Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
yessssssss

I loved UC4 after only playing the first game in the series and then watching the LPs.

The gunplay in UC4 is great and challenging especially on hard difficulty and it is just such an amazing looking game. It's honestly a really good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hard mode was perfect for me. There was one fight towards the end I spent something that felt like an hour trying to clear. And it was pretty intense with enemies rolling from all directions. The fight became a puzzle where I was trying to find the optimal route through obstacles just to stay alive long enough while making sure my bullets lasted.

It helps that the game is balanced perfectly as far as thrills per minute is concerned. There's always a sweet as hell plateau of amazing sights and relaxing climbing that follows a crazy firefight. There's a lot more variety than in previous games which keeps the game fresh scene after scene.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Uncharted 4 actually does more than just cover based shooty action but I'll let Chip cover that.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Nate shoots a lot of people just doing their job which is horrifying if you think about it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Becoming an elemental of venereal diseases doesn't happen without hard work.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
But seriously Nate shoots a lot of guys on his wacky light hearted adventures :)

The following chapter after flashback arc really drives this point home.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think he ever really goes into an adventure looking for a fight, though. he's more than happy to try and do things the peaceful or stealthy way; he's just also not going to sit there and get shot when poo poo hits the fan

He does get gleefully happy snapping people's necks, yeah.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
This is great. :allears:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

KozmoNaut posted:

I wonder how long you can actually play it? Like, is it just the first level, does it autokill you at some point, can you literally play through the whole game?

You can complete the level, it's not very long. If you make it to the end there's one of those warp stones you stand on and are taken to the scoring screen just like you would if losing all lives.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Video games enkindled a latent interest and Nate starts his journey to find Polybius.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I imagine the salvage deal doesn't involve shooting 10000 mercenaries so it's more of an overseas business trip than a chance to destroy another priceless vestige.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
But this time!

This time!!

400 million dollars!! This'll be the BIG ONE

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Well, Rafe also did kill a dude and subsequently get Sam shot and locked up for 15 years so Sam has every reason to be careful.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Can we talk more about ~narrative dissonance~

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
*gif of Nate looking wistfully to an unknown distances*

That's your NECK *SNAP

*nate sighs and a happy tear rolls down his cheek before getting forked by Elena*

Hey, where were you?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
That's why any self-respecting figure of history equipped their secret lairs with self-destruction mechanisms. :colbert:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Lo, said our lord and savior Nathan Drake, turn the other cheek so I can better snap your neck.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
First game also didn't have iron fist so your best option for fights was really just sit still and take potshots which was really boring.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

CJacobs posted:

The first game totally had steel fist! I remember Ironicus getting very excited about it and calling it stone fist for the entire let's play! Unless you mean it's different mechanically.

Is this true? Because I mught have enjoyed the first game a lot more if I knew I could play more aggressively.

Steel fist feels like a semi secret feature as even Uncharted 4 doesn't actually go through the effort to teach you about it.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Oh, that thing. That's kinda different from steel fist though?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
:downsgun:

Allrighty then.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
So what happens if the first recruit picks up the cross? What then, Avery? :smug:

the true treasure was joining SKELETON HOUSE all along

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Nate's super powers include clairvoyance

Or he has seen like every single 80s-90s adventure movie

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Not to HYPE UP OR ANYTHING but the next few chapters are probably my favorites in the game and made me enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would initially.

And later on the game gets even better!!

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Zagglezig posted:

So is all of that winch excitement optional?

The area is designed so that you can only use the winch one way in that scene. There's mud all over the place which causes you to slide back down with the winch cable.

And I'm not complaining! That scene still manages to clench my buttocks and I'm glad it's mandatory.

bobjr posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDOq-XkWl4Y

This is a tough gunfight if you aren't prepared, but thankfully Sully is always prepared for a point blank grenade.

I wish you could just use your buddies for cover anywhere.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 2, 2016

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Playing 1st/3rd person shooters on console is piss and I gladly played UC4 using lock on aim. You still have to adjust your aim to headshot if you're not feeling awesome enough.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
No more puns please, they will be the death to us

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
The magic of inverse kinematics continues to amaze.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
~friendship~

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Gorilla Salad posted:

Had another thought about why it's probably subterranean gold stealing goblins causing all this - if it actually was all a plot by the Founders to lure everyone to an island and steal everything from them, like Nathan suggests, then why have all the deadly traps and challenges?

Probably they thought a free society of murderers, robbers and rapists was a good idea until it actually happened and everyone was a greedy rear end in a top hat wanting to determine the rules of liberty to each other.

Deadly traps and challenges were actually to impress architects and engineers to move in and build all the founders' luxurious and crazy structures.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I really liked the epilogue and the great thing about it is that it could also be seen as Naughty Dog's (and maybe even games in general) maturing over the years. Considering the first Uncharted was a pretty straightforward action adventure with rudimentary cover shooty mechanics, the series has improved over time, culminating in Thief's End. The gameplay hasn't changed much: it's still about shooting nameless goons in the face and climbing highlighted cliff faces. I guess ND has taken what they have done well for years and concentrated on polishing that rather than inventing the wheel again. At least doing one tried-and-true thing really well let's them explore other areas such as narrative and how to build it through both gameplay environments and pacing thrilling action sequences with quiet story bits.

Uncharted 4 is a really fun shooter game as well as a narrative epilogue to a great series. ND's self-congratulating feels justified considering what a huge undertaking their games are. I loved every single one of those "level designer jerking off" vistas, there's so much skill and attention poured into this game.

Uncharted 4 owns bones and the reason I even bought the game (and loved it!) was you guys' LP series. Thanks for the ride, that was a really good one.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
At the very least please make that loop during your next podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Quick someone do a terrible pun

e: vvvv no that's a punt whew thread saved

jyrque fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 20, 2017

• Locked thread