Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hostile V posted:

The city with the orphanage might be Philadelphia. Colonial structures, political buildings, skyline and the Schuylkill River.

I can't wait till we get to the playground part and can shoot some B-ball outside of the school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Then this lunk of a guy who didn't like me no more, took away my book and called my mom a whore. I got in one little fight and the nun got pissed and said "we're throwin' you back on the streets and you're not gonna be missed."

Being serious, this game has some awesome dunks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

And that's the end of Sam. Nobody in a video game/movie has survived something like that. All the trailer shots of him in later parts of the game were just a hoax, and his presence in the opening boat fight scene was a hallucination.

Like Braid, the rest of the game is actually constantly moving backwards until we come across something different in the timeline and interacting with it causes time to resume forward.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Bruceski posted:

And that's the end of Sam. Nobody in a video game/movie has survived something like that. All the trailer shots of him in later parts of the game were just a hoax, and his presence in the opening boat fight scene was a hallucination.

Pfft, that's nothing. Ever get past the tutorial of Deus Ex Human Revolution? Or Splatterhouse?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also, forgot to mention that it's really cool of them to let you fight a minigun dude hand-to-hand sans armor.

Seriously though, did Gustavo get lost on his way to Mortalk Kombat or is he a secret Jojo character I haven't made it to yet?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bobjr posted:

I do kinda wonder why the cross needed to be hidden. Instead of "Oh I just found this cross, it's valuable on it's own but no big treasure". Especially since Rafe wants to make sure they have it even though they know about the cathedral already.

If this isn't their first time doing a treasure hunt, then they already know that people always hide the keys somewhere far away.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

is there some reason Sam's existence doesn't make sense other than goons not liking it? like he's not my favourite character in the series, but having your brother get shot in a prison and presumably die as far as you know seems like a perfectly reasonable excuse to have not mentioned him at all after it happened, so I can't think of a scene in the first three games that it "ruins"

His existing and teaching Drake the incredible usefulness of grappling hooks only for him to then never use them again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Uncharted 4 DLC: If you thought Drake's brother was out of left field, wait until we introduce HIS DOG

OH poo poo, DOGGO'S GOT A GUN

morallyobjected posted:

don't those happen after he leaves the orphanage? we don't really know much about what happens in between then and when they meet up later, and there's no real reason to think they had to be together all that time.

the grappling hook thing is minor at best, too, since there are plenty of times either it'd make no sense for him to have brought one or he ends up having to leave all his equipment behind anyway (see everything after the plane crash in 1, for example)

Still makes no sense for him to not have gloves at the least.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's really a testament to Naughty Dog's writing that you can constantly root for the bad guy in this series though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

:agreed:

Please drop this derail.

Forever

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Apep727 posted:

I think we learned something important here:

Elena is an exclusively old-school gamer. I mean, come on, the only console is an original PS1, none of this emulator, backwards-comparability nonsense.

Why doesn't she have her own game yet?

I want a Chloe spinoff, since it seems she's still doing the interesting game stuff instead of settling down and having a family.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Apep727 posted:

Yeah, but wouldn't that basically be just another Tomb Raider game? I mean, Claudia Black is awesome and all, but I'd want a bit more in a game.

How, exactly? I'm not entirely sure what'd change from playing as Nathan to Chloe.

achillesforever6 posted:

Cutter can be her Sully too

He'd also be the Nate too, since he knows history stuff.

But he'd probably talk to himself less when he figured things out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

General Ironicus posted:

All right guys, I just heard some really disheartening things about comments left on DeviousDrake69's channel and that poo poo has to stop. We won't keep making videos like this if people keep acting like assholes over it. Using a camcorder is not a moral failing.

I can't believe we're in the latter half of 2016 and this is still happening!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

I finished the level but elena's score was higher than mine so nothing in the scene changed iirc

idk what happens if you beat her score, or even if you can

That'll be covered in the three hours of easter egg videos Chip's gonna make at the end of the LP.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morrow posted:

A little off-topic, but it is incredibly hard to to find things underwater. I've chilled for a couple hours waiting for divers to locate a car that went off a bridge.

And another thing, that water looked terrible when Drake came out of it but we're supposed to believe it's just crystal clear when you're on the riverbed?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Delirare posted:

I was really close to tears at the end of the video. And then the dread started seeping in. What could happen to change the life they have there. Sure, Nate has this longing look and might be a bit of a thrill seeker... please don't let anything bad happen to them.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8274377

Elena can only just ask why she keeps getting blown up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I like to think Uncharted is actually a loose hollywood adaptation of the real adventures of Nathan Drake, and at one point in the game Nate will play Uncharted 2, set the controller down, and ask: "...They think I killed how many people? Holy poo poo!"

The Uncharted 2 game inside the Uncharted 4 game just makes Drake even more ridiculous too. He's built like every dude in Batman Arkham Asylum or Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. He's doing bicycle kicks like Liu Kang and punching holes in walls and people's abdomens, kicking missiles back at helicopters and throwing boulders off cliffs.

And the worst part is that it's never consistent either. In one scene he looks like The Rock and in another he looks like Reinhardt.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Delirare posted:

Okay, I see that now, my post was a bit over-dramatic. I'm just curious to see what tips Nate towards adventure again. Will it be Sully, calling to get some help? Maybe his probably not so dead brother? The rich stabby dude from the prison scene? His boss with some convincing arguments? Just a bit excited here.

A vampire crashing a steam roller into his house.

I don't even mean driving it, I mean, carrying and then shoving it through the roof.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

I don't think Drake is going to travel to Egypt to kill an immortal vampire.

Yeah, it takes place in Canada, oddly enough.

And if you think that's weird, wait until Drake gets his Keyblade!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

It's because the President wanted to take the most valuable collectible of them all (the napkin).

Onmi posted:

Because the president didn't pick up his hand gun, if he had, then Drake wouldn't have had a reason to shoot him. If he just picked up the hand gun, Drake would have shot him with a fingernail spinning in the opposite direction

Man, you guys are in for a treat when you get past that part.

Jesus didn't tell Drake to do anything! It was actually Tenzin all along! But wait, that doesn't make sense! Tenzin can only speak Sherpa! So they take off that mask to reveal his true identity. It was the boat that came up river the entire time!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

HEY SULLY! LOOKS TO ME LIKE THE BOAT CAME FROM UP RI-VER!

JUST LIKE A SALMON! HEY! SULLY! I THINK IT'S SPAWNING SEASON FOR THESE LITTLE GUYS!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The story's pretty decent so far. Drake and Elena got married for some reason and as such, Sully hasn't been seen in two years.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'd honestly be down with Naughty Dog making a Jackie Chan Adventures game, tbh.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Of all the bad ideas Drake has had in these games, and it might be like a 100:1 Bad:Good ratio, lying to his wife at the end there is probably the worst. What a moron that dude is.

Don't you just love CW-level drama?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

"Elena, I was trying to be retired, I really was; but my brother- who I thought died 15 years ago- just showed up at my job to tell me that he owes a crimelord 200 million dollars in gold."

"(Please don't say you're going to the authorities, please don't say you're going to the authorities, please don't say you're going to the authorities.)"

"So we're going to go hunt down Avery's treasure before some goon comes looking for Sam's organs."

"Oh thank god."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jesus, two updates right after you finished doing a 27 hour stream? What are you made of? Are you a tiny Terminator or something?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Holy balls they really could have (and should have) pushed harder for Nate to let Elena know what was really going on. Nadine got a good look at him, and even if she doesn't put it together immediately (which it seemed like she already did during the fight), Rafe will, and then they'll go after Elena to get to him. It's practically Bad Guy 101. Nate didn't even tell her to take a vacation or anything! :cripes: They're going to snatch her up so quick and easy they'll probably drop her back at home for a couple hours just so they can do it again for practice.

Nathan will realize the folly of his actions when she's held for ransom and the message is delivered with one of Elena's legs. The message reads something like 'Boy, it sure was easy to kidnap her since she had no idea this was coming, thanks for not warning her or anything, that really makes our job a whole lot easier!'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gatac posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say every unwinnable boss fight is dumb. The ones that don't signal their unwinnableness, the ones that make you waste consumables and the ones that Game Over you if you lose too early are extra dumb.

I'd say it's fine to be fighting a losing battle if and only if your objective clearly isn't winning the fight, but lasting a certain amount of time. Maybe you're covering somebody else's escape and have to hold the line, maybe you're literally running out the clock until the bell rings and the ref calls it a draw, maybe the boss's superpowers run out after five minutes, whatever - but make that clear from the getgo. Let me fight for something instead of wasting my time with a guaranteed complete failure.

In RPGs, don't roll for it if the result of the dice roll doesn't matter. In videogames, don't present something as interactive regular gameplay that could just as well be a cutscene for all that your input matters.

But then if you make it a battle you just lose in a cutscene people will complain about this random Gary Stu/Mary Sue who's so much better than you in every way and can kick your rear end one-handed too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This wouldn't be a problem if we were playing as Jackie Chan instead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

jyrque posted:

Can we talk more about ~narrative dissonance~

Boy howdy, what a psycho that Nathan Drake is, he gives one-liners as he murders people like he's Vegeta in Dragon Ball Z abridged or something, it's nuts.

Really, what they needed in that homelife section was a bit where Elena drives Nathan to his psychologist and tries to sneak away because psychology and therapy are for crazy people and I'M NOT CRAZY!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xinder posted:

I finished rewatching all of the Uncharted 3 LP and now I'm here to yell at Chip for being a drat dirty liar. We never got those Uncharted 3 mp videos.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, I really wish the game had some good mook chatter like the Arkham Asylum games. And I'm kinda getting sold on the idea of everyone regarding Nathan Drake as a Samus Aran figure.

'The Grunter has come to Scotland, already, three mountains have crumbled.'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wanderer posted:

I like to think that in whatever periodicals and websites specifically serve the interests of the mercenary community, Nathan Drake's passage across the world is tracked like it's a tropical storm front. Even the vaguest hint that he's in a given area is considered enough reason to turn down or walk away from a job.

Like The Beast in Infamous 2!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Never played it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

Henry Avery was a crazy mechanical savant, even inventing power tools centuries before anyone else. The test machines at St. Dismas were built with his favorite air-powered hex wrench. "Arrr, it's drivin' me nuts!" as he always liked to say.

Jesus Christ. :golfclap:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Abandon the letter h.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Whereas I dug the platforming and the calm moments, and stealthed my way through a lot of the shooting sections.

I tend to do that when given the option, though. I'unno why.

Probably because the option is there now. Instead of every new area being a battle room that you have to offer enough sacrifices to the gods before you can escape.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is Kojima the kinda guy who'd go with 'Greased' Sullivan or "Lubricated' Sullivan?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like how you guys keep coming up with theories about how Alcázar is going to find Sam after the get the treasure as if he's not a Satan just loving with some mortal for kicks.

They'll find Avery's treasure and it'll be filled up with gold like the Cave of Wonders and Alcázar will slowly rise up from a pile of jewels and chalices like he's standing on an elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Willie Tomg posted:

I am so stoked for this to be the case unironically

I am so looking forward to Sully having a gulp and becoming a smoke wraith. gently caress you wheel crates, our friendly abomination can just waft up the walls without you now!

• Locked thread