 4 does it the best out of any of the games.

uncharted 4 is more downtime than not I think. I like it personally but some people prefer the more active pace in, say, uncharted 2

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's not that hard to aim with a controller. it's just that if you aren't used to it, you'll struggle with the controls. I have the opposite problem where I started playing pc games a lot later than console stuff and I've always been worse at that then using a controller to do the same stuff

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

These elaborate details just make me think Naughty Dog is moving in to claim Kojima's crown. If Nathan knocked over an ice bucket, I wouldn't bet against the cubes melting at different rates based on proximity to each other.

well they have been getting better at implementing stealth into their games...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he has a gun so he'd just parry everything

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I find that this where the game goes from very good to great. really good set piece and the character interactions are all great

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that happened in uncharted 3 but it isn't why he's not around here

anyway I don't see why you need to kill someone off just because they aren't relevant anymore. that'd be like having the picture with tenzin at the beginning of this game have drake remark how he died offscreen or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

everyone I've heard talk about watch dogs 2 seems to like it, so good on ubisoft for doing it better this time around

tho if assassin's creed has taught us anything, it's that every good game is followed with a bad one so the next game will be an uninspired mess

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we already know what it is

the world's most expensive theme park

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

malkav11 posted:

Perhaps a...Jurassic park?

you have no idea how down for that I am. if they ever bring nathan drake back, I want them to drop him in increasing ridiculous and impossible situations

or like just have nate and friends randomly in different settings with no explanation given; they're just there as though they always were. I remember people wanting nathan fillion to play drake in any uncharted movie that might happen, but I say go the other way and make drake a spaceship captain

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that guy that said libertalia sunk because it was too heavy was right

turns out the pirate paradise is also atlantis and the prologue was actually there to teach you how to swim for the endgame

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

libertalia was sea world the whole time

the final boss is shamu with a pirate's hat and eyepatch

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spatula City posted:

Apparently Ellie's the playable character of this one, if that makes any difference.

I was actually hoping that'd be the case from the trailer but it's nice to have confirmation

it also just makes sense and is really the only way I can see the sequel working

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ellie and joel take to the high seas as pirates in the mast of us

better grab your super shotgun ellie! all hell breaks lose when joel signs a pact with satan in the faust of us

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder if in some alternate reality, there's a version of this thread where people don't spend pages making incredibly lame puns

that'd be the contrast of us

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think I speak for the rest of us when I say I'm not sorry

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

saint you upset about all these bad puns, dismas

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

my old ps1 slim worked at least until this year when I gave it away

the lovely third party screen that was attached to it didn't tho

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a few seconds after that, jesus swivels down into the ground because his feet are still attached to the cross

bad move, jesus

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that set piece is def my favorite in uncharted 4. I like it a lot

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Theres only one supernatural element in this game and it's during the final boss between Sam, Rafe and Nadine when Drake climbs up the scary looking mountain and charges up his marital ring to deliver the Golden Super Nova Love Love Flying Squirrel Punch that splits the island in two. The power was inside him all along.

there are worse ways to go than the g gundam ending

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

So is Nadine's superpower to be as destructive to historical landmarks as Nate is, and did this power factor in at all in Sam ditching Rafe & co to go find his brother?

This is really important for me to know, tia.

npcs have infinite ammo so that's anyone with a rocket launcher's super power in uncharted

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bman in 2288 posted:

Good point, that is a really powerful power. But I meant more along the lines of "every historic place her people go to get destroyed".

that's the "I don't understand how archaeology works but I have a lot of explosives" power

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the nier demo is pretty much everything I could have hoped for in a follow up to the last game (ie, it's nier but with better gameplay). def looking like an early goty contender, at least for me

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Samizdata posted:

According to IMDb Charlie does appear in 4 multiplayer...

he is in the mp and I used to use him a lot on the hero side

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sam's basically what nate was before this game

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the ending is a bollywood dance with the cast of the entire series, sorry to disappoint

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

obviously because I spoiled the ending

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

being arguably the best final boss in a series known for having terrible final bosses doesn't stop it from being awful

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he went from not wanting sully along at the beginning of the game to realizing that sully was the best treasure hunting partner at the end. the most important lesson nate could convey to his brother was received loud and clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Of course, it could just be a whole lot more ham-handed than that; people keep saying there's two sets of thieves between Sam and Nate, or Rafe and Sam, but the allegory the game cannot stop hammering on is Jesus' crucifixation, which has three characters. I'm saying Nathan Drake might have been intended to be a Christ-like figure rescuing his brother and damning Rafe for his greed, but that feels so...hokey, especially when Sam is not particularly penitent.

sully was jesus, nate was the penitent thief, sam was the cross itself

that's why the beam fell on him

• Locked thread