Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Love that shot of the moon. It's almost the right size!

I also love that you're still offering video downloads, since I feel the YouTube encodes don't do this game justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

Are we forgetting Jackie Chan Adventures?

Disqualified, not based on a movie.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The thing I don't get is, if the auction is in three days, why don't they just hang out for dinner and Nate can explain everything then?

Unless it's out of town or something...

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
GOD drat THESE GRAPHICS

Look at the their tuxes realistically ruffling as they move!

Look at the detail on the hair!

Look, just look at how god drat smooth that smoke from Sully's cigar is!

The lights, the textures, all the little details put into the facial animation...

I don't have a PS4 (though I think I'll pick up the Pro when it launches), but I have a buddy from work who does, and I asked him what he thought of the game after playing it. He said it was boring and he only played it for a couple of hours before shelving it, and said the new Tomb Raider was better. Now, I haven't played the new Tomb Raider yet, but I think it's safe to say that he's insane and has no idea what he's talking about.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For the record, snowball fights in games are awesome and the devs should have kept it in. Witcher 3 had one and it was great.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You mentioned it at the top of the tower but Inverse Kinematics, or IK, is used for a lot of different things, not just feet. Dan Floyd over on Extra Credits did a video briefly touching on IK, and it's pretty decent to understand the gist of what's going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVHM4spXuOM

So yeah, stuff like Nate actually climbing to the top of the tower uses way more IK than just that one point where it broke his foot on the top.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
*watches video*

*checks account balance to see if there's enough to buy a PS4 Pro and this game*

*there is*

*sweats profusely*

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fedule posted:

Funfact: If, after coming out of the tower and seeing the "that's definitely Sam's tower" cutscenes, you stand perfectly still for 30 seconds, you get a trophy.

You know, I'm watching that video, and it's really interesting seeing what made it into the game and what didn't...

... which is everything. Everything made it into the game. They pulled no shortcuts and made no compromises, and the fancy tech demo they showed off is completely intact in the real game.

Which is just mind-boggling. Like, how many games shown off at E3 actually live up to the hype they create? Look at Witcher 3, which is probably the best game to be released last year, and yet it's playable E3 demo from the year before had much more detail in animation, environments and effects. Or how about No Man's Sky, which had marketing basically creating a completely different game from the one that was actually released? Did Watch_Dogs deliver on any of the cooler tech and gameplay features of it's debut in it's final release?

It's just really easy to take for granted that games that show off really cool tech are mostly blowing hot air, and you can usually expect the final game to deliver a specific scripted sequence that looks like what was promised but not during live gameply.

Oh, I did make at least one catch; in the E3 demo, Sully gets to the car first, Nate hopes in just after him, and there's no transition cutscene between the jumping and driving. When Chip played that section, he arrived before Sully, and they had a little cutscene play for Sully to pop into existence and get in the car. Dunno how it would happen if Chip had let Sully get in first, maybe it would be exactly like the demo, maybe not.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Ometeotl posted:

Very few, and Uncharted 4 doesn't count as one of them.

Remember that first teaser that was tooootally in engine footage and the gameplay was going to be 60 FPS?

I guess I should have said "played live at E3" instead.

I don't really count early CGI teasers since the game's still in development at that point, so why would they have that many art assets and a working game engine running visuals of that level of fidelity when there's still two or three years left to make the game?

AAA games simply don't look like that when they're three years out from release, they're still mostly code and featureless gray blocks. The game would look like the top half of this image around the time that teaser trailer was released, and wouldn't look like the bottom half until close to a year left in development.

So, yeah, 30 second long teaser trailers? Lies, ever single one of them, and this game is also on the hook for that.

Game actually being played live onstage? Often times also lies, so I'm impressed that this game actually looks as good now as it looked then.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I love the gag of Sam disappearing and then you climbing around and seeing him pushing a really heavy crate to help you climb up.

Yeah, that was a great bit of visual humour, and I wish the game did more with that. Most of the comedy in the game is snappy one liners or bad puns or really low key joking around and sarcasm, basically all the comedy is being carried by the dialogue. They could do with more sight gags, or well timed sound effects. Comedy is more than just two guys trying to be the most witty about their current situation.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I've also been playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and... it actually plays nothing like Uncharted.

It's much more of a Metroidvania, where you get a smaller number of locations but they're super dense with stuff to do and explore and encourage coming back with new equipment to reach places you couldn't before, and it's more open ended with lots of optional tombs and side quests that you can do or ignore at your leisure. Uncharted is and has always been a very linear shooter with awesome set pieces, so the two games don't play the same at all.

I mean, both games are superficially similar, being third person cover shooters with lite stealth mechanics and a focus on adventuring in a modern day setting trying to find ancient artifacts with a bunch of climbing around caves and ruins thrown in for good measure... but basically every mechanic I just listed has enough subtle differences between the two games that they come out feeling very different to play.

Uncharted is definitely more polished in it's writing, cutscenes, gunplay and action set-pieces, but Tomb Raider is more mechanically complex and gameplay oriented.

Though I'm kinda disappointed they dropped the horror aesthetic of the last Tomb Raider, considering they never pushed very far I guess it makes sense they would have scrapped it, but it does leave the new game feeling kinda generic.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

Though it does properly answer a question I asked a month ago about why Nate didn't bring his brother home to meet his incredibly smart journalist wife.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, so I went back and rewatched the cutscene where Elena confronts the guys about being dumbasses. Interestingly, Nate phrases it as "the guy who broke him out of jail wants a lot of money", so he didn't drop Alcazar's name into the mix for Elena to go "wait, the dead guy?"

But yeah, with this twist 90% of the plot could have been resolved by Nate just telling his wife the truth.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know, it occurs to me that Sam really didn't have any reason to lie to Nate. Like, all the dramatic tension could have easily been solved by just being upfront about everything.

:hehe: "Hey, Nate, I'm alive! Got outta prison a couple years ago, and got away from nanny Rafe last week, so I stopped by to visit!"

:haw: "Whoa, cool, wanna meet my wife?"

:hehe: "Sure! Wanna go treasure hunting with me and screw over Rafe some more?"

:haw: "I dunno, what do you say Elena?"

:cheeky: "Yeah sure, I was just saying last night you should go on another adventure."

:haw: "Alright, I'll keep in touch hon!"

I mean, yeah, that's considerably less interesting for the story, so really I guess my point is maybe be the bigger man and don't lie your way into adventure because otherwise you're a dick.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure the first playable version of this level made a lot of 3D environment artists sweat a little harder with every additional room they walked through.

This had to have been either one of the first if not the first level to be put into the game, and was probably one of the last to be finished by the art team before going gold.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

bobjr posted:

I'm honestly surprised Nate doesn't have more issues than he does, especially when you realize Sully is the closest thing he has to a dad.

Well, we only ever see Nate when he's on an adventure. It's easy to get lost in a job and just not think about that kind of stuff.

We do see him at the start of the game at home, looking at Sam's stuff and not wanting to open it up, 15 years after the fact, and being opaque with Elena about how he's dissatisfied with life right now and unsure how to open up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Apep727 posted:

Okay, I'm going to get a bit personal here:

You really, really don't need to, here, in the Uncharted 4 LP thread.

You're acting more and more like George with every post.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, are we gonna get multiplayer videos now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

TheLoser posted:

Chip, if you're sure about not playing multiplayer, you should at least show off the best thing about it.

Why does this person have dozens of Uncharted 4 dancing videos?

• Locked thread