Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can't say I have any idea what city that is, but it can't be the US, because orphanages haven't been a thing here for a long while. It made more sense back when he was growing up on the streets of Argentina, because that's a thing in South America.

Is this really going to be the last Uncharted game? That seems like a bit of a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's so disconcerting for Drake to get a new face and then just expect the viewer to recognize him along with all the new faces that they throw at you.

I'm also not sure I like the way how each new Uncharted game has got to up the personal drama for Drake from the last one. Especially since they don't seem to hook into the overall course of the games to make Drake seem like he's growing as a person.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

And this is why Nate will always be poor for what he does. Because being rich in this line of work means you're evil. Nate's too good to be evil!

Sully got rich at the end of the first game.

And honestly? Drake was a bit of a dick just cutting Vargas out of the deal, but Rafe killed Vargas right after Vargas was threatening them all with a gun, which is a thing that Drake will do many, many times throughout his career. When somebody's going to shoot you, that's videogame justification for murdering them.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 12, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Come to think of it, Uncharted 1 had the same sort of twist early on with Sully dying and Drake having to leave him behind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's pretty crazy that in the world of Uncharted, there are so many Treasure deposits all over the world that of course this guy's first response to these treasure hunters is to hold them at gunpoint demanding a cut, because of course the treasure is real and well-hidden enough that nobody has found it for centuries.

I feel like if you ran into some real-world treasure hunters like that, you'd just roll your eyes and pocket what they pay you.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Most videogames revolve around murdering vast hoards of men, which is why it's so jarring when they try to have lighthearted, upbeat plots when the bodycount is beg enough that you could build a small tower out of bones. I don't think any game has ever really managed to work that out.

Of course, looking back at the Uncharted series, one of the chief complaints, at least for the first two games, was how most of the people you murdered were non-white. Technically that was the realistic implication of the exotic setting, but both of the first two games ended with native societies that were literal snarling beasts (although there were also implications that they were still capable of higher things? UC1's native zombies were making boobytraps and UC2's blue men lived in extravagant temples), and it's really hard to not see subtext there, regardless of developer intent. :shrug: At least UC3 changed things up.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, my biggest complaint about the Force Awakens was just how many times the heroes stopped everything so they could murder all the enemies in the area like it was some kind of videogame. I feel like the killcount in videogames affects the way that other media deals with death, but there's far less appeal without the kenesthetic benefit of gameplay.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nathan would probably be able to do pretty well in academia if it weren't for his kleptomania and the fact that he ends up destroying every ruin he finds.

I don't know why Elena is encouraging him to go off the straight and narrow, they seem to be alright financially. They could just go on another vacation instead.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe the entire videogame industry collapsed like one of Drake's ancient civilizations, and that's where they got the PS1. It's just another artifact. It also would make that arcade token more valuable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I kind of hope Chloe settled down with Cutter.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The animated series revolved around the son of the male and female leads for the Mummy, and the ancient magical Egyptian relic that got stuck on his arm. I'd give it a solid B, there were definitely better cartoons based off of movies with things like Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Jackie Chan, and Osmosis Jones out there.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My first thought when I saw Sam was "I can't believe Flynn's back." They have the same hair.

Also, there is no creditor in the world as thorough at pursuing debtors than there are in Uncharted.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This is why they kept breaking up between games.

Also, one of these things is not like the other:

-Francis Drake
-Marco Polo
-Lawrence of Arabia
-Henry Avery

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If only there was a simple word or phrase to refer to when the demands of the story and narrative conflict with the needs of the gameplay. Maybe some kind of academic-sounding thing with a latin rootword.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, how much has Rafe invested in this operation? He must've spent way more than some pirate could have tucked away a couple hundred years ago.

I mean I guess there's some kind of pirate superweapon in the treasure like there always is, but how should Rafe and a Mexican druglord know that without Nate catching on?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So considering how pirates normally deal with treasure, how many times did they have to rebuild that entire room with the cross?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder what the artist who spent hours designing and sketching out that tower on a cliff felt about Drake just drawing it up in a second.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know that in the end the treasure is probably going to be some kind of pirate death star or something, but I still can't believe this whole thing is supposed to be about generic pirate treasure of gold and jewels (never mind the fact that not all loot would be nonperishables, spices were real big in this part of the world).

I can't figure out exactly how, but I feel like there's got to be a way to make a fortune off of all these priceless ruins they're demolishing in the hunt for base metals. Or maybe they could just rob a bank.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

God drat that's high up. Something about how all of that scenery is real and you've been there and you're just hanging around up on the top of a very small area...it's giving me some serious call of the void and my legs are seizing up just watching it.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Jeez, this game, this game.

I feel like this game is going to suffer from the classic sequel problem, the narrative is going to feel like the story is finished and these people should just be left to live their lives, but the game is so amazing that it feels like a shame if they didn't make more. How much of the crazy poo poo in this game is built into the engine and how much is just lovingly crafted, I have no idea.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Way to gently caress up Nathan.

Also, it kinda looks like him in Monkey Island 2.

It's pretty much exactly how he looks in Tales of Monkey Island.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, I didn't know that claims of dolphin on dolphin rape were overblown. They've still been sighted killing eachother's young, which is a negative.

There was a researcher who did experiments on giving dolphins LSD, which really hosed them up, sometimes to the point where they decided to not come back up for air. His work is normally overshadowed by one of his attempts to make dolphins speak english wherein he got a woman to jack off one of the subject dolphins to make it more receptive to teaching.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This game really is Indianna Jones if the temple builders had twice the budget of the ones in Legend of Zelda. Giant statues are pretty common in games because all you have to do is take the person model you've already made and scale it up and stick a statuesque texture on it, but those embossed reliefs had to take so much effort to make.

There was a moment where I thought that the wet rock was slanted so much that Drake should've slipped, and then the whole thing just broke away. What a game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's such an irony to all the ways that pirates are democratic and egalitarian towards eachother, because this is in an era where it is expected and deemed necessary for sailing ships to be brutal iron-fisted dictatorships. Sailors were regularly flogged like slaves.

You could probably make a good study on how the absolute power captains got at sea drove them to abuse it, and how those conditions specifically motivated crews to go rogue in the first place.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Drakes are actually banking on Libertalia having been a horrible failure. The absolute worst thing would be if they found it and it was still full of angry pirates.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm actually really surprised that there hasn't been any crazy mystical things in this game yet. The rest of the games in the series not only ended with magic junk , but by this point they had put in some kind of mystic red herring (the native traps in UC1, the yeti in UC2, and the spiders and crazy drugs in UC3). It really gives me doubts about where this is all going. We're already waiting for the druglord to show up again, are we going to have to deal with a druglord and his goons, Rafe and his PMC, and a crazy pirate curse ghost armada at the same time?

I guess there's a chance that Nate's brother was lying about being threatened by the druglord? He was certainly acting like he was holding something back, but that would feel like such a cheat from the game since it'd mean the game's been an unreliable narrator in the cutscenes when it never has before.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

You don't have to stick around between updates if you don't want to. You're dismas'd.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't like the section of Sam breaking out being a lie. It wasn't really framed as Sam telling a story, it seemed like just a flashback. The game hadn't been hinting at all at an unreliable narrator bit up to this point, and breaking it out now seems to cheapen everything. What if Nate's home life was actually horrible? What if that section where they broke out of the orphanage was actually Nate and Sam robbing a Dairy Queen? What if instead of a salvage business, Nate was running a scam to make his money?

It worked back in UC3 because they were playing up that unreliable narrator angle throughout between the drugs and mirages, if Nate just suddenly had a singular hallucination of Sully getting shot and nothing else, it'd feel just as cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think I hate Rafe more than Lazarevic, the guy from UC1, or that suited guy and Sully's old flame from UC3. He's not just a prick, he's a prick who pretends to be nice about how much of a prick he is, like a used car salesman. Never has it been more glaringly obvious that he's going to kill everyone the moment they're no longer useful, so why even bother helping him at all.

I also really would like the inevitable supernatural element to finally show up and add some variety to all the mercenaries.

• Locked thread