Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

DatonKallandor posted:

True. How about that Nathan Drake, he sure loves him some treasure.

Will he finally learn that the greatest treasure....is family?

http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=060128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

This has made me kinda want to see The Mummy (the Brendan Fraser one), but with the cast of Uncharted for the humans instead.

That was a fine movie.

looks to me like you're on the wrong side of the river

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

This wouldn't be a problem if we were playing as Jackie Chan instead.

press x to bad day

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

To be honest while I don't doubt that people like that exist, that story seems rather... incredulous? People don't talk like that in real life. But hey, no way of disproving it.

i wish they didn't talk that way in real life

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

ousire posted:

I'm just waiting for this whole finding Paradise-with-a-capital-P thing to come back to bite Nate in the rear end when the inevitable spooky supernatural stuff starts up. Like turns out Avery found out the secret to immortality or something and Nate and crew have to fight off his crew of undead pirates, a la Pirates of the Caribbean

Paradise is heaven, the treasure is an elaborate suicide machine

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

love is a battlefield

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Chip Cheezum posted:

No need to worry, our site's back up. For some reason even though the domain's set to auto-renew, it just... didn't. I dunno! The next update should be up tomorrow. Also a ton of podcasts will be going up in the next week or so since I haven't had the time to edit any of them. We're up to four now. Whoops. :v:

alternatively, you've got a buffer now!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The long lost city of Libertalia, which one Samuel Drake believes he discovered after 300 years, but was actually discovered by some dude in Kentucky loving around on Google Maps a couple of years ago.

'cos there's no way that place is hiding in the age of satellites.

it'd be plausible if there was a whole bunch of tree cover, we're only just now getting the ability to scan for human disturbances via vegetation and that kind of analysis isn't exactly open to public direction

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

double nine posted:

how do you make these gorgeous drawing-like screengrabs?

i think there's a 'posterize' filter in photoshop

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

that's not the twist i expected
does that make it a double twist?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Felinoid posted:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm definitely still along for the ride. Just...less interested in the actual plot now that it's been neatly condensed. Still, there's another third of the game for it to pull something more interesting again, and the gameplay and scenery remain superb. Nevermind how impressive it is that the ways they keep moving the goalposts haven't gotten stale. Less invested doesn't mean not invested.

That's kind of the point. I think it would have been more interesting to upend the theme. To have the Drake brothers succeed because they're the only ones not to betray each other, despite all the incredibly obvious hinting that it would happen. I wanted to be on the edge of my seat waiting for that pivotal moment near the end where we'd see whether Sam would turn when given a chance, and then he'd just be at Nate's back without hesitation, to show a growth of character from the older brother that kept skipping out on his sibling and leaving him to fend for himself. But then after all the "hey! hey! betrayal! hey!" the betrayal actually happens, and it does so early. Playing straight on a theme that blatant just ends up disappointing, at least for me.

But, as I said above, we've still got a good amount of game for it to turn it around. Hell, with the feeling that they've already blown their load on betrayal (first Nate->Elena, then Sam->Nate, and of course the inevitable Rafe<->Nadine), they could use the remaining game to set up something else even more interesting to blindside me with! :) The ultimate bait-and-switch.

i think one of the pitfalls i've seen again and again when following a let's play is the time between updates is time where you start writing your own version of the game, and naturally, whatever you come up with in your head is likely going to appeal to your specific tastes better then the game will. without really intending to, you're setting up the game to disappoint you
now, video game stories don't have the most sterling reputation but i, personally, try to give things a chance and wait until the end before i get into the 'things would have been better if they did x' stage.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Really Pants posted:

I can't believe Nate and Rafe haven't made out yet, 0/10

my ghost can not rest until every game is gay

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Not just the time between updates and but also the fact that you're not holding the controller. When you're playing a game, your attention is divided between the plot and trying to actually play the game well, and look out for collectables and all sorts of other things. We don't have to dodge gunfire and grenades and look for opportunities for sweet flying punches. Even half an hour at a time is more than enough idle time to way over-analyze a plot.

Also, in case you didn't notice, I said the very same thing about giving it a chance right in that post you quoted. How well the game had presented people just being people, especially toward the start of the game, may have given me high hopes, but just because it didn't turn out the way I thought doesn't mean I'm not going to wait and see what it actually has to say.

you did, your comment prompted mine in a more 'observation of a general trend' then a statement directed at you, i didn't make that clear enough, i'm sorry

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

all the little robot heads look like emile

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Who, in the 80s, was in charge of making sure that the home of an invalid was cleared of all the medication the patient had when they move out?

Adam Smith

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

that is a wonderful house but it's all out to sea the second a rough storm comes ashore

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

so many words spilled because a character acknowledged the existence of a gun holster in the final cutscene

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

darealkooky posted:

it's cool to care about things, especially media.

How many millions of dollars were spent on this game's development of ultra HD jowels and marketing that could've gone towards helping the vulnerable peoples of the world? (like say, south africans that have to turn to being mercenaries that get thrown off cliffs by drake because they have no other way to make ends met) to say that you shouldn't be able to hold them to some sort of standard is foolish, as is shaming others for doing so even if you personally don't.

jesus christ, you're really going to use the 'starving children in africa' cudgel over this? get some perspective friend

to act like it all comes apart in the very last cutscene in the game because the kid says "is that a gun holster" is an absurd blindness to something that's been a recurring structural tension that people have been gnashing teeth over since the first game came out
and like, it's not some last minute breaking of the ~gameplay/cutscene divide~ for a character to acknowledge the existence of guns, that is not equivalent to acknowledging drake murdering hundreds of people

is uncharted 4 some work of fine art beyond reproach? hell no. it's a middling to above-average third person shorter whose developer has clearly become more interested in character based story-telling as the series has progressed. but they've remained entrapped by or otherwise beholden to it's mechanical roots and gameplay expectations
this was never something that series was going to resolve in the final act of the final game, it's fundamentally not an issue solvable within the confines of the uncharted series while remaining uncharted imo. if you're either unable or unwilling to handle that cognitive dissonance, then these games were never going to leave you with a satisfactory feeling but god help you if it took four times around to figure that out

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

"how am i supposed to identity with someone if i can't control their every thought and action?"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Well now I see how people can be bothered by Overwatch's story not having much effect on the gameplay beyond maps, costumes and characters.

the story of overwatch is all the characters are kissing all the other characters with their bullets

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

it's a christ metaphor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

You might have learned over the years that I'm a big fan of the wild poo poo that can come from running with dissonance. On that note; my wife and I launched a new podcast today!

SEX ARCHIE

Sex Archie is a recap-and-react podcast about the best thing on TV right now: Riverdale. Riverdale is a teen melodrama on the CW based on the characters of Archie comics. It's a hell of a ride, and we're here to be your guide. Even though the first episode is only a few hours old, I've already heard from people saying they enjoyed it and follow along perfectly well despite not watching the show.

Episode 1: Archie got hot Where we meet the cast and introduce the sex, lies, and murder that lie just beneath the surface of this small, sleepy town
Episode 2: #RiverdaleStrong Where we get deep into Cheryl Blossom (but not as deep as her brother did) and everyone learns something about themselves
Episode 3: #JusticeForEthel Where vengeance comes Canadian-style and the truth taste likes cherries and hot fudge
RSS

i know just who to send this to

and thanks for the lp

• Locked thread