Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

chiasaur11 posted:

RE4 has adaptive difficulty AND a hard mode. It's just it kept the adaptive parts subtle, so you didn't feel condescended to when the game dialed things down.

the hard mode just locks the adaptive difficulty at max though, so it doesn't have both at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

What was up with the half dozen guards that just didn't have guns during the prison break? Were they all communally smoking in that specific alley when the alarm went and couldn't stop to get guns?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I hope the supernatural badguy is just nadine, otherwise she's lame as hell.

girl isn't nearly beefy enough to be this much of a terminator, so the only other explanation is that she subtly puts out a field that makes everyone around her incompetent.

this would also explain why rafe and shoreline mooks are so useless, they're suffering long-term exposure.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

This game is such loving bullshit with its immense secret pirate havens that no one's discovered with the advent of Google Earth, drones and satellites and implausibly lucky protagonist who shrugs off being in a car crash within the same day. And now they're trying to push that some random 5'5" mercenary lady who heads a PMC can take on two guys that're six and ten inches taller than her with no apparent combat training aside from street fighting at once?

1: look up what suspension of disbelief means
2: the secret pirate haven isn't a series of boring forced boss fight that's more like a cutscene and doesn't exist entirely to be a bigbad dragon that just comes along and sets the proverbial village on fire before leaving scott free over and over. it's just an excuse to jump on things and make quips
3: why do you encourage the idea that all respectable women in games have to be conventionally attractive instead of having a cool swole lady that would actually make sense as the leader of a PMC that leads by the front
4: p sure that after 3 and a bit games worth of murdering people drake has more combat experience than blackwater does, can effortlessly take down men wearing combat gear with a single stone/iron/unobtainum fist and has literally fought monsters multiple times so the idea that somehow he's helpless against someone he has a physical advantage on even with help is lovely and makes no sense. this wouldn't be an issue if the game itself didn't want you to take it's story super seriously and feel really invested in the characters of drake and sam instead of just being an excuse to rip of indiana jones a bunch like say, uncharted 1, but by focusing more on the writing every wrinkle stands out more

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 30, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I guess I'll be the cold emotionless devils advocate. The entire epilogue was lame and felt like the developers were jacking off.

I don't see how you could be attached to these characters in the way the ending clearly expects you to be when the previous three games had them just be vehicles for the player to hear quips, jump on stuff and murder thousands of people. There was nothing wrong with that because those games were a lot more simple in their writing with a plot was largely just an excuse to do those three things, but in this game the characters Matter and Are Important and it feels awkward for a lot of the same reasons kingdom of the crystal skull feels awkward.

Attractive improbably good at jumping and fighting white man who's very lucky and his wife who is also all of those things had even more totally cool but less violent adventures for years after the events of this game. Ok cool, that's a solid ending I guess, but why did this game need to be gone home: references edition for 30 minutes to rub it in when the scene with them buying the salvage company already got the message across?

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Really Pants posted:

it is Extremely Problematic that Nathan Drake never endorses the ethically superior vegan lifestyle

in addition, the deaths caused by their gun battles will pale in comparison to the deaths caused by Sam and Sully's thoughtless promotion of smoking

This sort of "it's just a video game dude lol don't take it so seriously" argument only worked when the game wasn't taking itself too seriously. I'd be one of the first people to say "who cares about drake murdering people" in regard to previous games because they were just action movies you play, uncharted 4 is a Character Story where even the characters don't actually care about any of the exciting adventure stuff half the time and would rather just go home. Mario doesn't have princess peach mundane kingdom management sim for an hour after you collect all the power stars and rescue her because nobody cares about the lives of video game characters when they aren't doing exciting things unless you're a self absorbed middle aged game designer who wants to make something that Matters and Has Something To Say instead of Just Entertainment.

Not to say that there is no place for media/games that have the sort of themes and tone UC4 is clearly going for, but shoehorning it into mass murder adventure power fantasy 2016 that you're being asked to make by your corporate overlords to sell product is not it. The crash bandicoot throwback shows just how little mainstream games have come in two decades when it comes to storytelling because despite all the amazing advances in motion capture and dog jowel animations the story matters exactly as little to the gameplay as the story in crash did, give or take some QTE cutscenes.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

that they could just go home and not hunt treasures, but then there's no point to the series in the first place.

Which is exactly why rubbing your nose in the fact that drake and elena have normal perfectly well adjusted lives & drake had a childhood that feels like an 80's version of the outsiders in spite of their combined bodycount being somewhere between jack the ripper and the rwandan genocide is a terrible idea.

When you introduce realism and actual pathos to the story of adventure shooting man and his merry band of quipping rogues you also invite questions like "hey, why doesn't drake have PTSD when he's personally killed more people in gunfights and had more grenades explode in his face than entire units did in ww2?"

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

morallyobjected posted:

Nate's death count doesn't even touch most JRPGs and I don't see anyone talking about Zidane's PTSD

Zidane is a combined monkey king/shakespeare reference who lives in a world where people can look like this without anyone raising an eyebrow

She actually looks even more ridiculous in game. You're less likely to poke holes in a cartoony world like this than you are in a photo realistic ultra HD one like uncharted 4. If you don't understand this I can't help you.

Even then this is still a bad argument because large parts of FF9 ARE spent on characters like zidane or vivi (who is essentially a goth muppet) angsting about literally being killing machines & trying to have a normal life in spite of it. Meanwhile drake just kills lots of people and never stops to think about it when he goes on to live what by all means is set in the human world where he does normal human things with his normal human family like play crash bandicoot without ever reflecting on it once.

Which once again was totally fine before because drake wasn't a character that reflected on anything, but in this game large parts of the story are about him, where he came from what he's doing now and why as well as his relationship with his family so it feels weird to conveniently skip over this large part of what drake does when he has a magnifying glass on everything else.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Feb 11, 2017

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

so many words spilled because a character acknowledged the existence of a gun holster in the final cutscene
it's cool to care about things, especially media.

How many millions of dollars were spent on this game's development of ultra HD jowels and marketing that could've gone towards helping the vulnerable peoples of the world? (like say, south africans that have to turn to being mercenaries that get thrown off cliffs by drake because they have no other way to make ends met) to say that you shouldn't be able to hold them to some sort of standard is foolish, as is shaming others for doing so even if you personally don't.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

to act like it all comes apart in the very last cutscene in the game because the kid says "is that a gun holster" is an absurd blindness to something that's been a recurring structural tension that people have been gnashing teeth over since the first game came out

When did I say this? Them actually talking about drake shooting people doesn't break the tone any more than it did in UC2 when generic badman mentioned it.

I can only say the same thing so many times, so let me try one last time to word this.

Either be a power fantasy action movie but playable lots of people die and nobody cares because it's a wacky world where you can regenerate bullets and instant kill people with a stone fist and nobody cares because wow holy poo poo this entire ancient city just collapsed we have to platform on these conveniently placed handholds

OR

Be a serious look at the characters that fully goes into the psychology of why they behave the way they do, starting with them as children and having lots of people to contrast them with as they realize what's really important to them isn't this silly adventure stuff they've done before but their potential new life with their family

But don't half rear end it. By trying to be a character story about adventure shootyman but just quietly ignoring the inconvenient details to do so at best makes your writing feel really sloppy and at worst makes the characters you want your audience to relate to look like psychopaths (elena "missing the adventuring" after killing dozens of people has an awkward feel to it when you see that she has a regular home life like everyone else instead of just being sassy adventure lady). Making the characters more relatable by showing that they suck at crash bandicoot and are fed up with their somewhat unfulfilling jobs just like you the player you make the parts of them that are NOT relatable very heavily stand out.

It's "why don't they just use phoenix downs on aeris" except even more annoying because instead of magic that can have whatever arbitrary rules the writers want it's people that naughty dog wants really really hard to portray as real people in the models, writing and mocapped animations that suddenly start behaving in very unreal ways that nobody questions 5 minutes later, a sort of uncanny valley effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Neil Druckmann doesn't give a drat and neither should you.

Neil Druckmann is making an unfair comparison because none of the indy movies have a scene where he decides to become an archeologist because of his emotionally traumatic childhood and pressure from others. He just does it because he's a cool guy.

The only indy movie that takes an actual look at the character of indiana jones outside of "he's a cool guy that punches people, shoots nazis and travels around the world" in any real way is kingdom of the crystal skull, the movie everyone hated.

He's also making an unfair comparison because despite what him and many other people writing for western AAA games really want, he is not writing for film but for videogames which naturally tell stories in different ways and thus have things that can work for one medium and not another, the same way translating from book to film is not 1-1.

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 12, 2017

• Locked thread