Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I thought that Drake as a kid was dumped in South America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

sleepy.eyes posted:

Looks like something from Newgrounds.

God I wasted too much time with that site.

Dad's Home!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Homestuck?!

Nerds.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I despise when things do the thing they did with Sam here, in all honesty. Not the being shot thing, the "incredibly important family member who suddenly exists" thing. It's never smart, well written or interesting. It always comes across as something they decided well after the fact, which is probably because that's always the case. There's not much reason why you couldn't have had Sam be a family friend or acquaintance of some import.

On a completely unrelated note, who's that in your avatar?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

General Ironicus posted:

You want some dissonance? How about comparing today's Amish to the Radical Reformers they descend from. My wife and I started a history podcast a few months ago, and there's a new episode out today!

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

This time we talk about the Anabaptists, a movement of related Protestant sects dating back to the early days of the Reformation. Are our civil liberties inspired by people who dropped out of the society they protect? How can small communities survive in isolation, and how could they survive without isolation? Why are people living in modernity fascinated by those who chose not to be?

Holy carp! Just listened to a podcast on the Munster rebellion, so I'm always happy to hear more stuff!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That last wedding picture was weird. The way Nate and Elena were positioned made it look like there was supposed to be a third person in it.

Edit: Am I going crazy or is Nate look like he's slowly turning into Jeremy Renner over the series?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 18, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ach, Nate's reaction to Sam's returning doesn't seem... sincere enough, even though the animations are great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Limoncello is very, very good.

But I don't get the joke with the crepes?

Oh; I LIKE the costume design of Nadine; she says she feels out of place - she's the only woman wearing trousers in the whole level.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Oh. I thought it was a pun in French.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Delirare posted:

For me it's more that they are climbing all over the place in those shoes. And yes, they might have magical tuxedo protecting overalls, but those shoes must look like hell after their trip getting into the building. And none of the snooty people at the auction even comment on that. Meh, action movie and all that.

For me it's the ability to grab onto both a pistol and a ledge at the same time. Drake must sweat superglue out his fingertips.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

To be honest while I don't doubt that people like that exist, that story seems rather... incredulous? People don't talk like that in real life. But hey, no way of disproving it.

Originally, I would have doubted it. After GGate? I'd believe it, no questions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Spectacular. Or should I say... GEX-tacular???

No.

No, I shouldn't.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Those two guards weren't discussing military coups, they were talking about Highland cows!

(It is a Scots joke.)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pennfalath posted:

"Kak" or "Kaka" is Dutch (which is how it ended up in South-African) slang/child speak for poo poo. Comes from Latin (and probably before that). Cacare means to defecate.

Appropriate avatar/post combo. It's also the derivation of the English word 'poppycock', which originally meant 'soft poo poo'.

On that note, obviously this game is not realistic, but a bunch of South African mercs don't seem likely to follow the command of a black lady.

Also, the cages are hung on gibbets. What is in a turkey are giblets.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's the real version of that flintlock pistol/flashlight:

How were you supposed to aim that?!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

God-drat but the facial animations in this game are top-notch. Not only that, but the DIRECTION of the emotion is great too!

But Ironicus, I must point out, it's not pronounced 'Ha-penny', it's pronounced 'Hape-nee'. It's one of those weird English things, like Fotheringay.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Mud physics + water physics must be very hard to code.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

No such thing as Venom Sully, though.

That'd be redundant.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

She's part of Rafe's gang!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Actually, apparently the stereotype of pirates with peg-legs/eyepatches/hooks is because there were no pensions given out to people who suffered massive grevious harm in the bad old days, but if you got those injuries, more often then not you got kicked out.

So you got a whole bunch of guys with missing body parts, and nothing else other than naval experience and very little money.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sorry, should have specified that they got kicked out of proper navies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

As much as I want to call this part really pretty, there are a couple of things which... just rub me the wrong way:

1) Drake doesn't drip water everywhere getting out of the ocean onto the boat.

2) After running on wet sand onto dry sand, the soles of his shoes don't pick up the dry stuff.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Thesaya posted:

There are wet footprints when he gets on the boat though, unless I am imagining that.

Yeah, but only footprints. That's what made it so noticeable, you'd be shedding a whole bunch of water onto the deck.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Are we allowed to speculate in the thread or is that a no-no?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What would be just perfect would it be turning out that one of the pirates stole the drat treasure and sailed off laughing. Be a perfect way to cap off an idea of a 'liberty' society based on murderous thieves.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why do people never shut up for these reveals? It's extremely obnoxious.

Also, the first person in that Death Stranding, that's mo-capped del Toro, isn't it?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

A Festivus for the Last of Us.

Wait, no.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The timing of that was INCREDIBLE.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I still maintain; I bet the pirates got pirated.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

What I found annoying was the shoreline goons firing rockets at the boys when they were climbing the ropes as opposed to firing at the anchor points.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Good thing they changed their surnames, because otherwise their obsession with pirate gold would have everyone cracking jokes about rum.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

You mentioned the developers were inspired by Gone Home, and wow does it show. That type of game-story-telling is fantastic, and something I would wish to see implemented in more games (tho not just in exploring houses, of course).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Sully was Enkidu.

No, Enkidu dies. Sully must be Utna-Pishtu.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

That's what history says. ;)

I ought to know.

I KILLED HIM!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Any ETA on the next episode, btw?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ok, this may make me sound like a bitch, especially considering how much this game does well visually, but you get broken glass textures in the windshield frame around 23:10. It looks really silly.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

I just want to say, I'm all for goose abuse. I hate geese birds.

Well, its obvious that a jug would have a bound goose motif. You don't want the goose to get loose, otherwise the juice will get loose.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Verklemptomaniac posted:

So Thomas Tew was second in command to Captain Avery.

I guess that makes him... Number Tew.

Tew soon.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That was a mean trick, Elena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

gschmidl posted:

The Witcher 3 has amazing direction and acting as well as being a fantastic game.

To be fair, it did have the Bethesda/Bioware problem of two people standing directly opposite to each other talking, with minimal animations.

• Locked thread